Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

That's looking great Electric Indigo!

Looking nice n clean so far Nyankodevice.

Thanks Arbit! Here's an idea, it's what I used on the Daedalaus elevator.

The motor sits on a swivel and the spring keeps it engaged into the drive gear. If too much power is applied, it just "skips" without grinding down the teeth. Its a type of clutch.

The motor drives a gear on a shaft with two other gears. Those gears engage into a rack of gears. The rack faces away from you so you don't see it. No slippage and you can see how small it was (1/200 valks). Hopefully the video works. The camera was overly sensitive to sound, but you get the idea. Also the original video just in case at 19:28. I think You-Tube still has the sound blocked - sorry! I hope that gives you some ideas. - MT

Eelvator Rails-Sides.JPG

Elevator Drive.JPG

Elevator Parts.JPG

Elavator Rails in Place.JPG

11 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks Arbit! Here's an idea, it's what I used on the Daedalaus elevator.

Thx Mechtech. Actually I've been reviewing your build for ideas. Your Daedalaus was a major influence in getting me into electronics. (FYI, your entire video is blocked in my country by WMG.)

BTW, what would be the closest real world aircraft carrier model kits that could be used as a basis for scratching a Prometheus? Anyone know what the Prometheus deck and bow were based on?

8 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

thx Mechtech... its just a quick build before i start my 1/20 VF-1

So how many Macross fans are there in Denmark?

3 hours ago, GMK said:

Made a start on Plamax 1/20 VF-1:

https://i.imgur.com/LNhLSw9.jpg 

Really enjoying everyone's 1/20 progress around the web.

Edited by arbit

Thanks Arbit. Sadly, there are no real aircraft carriers like the Prometheus. I researched it. Closest is the old Enterprise for the upper bow portion of the deck and today (that didn't exist then) is the Reagan onward for the bulbous bow. But still SO different than reality. Time to scratch-build some stuff! - MT 

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks Arbit. Sadly, there are no real aircraft carriers like the Prometheus. I researched it. Closest is the old Enterprise for the upper bow portion of the deck and today (that didn't exist then) is the Reagan onward for the bulbous bow. But still SO different than reality. Time to scratch-build some stuff! - MT 

Well, I'm not a perfectionist. We can use those scale kits and call it fan fiction!

The USS Eisenhower has that angled launch deck which kinda looks like the Prometheus,

Edited by arbit

22 hours ago, arbit said:

So how many Macross fans are there in Denmark?

well not many... most anime sci-fi fan will probably nod if you ask about Robotech..

but i seriously doubt anyone would know Macross and definetly not the new shows like Frontier or Delta.

i personally only know of two others who knows about Macross.

like so many others around the world i was introduced to Macross through Robotech back in the 80's

and later when the internet started to be something every household had i started looking for Robotech art, and in doing so 

learned that Robotech was not the actual show, but a bastard version of Macross.

which led me to finding my first anime downloads...

things have then spiraled out since then;):rofl:

4 minutes ago, Nyankodevice said:

well not many... most anime sci-fi fan will probably nod if you ask about Robotech..

but i seriously doubt anyone would know Macross and definetly not the new shows like Frontier or Delta.

i personally only know of two others who knows about Macross.

like so many others around the world i was introduced to Macross through Robotech back in the 80's

and later when the internet started to be something every household had i started looking for Robotech art, and in doing so 

learned that Robotech was not the actual show, but a bastard version of Macross.

which led me to finding my first anime downloads...

things have then spiraled out since then;):rofl:

Interesting. But I suspect you had Nadia on TV. Correct or no?

That‘s similar how I came back to Macross/ Robotech. I watched Robotech on U.S. Army TV in B/W back in the 80‘s, then lost track until 2013 I got hands on my first DX VF-25. By now I realized what I have missed the last 30 years. And now toy and anime collection tend to go out of control :rolleyes: But I‘m so damn fine with that!

Btw: I watched Nadia the first time just a month ago. Never heard of it before. Since then I‘m struggling with me eherner to get a Nautilus Kit or not :unknw:

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Interesting. But I suspect you had Nadia on TV. Correct or no?

Nadia i do not think we had..

but could probably be rented in a videostore or gas stations back then.

like others such as Sandybel, Starzinger, Nausicaä ect ect.

but it was first in the late 90's or very early 2000's that i found out the shows where actually Japanese.

Edited by Nyankodevice

no offence, but the US studios have a bad habit of renaming anime characters to more english sounding names.. 

which then transfers over to other language dubs.

makes it hard for kids in the 80's and 90's to know what they are actually watching

13 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

I feel glad my first encounter with Macross was the first wave of Imai kits in local modeling stores, so I could skip all the RT stuff that came later.

You are a lucky one. Never found „real“ Macross Kits in my modeling stores back in those days. And now that I could grab them I‘m lacking the time to build them.

I was backwards (like lots of things):p I kept seeing the Robotech kits in stores and finally bought one. After building two of almost every aircraft kit, a Valkyrie was new and awesome!!! And it transformed, it just didn't sit there on my shelf! One day we didn't have Track so I got home early after school and turned on TV to see the first episode of Robotech. OK, so the series got messed up in the U.S, it was still so COOL! I learned how to program my VCR (remember those) and set it with brand new high quality tapes to record. Wish I still had them just for the commercials!;) - MT

8 hours ago, MechTech said:

I was backwards (like lots of things):p I kept seeing the Robotech kits in stores and finally bought one. After building two of almost every aircraft kit, a Valkyrie was new and awesome!!! And it transformed, it just didn't sit there on my shelf! One day we didn't have Track so I got home early after school and turned on TV to see the first episode of Robotech. OK, so the series got messed up in the U.S, it was still so COOL! I learned how to program my VCR (remember those) and set it with brand new high quality tapes to record. Wish I still had them just for the commercials!;) - MT

yeah i remember those vcr's ..

also my first model kit was a F-14A Tomcat and i painted it as Roys VF-1S

9 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thrust vectoring joint?

Is that what it's called? Yes. A half revolution in either direction will give a nice effect.

The drawing shows a 6mm micro stepper which doesnt require limit switches to fit in the leg.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any torque out of micro steppers yet. I think that some specific stepper driver boards may increase the torque, but not sure yet.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  

On 12/4/2018 at 2:10 PM, Chronocidal said:

Looks like an awesome remodel, can't wait to see it painted up. :) 

One thing I noticed though, is the top engine missing that inner 6-toothed ring the other two engines have?

Thanks for asking.  Yeah, the top engine is slightly different.  It was a conscious decision because I figured the (dorsal?) top engine would have a slightly different configuration, given it's further from the CoM than the other two.  The opening is also "shallower" from the lip of the exhaust nozzle to the ring in the center than the other two are.  Make sense?

Kenny

Edited by Lt. Z0mBe

On 12/17/2018 at 12:15 AM, MechTech said:

Arbit, I would go with a geardrive and just time it if you can keep the voltage relatively constant. A clutch will add some safety to it. - MT

Thanks Mechtech, I reviewed your images, but I have no idea how that spring clutch works. Could you provide some leads for me to study to understand it?

And oh my, look what this guy did. How the heck is that lever raising the ramp? Can't figure it out.

1452603129_Rampeffect09.jpg.ef8c1abf1f0184470b25485dd7c37773.jpg892420044_Rampeffect04.jpg.17181eb54742249684b5556295618507.jpg11068536_Rampeffect01.jpg.b71ebd99b26e49fbca498858f997e867.jpg

Video doesn't want to load, but I'm guessing that motor lever arm is hooked over the metal loop mounted to the boarding ramp, and just held closed by horizontal tension.  As the tension releases, pressure against the top edge of the boarding ramp lessens, and lets the ramp sag, until it hits the ground.  There's no actual vertical force holding it closed, so the door's going to sag a bit.  Quite a nice and simple setup really, but also kind of fragile, so I'm guessing this one isn't meant to be picked up and swooshed very often.

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Video doesn't want to load, but I'm guessing that motor lever arm is hooked over the metal loop mounted to the boarding ramp, and just held closed by horizontal tension.  As the tension releases, pressure against the top edge of the boarding ramp lessens, and lets the ramp sag, until it hits the ground.  There's no actual vertical force holding it closed, so the door's going to sag a bit.  Quite a nice and simple setup really, but also kind of fragile, so I'm guessing this one isn't meant to be picked up and swooshed very often.

I noticed that as well; I'm wondering then if some type of latch could be worked into it that would be released when the motor started, and would be closed again when the ramp was drawn back up? Not sure how that would work, but just an idea.

It looks like the ramp hinges on a couple of tabs on the sides of the exit. Its gotta hinge on something - right!? Cool video.

Looking good Electric Indigo! - MT

Edited by MechTech

well, been out of the game for a while, what with work, married life and holidays and all, but back at the bench yesterday and today working on the 1:72 Bandai X-Wing... build up and primary painting done, clearcoat going down now, starting decals here in a bit. Stay tuned! 

20181223_162648.jpg

19 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I love it when good decals cooperate and look painted on... my only complaint really is that my 1:48 Finemolds kit had them already pre chipped and scratched looking.. that was a huge bonus and added to the weathered look...I'm not great at paint chipping decals... 

How do you plan to do the chipping? Paint and sponge should do it.  I would like to see it posed with a 1/72 Valk when you're done.

Meanwhile, he is cute and extremely powerful.  Color scheme by wife and daughter.

1521777455_2018-12-2315_56_20.thumb.jpg.ea471cd66a88e009e222ae1755fb8d01.jpg

Edited by arbit