Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thom, looking good. What kit is that? 

Anyway, I'm making some progress on my VF-11B and I saw the decals are a little outta whack! Anything red or grey on the sheet printed a mm or two to the right. Shame on you Hasegawa!

20180621_204644.jpg

20180621_204849.jpg

TAMIYA PAINT SALE!

MicroMark has most of their Tamiya paints on sale (minus the newer special metalics)! These are the .75oz/23ml ones -NOT the little mini ones! $2.39 each and their surface primers are on sale too. I ordered a ton since most of mine are 16-30 years old (no, not a typo). Most everything was in stock too! Link: https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=tamiya paint

If you haven't looked at their tools, try not to drool on your computer and ruin it! Sorry I haven't been online much guys, too busy!

I'm glad to see Urashiman is still alive too! It's been too long man;) - MT

On 24/06/2018 at 10:53 PM, Rock said:

The only fighter I love more than my valks!

20180624_224419.jpg

is that the Platz 1/72 resin one?

My Cockpit module has bubbles in it... hows yours?

On 6/26/2018 at 2:30 PM, electric indigo said:

Almost done, just need to snag the Gunpod from Alto's machine.

42124617045_a0bcb08621_z.jpg 28157836467_e9339fbd2c_z.jpg

42124618715_162c69ba06_z.jpg 41216574310_5f7c0dc929_z.jpg

Looking very sweet!

Currently on hold on my Seafire. I have to switch the nose out from another kit as I fubar'd it.

1 hour ago, Rock said:

20180624_205917.jpg

I see... not too different from mine...

it's not that I'm unimpressed, it's jut more than I was hoping for.

This is mine [actually I'm pretty impressed with how these turned out using my phone-camera...]:

Spoiler

20180630_111215.thumb.jpg.240ce46ef66fe4e262227f12341eba2d.jpg20180630_111502.thumb.jpg.a4f922ede6059957adf51365e6927796.jpg20180630_111509.thumb.jpg.b9c1218a4d075902b496f05fbe03b880.jpg20180630_111513.thumb.jpg.9b4eda473969a764838783dc52d00542.jpg20180630_111604_HDR.thumb.jpg.0535c3d5129ad85e25ece0bf3ca7f3e6.jpg20180630_111612_HDR.thumb.jpg.ab79b9319586d33ee72caf5d13ed1d69.jpg20180630_111624.thumb.jpg.ce688a1acf885e6c973a26028c2fb23d.jpg

Thanks for sharing Rock!

3 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I dunno if you can guess what I'm working on but one of these took longer than the other three put together to prep! I was careless glueing the parts together on one of these I guess. 

20180630_131047.jpg

Happens kinda easily on the '51 pod/tanks...

18 hours ago, slide said:

Happens kinda easily on the '51 pod/tanks...

Yeah, you guessed it. Here's some more progress on the big bird. I'm finding the grey from the instructions is lighter than I expected. 

20180701_111317.jpg

Nice work!  I've got one of these in the stash that I'm hoping to build soon. The darker tones are challenging to make look "real" but that's what I'm going to go for.  Can't wait to see how you get on.

Industria Mechanica's production of Kallamity's Breigel.  Scratched a new gun, vents, smoke launchers. tanks, and right shoulder armor.

DSC08418.jpg

DSC08412.jpg

DSC08408.jpg

DSC08402.jpg

DSC08399.jpg

6 hours ago, Kylwell said:

Industria Mechanica's production of Kallamity's Breigel.  Scratched a new gun, vents, smoke launchers. tanks, and right shoulder armor.

Whoaaaaa! You've been busy dude.  Show us the WIP on this behemoth.

That Kallamity Breigel is looking swell Kylwell.

I recommend the Abakan 2288 book to anyone interested in this type of mecha build. Great artwork and mechas there

@Electric Indigo; what green color mix did you use for the Vf-25? I have the impression that would be a great color semi- camo scheme for Luca’s RVF-25 instead of the limy-green tile originally from the anime..

Edited by 007-vf1

On 6/18/2018 at 8:22 AM, sketchley said:

Today, there was a big earthquake in Osaka.  And guess who lives uncomfortably close to the epicenter!  :vava:

What's Not Lying On My Workbench

A bunch of stuff took some nosedives off the shelves during the earthquake.  Basara -being unique- took his own route, down the back.  :wacko:

earthquake01.thumb.jpg.f7483051e8edfa70aca6e3fc4ede44cf.jpg

There was some serious forces at work.  Here are a couple of shots of some heavy bookshelves where the earthquake moved them to (left) and after they were moved back (right).  These are rather heavy pieces of furniture!

earthquake02.thumb.jpg.b437e0ae2061853347176dc9354777d2.jpg

See all those books?  That's about half of what was on one of the bookshelves pictured above! :unsure:

Anyhow, Lego cleans up easily.  Model kits... not so easily.  The final two piccies are what needed to be repaired (luckily [or annoyingly] it was mostly a bunch of ridiculously small pieces).  Alas, the VF-2SS might not be fixable.  I could only find one of the two fang-like pieces that holds the joint for the wing in the backpack.  Everything else seems to be OK.

Oh, that white thing in front of the Gundam in the last pic?  That's part of my keyboard.  The quake knocked the tower on my desktop over... onto the keyboard. :(

earthquake03.jpg

Sketchley, Devcon Plastic Welder works wonders for reattaching small pieces. You can even make parts from it; I've had to when something fell and the components vanished.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:30 AM, arbit said:

Whoaaaaa! You've been busy dude.  Show us the WIP on this behemoth.

Best I can do is the Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/robb.merrill/media_set?set=a.10208187556785981.1073741858.1213577182&type=3

I haven't built a model in about 10 years.  I wasn't very good back then because I never bothered with panel lining, primer, or putty and wasn't very good at masking, used spray paint and paint brushes rather than bothering with air brushing, and I always rushed through a build, not even waiting for paint or glue to properly dry sometimes.  The kits usually ended covered in fingerprints, paint and glue stains everywhere.  They looked like crap, but these new kits sure make it easier for the unskilled hobbyist like me. 

Anyway, my son saw a few clips of Yamato 2199 and really got into it so I started off with one of those Mecha Collection kits, which he promptly destroyed when he was about 2 yrs old.  It was an amazing little kit and the parts fit together rather well, and it was my first time experimenting with panel lining (no paint, just glue and Tamiya panel paint. 

He's a bit older now (3.5 yrs old) and is able to talk now (told him it was not a toy, and he has to be extra careful with it) so I decided to chance it and slap together a really old 1/1000 scale kit for him, which he's actually semi-careful with and hasn't obliterated yet.

The 1/1000 scale kit was good practice building again before getting into the kits that cost me a bit more money.  The fit and finish was really shitty and it turned out more or less as crappy as I expected, mainly due to the amount of effort I put into it.  

So, my first real foray back into model building I would say is this 1/500 scale Yamato kit (2010 release).  It's massive compared to the Mecha Collection and the 1/1000 scale kit, which makes it a lot easier to work on.  I can't believe the amount of detail put into this thing, but what amazes me the most is how well everything fits together compared to the 1/1000 kit.  Everything snaps together and some parts are almost seamless.  They've managed to separate pieces that require different paint so that there's minimal masking required, it's got nice, deep panel lines, and most of the nubs where the part was attached to the sprues are hidden, but I did my best to sand them down anyway.  

I'm pretty satisfied so far, and here are some crappy cell-phone pics.  I think I'll actually take the time and try to snap some decent photos of this thing soon.  

ChkmF0e.jpg

ens1VfP.jpg

cungdnv.jpg

4nr2YUr.jpg

Still only spray paint and paint brushes, but this one's turning out not completely shitty so far, at least in my opinion.

Y9YTynw.jpg

It's kind of funny, there appears to be several versions of the 1/500 scale Yamato from Bandai.  There are the really old vintage ones, which I have little to no interest in, then there's this one released in 2010, which is apparently a retooling of the older vintage kit.  This one supposedly is modeled after the Yamato from 2199 prior to it's release.  Then, there's the official 2199 version of the 1/500 kit, which is actually a lot larger than this kit, I guess because they scaled up the size of the ship in the animation.  I'm actually looking forward to building that one.

Anyway, more pics to follow.

11 minutes ago, peter said:

The 1/1000 scale kit was good practice building again before getting into the kits that cost me a bit more money.  The fit and finish was really shitty and it turned out more or less as crappy as I expected, mainly due to the amount of effort I put into it.  

Nice to see you're tackling kits again. I also came back after about a 20 year break. With these modern Bandai kits, there is really not much effort or skill required.

You're paint looks great. Spray cans can still go a long way, even for people who prefer to airbrush.

Take a look at what I did with my little 1/1000. Hope you like it.

Edited by arbit

24 minutes ago, arbit said:

Nice to see you're tackling kits again. I also came back after about a 20 year break. With these modern Bandai kits, there is really not much effort or skill required.

You're paint looks great. Spray cans can still go a long way, even for people who prefer to airbrush.

Take a look at what I did with my little 1/1000. Hope you like it.

Holy cow, that's amazing

On 2. Juli 2018 at 5:59 PM, 007-vf1 said:

@Electric Indigo; what green color mix did you use for the Vf-25? I have the impression that would be a great color semi- camo scheme for Luca’s RVF-25 instead of the limy-green tile originally from the anime..

I primed everything with a mix of 16 parts sky grey, 2 flat green and 4 field green to get rid of the blue plastic color, then used a mix of 8 white, 3 sky get and 1 flat green as a highlight color (all Tamiya acrylics)

The original plan was to build the Hase fighter (which is all prepped) in parallel, but I think I need something different in between.

@peter -- so glad to see another 1:500 2199 Yamato getting built!  I can't wait to start mine!  It's been in the "to build pile" for years now, it is really a massive kit!!! Looking forward to seeing your's complete!  It's never to late to get back to modeling!  The newer Bandai kits are phenomenal and actually fun to build! I can highly recommend their Star Wars ships and character kits, the more love and time you put in, the better they look, but you don't have to go super nuts if you don't want to! 

On 7/3/2018 at 2:58 PM, peter said:

I haven't built a model in about 10 years.  I wasn't very good back then because I never bothered with panel lining, primer, or putty and wasn't very good at masking, used spray paint and paint brushes rather than bothering with air brushing, and I always rushed through a build, not even waiting for paint or glue to properly dry sometimes.  The kits usually ended covered in fingerprints, paint and glue stains everywhere.  They looked like crap, but these new kits sure make it easier for the unskilled hobbyist like me. 

Anyway, my son saw a few clips of Yamato 2199 and really got into it so I started off with one of those Mecha Collection kits, which he promptly destroyed when he was about 2 yrs old.  It was an amazing little kit and the parts fit together rather well, and it was my first time experimenting with panel lining (no paint, just glue and Tamiya panel paint. 

He's a bit older now (3.5 yrs old) and is able to talk now (told him it was not a toy, and he has to be extra careful with it) so I decided to chance it and slap together a really old 1/1000 scale kit for him, which he's actually semi-careful with and hasn't obliterated yet.

So, my first real foray back into model building I would say is this 1/500 scale Yamato kit (2010 release).  It's massive compared to the Mecha Collection and the 1/1000 scale kit, which makes it a lot easier to work on.  I can't believe the amount of detail put into this thing, but what amazes me the most is how well everything fits together compared to the 1/1000 kit.  Everything snaps together and some parts are almost seamless.  They've managed to separate pieces that require different paint so that there's minimal masking required, it's got nice, deep panel lines, and most of the nubs where the part was attached to the sprues are hidden, but I did my best to sand them down anyway.  

I'm pretty satisfied so far, and here are some crappy cell-phone pics.  I think I'll actually take the time and try to snap some decent photos of this thing soon.  

ChkmF0e.jpg

ens1VfP.jpg

cungdnv.jpg

4nr2YUr.jpg

Still only spray paint and paint brushes, but this one's turning out not completely shitty so far, at least in my opinion.

Y9YTynw.jpg

It's kind of funny, there appears to be several versions of the 1/500 scale Yamato from Bandai.  There are the really old vintage ones, which I have little to no interest in, then there's this one released in 2010, which is apparently a retooling of the older vintage kit.  This one supposedly is modeled after the Yamato from 2199 prior to it's release.  Then, there's the official 2199 version of the 1/500 kit, which is actually a lot larger than this kit, I guess because they scaled up the size of the ship in the animation.  I'm actually looking forward to building that one.

Anyway, more pics to follow.

Looks like some great progress so far! Really nice.

1 minute ago, Urashiman said:

Finished my VE-1 yesterday.

Cool! But it deserves some better photos. Give us another look on white background.

11 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

That Elint looks perfect. It really deserves a nice photo shoot.

Thanks - I'll think I'll build a small lightbox to take better pictures of it.

11 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

Did your VF-11B have the same problem with the decals that mine did? I posted pictures earlier in this thread. 

No, I got mine when it first came out. Also, I got the normal VF-11B without the super packs.
Just a small side note: Get the Jasmine Model Photo Etched parts. It is troublesome to get the small parts onto the pieces with my sausage fingers (my tweezers are MIA), but it looks really great!

5b3f290b70011_WhatsAppImage2018-07-05at22_13_58.thumb.jpeg.3f7826ccbb7ba84f7f0d1a7b1fe82e7d.jpeg

On 7/2/2018 at 1:37 PM, Kylwell said:

DSC08418.jpg

That is such an awesome build man! Great work and thanks for sharing it here and the link to the FB page :) 

- Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form