Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

18 hours ago, arbit said:

It's a work of art. I would say it's perfect.

I grew up as a fan of the Black Tigers in the original series.

They stole every scene with their slick black and yellow uniforms. 

Thank you, Sir!  You're very kind.

Kenny

Quick diorama setup with Gunhed and 1/35 tank crew members after finishing the Mechanical Chain Bases and adding some LED lighting. Those base plates really consumed a lot of paint as well as clear coat and masking the metallic grids/ares was no fun at all. But I'm fine with the outcome!

IMG_2929.thumb.jpg.a399a7e8482f30f652a4e2b1fdd4b3fe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed it's been a while since we got a new post.

So I pretty much finished my first full knight for House Jenius, I just need to do the house emblem.

20180606_213741-1008x756.jpg.8f0b2fd3dcdd1d6696e9b9ce2668d430.jpg

Also going to be working on another xenotech version of a new kit GW is releasing this weekend. Hope to have it done by friday night for a game this weekend.

20180606_215335_crop_709x756.jpg.53cada2868de05321a06ab2b6e9ef876.jpg

Hey Derex,

Sanding is the worst part of modeling!!!  So is this stuff water soluble when wet and once its dried, it becomes impervious to water?

Yes sir. As you can see from the pics, because of the absolute butcher job I did getting the parts off the resin blocks.. (sorry Cap)... didn't have the appropriate tools at the time and got impatient...this was always gonna be a putty heavy project. With the new stuff I applied it, wiped it off mostly with a moist finger tip, wiped it off with a paper towel or qtip and went to go take the wife to dinner. Got back and applied a bit more water for cleanup and the result can be seen all around the gear doors. I even managed to recreate a pretty convincing leading edge rounded putty job where the wing meets the body that I had snapped off. Sigh... if only I had known about this stuff sooner! 

20180607_194714.jpg

20180607_194734.jpg

20180607_194737.jpg

Edited by derex3592

@derex3592imo the white putty from tamiya is one of their worst product. There is a big difference when I used the standard grey putty but Thanks, I will try to look for that perfect putty here since anything water based/soluble is a plus on me.

I think the next question would be, does it shrink when fully cured? (most likely yes)

Lots of cool stuff guys! I've been too busy to get online lately for hobby stuff. Gotta finish the Dougram Ironfoot by midmonth to make it to the next modelr's meeting. I was pratically dared too. On that note, getting there!

You can see the cheap $1.00 LED board I used then replaced the LEDs on it by soldering the dashboard lights in. The flashing lights caused the white "headlights" to blink so I soldered a huge capacitor in series to give the white lights a steadier stream of power. The red button on the back selects the blinking modes. All the dash board lights can flash in a given sequence now to add action. I cut short aluminum tube segments on my lathe then placed them over a thick piece of wire after cleaning up the edges. That's how I got more realistic looking armored tubes. I think I'll keep them and the smoke discharger barrels raw aluminum for some "bling." Ironfoot should be called "leadfoot" after putting batteries in them to power everything.

Thansk for your feedback guys and I'll try and get online more this week. Hopefully things have calmed down somewhat work wise. - MT

0609181626g.jpg

0609181627b.jpg

0609181628a.jpg

0609181628e.jpg

0610181824c.jpg

0609181723d.jpg

0610181824.jpg

0609181630d.jpg

0610181825a.jpg

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

I soldered a huge capacitor in series to give the white lights a steadier stream of power.

I've learned that those capacitors have important uses with Arduino to control power surges. You know I have no real electric circuit knowledge, everything I do with Arduino is off the shelf, like wiring for dummies. You don't need a lot of skill to make it work.

A lot of tutorials advise putting a capacitor on neopixel leds and servo motors to steady the current and avoid burnout or overload/reset.

So a question for you real techies:  do you need a separate capacitor for each object connected to the Arduino for surge protection, or would one capacitor on the main +- protect everything? And going even further, would putting the capacitor right on the battery that leads into the Arduino protect everything?

The thing is, when used just for protection, you can't really tell if the capacitor is doing anything or not.

Edited by arbit

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 1:45 AM, Focslain said:

Noticed it's been a while since we got a new post.

So I pretty much finished my first full knight for House Jenius, I just need to do the house emblem.

20180606_213741-1008x756.jpg.8f0b2fd3dcdd1d6696e9b9ce2668d430.jpg

Also going to be working on another xenotech version of a new kit GW is releasing this weekend. Hope to have it done by friday night for a game this weekend.

20180606_215335_crop_709x756.jpg.53cada2868de05321a06ab2b6e9ef876.jpg

Any Primaris marines you find... smash them! Those 2W Hellblaster swinging jerks have been a pain in the ass to drop. Especially with Girlyman back on the field!

4 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Any Primaris marines you find... smash them! Those 2W Hellblaster swinging jerks have been a pain in the ass to drop. Especially with Girlyman back on the field!

Primaris aren't too much of an issue for knights. Two main weapons shown on the above models, the avenger gatling cannon (12 shots S6, -2AP, 2dmg) and the Helverin autocannon (2d3 shots S7, -1AP, 3dmg) are very well suited for primaris. Also I've fought bobby G with knights (per codex) and he lasted a turn before he was thrown from the field. Seriously two fails against a 6dmg weapon and his out.

On a side note one of our Tales group is doing Imperial Fist primaris, he hates my knights and they are only getting worse for him now that we have a proper codex. Soooo many good relics, praise the Omnissiah.

And to keep on topic, it's a bit rough, but here's another WIP of the small knight.

20180608_223543-1209x907.jpg.4b0aefb1a310e5d63232b79ef1f9c5dc.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Focslain said:

Primaris aren't too much of an issue for knights. Two main weapons shown on the above models, the avenger gatling cannon (12 shots S6, -2AP, 2dmg) and the Helverin autocannon (2d3 shots S7, -1AP, 3dmg) are very well suited for primaris. Also I've fought bobby G with knights (per codex) and he lasted a turn before he was thrown from the field. Seriously two fails against a 6dmg weapon and his out.

On a side note one of our Tales group is doing Imperial Fist primaris, he hates my knights and they are only getting worse for him now that we have a proper codex. Soooo many good relics, praise the Omnissiah.

And to keep on topic, it's a bit rough, but here's another WIP of the small knight.

20180608_223543-1209x907.jpg.4b0aefb1a310e5d63232b79ef1f9c5dc.jpg

those guns look so much like Tau weapons.

I'm building a District 9 themed Tau army

3 hours ago, NZEOD said:

those guns look so much like Tau weapons.

I'm building a District 9 themed Tau army

Well your not wrong, those are the heavy rail rifle from the current Tau broadside kit. Love to see your work, you doing a riptide up like the mech suit at the end of the film?

Also started work on the new big knight kit. Which after I finish this 40K mecha run I have a gundam to build.

20180613_225135-1008x756.jpg.79acc2dc40d3d90aadb3eda137fd342b.jpg

Hey Arbit. I don't know about a cap for each item, but it may help. It DRASTICALLY (but not completely) reduced the flashing, and therefore surges. You turn it on and it takes a second to charge before the lights come on - kinda cool. - MT

After 6 days, I think assembly is mostly done (except maybe stickers and other additional stuff to make it photo- and display-friendly). I only went to work for 2 days this week, so I guess it could have been done in 4 days if there was no interruption due to work. Over-all I admire this kit, and I would not have been so frustrated at first if I didn't have to 'rush' through it. As a consequence I made mistakes but I don't mind as I really wanted to finish this ASAP to ease my backlog of unbuilt kits. Hopefully I can start the next kit to build tomorrow or Sunday.

large.20180615_votoms.jpg.3b887156f1f7f3578cc70e882e1e9860.jpg

Today, there was a big earthquake in Osaka.  And guess who lives uncomfortably close to the epicenter!  :vava:

What's Not Lying On My Workbench

A bunch of stuff took some nosedives off the shelves during the earthquake.  Basara -being unique- took his own route, down the back.  :wacko:

earthquake01.thumb.jpg.f7483051e8edfa70aca6e3fc4ede44cf.jpg

There was some serious forces at work.  Here are a couple of shots of some heavy bookshelves where the earthquake moved them to (left) and after they were moved back (right).  These are rather heavy pieces of furniture!

earthquake02.thumb.jpg.b437e0ae2061853347176dc9354777d2.jpg

See all those books?  That's about half of what was on one of the bookshelves pictured above! :unsure:

Anyhow, Lego cleans up easily.  Model kits... not so easily.  The final two piccies are what needed to be repaired (luckily [or annoyingly] it was mostly a bunch of ridiculously small pieces).  Alas, the VF-2SS might not be fixable.  I could only find one of the two fang-like pieces that holds the joint for the wing in the backpack.  Everything else seems to be OK.

Oh, that white thing in front of the Gundam in the last pic?  That's part of my keyboard.  The quake knocked the tower on my desktop over... onto the keyboard. :(

earthquake03.jpg

20 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Today, there was a big earthquake in Osaka.  And guess who lives uncomfortably close to the epicenter!  :vava:

What's Not Lying On My Workbench

A bunch of stuff took some nosedives off the shelves during the earthquake.  Basara -being unique- took his own route, down the back.  :wacko:

earthquake01.thumb.jpg.f7483051e8edfa70aca6e3fc4ede44cf.jpg

There was some serious forces at work.  Here are a couple of shots of some heavy bookshelves where the earthquake moved them to (left) and after they were moved back (right).  These are rather heavy pieces of furniture!

earthquake02.thumb.jpg.b437e0ae2061853347176dc9354777d2.jpg

See all those books?  That's about half of what was on one of the bookshelves pictured above! :unsure:

Anyhow, Lego cleans up easily.  Model kits... not so easily.  The final two piccies are what needed to be repaired (luckily [or annoyingly] it was mostly a bunch of ridiculously small pieces).  Alas, the VF-2SS might not be fixable.  I could only find one of the two fang-like pieces that holds the joint for the wing in the backpack.  Everything else seems to be OK.

Oh, that white thing in front of the Gundam in the last pic?  That's part of my keyboard.  The quake knocked the tower on my desktop over... onto the keyboard. :(

earthquake03.jpg

Ouch man, well glad to see your doing ok. Good luck on the repairs and hope your place is still structurally sound.

Man, while it hurts to see the disorder, I'm glad there was no greater damage!

I actually remember an earthquake in my region in the 90s, happens every 200 years or so, I'm not keen on going through such an experience again. On top of the shock, a picture came down from the wall and smashed my precious AMT Speeder Bike kit.

-

Got things done today. A parting shot before this goes under the back of the Battroid:

41071641200_e736514577_z.jpg

A couple of minutes and a handful of swearing later:

42833317442_6ab2f99998_z.jpg

ve-1.jpg.0818280746067f17872d44060710401c.jpg

This one is on my backlog for over 10 years now. I can't even remember when I bought it. Must have been 2004 - 2005 ish. Now I am finally building it. My first Hasegawa Valk with super packs.

The interesting thing: the kit quality is really good. I was building a VF-1A in Kakizaki colors some days ago and the parts had problems with fitting and gaps. It could be that the mold hasegawa uses slowly is degrading. This VE-1 is fitting together really good, but still it needs some sanding here and there as well as gap filling.

14 hours ago, Focslain said:

Ouch man, well glad to see your doing ok. Good luck on the repairs and hope your place is still structurally sound.

Thanks for the kind words guys.  It appears that we lucked out.  Most of the older houses in our area (heavy tile roofs) have suffered some kind of damage.  Ours is much more recent.

An update on the repairs:

earthquake04.jpg.21baaa26cb39bcbc76ec2b75cf9d6d9e.jpg

Luckily the VF-2SS only flops when inverted.  So, as long as it is displayed normal, it's not a problem.  (see next pict)

The others repaired nicely (including the keyboard stand - not pictured).  Alas, the joint on the Drakken's drone support is loose...  (right pict)

earthquake05.jpg.39fd0cbce1f0fb41a816fc2096cdfe17.jpg

Here's the current display on top of the bookshelf (alas that Lill-drakken).

The right picture is the other Macross display after the quake.  While Max's VF-1 had taken a nose dive off the shelf due to the wind ages ago, I was surprised that even the Phalanx was knocked off it's feet.  Those Bandai VF-1... are a real pain to get to stand up straight!  :lol:

earthquake06.jpg.2bf6e6db25f7a9e7e26dca17d9f629f1.jpg

And a true-blue "What's On My Workbench":

That's a VF-0 mid-build, and the Tomahawk and miscellaneous vehicles come from the Armoured Factory set (I think both sets just need panel lining and decals).  The Zentradi dude (from the Nujaderu-Ga set) is mid painting, and the Rigado... his legs are a floppy mess.  Any suggestions on how to remedy that?  :lol:

earthquake07.jpg.4e1753ebec42f026ee1d27723c674b28.jpg

electric indigo, that's some nice work. It's a shame it will be hidden in battroid mode. Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Urashiman, that Elint is coming along nicely. Ten years is a long time but at least you're working on finishing it. I've noticed the same thing about mold degradation with my vf-1 kits. It's gonna get worse now that they're kit bashing the molds for the Gerwalk kits. 

sketchley, I'm glad you're ok. I was in Osaka this time last year. I'm also working on a VF-0 battroid except I'm on Urashiman's schedule with it. 

Hervé! Wow you are a model kit building god among men! That mustang looks amazing!

I'm currently working on a VF-11B and just finished up a Leo. I'm building it 'gear up' and it's taking some time.  

20180620_213832.jpg

20180620_214226.jpg

15 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

electric indigo, that's some nice work. It's a shame it will be hidden in battroid mode. Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Urashiman, that Elint is coming along nicely. Ten years is a long time but at least you're working on finishing it. I've noticed the same thing about mold degradation with my vf-1 kits. It's gonna get worse now that they're kit bashing the molds for the Gerwalk kits. 

sketchley, I'm glad you're ok. I was in Osaka this time last year. I'm also working on a VF-0 battroid except I'm on Urashiman's schedule with it. 

Hervé! Wow you are a model kit building god among men! That mustang looks amazing!

I'm currently working on a VF-11B and just finished up a Leo. I'm building it 'gear up' and it's taking some time.  

20180620_213832.jpg

20180620_214226.jpg

Yeah - it's a pitty with the VF-1 kits ... But hey - I got a bunch of other kits as well. When done with the VE-1, I'd probably build my VF-11 or try my first WAVE kit ... the VF-4 :D

BTW: nice build, I like the washing. It looks really clean.