Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

11 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

made new hair from scratch for this paper figure, since the standard hair was too simplistic:huh:

Love what you do with papercraft! 

What are the differences with model painting? Do you airbrush with acrylics and gloss?

The Ohm base now has all of its (very small) acid lake. Painted it to look sufficiently unhealthy (using my experience with mixing acids in the lab:lol:). Also added copious amounts of Ohm blood and put the machine gun in place:

IMG_8657.thumb.jpg.5c17300a0530af009d51c98fb6ed7fc9.jpg

Also trying to make something decent out of this old Eidai Bertone Panther car kit:

IMG_8654.thumb.jpg.509d625b1818bfb79ae3e59110a9a1b9.jpg

I bought it about a decade ago, the kit was started and incomplete (didn't pay enough attention when buying it), soon realised the bodywork was more or less accurate but the interior absolutely not, tried modding it back then, failed, and so it ended up on the "started but not finished"-stack:rolleyes:. Now I figure I should at least be able to build it as a decent looking curbside kit. Took care of the engine bay (did I mention there's a wind-up engine in there?), now working on the interior.

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Love what you do with papercraft! 

What are the differences with model painting? Do you airbrush with acrylics and gloss?

paper ain't that different from plastic, you can paint with airbrush regular brush, weathering ect. ect ;)

this is what the original hair looked like...

An-Anime-Girl-Figure-Papercraft.jpg.b37a6797856f0741a13520179f951da0.jpg

what i did with the new hair "strands" to strengthen them was to add a drop of extra thin superglue

making them as resilient as plasticard... ^_^ 

Superglue on paper is great! You can do the same thing with fiberglass too for lightweight applications.

I'm redoing some thing on the gunship. More as I get more done. - MT

My latest:

104_1366.thumb.JPG.f3b3a414a9bfb89b27eeb6ccd05b9619.JPG104_1367.thumb.JPG.30b85fd8c2d1dc506de127ec3a874565.JPG

The old Revel "USS Missouri" model; I'm refitting it to the modernized version, but she still needs the masts (including weather mast on the bow) and a bunch of other work. Just found ti easier to mount her in place in the ocean, then work on the masts and stuff on a nice stable surface.

Would you believe the "water" is Styrofoam covered with wrinkled aluminum foil, then painted with car paint?

Edited by pengbuzz

On 9/3/2017 at 3:05 PM, arbit said:

Just had a terrible experience with Vallejo Liquid Mask on my resin figures, as detailed below. Wish I had seen it earlier.

Back to sticky tack for me.

That liquid mask is equally disastrous on flat surfaces: simply impossible to remove in one piece, with little bits staying behind every single time. It also dissolves in certain types of acrylic paints...:rolleyes:

I've had really good luck with the Humbrol liquid mask.  It's basically purple rubber cement.  Never used the green stuff in the video so I'm not sure if they're the same thing, chemically.  But my experience has been really good with the purple stuff.  It comes off easily, dries very quickly and as far as I've experienced, doesn't seem to react with my acrylic paints.  The last part is surprising, as the smell of the stuff is definitely of the ammonia variety and usually that spells disaster for acrylic paints.

14 hours ago, mickyg said:

I've had really good luck with the Humbrol liquid mask.  It's basically purple rubber cement.  Never used the green stuff in the video so I'm not sure if they're the same thing, chemically.  But my experience has been really good with the purple stuff.  It comes off easily, dries very quickly and as far as I've experienced, doesn't seem to react with my acrylic paints.  The last part is surprising, as the smell of the stuff is definitely of the ammonia variety and usually that spells disaster for acrylic paints.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I've spent a week stripping my figures after that dastardly Vallejo mask. Usually I trust their products.

How does Humbrol do with little cracks and crevices? Does it pull right off in one piece?

11 hours ago, arbit said:

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I've spent a week stripping my figures after that dastardly Vallejo mask. Usually I trust their products.

How does Humbrol do with little cracks and crevices? Does it pull right off in one piece?

It remains flexible so it's got a much better chance of coming away, even in cracks. That said, I've definitely had it stick in the odd place and not peel off in one piece.  But generally that's because I didn't put it on thick enough in those areas.  I'm not sure how readily available Humbrol stuff is in the US but it's everywhere down here in Australia.  And for the most part, I avoid it. I think it's because it's all enamel paints and I stopped using those years ago, switching to Acrylic and Lacquers instead.

But the masking liquid I'd happily buy again!

Edited by mickyg

On 9/7/2017 at 9:53 PM, Nyankodevice said:

got some more done on the Sivil figurine:D

what i did was draping the figurine in vita wrap, then applying milliput, so that

i could take it of again, easier to work with that way ;)

Nice trick.

Meanwhile, newly installed rear observation window. Never knew it would be so hard to find clear pearls. They only sell colored ones!!!!! 

59b41c3e9a9f4_2017-09-0514_17_24.thumb.jpg.b27afe4076d6ac9f41acac4079d0c9e9.jpg

9 hours ago, Dobber said:

Wow! Really nice build, great work! Just a tipfor posing, though, the AT-AT's legs aren't supposed to bend backwards. ;)

Chris

It got me thinking "What happens if it has to back up?"

8 hours ago, Thom said:

Nice At-At and awesome Yamato!

And I shouldn't be having these thoughts about an inanimate doll...

if the thoughts were about either the AT-AT or yamato i would be concerned....:wacko:

great work on those those btw also the snow effect looks goodB))

if you mean my Sivil figure... well..  you are not the only one i imagine... ;)

On 9/9/2017 at 7:13 PM, derex3592 said:

weeeelll....i won't tell if you won't cause the fake snow has dried and he's stuck down for good now i think....:unsure:

No problem, your secret is safe with me! ;)

Chris