Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

21 hours ago, coronadlux said:

Here's a close-up.

20170630_174220.jpg

I would definitely score it along the separation lines, then GENTLY work it free. That looks like someone didn't want the part to ever move again.

If possible, score it from both sides. After you free it, use a needle file to clean the parts back up to their original specs.

47 minutes ago, Kelsain said:

Nice, arbit! I've had Kai on my workbench since 1998! God, I need to start finishing things...

Well, it was a challenge to hide the seem lines. It will need a lot of hand brush detailing. 

Lets see how I do.

17 hours ago, Salamander said:

Nausicaa's one is called "Kai".;) Those Bandai kits are quite nice, even though the included Nausicaa figures look a bit too chubby in my opinion.

Yes the Kai sculpt is gorgeous. My problem with the figure is it doesn't have Miyazaki hands :(

595864c8cf750_2017-07-0207_09_25.thumb.jpg.30a857064acfeef4b58754498eec2ae8.jpg

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Yes the Kai sculpt is gorgeous. My problem with the figure is it doesn't have Miyazaki hands :(

That's it. I'm buying one. I've always wanted to get one and if you say the sculpt is gorgeous then I'm in.

2 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

That's it. I'm buying one. I've always wanted to get one and if you say the sculpt is gorgeous then I'm in.

Awesome. Anyone done a Gunship to show?

5 hours ago, Nyankodevice said:

im about to build the gunship actually... but nothing to show yet :p

Did you ever finish the Mowe?

On 7/1/2017 at 3:16 PM, pengbuzz said:

I would definitely score it along the separation lines, then GENTLY work it free. That looks like someone didn't want the part to ever move again.

If possible, score it from both sides. After you free it, use a needle file to clean the parts back up to their original specs.

I'm going to have to do that then. 

I'll keep you all updated on the progress

19 hours ago, coronadlux said:

I'm going to have to do that then. 

I'll keep you all updated on the progress

Okay; just keep in mind to work SLOWLY. Don't try to rush anything; it's going to take some time. I really wish i could be of more help to you on this one. :(

Working on cleaning up some recent second hand acquisitions that had a bit of a heavy look to the panel lines.  The stickers were applied really well and heavily applied lines might have appealed to some.  I prefer a more subtle look personally so set about trying to scale it back a bit.  Luckily the lines responded really well to plain Gundam marker eraser (GM300) and a cotton swab.  For some stubborn areas, a toothbrush was used.  For the Yamato valks, it appears the paint is acrylic, as the Gundam eraser was not kind at all to the tampo printed kite symbol and the red painted areas on Hikaru's ride.

Seems Bandai go this route with their paints as well.  I'm guessing it's a safety thing across the board for most toys in the last decade or so.

Here's progress so far.  I've still to do some trimming of stickers to get rid of the bleed under the edges.  If this fails, I'll probably just remove them altogether.

The left wing has been cleaned up, the right has not (reverse that since these are the bottoms of the wings):

IMG_20170703_080029.thumb.jpg.e3fe3278a836e96e009552c4bf420f1a.jpg

I think I've started on the the left side in this image.

IMG_20170703_090704.thumb.jpg.b9aeb94518422e396caf2a9e767fca66.jpg

Right wing mostly done and left wing just started. You can see how aggressive the gundam eraser fluid is on the red stripe and the kite symbol.

IMG_20170703_154212.thumb.jpg.558e2aa55e93775e956a98a9bc969ef1.jpg

You can make out an oddity on this one as well - Parts of this copy of the 1J have yellowed pretty obviously.  But the head and a few other bits and pieces have not.  Strangely, the yellowing is present inside the wheel wells too.  Obviously not UV related from the sun, is my thinking.

IMG_20170703_120034.thumb.jpg.1c5b25ae18426e4059b146ccc987fd2a.jpg

Everything torn down and ready for reassembly.  The process is a bit wasteful on cotton swabs.

IMG_20170704_104757.thumb.jpg.211324435b71298b10c45c2a35d49340.jpg

All back together:

IMG_20170704_122709.thumb.jpg.c5eba4f884f23949854f5ef2da5b6da0.jpg

I figured I'd take inspiration out of the Nausicaa with Kai build and would start my Nausicaa and Ohm kit ^_^:

IMG_8369.thumb.jpg.50a056d5c2b020d5dc9e60ed17fe0df6.jpg

IMG_8371.thumb.jpg.fd3af6a8b93723c8408197be42f6c035.jpg

There's a nasty seam that runs right over the middle of the Ohm, but it seems to be doable with some Mr. Surfacer 500. What's less good is that Bandai chose to mold all of the legs in a flexible plastic that's pretty much impossible to clean up properly except by cutting into it...and the leg parts have some mold alignment issues<_< As Bandai also hasn't included a base, I think I will make my own to try to replicate the scene of the Ohm on the beach so I can hide the legs a bit.

I also don't remember having these kind of fit issues on the included figure when I build the Nausicaa with Kai kit:

IMG_8370.thumb.jpg.57a8880149a566294223ebaff3aaca32.jpg

I had to shorten the neck and waist pegs by at least a mm to get a somewhat decent fit.

Edited by Salamander

1 hour ago, Salamander said:

I figured I'd take inspiration out of the Nausicaa with Kai build and would start my Nausicaa and Ohm kit ^_^:

Cool. I would like to try to bring out all those bumps on the Ohmu with preshades and post shades and panel washes after a base coat of color.

After a good gloss coat on the base color of Nausicaa, I was able to do some acrylic colored washes that run through all the grooves in the sculpt.

595b8177c1642_2017-07-0415_27_34.thumb.jpg.a133185b44fe1db6e7ecda75c0bc371d.jpg

Edited by arbit

10 hours ago, mickyg said:

You can make out an oddity on this one as well - Parts of this copy of the 1J have yellowed pretty obviously.  But the head and a few other bits and pieces have not.  Strangely, the yellowing is present inside the wheel wells too.  Obviously not UV related from the sun, is my thinking.

IMG_20170703_120034.thumb.jpg.1c5b25ae18426e4059b146ccc987fd2a.jpg

You can soak some White Spirit in a kitchen paper and gently apply this to the nose to see if the yellowing goes off. I generally do this to "clean" my Yamatos VF-1 and the paint resists well. Surprisingly every time I think that my yamato had yellowed, it was only "yellow dust" that comes from manipulating/transforming the toy and it disappears after a cleaning.

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  It is odd that it's inside the surfaces that aren't exposed though.  The wheel wells are one but the back side of the back plate (in battroid) that you can only see when it's been disassembled, this bit was also yellowing.  Still, white spirit is easy enough for me to try.

Very surprised that it won't strip the paint, given it's a form of alcohol and the gundam eraser fluid is (I think) also alcohol based.  I'll have to see how it goes and just be careful around the paint.

SDF-1 Project final Update:

I completed the stand and gave it a proper (albeit minimal) deco:

101_1348.thumb.JPG.a182e5be652aa40f6244aa77dd284f91.JPG

I also removed and rebuilt the transform linkages for the booms; this time, they are machined out od solid chunks of ABS plastic (scrap from an old printer):

101_1350.thumb.JPG.4c1794c4cd5fcfd83c920788255c7d9d.JPG

That should finish off the project, and finally bring a dream I had years ago to completion: making a transforming Macross out of the 1/5000 SDF-1 kit:

101_1347.thumb.JPG.f58199c048e1c055d78a72fefefaa981.JPG101_1349.thumb.JPG.4a3a0b24960a3274d0f6b37657d3bfe8.JPG

Thanks goes out to Kelsain (for the kit), Thom, Arbit, Xigfrid and the rest of the gang here for the encouragement and ideas!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On another project: I'm currently doing a rebuild on the Zentraedi cruiser model I recently built. I was unhappy with the details and whatnot, and tore some of it down as to add cannon emplacement, engine thrust vectors and more.

Stay tuned...

Edited by pengbuzz

13 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

101_1348.thumb.JPG.a182e5be652aa40f6244aa77dd284f91.JPG

I also removed and rebuilt the transform linkages for the booms; this time, they are machined out od solid chunks of ABS plastic (scrap from an old printer):

101_1350.thumb.JPG.4c1794c4cd5fcfd83c920788255c7d9d.JPG

That should finish off the project, and finally bring a dream I had years ago to completion: making a transforming Macross out of the 1/5000 SDF-1 kit:

101_1347.thumb.JPG.f58199c048e1c055d78a72fefefaa981.JPG101_1349.thumb.JPG.4a3a0b24960a3274d0f6b37657d3bfe8.JPG

Thanks goes out to Kelsain (for the kit), Thom, Arbit, Xigfrid and the rest of the gang here for the encouragement and ideas!

On another project: I'm currently doing a rebuild on the Zentraedi cruiser model I recently built. I was unhappy with the details and whatnot, and tore some of it down as to add cannon emplacement, engine thrust vectors and more.

Stay tuned...

Looks great on her stand. Very nice!

On July 4, 2017 at 9:46 PM, pengbuzz said:

Stay tuned...

Great job, Pengbuzz! Happy to to have helped make this happen!

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Can anyone give me the length of the Daedalus and Prometheus in the Bandai/Imai 1/8000 Strom Attacker kit?

I just happen to have mine sitting nearby: 

The deck of the Prometheus is 55mm long, including the pokey bits on the front. The hull itself if 53mm.

The Daedalus is 53mm long.

2 hours ago, Kelsain said:

I just happen to have mine sitting nearby: 

The deck of the Prometheus is 55mm long, including the pokey bits on the front. The hull itself if 53mm.

The Daedalus is 53mm long.

Thanks. So that means I need in scale Arcadia and Space Battleship Yamato :D

21 hours ago, derex3592 said:

wow! I don't know what it is, but great paint job!!! 

Nausicaa is sad you dont know who she is. Go watch it.

Edited by arbit