Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, spanner said:

That is amazing! :o:good:

Awesome! Including the green bench tops! :p:lol:

...unfortunately I'm going to have to say goodbye to that green bench top as we are selling the house and dissolving a... difficult... marriage. So my model building updates will be taking a break for a bit while we sort out the finances and living arrangements for all involved and I can continue with the Macross addiction. One bonus is I wont have to see any more models drop kicked down the road. BONUS!!!

No need for anyones condolences etc as it is what it is. In the meantime I will be continuing with a few of the VF-1s and the YF-25 Prophecy on my down time, between taking the Tuono RR out for a hoon and going Gliding. 

Ouch NZEOD, we all knew your hall would be a long project, I hope this won't get your passion away from Macross!

I had a few things to order from Shapeways, so I rushed a  bit this project. The super on the legs are a nightmare to measure/ 3D model but fortunately I could make the head and the hand super part completed for this order, I will be receiving them under 3 weeks I hope.

05M_head.jpg

NZEOD... no words are suitable.

Anyway, this is my limit switch set up for your opinions:

I'm planning to drill a screw through the moving arm which will hit the up and down limits. I will reinforce the screw with some pla plate so it doesnt bend when hitting the switches. I will also superglue and screw those switches in place. 

The stinking arm only actually moves about 7mm to move the wings. So the margin for error is slim. I might get lucky the first time, but just in case I have made a removable base for the switches so I can readjust if I'm off by too much.

58ef8e056c6ff_2017-04-1316_34_52.thumb.jpg.da96758dd5114d260ff765aa27534f04.jpg

5 hours ago, arbit said:

NZEOD... no words are suitable.

Anyway, this is my limit switch set up for your opinions:

I'm planning to drill a screw through the moving arm which will hit the up and down limits. I will reinforce the screw with some pla plate so it doesnt bend when hitting the switches. I will also superglue and screw those switches in place. 

The stinking arm only actually moves about 7mm to move the wings. So the margin for error is slim. I might get lucky the first time, but just in case I have made a removable base for the switches so I can readjust if I'm off by too much.

58ef8e056c6ff_2017-04-1316_34_52.thumb.jpg.da96758dd5114d260ff765aa27534f04.jpg

Looks workable and tidy

NZEOD, all the same, that sucks! We'll be your polystyrene support group!

Arbit, if you connect the switches to a meter or a light, you'll know when they trigger. That might take some of the guesswork out for you. Yes, it is tough to work that out. The downside to scratch building, YOU engineer the whole thing. If my ship was a kit, I'd be done with the second one already! - MT

10 hours ago, electric indigo said:

And I finally put some paint on Batou's Lotus!

33884870811_e4874b8dfe_z.jpg

Wait for the baby blue interior...

nice finish!

Well, just finished assembling the YF-25 Prophecy... what a piece of shite that thing is to assemble and get nice and tight!!

21 hours ago, electric indigo said:

And I finally put some paint on Batou's Lotus!

33884870811_e4874b8dfe_z.jpg

Wait for the baby blue interior...

Looking good! Will it come with the guns in the doors?

4 hours ago, arbit said:

My daughters project. She says its a boat! Future paper crafter?

2017-04-14 12.29.03.jpg

Interesting. Certainly looks like it will float. Can't wait to see more!

I've attached the limit switches with styrene pegs. Very happy with the result. They take the hit very well.

Now I need to figure out how to anchor the motor case to the hull. I hope epoxy will be strong enough to hold it. 

58f4991633331_2017-04-1713_54_02.thumb.jpg.c654a3f8a779c24b1ac5e83768093ca9.jpg

Just sprayed up a custom mix Candy Aqua onto the Sv-262Ba... Tamiya Fine Detail Primer, Alclad II Black Gloss Base, Alclad II Bright Silver Candy Base, Alclad II Candy Enamel.

Looking forward to the results once its cure tomorrow.

On 4/17/2017 at 4:33 AM, arbit said:

I've attached the limit switches with styrene pegs. Very happy with the result. They take the hit very well.

Now I need to figure out how to anchor the motor case to the hull. I hope epoxy will be strong enough to hold it. 

58f4991633331_2017-04-1713_54_02.thumb.jpg.c654a3f8a779c24b1ac5e83768093ca9.jpg

Rough up the mating surfaces before you epoxy, it'll improve grip.

spent ages spraying up the candy and the chrome details, wait 24hrs for it to cure, fired some light coats of Alclad II Gloss Klear Kote at it and what do you know.... it dissolves Alclad Polished Ali... DAMNIT!!!

Arbit, I just prep and superglue them! Just have to watch the glue and gears if its that open gearbox.

That stinks NZEOD! I'm afraid of the same thing happening. I need to buy mostly new paints and I'm afraid if I switch to another brand (other than Tamiya) I'd have the same issue.

Those look great Thom! I'm so used to seeing them in green. - MT

Ha ha! We saw that last one wit the anti-idol missiles. I forgot what anime that was from. That looks great Arbit! It will be great automated.

Now where's my photo of the squid juice missile...? - MT

50 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

Adding more stuff on my sanding bench... and still a few more parts to go as you can imagine. 

*snip*

Did you figure out how to attach the nose thruster piece and have it be removable?

On 4/19/2017 at 4:39 PM, MechTech said:

Ha ha! We saw that last one wit the anti-idol missiles. I forgot what anime that was from. That looks great Arbit! It will be great automated.

Now where's my photo of the squid juice missile...? - MT

I read that quick and thought it said "Anti-IDIOT missiles"! ROFL!!!

Meantime, I resumed work on my scratchbuilt Regult 1/72 scale (I hope!):

101_1024.thumb.JPG.543aab5eaf9029a5d55a57843947ef75.JPG101_1023.thumb.JPG.01a50b7bcd926314314bc68d517d4793.JPG101_1025.thumb.JPG.53c0fe837ca651bb8752502a39d92ff4.JPG101_1026.thumb.JPG.10bc1065587774abe96c752b1a64e819.JPG

On 4/18/2017 at 7:33 PM, MechTech said:

Arbit, I just prep and superglue them! Just have to watch the glue and gears if its that open gearbox.

That stinks NZEOD! I'm afraid of the same thing happening. I need to buy mostly new paints and I'm afraid if I switch to another brand (other than Tamiya) I'd have the same issue.

Those look great Thom! I'm so used to seeing them in green. - MT

Crap that shouldn't have happened? Had you thinned the clear coat by any chance?

6 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Did you figure out how to attach the nose thruster piece and have it be removable?

Yes, I did find a good way for the nose but still trying to figure out how to attach those reinforcement plates on the chest and wings... Concerning the wings, they will probably be better without mods or with them glued. 

Feet and Leg super parts are almost modelised now, I just cross fingers that nothing will be too off. 

2 hours ago, Kylwell said:

Crap that shouldn't have happened? Had you thinned the clear coat by any chance?

The mysteries of paint properties...

That's why I have a life-long fear of painting. 

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I read that quick and thought it said "Anti-IDIOT missiles"! ROFL!!!

Meantime, I resumed work on my scratchbuilt Regult 1/72 scale (I hope!):

101_1024.thumb.JPG.543aab5eaf9029a5d55a57843947ef75.JPG

Looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing this one done!

How's the SDF coming?