Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Gonna call this a stopping point for today, good day! can't believe it's actually together!!!... with no major catastrophes!!! 

20170320_164329.jpg

Looks great! Is that the 5000 or 8000 kit? I have both, but am thinking of letting the larger one go. Limited space & all.

Edited by Kelsain

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I'm sure folks here would love to get a few spares NZEOD.

haha not so sure... most people dont want anything to do with the Bandai VF-1 range. Not voluntarily anyhow.

Edited by NZEOD

neither did I until last week. Found it on Yahoo.jp, seems to be genuine and not a recast and only cost me $70US. Arrived today at work.

Edited by NZEOD

only a few to go to complete the entire VF series 1/72 line up from vf-0 to vf-31

There is a VF-31a kit doing the rounds and a YF-30...

Just missed a VF-5000

Back from March Break and a little more progress on my Millennium Falcon build

Love those PE grills for the engines (although having done them, I recommend not sandwiching the lower ring as it brings them too thick and high, its nice to have the grills sink in a bit, but they are too delicate for me to take apart now after they are done)

DSCN6835.JPG.8a007432819879c7e4b4b75733ed6bdf.JPGDSCN6838.JPG.7e555243bc7b7071d4de6465a6418def.JPGDSCN6839.JPG.1740ba750f43d41eead926d3d9757ca2.JPG

... now the fun part!!!  The weathering first pass...

DSCN6845.JPG.13dcd87bb73a9ae2f5e6f15fe970ff77.JPGDSCN6846.JPG.ab89bfabed551366548f1bef5bb18af1.JPGDSCN6849.JPG.7ba00908aed8af669bb74226dd04133c.JPGDSCN6851.JPG.5a4a18f2d62b1305492c685e81b2ce83.JPGDSCN6852.JPG.6030245531682216a16491e9bfed10c6.JPG

Love the molded details, this puts the Fine Molds 1/72 to shame.

I've gotta next figure out how to cram all the electronics/lighting into the body, light seal it before I close it up.

Oh, BTW - yes the decals suck!!! I was seduced by laziness and the fact that the decals fit so perfectly to the panels, but they really don't conform to all the raised details even when I used a ton of Mr. Softer and Mr. Setter and MicroSOL (and I think I'm pretty good with decals too).  It was awful and a pain.  But the worst part is that once they are on, I realize the dark grey is all wrong, too green and the red is too bright, but rust at all.  I spent a lot of time doing a wash over them to darken them and take them down a few notched to better match with the reference, but I wished I had painted them instead of using the decals.

Edited by wm cheng

Pengbuz, the diorama is AWESOME. Way to show those negative pricks and not give up!

WM Cheng, I thought you said you were old and out of practice. That Falcon is absolutely amazing. 

16 hours ago, Thom said:

Thanks PB!!

Your launch arm dio is coming along awesomely. Can't wait to see it mounted.

57 minutes ago, arbit said:

Pengbuz, the diorama is AWESOME. Way to show those negative pricks and not give up!

Thanks so much; the encouragement and help the kind folks here have given me (Especially Thom with his generous gift!) got me well back on track with this. About now, said "pricks" should be needing some band-aids for their jaws if they have seen any of the pix online.

Speaking of which, I was a little unhappy about how the central mount hub and arms came out, so I redid them:

101_0827.thumb.JPG.4f4a8ba84c20eddf8203a47a76ebcfba.JPG

This one is both sets of arms mounted:

101_0828.thumb.JPG.f667396aa8c3c2348d649b5b287569b2.JPG

I rebuilt the hub to look a bit more like it should; the white plastic in there is drying and will be trimmed up, sanded and painted tomorrow or so. I mounted the arms with some "U" shaped parts that physically bound them to the hub, then glued the striped cover plate over them and put filler in between them. The arms are only partially there due to the system I worked out to mount the valk to the arms:

101_0829.thumb.JPG.7bd114befbca62779acede2197e2ead2.JPG

The arms detach on one side, and two plastic runners slide through the valkyrie under the Strike boosters: one fore and one aft. The rear one goes through a discretely-hidden hole through the backpack mount, under the boosters. Once in, they then connect to the remaining parts glued to the arm.

The other side:

101_0830.thumb.JPG.302d4ca988bf416b66e99acad99481b5.JPG

The idea is to paint the arms the grey color about halfway (the taped parts), then paint the remaining arm "booster" color and black color where applicable. That way, unless one looks closely, the clamps only appear to grasp about halfway on the boosters, as they do on the plans and whatnot i have seen. Meanwhile, this should provide a secure connection that will only release when I want it to.

On the subject of connections, I addressed an issue with the legs continually flopping down:

101_0831.thumb.JPG.3200d369ee60c229767dc75d4f5ff53c.JPG

I glued a post into the back of the leg armor, and set a poly-cap into where it normally would set in fighter mode. When connected, the legs will not flop down and the fighter is very stable.

Stay tuned folks. Meantime, I will be updating the regular progress thread in a bit.

Before hitting all the classwork I have to do, I just popped in to see the new stuff.  GREAT WORK EVERYONE!  I don't have time to give individual props, but it's ALL looking great! - MT

Launchbay looks great, now to cut a hole in your kids bedroom wall and mount it there!

Yellow Submarine 1/144 Resin ADR-04-Mk X Defender arrived FINALLY... and wow! Talked about detailed!! Going to look great next to the GiMix Valks... after I take a casting off of the legs to fit up to the Gashapon Tomahawks

1 hour ago, NZEOD said:

Launchbay looks great, now to cut a hole in your kids bedroom wall and mount it there!

Erm.... I don't have kids. o.o

50 minutes ago, spanner said:

wow!! check out that old MS Natural keyboard! I had one of those friggin yeeeaaarrrsss ago! Valkyrie diorama looks great too! :good:

Yeah; it's a 1:1 scale MS "Natural" Keyboard mode kit by Microsoft. After getting it, I decided it looked too "toylike" and proceeded to weather it with artist's pastels, graphite pencil, acrylic paint, barbecue sauce, plastic welder, mustard, ketchup, charcoal pencils, magic marker, a few dabs of model cement and my own grubby fingers:

101_0838.thumb.JPG.05d3e5c6600829695c6034497443e06d.JPG

I then sealed it with about 20-30 layers of clearcoat, chapstick, hairspray and the oils from my fingers. I'm really proud of this custom; it's the "centerpiece" of my collection. :p

24 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

BTW: did I mention that the keyboard has a Gerwalk mode?

101_0839.thumb.JPG.e62ef23d219e969ce04b7c75d17610f6.JPG

LOL!! Microsoft on Macross!

That arm display and mounting looks great PB. And cool work on the keyboard. It almost looks like it's been used.

Gerwalk Keyboard! Love it. You should share that with Macross Fan Central on FB.

Personally, I would drill some holes in the launch bay for flashing leds. But thats just me...

Edited by arbit