Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Thanks for the kind words, MT.  So much work gone on here in the past few days.

Here's a small update for today.

All of the hero zombies and protagonists primed and with some minor corrections:

Americans:

111_3956_zpsv0cpvmb4.jpg

Unfortunate Wehrmacht Soldiers:

111_3955_zpsxilayeli.jpg

In the images below you can see where I am laying in the concrete form lines onto the bunker's concrete surface. Basically I laid out the lines with a fine-tip Sharpie and then laid down masking tape that just skirts said lines, leaving a gap in the center. Then, Mr. Surfacer is applied and the tape is pulled up while Mr. Surfacer is still a bit tacky. The resulting lines look like the gaps you see on poured, formed concrete. You can see approximately half of the lines are complete and de-taped in the images:

111_3954_zpsgvstq8jw.jpg
111_3953_zpscamg3axm.jpg

I forgot to snap some images of the finished menagerie zombies that will be spilling out of the bunker. I'll try to remember to get those next time.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Kenny

On 1. Januar 2017 at 6:13 PM, MechTech said:

Electric Indigo, is that the old AMT kit?

It's the Italeri GR.3, which I think goes back to the same Esci kit as the AMT. Quality was surprisingly good with fine panel lines, but aftermarket decals are recommended. And I added 2 mm to the laser nose.

Your drives look pretty hardcore.

Just finished the "Bandai Vehicle Model 006: Millennium Falcon".

First things first: I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer amount of detail on it..

#1 top: the kit comes with a LOT of small stickers.  However, the weathering solution I used really brought out the detail on the 6 round fans on the back.  No point covering up that awesome detail with the plain grey discs on the sticker sheet!  Speaking of stickers - I was pleased that they left clear spots in some of them for the detail below to show through.  Top tip: apply weathering before affixing the stickers; especially if you're not going to use a decal softener and clear coat before weathering it!

MilFalTop.jpg

#2 side: impressive how they reproduced the proportions in Joe Johnston's original sketches.  The kit is much 'shorter' than I expected (nod to the OT film crew for filming it in dynamic positions).

MilFalSide.jpg

#3: I didn't weather the maw before assembling.  I've had to leave it as-is, as I didn't want to make a mess of the kit while applying the weathering (some of the weathering solution was already dripping out the bottom after applying it to the top!), and Q-tips don't work in that size of a gap...

MilFalFront.jpg

#4 Bottom: again - impressive detail levels.  The only difficulty in assembly is the sticker location instructions - simply put, dot matrix printing doesn't give a fine enough resolution for the size of the example they were forced to use.  The positioning of the red stickers on the thrust deflector plates at the rear were particularly difficult.

MilFalBottom.jpg

#5 rear: I didn't apply the weathering solution on the engine nozzles - just used the excess on the Q-tips used to clean it up on the other sections to give it a light dusting - even then, the gap is very narrow (like the front maw), and I couldn't get the effect I was striving for.  If you're planning on painting your kit, make sure to do this section and the open maw at the front before assembly!MilFalRear.jpg

#6 Family photo: the kit is quite large for a Mecha Colle/Vehicle Model.  Here it is next to the Star Destroyer from the same model series, and a Lego Minifigure for size.MilFalGroup.jpg

Conclusion: this is a great kit for both beginners and experts.  ALL the instructions are in both English and Japanese.  It is also a great display piece that doesn't eat up a lot of real estate on your display shelf.  The kit truly gives you a lot for what you pay (less than the price of a Big Mac set in Japan)!

Holiday went by fast and I did not put so much work on mine. My experiment with the wing ended up as a failure (since I did not plan on it and went straight to cutting). Will be placing limited decal or paint app since most of it will not be seen but it will be a Hikaru Ichijo decals 1J style.

Sprayed with tamiya light gray primer and AS-16 Light gray.

20170103_140634_zpscdaxp6du.jpg

Edited by chyll2

51 minutes ago, MechTech said:

Looking good guys!

Sketchley, that looks cool.  Which kit is that?  I looked for it and cannot find it.  I bring it up because it looks about 1/350th scale. - MT

The full name for it is "Bandai Star Wars Vehicle Model 006: Millennium Falcon".  It was released in Dec. 2016.

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/vm.html

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=317461

On 1/3/2017 at 7:40 AM, NZEOD said:

have you rebadged a Pegasus as the Galactica?

Yes. :D I did it once before but though I liked it, this is what I wanted to do before I knew i wanted to do it...

She doesn't fit into canon, but is the main ship for a fanfic I have on my head that is more of a blending of 2003 Galactica into the 70s show, with a sprinkle of Xena Warrior Princess thrown in.;)

Ok!  It's 12 degrees outside with a windchill of 5, and I need a break from the never ending SDF-1 primer and sanding sooo... I'm gonna just start this straight out of the box with no paint or anything and see how it goes. A weekend "kitchen table build"  if you will..  This will be my first Bandai transformation kit,  so let's DO THIS!! 

20170107_114505.jpg

Well,  so far so good!  As I have discovered with the Bandai Star Wars kits,  they are just on a whole other level with these new kits!  The engineering is amazing!  Not a drop of glue! As you can see,  everything snaps together perfectly so far!  Definitely makes me appreciate the DX toys more! More to come tomorrow! 

20170107_191747.jpg

Edited by derex3592

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

A weekend "kitchen table build"  if you will..  This will be my first Bandai transformation kit,  so let's DO THIS!!

Good luck!  Some advice:

- try and assemble it in the pose you're ultimately going to display it in.  These things are not meant to be repeatedly transformed.

- if you're going to panel line it (especially with a solution applied via paintbrush), best to put it on before you put the stickers/decals on.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Not a drop of glue!

It's rare, but sometimes you do need glue.  I haven't built one of the MD 1/72 kits yet, but with Bandai's VF-1, you needed to glue the little greebles on the outside of the upper legs (specifically: the thrust reversers).

I also found that the way the feet on that kit were composed, they had a tendency to disassemble themselves when stood on, so glue was used there, too.  So, depending on the mode you choose to display it in, and how much you handle it, you may want to consider a few strategically placed drops of glue on the weaker looking joints... err seams. ;)

Great tips!  Thanks for the help!  Probably gonna go with fighter mode,  but I'll have to... attempt... to transform it at least once.. LOL.. just so I can say I did.  Also,  might actually paint in in a low vis paint scheme or something different once I get it together, we'll see... not wild about the Delta schemes other than Messer. Doing this more for fun than an actual serious build.  Just something to do while it's cold. 

9 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Great tips!  Thanks for the help!  Probably gonna go with fighter mode,  but I'll have to... attempt... to transform it at least once.. LOL.. just so I can say I did.  Also,  might actually paint in in a low vis paint scheme or something different once I get it together, we'll see... not wild about the Delta schemes other than Messer. Doing this more for fun than an actual serious build.  Just something to do while it's cold. 

Low vis sounds cool, and I guess that would mean that you're going to be avoiding the headache of putting the stickers/decals on, eh (though the cockpit MFD displays are a must).

Re: transforming - be careful with handling.  On my Bandai 1/72 kits I've had the following breakages:

- VF-27 canon fodder: one of the two back/dorsal fuselage joints at the shoulder and shoulder joint (later is unfixible - it stays in fighter)

- VF-1: (Hikaru): wrist joint, (Fokker): thumb (not sure how this one came off.  It was just gone one day) - a similar problem isn't even possible on the VF-27, as the hands are pre-posed, and you swap them out when transforming or changing pose.

On 04/01/2017 at 11:19 AM, sketchley said:

The full name for it is "Bandai Star Wars Vehicle Model 006: Millennium Falcon".  It was released in Dec. 2016.

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/vm.html

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=317461

I'm another who would love to find this in the usual places. I'm guessing it's subject to the same "embargo" as the other Bandai Star Wars kits are. And if that's the case, it's a real shame. 

1 hour ago, mickyg said:

I'm another who would love to find this in the usual places. I'm guessing it's subject to the same "embargo" as the other Bandai Star Wars kits are. And if that's the case, it's a real shame. 

I certainly hope it isn't.  Bandai also doesn't think it is - given that all the instructions are in English, and there's even a little blurb with instruction for overseas customers if they need to contact Bandai if there's a problem with the kit!

Edited by sketchley

47 minutes ago, sketchley said:

I certainly hope it isn't.  Bandai also doesn't think it is - given that all the instructions are in English, and there's even a little blurb with instruction for overseas customers if they need to contact Bandai if there's a problem with the kit!

2 hours ago, mickyg said:

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/s513220011

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x471634996

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/f199405958

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/g200657693

wow it only retails for 648yen!!

Edited by NZEOD

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Well,  so far so good!  As I have discovered with the Bandai Star Wars kits,  they are just on a whole other level with these new kits!  The engineering is amazing!  Not a drop of glue! As you can see,  everything snaps together perfectly so far!  Definitely makes me appreciate the DX toys more! More to come tomorrow! 

20170107_191747.jpg

looking good so far! keen to see more! don't take too long posting the next pic!