Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Here's what I got being built currently. The VF-1S unassembled with option parts. The pins... are such a pain...

Lots of runoff paint here but I'll clear that up with my next coat. The black is just a base to darken the overlying coat. Making a totally custom scheme for this one.

post-12002-0-78932500-1393756242_thumb.jpg

Snow Day!!! I didn't have time to start anything "big", so here's an F-35C from Orange Hobby in 1:350 scale. I currently don't have the right color to paint it, but it will take like four spray passes to cover the top and bottom :)

The kit was well done and the resin is good stuff with PE doors, wing hinge (optional build) and decals. Any issues are litterally magnified by the magnifying glass lens! - MT

post-2518-0-65948100-1393875029_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-37390400-1393875032_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-53492600-1393875034_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-71397000-1393875036_thumb.jpg

Cool! Looking forward to seeing how it comes out, love how it's looking so far. Here is mine that I did.....holy crap....10 YEARS AGO!! Man time flies. I also used the Nora kit.

TOYS286-1.jpg

TOYS287.jpg

TOYS289-1.jpg

TOYS290-1.jpg

TOYS291.jpg

TOYS295.jpg

A few years later I also customized my Yamato 1/60 Transformable Ivanov into this scheme.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?app=gallery&album=296

Chris

BEAUTIFUL MY FREND. OUTSTANDING

Snow Day!!! I didn't have time to start anything "big", so here's an F-35C from Orange Hobby in 1:350 scale. I currently don't have the right color to paint it, but it will take like four spray passes to cover the top and bottom :)

The kit was well done and the resin is good stuff with PE doors, wing hinge (optional build) and decals. Any issues are litterally magnified by the magnifying glass lens! - MT

You are just crazy!!! Amazing, how will you paint it? Does it come with decals? I can barely paint the 1/72 scale pilots from the Yamato 2199 fighters let alone imagine how to eventually paint those 1/350 scale Bandai Yamato crew. Perhaps I can send them over to you to paint for a fee?

I feel like a drug addict put in a correction facility these days...T_T;;;

-We feel the same way kyekye, dying to see that insane 1/60 VF-1 you were customizing completed!!

-That is one teeny tiny F-35 MechTech, looking forward to that one!

-And the Flanker Camo SV-51 never gets boring!!

I can barely paint the 1/72 scale pilots from the Yamato 2199 fighters let alone imagine how to eventually paint those 1/350 scale Bandai Yamato crew. Perhaps I can send them over to you to paint for a fee?

Really? I love painting the 1/72 pilots. Don't know if I could handle a 1/350 figure, though.

Really? I love painting the 1/72 pilots. Don't know if I could handle a 1/350 figure, though.

How did you paint that down arrow / boat anchor on the front of this shirt and the 3 bars on the shoulders?

Cool! Looking forward to seeing how it comes out, love how it's looking so far. Here is mine that I did.....holy crap....10 YEARS AGO!! Man time flies. I also used the Nora kit.

PICTURES

A few years later I also customized my Yamato 1/60 Transformable Ivanov into this scheme.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?app=gallery&album=296

Chris

Woa, never saw that 1/72 before from you, perfect!! you're the master of camo patterns man! :o

First off, NO, the Flanker Camo scheme never does get boring! It's an oldy but a goody! THAT IS insane painting!

And thank you guys! As far as painting tiny aircraft goes, the ONLY way to paint them that small is an airbrush. The smaller one I did than this is the Fanliner from about 10 years ago (attached). I had to use -thinned- out paint and cut the decals from larger ones with a new razor blade. It still needed decal set too!

@WM Cheng, yes, the F-35 comes with basic US roundrels. I have the 1/350 Yamato as well and I'm trying to figure out how they "painted" it on the box. I think it was Photoshopped because brush bristles are bigger than that! I'm waiting to get a curio to put my models in before I build the Yamato. I'm not building a $600 kit to have it get damaged or dusty.

What can be done for the figures is to make decals and print them to mark the uniforms. That's what I'm thinking of doing for the boat anchor and Tiger Squadron markings on the uniform. I was hoping they would come pre-painted! Oh well...

Another option I've used a lot is to spray paint decal paper You just spray paint the decal paper and cut to size. That's how I do my windscreens (or anything that small).

Cheat whenever you can! I try to use sliced rubber insulation or drilled poly-cap sprues to make rubber tires for my tiny planes. The Fanliner has poly-cap sprue "tires" and they didn't have to be painted.

P.S. Some 1/350th Macross kits will be coming out soon - more to come... - MT

post-2518-0-10713500-1393976334_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

How did you paint that down arrow / boat anchor on the front of this shirt and the 3 bars on the shoulders?

Actually, never tried one of the Yamato figures. Only done the Macross pilots. They're still fun, though!!

post-12411-0-70948200-1388822380_thumb.jpg
post-12411-0-34328600-1366878502_thumb.jpg
post-12411-0-24963700-1352607419_thumb.jpg
post-12411-0-10204900-1359792939_thumb.jpg

ooops, he's 1/48, so I guess he doesn't count.

@WM Cheng, yes, the F-35 comes with basic US roundrels. I have the 1/350 Yamato as well and I'm trying to figure out how they "painted" it on the box. I think it was Photoshopped because brush bristles are bigger than that! I'm waiting to get a curio to put my models in before I build the Yamato. I'm not building a $600 kit to have it get damaged or dusty.

What can be done for the figures is to make decals and print them to mark the uniforms. That's what I'm thinking of doing for the boat anchor and Tiger Squadron markings on the uniform. I was hoping they would come pre-painted! Oh well...

Hey if you come out with those decals, I'd gladly buy them off of you for mine. Let me know when you're going to attempt that 1/350 Yamato - I'd love to see what you do with it, maybe it might inspire me to get off my ass about it ;-)

Actually, never tried one of the Yamato figures. Only done the Macross pilots. They're still fun, though!!

ooops, he's 1/48, so I guess he doesn't count.

Great job Jefuemon on those... (yeah, I never really had problems with the Macross Figures either - flight suits are easy, its those Yamato uniform markings that I wasn't happy with).

I'm waiting to get a curio to put my models in before I build the Yamato. I'm not building a $600 kit to have it get damaged or dusty.

Good call! :)

I need a 24"x 24" wide display case... should be about 6' tall too, to hold all the battroids. The 4'sq base should be enough for a 1/72 B-52G right?

Nice job on the small stuff!

2 quick and dirty pics I shot before rushing out the door.

All unsullied by paint so far.

Is it a Bird, a Plane, EVA-05 on the hunt.

post-28656-0-20389700-1394152192_thumb.jpg

Stand for the EVA-01

post-28656-0-19277400-1394152372_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrazyDude

Thanks guys, I WILL let you know when I work on the Yamato and make decals. It might mean making a display case FIRST. Shopping around, I need one that's about 40" wide minimum to fit my future built ships in. Curios that size are about $1000-$1,500!!! So I'm gonna have to drop the X-acto knife and pick up the Radial Arm saw! The glass will be costly too. Unless anyone knows of a better dust proof solution.

I've already got a ton of ships (all unbuilt of course) that will need that much length. Doing the rough numbers a 1/350th Daedalus will be about 40-43" long. That HAS to fit into the case! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Some cool stuff on the bench guys! Speaking of cool - SNOW DAY MK 4!!! How cool is that! So I caught up on some stuff and built an Orange Hobby X-47B in 1/350th scale. There's some small filler (Squadron White putty thinned with Acetone and wiped off with a Q-tip). I'm in the middle of painting it, but no photos of that yet. - MT

post-2518-0-35483300-1395185350_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-49280200-1395185364_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

Some cool stuff on the bench guys! Speaking of cool - SNOW DAY MK 4!!! How cool is that! So I caught up on some stuff and built an Orange Hobby X-47B in 1/350th scale. There's some small filler (Squadron White putty thinned with Acetone and wiped off with a Q-tip). I'm in the middle of painting it, but no photos of that yet. - MT

Is that... photoetched arrestor hook??? Jeez, it must be tiny...

Looking really good, MechTech.

While youre at it, why not make some VF-1 fighter in scale 1/2700 for my SDF-1 ;)

Looking good there!

I finished the top of one side of the wing on the Airfix Zero and figured the second one would be much easier. Wrong! I feel like I've lost my mojo. My riveter slipped. My ruler wouldn't stay put. My lines weren't straight. I ended up with a mess I had to correct with Mr Surfacer 500.

Here's the good one:

post-10360-0-17551400-1395314597_thumb.jpg

And you can't see much, but the bad one is shown here (this is all dry fitted for now):

post-10360-0-73294500-1395314634_thumb.jpg

And a quick preview of an Academy companion for a little dio I'm planning:

post-10360-0-07587000-1395314674_thumb.jpg

No idea why all these pics are on their sides!

So my plan now is to secure some vinyl pin striping tape to use as a guide for my riveting tool. That or some of that correction tape that comes on rolls. It may be thick enough to give me an edge. And it's removable. Dymo tape would be perfect but it's crazy expensive everywhere I've looked down under.

Edited by mickyg

And a quick preview of an Academy companion for a little dio I'm planning:

How do you find the Academy example of the corsair? I am on the fence about buying it. I have a ton of the 1/72 kits they make but there are a few that fall short when sitting next to a Tamiya lets say. :) I have the later Korean war Corsair from Revell AG/Italeri and it's not too bad. But I can see a definite step in quality when comparing the Tamiya P-51D to the Academy version.

Haven't had much time lately to work on anything due to my dad's passing last week, but slowly getting a minute or two here and there to work on painting EXO's awesome little Shapeways Mospeada 1:48 figures. I primered them first and then airbrushed a custom mixed color for the base light green color and then I'm hand painting the other colors and details. I went for the most expensive version on Shapeways so all the detail would be there. Did a lot of sanding on them still before and after primering. Seems like some just get cut better/smoother than others on the 3D printers.

post-11393-0-13294700-1395615056_thumb.jpg

How do you find the Academy example of the corsair? I am on the fence about buying it. I have a ton of the 1/72 kits they make but there are a few that fall short when sitting next to a Tamiya lets say. :) I have the later Korean war Corsair from Revell AG/Italeri and it's not too bad. But I can see a definite step in quality when comparing the Tamiya P-51D to the Academy version.

It's actually pretty good. There are a handful of Academy examples that, I'm led to believe, are just older hasegawa offerings but with recessed panel lines. The A-10 is one example. This is another. Apparently the Hellcat is yet another (which is also in the stash). So if you've ever built the hasegawa version, the fit/shape is the same but the details are recessed instead of raised.

My only complaint is the lack of rivets in places I'd like them to be (they are in some spots, just not as many as I'd like) and a pretty sparse cockpit. I'd actually left it out altogether due to plans to do it up as "Skipper" from Planes. But my son lost interest in the whole franchise soon after he saw the movie.

It's actually pretty good. There are a handful of Academy examples that, I'm led to believe, are just older hasegawa offerings but with recessed panel lines. The A-10 is one example. This is another. Apparently the Hellcat is yet another...

Thanks for letting me know. That Hellcat you speak of is actually my user avatar.

planes009_zpsa9abe179.jpg

Nice work on the '48th Mospeada figs, Derex. Sorry to hear about your loss, it has been a rough year for the modelglue family as well. We just have to keep doing what we love to get through sometimes.

Yeah, bought the testors when I was younger and even as a kid I knew it was garbage.

I don't own it but I would guess the Hasegawa is the best out there now. RS models and Valom have been putting out some other early US Navy WW2 aircraft kits so keep your eyes peeled for a release. I've been meaning to get the Valom Devastator too.