I've got Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Jazz, and Barricade. Of these, I only dislike Sideswipe (if you want mine, PM me and you can have it for a song). Jazz is probably the best overall, but I really like Bumblebee, too. TFW2005 reports that some discount stores (like Ross) are still receiving shipments of HA Jazz.

Target (in Walnut Creek, CA) had a few yesterday at $34.99, not a bad price for a toy of this size.

Best, MyClone

Thanks. If you still have the reciept can you tell me the DPCI number?

I've got Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Jazz, and Barricade. Of these, I only dislike Sideswipe (if you want mine, PM me and you can have it for a song). Jazz is probably the best overall, but I really like Bumblebee, too. TFW2005 reports that some discount stores (like Ross) are still receiving shipments of HA Jazz.

Target (in Walnut Creek, CA) had a few yesterday at $34.99, not a bad price for a toy of this size.

Best, MyClone

Lolz, thats fine, I don't need your Sideswipe. Like you, many people I have seen on the internet seem to really dislike the figure. And yeah, I was wooed by that awesome alt mode, but that huge back-pack in robot seems like a wast really. Any thoughts on roadbuster?

I think I might just go ahead and get that one. Jazz looks like an awesome figure, but I really don't like the character. I really LOVED roadbuster's alt mode, so I was hoping to detail it up and mod it to look like this:

tf3-dotm-wreckers-roadbuster-3.jpg

Thanks. If you still have the reciept can you tell me the DPCI number?

It's out of stock on Target.com, but the DCPI number is listed as DPCI: 087-06-1686. I'll check my receipt when I can later.

Best, MyClone

EDIT: My apologies, forgot. Yes, that's the DPCI code.

Edited by MyClone

I Have HA Jazz,Bumblbee,Jazz,Skids, Mudflap, Sideswipe and Barricade. My favorites Barricade and Jazz are tied, and Bumblee is a close second. I like Sideswipe the least like everyone else. He has way too much back kibble. Skids and Mudflap are actually great figs, it's just that the characters sucked, and they aren't cool cars.

Bad ass images of the SDCC Starcream. I wish I couldv'e gotten that online.

Edited by Golden Arms

I Have HA Jazz,Bumblbee,Jazz,Skids, Mudflap, Sideswipe and Barricade. My favorites Barricade and Jazz are tied, and Bumblee is a close second. I like Sideswipe the least like everyone else. He has way too much back kibble. Skids and Mudflap are actually great figs, it's just that the characters sucked, and they aren't cool cars.

Bad ass images of the SDCC Starcream. I wish I couldv'e gotten that online.

Cool. I, personally, am looking forward to that Human Alliance Soundwave. They need more 'cons in the HA lineup. Soundwave seems to have a lot of back kibble for his HA version, but the kibble seems to be done right and blends well with the figure imho...

TRU wants $59.99. If you go to TRU's facebook page and "like" them, it'll give you an app to print out a 20% off coupon. Doesn't work on videogames or the really expensive stuff (keyboards, bikes) but will work on most any "normal" toy.

Also, a note: Do not pull on Rodimus Prime's face to try to lift the helmet to swap faces. It'll make some noticeable stress marks. Think I may have to paint the face silver... Also, watch for flash inside that prevents Hot Rod's face from coming all the way down (vertical). If it wants to stay 10 degrees or so up/back, take the head apart and check for flash. (it's right at the joint, will be pressing on the top of his face)

Really, almost all flash/issues I'm finding are in the head. I would take it apart the moment you get it and "clean it up". The whole head assembly is on a ball joint, so just pop it off, unscrew it, take all the parts out, and look for flash, nubs, etc, that may get in the way.

I plan to back-paint the headlights silver, to lighten them up. Really, lighter blue clear plastic would have made EVERYTHING better, as the visors are gang-molded with them.

The "Hot Rod to Rodimus" hip thing----doesn't move as far as you think. 45 degrees down is "down" as far as I can tell. And it's VERY stiff. There's screws on the back, may want to loosen a turn or two. (I haven't even started to transform him yet, I'm checking all the other things first).

His targetmaster seems to have mirrored instructions or something. The first step and last step look right, but everything inbetween is screwed up and just doesn't work. I've looked at mine carefully, and I'm pretty sure mine is assembled correctly etc. Just ignore the instructions. Transform it how you THINK it should go, and you'll be fine.

TRU wants $59.99. If you go to TRU's facebook page and "like" them, it'll give you an app to print out a 20% off coupon. Doesn't work on videogames or the really expensive stuff (keyboards, bikes) but will work on most any "normal" toy.

Also, a note: Do not pull on Rodimus Prime's face to try to lift the helmet to swap faces. It'll make some noticeable stress marks. Think I may have to paint the face silver... Also, watch for flash inside that prevents Hot Rod's face from coming all the way down (vertical). If it wants to stay 10 degrees or so up/back, take the head apart and check for flash. (it's right at the joint, will be pressing on the top of his face)

Really, almost all flash/issues I'm finding are in the head. I would take it apart the moment you get it and "clean it up". The whole head assembly is on a ball joint, so just pop it off, unscrew it, take all the parts out, and look for flash, nubs, etc, that may get in the way.

I plan to back-paint the headlights silver, to lighten them up. Really, lighter blue clear plastic would have made EVERYTHING better, as the visors are gang-molded with them.

The "Hot Rod to Rodimus" hip thing----doesn't move as far as you think. 45 degrees down is "down" as far as I can tell. And it's VERY stiff. There's screws on the back, may want to loosen a turn or two. (I haven't even started to transform him yet, I'm checking all the other things first).

His targetmaster seems to have mirrored instructions or something. The first step and last step look right, but everything inbetween is screwed up and just doesn't work. I've looked at mine carefully, and I'm pretty sure mine is assembled correctly etc. Just ignore the instructions. Transform it how you THINK it should go, and you'll be fine.

Is the Hasbro MP Rodimus compatible with the Takara winnebago attachment? Cuz to me, its not rodimus prime without, which is really whats preventing me from getting the Hasbro release (waiting for a fixed takara)

The Hips are tight on the Takara version as well. I want the TRU version so I can finally transform this thing. I'm not brave enough to transform my takara version for fear of breaking the leg panels.

Is the Hasbro MP Rodimus compatible with the Takara winnebago attachment? Cuz to me, its not rodimus prime without, which is really whats preventing me from getting the Hasbro release (waiting for a fixed takara)

It should be. There will be some color mismatching as Hasbro Rodimus is more red than maroon.

Thanks for the info. I don't do the Facebook thing, but I got my wife to get the coupon. Unfortunately, my TRU doesn't have any Rodimuses (Rodimusi?) yet, and with my luck won't before the coupon expires.

I don't "do" facebook either. I have an account I never check solely to "reserve" people from using the name. (and it's ultra-private and non-searchable) I've never "liked" anything before and probably never will again. But for 5 secs of effort to save 12 bucks...

This seems... abusable.

Is there something I'm missing, or can you register a bunch of Facebook accounts JUST to get coupons?

OBVIOUSLY it says limit one per customer, I'm sure, but... that certainly doesn't stop anyone.

If the cashier tries to enforce it, you leave and come back some other time/day. Or go to a different store.

So am I wrong, or do I need to say a little prayer for the poor souls working at Toys R Us right now?

This seems... abusable.

Is there something I'm missing, or can you register a bunch of Facebook accounts JUST to get coupons?

OBVIOUSLY it says limit one per customer, I'm sure, but... that certainly doesn't stop anyone.

If the cashier tries to enforce it, you leave and come back some other time/day. Or go to a different store.

So am I wrong, or do I need to say a little prayer for the poor souls working at Toys R Us right now?

That IS how TLC's "Extreme Couponing" works, is it not?

The whole "one per person/transaction" line is printed rather large and boldly. Sure, you could make a bunch of Facebook accounts and get a bunch of coupons--it just might take you a while to use them all. (and they expire in a week).

So the original Transformers movie is now 25 years old. :)

Do you think it still holds up today?

Nope.

I laugh when I hear fanboys talk about how great that movie is compared to the new live action movie. The g1 cartoon was horrible, the movie was better but it's still a disjointed, "and then", story that meanders from one set piece to another in order to sell toys.

I must humbly disagree with eugimon and say absolutely yes. I grew up on and love the old G1 cartoon, but I can admit that it was pretty stupid at times (like the time the Autobots had to wrestle a robot alligator made out of some of Optimus Prime's parts... or when Powerglide fell in love with a human girl... or when the Decepticons were hiring street kids to steal cars... etc). The movie, despite being a blatant attempt at killing all your favorite characters so Hasbro could sell you new toys, was solidly written, well-animated, capably acted, and quite enjoyable. The new characters were pretty cool, Unicron was awesome, the story was a bit more mature, and there are a lot of memorable moments in the movie. I watched it enough as a kid on VHS that I could probably recite the entire movie, and I've watched the 20th Anniversary DVD three or four times.

I must humbly disagree with eugimon and say absolutely yes. I grew up on and love the old G1 cartoon, but I can admit that it was pretty stupid at times (like the time the Autobots had to wrestle a robot alligator made out of some of Optimus Prime's parts... or when Powerglide fell in love with a human girl... or when the Decepticons were hiring street kids to steal cars... etc). The movie, despite being a blatant attempt at killing all your favorite characters so Hasbro could sell you new toys, was solidly written, well-animated, capably acted, and quite enjoyable. The new characters were pretty cool, Unicron was awesome, the story was a bit more mature, and there are a lot of memorable moments in the movie. I watched it enough as a kid on VHS that I could probably recite the entire movie, and I've watched the 20th Anniversary DVD three or four times.

There's definitely cool moments in the movie, but if you look at it with the same critical eye you use to look at the bayformer movies, you have to admit it suffers many of the same faults.

I had a long list of the good, and the bad, with a final tl;dr of "yes" but I figured it wasn't needed. Keeping it much shorter:

I agree with Mike’s sentiments for the most part, although (having just watched it today) I can say that I observed a lot of rough jumps similar to DotM which I never noticed before. I blame Bay/DotM for making me notice such things. <_<

What makes the animated movie better than the live action movie (for me) is the near-complete focus on the titular characters: the Transformers. I am much more interested in seeing giant transforming robots when I watch any of the four Transformers movies. Therefore, I am much more interested in seeing Hot Rod’s journey from a “turbo-revvin’ young punk” to Rodimus Prime than Sam Witwicki’s journey from a loser high school student to…a loser college grad.

(:huh: Never really noticed that myself until just now.)

Also, we need to keep in mind that the live action movies are meant for three audiences: kids, adults who have little to no knowledge about Transformers, and (in the vast minority) adults who can quote the live action movie. The animated movie was meant for only one audience: kids.

So, rather than ask yourself how The Transformers: The Movie holds up, ask your kids (or someone else’s, if necessary).

Sincerely,

Someone who didn't grow up watching G1 but still prefers the animated movie over Bayformers

(but Beast Wars > any other series)

PS: Even if you don’t like Stan Bush, Spectre General, or Weird Al’s contributions to the soundtrack, you have to admit Vince Dicola did one hell of a job scoring it.

Edited by jwasko

I agree with eugimon, saying "no", the movie doesn't hold up. I don't have any sentimental connection to either, but (IMHO) the live action movie(s) do hold up a bit better, with simply better flow and graphics. The animated movie was great, sure, but looking back upon it now, it really was just a hyped chance at selling more toys...just my thoughts though.

Also, we need to keep in mind that the live action movies are meant for three audiences: kids, adults who have little to no knowledge about Transformers, and (in the vast minority) adults who can quote the live action movie. The animated movie was meant for only one audience: kids.

This. The '86 movie was a vehicle for marketing toys to kids who were already watching the show (which was a vehicle for marketing toys to kids). It's not fair to compare it to a big-budget summer blockbuster. That's like comparing Bad Kitty Gets a Bath to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Yes, there's some overlap in the audience, but it's probably best to judge them on their own merits.

but if you look at it with the same critical eye you use to look at the bayformer movies, you have to admit it suffers many of the same faults

Not really. My biggest faults with the Bayformer movies were the emphasis on human characters, (what I consider to be) poor designs of the Transformers, a total lack of personality for most of the Transformers characters, and the fact that RotF doesn't entirely make sense (if the shard of the Allspark could bring Megatron back to life, why didn't Sam use his shard to bring Optimus back to life instead of bringing Jetfire back to life so he could help them find a different MacGuffin to bring Optimus back to life?).

By contrast, I like the designs of the Transformers in the '86 movie (again, my personal preference, you are of course free to disagree). Aside from Spike (who's promptly eaten by Unicron) and Daniel (who, though annoying, even to my six-year-old self, is really more along for the ride than a focus of the movie), there's not a human in sight. And, though admittedly meandering, the plot makes sense. (Unless you count the fact that Decepticons, who'd failed to kill anyone for two seasons, suddenly were able to slaughter most of the Autobots you knew and loved in the span of a few minutes... but I think that's less a fault of the movie and more of the show. I mean Megatron's got a gun big enough to stick the average-size Autobot's head into... how had he not managed to kill anyone until that point?)

In any case, I'm not saying that you can't find flaws with both. I'm not claiming that one is superior to the other. What I am saying is that taken on its own the '86 movie holds up pretty well (better than the cartoon that spawned it, in fact) and is still quite enjoyable as an adult 25 years later.

Edited by mikeszekely

I think it holds up. After all this time the animation is still good, and the music still rocks. If the questions is about that aspect yes it holds up, kind of like how DYRL still holds up. If the question is really is it just as enjoyable as it was 25 years ago well that's all a matter of opinion. I think the movie still holds up, still is awesome despite it's cringe worthy scenes (the giant dance party on planet junk) and I still love it to this day. Just as the G.I. Joe movie still holds up especially compared to the stuff that has come out since. But from a purely technical stand point I don't see how you couldn't say it doesn't hold up. Everything else is up to a person's opnion. Plus this was the first time I knew a cartoon could say a curse word. Also to say this movie was aimed for kids seriously needs to go watch it again. That being said it was the 80's, around the time the movie, comic, and other items meant for kids that came out everything was trying to be dark and gritty so whatever.

I'd like to think it holds up pretty well. That being said, if I saw it for the very first time ever now, I may have a different opinion. But as it stands, I can literally recite every line of dialogue and sing (poorly) every song they put in the movie when there are gaps in what the characters are saying. It's so ingrained into my years growing up I could never think poorly of it.

The animation and voice acting is still good quality and the movie introduced some of my long time favorite characters. Despite Prime dying (which bothered me, every single time I watched it as a kid) it's still one of my favorite animated movies and probably the best example of G1 Transformers.

But from a purely technical stand point I don't see how you couldn't say it doesn't hold up.

And I thought double negatives were tricky...I have no idea what you just said.

Edit: I'm not being a "grammar nazi"...just wondering what you meant.

Also to say this movie was aimed for kids seriously needs to go watch it again. That being said it was the 80's, around the time the movie, comic, and other items meant for kids that came out everything was trying to be dark and gritty so whatever.

I think you just rebutted your issue exactly the way I was going to. :D

There were some scenes that I wouldn't be comfortable showing to young kids (mostly the attack on the shuttle, I think) but, even then, the goal of the movie was killing off the old coast and introducing a new team of heroes that kids would want to be toys of. Hence the audience is children, even if some of the themes are a little to mature for them.

Edited by jwasko

As someone that never saw the original movie as a kid, I have to say it's a far better movie than any of the live-action films.

Because my primary reason for watching Transformers is to see giant robots blowing the hell out of each other. And TF:TM is basically 90 minutes of giant robots blowing the hell out of each other.

I also confess to being more partial to the general aesthetic of the 80s movie, if not the characters.

I hold no great love in my heart for the "new generation" characters like I do for folks like Optimus Prime, Shockwave, Megatron, Soundwave, Bumblebee, and Shockwave. But the overall look of the robots resonates better with me, and I'm always up for an interplanetary romp... yes, even one where robot squid eat robot fish in a sea full of robot seaweed.

My wife wanted to go to Target to buy plastic totes... I didn't want to, because I was just there buying a movie for my dad for his birthday, but I'm glad she talked me into it. Major jackpot. I scored Wheeljack, Thundercracker, Kup, and Warpath. Since I'd already collected the four War for Cybertron guys, Jazz, Tracks, and Laser Prime, I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) I'm just missing Perceptor and Wreck-Gar.

EDIT: I forgot about, but do have, Dirge, Thunderwing, Darkmount/Staxus, Blurr, Scourge, and Peg/Drift. I did not forget Red Alert, Skullgrin or the fifth War for Cybertron guy (that'd be Cliffjumper). I didn't like WfC Bumblebee's mold, I don't (despite having Sideswipe and Sunstreaker) Red Alert's mold, and Skullgrin never made enough of an impact on me to buy his mold agian.

Edited by mikeszekely

Recently got a Leader Sentinel Prime, and WOW!, I like this figure a LOT more than I thought I would. Its my first leader class, and sure was worth it. Its nice to take a break from more complicated Macross Figures for a figure of similar complexity, though really only takes me a few minutes to transform. Lot more fun....

Anywho's, what should I get next? Leader Bee or Ironhide?

People seem to hate on both of them, but I can't understand why :wacko:

Edited by Archer