Thanks! I gave some hard thought about trying to paint or drybrush some parts but I really didn't want to risk it since I have no real previous experience with models.

I still have the DMK02 Bumblebee kit that I haven't even taken out of the box that I might experiment with, especially since it didn't get all the chrome and paint app love that Prime received. Plus it's cheaper and the last time I looked more readily available for purchase in case I screw it up.

Good luck with yours!

-b.

*edit for some spelling and grammar :wacko:

Good point about the availability of DMK Optimus. It's completely sold out at most online shops, and I could only find it in selected hobby stores in my area. Come to think of it, I guess I'd better do the same as you, and try dry brushing on other less expensive and rare figs before Optimus. DOTM deluxe Bumblebee is a good candidate. If I like what I see, then I'll move on to DMK Bumblebee and finally, to DMK Optimus.

Truth to be told, I've never done dry brushing before either, although it looks extremely easy on the tutorials; supposedly, the trick is to know when the dry brushing is just enough.

One thing I think is safe to do right off the bat is to apply a coat of gloss spray onto the alt mode parts of DMK Optimus to give the plastic a more realistic sheen. I'll definitely do some panel lining on it as well.

I think (and I'm not totally sure) that a large portion of the upcoming DotM line isn't coming out until 2012.

Oh, alright, thanks for the info. Hopefully, that means that we may still see a Prime figure better than that pathetic Ultimate version. By the way, for those in the know how, what is the difference between the core prime figure in the Takara Tomy Jetwing Prime set and ROTF leader prime? They look similar save for the chest, but I would like to know if there are any significant differences...

The only differences are slight retoolings, the chest (as you mentioned) as well as the wheels on the waist (you'll notice in reviews that they have enough room to no longer overlap). It also features the gas tanks that transform in to the gun. So it's basically the Buster Prime mold with minor retooling. It does not (as I'm sure you've seen) have the super awesome paint apps of Buster Prime though.

Was at Walmart today. I wanted to find their exclusive Voyager Optimus Prime with Commetor (a repaint of Battle Blades Optimus Prime), but sadly there were none to be had. (if you want the regular Voyager DotM Optimus Prime, though, you're in luck, because he's a friggin' shelf-warmer around here).

I did pick up a Deluxe-class Optimus, though, also being advertised as an exclusive. I gotta say, for the price he's not bad. His truck mode is very good for a Deluxe, detailed and with his robot bits hidden very well. Bot mode is a bit of mixed bag, though. His proportions are pretty good and he's decently poseable, but he's sorely lacking in paint and missing some of his bot mode details, especially on his arms and shoulders. Overall, I'd say he's worth it for the alt mode alone, and he looks good with War for Cybertron Prime, Reveal the Shield Laser Prime, and the Deluxe Classics Prime (and probably the Deluxe for Transformers Prime Optimus when he comes out).

That aside, I do wish there were more better Voyager Optimus Primes out there. Battle Blades would have been a good replacement for Robovision Prime, but the new DotM Voyager sucks. And even if I have a good movie Prime in the Voyager size, he gets displayed with... what? Classics, and Universe Leo Prime. I'd love new Armada or Robots in Disguise Prime molds.

This made me laugh: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS20639&mode=retail&picture=in

They were giving this little guy away in the Gas Lamp district by the convention center for free.

And to each their own, but I honestly hope we never see a resurgence of Armada or RiD, especially the Optimus looks. Those toy lines/shows nearly killed my love of Transformers. Though again, that's just me.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

This made me laugh: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS20639&mode=retail&picture=in

They were giving this little guy away in the Gas Lamp district by the convention center for free.

And to each their own, but I honestly hope we never see a resurgence of Armada or RiD, especially the Optimus looks. Those toy lines/shows nearly killed my love of Transformers. Though again, that's just me.

I don't know about RiD or other Armada designs, but I LOVED Armada Optimus Prime, especially the vehicle mode. Sure, the super mode was a little terrible, but besides that, the figure itself was pretty neat imho. The fact that the trailer automatically opened when optimus was transformed to robot mode was especially awesome. For a figure released in 2002/3, that was pretty cool :D Nothing had that back then :lol:

Damn, I may have to pick up the Hasbro hot rod. It seems like they fixed a lot of the faults with the Takara version. It still doesn't look as nice, but I would either display him a car or rodimus prime.

Well, I think we've had this discussion in the locked TF4 thread, but you also like the movie designs a lot more than I do. So let's just agree that we have different tastes.

Now I'm not necessarily talking about the old toys... Classics were the first toys I'd bought since G1, and from what I gather, Armada was mostly junk. I'm talking about character design, and while I don't care for most of the character designs in RiD or Armada, Armada Prime and RiD Prime are two of my more favorite designs.

I liked the train guys, too.

And I didn't mention Energon or Cybertron because I'm not a fan of the designs for Prime in either of them (although I do own Leader Cybertron Prime, just because he's a Prime).

So yeah, I already own two versions of movie Optimus Prime (actually 3, I have a Robot Replicas one around here in my box of undisplayed toys). If I can find that repaint of Battle Blades Prime, I'll probably pick him up yet, but really, I have enough movie Primes. I'd love a good Voyager of Armada Prime, though. Just the cab, his super mode looked awful. As for RiD Prime, I'd actually like for a Leader class toy. I liked his regular mode and his super mode, and I'd love to see Hasbro redo him with modern engineering.

Well, I think we've had this discussion in the locked TF4 thread, but you also like the movie designs a lot more than I do. So let's just agree that we have different tastes.

This is very true, and I didn't mean anything combative by what I said. I'm not really sure what it even was that I disliked about the show/toys (though the designs aren't my favorite, i recall it being more than that). and Truthfully, if they brought some of those designs back in toy form like they did for those few Beast Wars characters, that'd be cool for fans who enjoy it.

armada/energon/cybertron where crap but RiD was awesome. The show was funnier and better animated than Armada and the toys where actually fun and poseable.

Personally I want an updated RiD Megatron/Galvitron with a more articulated fist mode. :p

This is very true, and I didn't mean anything combative by what I said. I'm not really sure what it even was that I disliked about the show/toys (though the designs aren't my favorite, i recall it being more than that). and Truthfully, if they brought some of those designs back in toy form like they did for those few Beast Wars characters, that'd be cool for fans who enjoy it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as combative either. It was just an observation. IIRC, while you were in the "keep the movie designs/no reboot" camp, you're reasoning was more "because I like the movie designs" than the "you're just a bitter geewunner!" that I seemed to be getting from some of the others. But that's neither here nor there.

Honestly, I don't blame anyone for not liking RiD or the Unicron Trilogy. Like I said, at least in the case of Armada, the toys seemed pretty crappy. And the cartoons ranged from passable to awful. But from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, Armada Prime and RiD Prime look good to me. Armada Prime is like G1 Prime (who is naturally my favorite, as I spent the formative years of my childhood with him as a sort of father figure standing in for the real dad who worked night shifts), but shorter and thicker. He looks tough. And RiD Prime has a sort of Prime of the future look.

And maybe I am a bitter geewunner after all. G1 Prime is the template to which all other Primes get compared in my mind. In general, I find the movie-verse Transformers to be mostly blandish and a little like what I'd get if I dumped my silverware drawer into the garbage disposal. I've mostly avoided the movie toys for that reason, although I did get a few Primes because he's one of the few movie characters that's instantly recognizable to someone who's only familiar G1 Transformers.

For as much as I don't like the movie-verse aesthetic, that's actually not my least favorite take on Optimus Prime. My least favorite is Animated. I loved the show, as it was extremely well-written and the characters were chalk full of personality. From a purely visual standpoint, though, I never cared for Derrick Wyatt's designs.

I can totally sypmathize with the Optimus thing, as he had a very similar role in my youth as well. I think I just take a bias against Prime's not voiced by Peter Cullen. Primal would be the exception since he was, in fact, not the same character.

And the movie-verse stuff isn't necessarily my favorite either, but Prime in particular brought me back to being a kid. Seeing him on the big screen with the right voice was very cool for me. So I suppose I'm apt to at least defend Prime's movie design (which I do truly love). There is something to be said about having your childhood hero and second father figure truly be larger than life. If it hadn't been Peter Cullen, it just wouldn't have had the same magic for me.

And I too do the same thing with regards to Optimus. All incarnations of him sort of get compared to my favorite template of him. Prior to the movies this was G1 Optimus without fail (I almost swore BW off entirely because I thought they just changed him). Movie Prime has really moved to the top of my list after the movies.

I do like some of the other movie designs too, especially the additions in DotM. I think overall, movie-verse designs got progressively better as the series went on. But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. So to each their own of course. I think (not to debate it much again here) that the general movie going public is much more tolerant (and perhaps even enjoys) the Bayverse designs since they may not have ties to the older cartoons. It's the mainstream audience I really see as the main justification for not-rebooting TF (from a studio standpoint anyways).

I can also understand your distaste for Animated design wise. It was not my favorite either, but the show itself grew on me and I wound up enjoying the series as a whole.

On sort of a random sidenote, I was looking through all the stuff I brought back from comic con this year and everything is Optimus related. Couple of figures, a few really awesome art prints, a best of Prime comic collection, the little Kre-O minifig.

Supposedly around December 2011. I find this disappointing, as Hasbro normally sells the toys on or before the show begins; yet in this case, the toys are a year late.

Thank you. Yea I found it odd too as to why they had a 30 min commercial with no toys to sell. The delay is kind of a good thing for me. Dotm sound wave and dino are the last on my list for movie figs and maybe an mp hotrod. There's at least 4 vfs I plan to get too and those are really going to hurt the bank.

Does anyone know when they'll start selling TFPrime figures?

A7 is currently right. They may get bought forward if the Movie line starts to drop off.

I'm also looking forward to them :)

From OTCA

Transformers: Prime

Entertainment 2-pack + DVD (US$? - AU?) (Dec 2011)

Optimus Prime (New Auto - Deluxe?)

Megatron (New Decep - Deluxe?)

Jackson (Human figurine)

Miko (Human figurine)

Raf (Human figurine)

Deluxe (US$12 - AU$25)

- - Wave 1 (Dec 2011)

Bumblebee (new)

Starscream (new)

Arcee (new)

- - Wave 2 (2012)

Cliffjumper

- - Wave 3 (2012)

Vehicon

Terrorcon Cliffjumper (zombie deco)

Voyager (US$12 - AU$25)

- - Wave 1 (2012)

Optimus Prime

Bulkhead

Roleplay (US$20 - AU$??) (Dec 2011)

Bumblebee Blaster (TF1 re-release)

Proposed Items (2012)

Cyberverse(?) - Ratchet, Wheeljack

Legion - Bumblebee with weapons, Arcee

Commander - Ironhide (?)

Deluxe - Soundwave (with Laserbeak on the chest and as a weapon), Ratchet, Wheeljack

Voyager - Starscream

Supposedly around December 2011. I find this disappointing, as Hasbro normally sells the toys on or before the show begins; yet in this case, the toys are a year late.

It's exactly the same thing that happened with animated. They don't want two of their toy lines competing against each other for shelf space so they're pushing back the cartoon so the movie line can finish it's run.

So I went to TRU yesterday looking for a Leader Sentinel Prime. I ended up not finding one there (which was odd considering they had 3 of them less than a week ago), I did happen to find this guy just lying around next to about 4 full pegs of early wave RotF deluxes. :p

DSCN0799.jpg

Does anyone know when they'll start selling TFPrime figures?

TFPrime Optimus Prime says it's available on HasbroToyShop, if you're looking to get one. The others won't be available until probably the 4th quarter of this year at the earliest.

TFPrime Optimus Prime says it's available on HasbroToyShop, if you're looking to get one. The others won't be available until probably the 4th quarter of this year at the earliest.

Thanks, just checked it. I think I'm going to hold off on that and wait for voyager prime. So out of shelf space already that I got to be really picky on what to get these days.

My last DOTM buys before moving on to TFP are deluxe and HA Soundwave, and DOTM Skyhammer.

Speaking of Skyhammer, I just recently saw some pics of a custom painted version, and for some unknown reason, I'm just mesmerized by it. I don't know why. Wasn't even a different paint scheme--same colors, but slightly more matte, and repainted head. Maybe it's the head that made all the difference.

Has there been any more news regarding the Takara Striker Optimus Prime? I wonder what the details are behind it. I don't have a ROTF leader prime mold, so was wondering if I should swing for the Jetwing, or wait for this one. I don't care too much for the new gun or shield, but I am really interested in that rumored triple changing concept (hopefully to that "stealth" mode or whatever)...

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-teaser-image-of-takara-transformers-dotm-da28-dx-optimus-prime/22483/

That article is really the only new news I've seen about that release so far. That picture kinda looks like...maybe he's painted up like buster Prime. But the quality is so bad its hard to say. I'd suggest finding a spot to pre-order him (I have one pre-ordered at bigbadtoystore) and just see what it winds up being. If he is just jetwing prime w/o the trailer and no special paint apps I'll probably pass since he's like 120 bucks. I'll keep the pre-order if he has a sweet paint job.

Otherwise I'll just hope the stand alone retooled leader Prime makes it over here eventually and buy it for 50 bucks.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-teaser-image-of-takara-transformers-dotm-da28-dx-optimus-prime/22483/

That article is really the only new news I've seen about that release so far. That picture kinda looks like...maybe he's painted up like buster Prime. But the quality is so bad its hard to say. I'd suggest finding a spot to pre-order him (I have one pre-ordered at bigbadtoystore) and just see what it winds up being. If he is just jetwing prime w/o the trailer and no special paint apps I'll probably pass since he's like 120 bucks. I'll keep the pre-order if he has a sweet paint job.

Otherwise I'll just hope the stand alone retooled leader Prime makes it over here eventually and buy it for 50 bucks.

Wasn't Jetwing Prime around $120 as well? If this was just a better painted DOTM prime without the Jetpack, than I don't think it would warrant a similar price tag, even with the extra gun and shield. I was thinking that maybe the "third mode" or whatever would warrant the extra $$ for the price tag...

Alternatively, the name "striker" suggests that he has something to....strike with. I was hoping that might be a trailer that coverts to a battle station like in the movie, but that really is a pipe dream

Eh...I'll just pick up a Human Alliance Sideswipe in the meantime. I like its Alt mode and design a lot more than prime's anyways..

Edited by Archer

My friend helped me pick this up at SDCC. She gave it to me last weekend. I just finally got a chance to take an impromptu photoshoot.

dsc1755.jpg

LOL - awesome. One question, did it come sticker-ed up or did you do the honors?

-b.

My friend helped me pick this up at SDCC. She gave it to me last weekend. I just finally got a chance to take an impromptu photoshoot.

Great toy, and fantastic pictures! I just picked up the standard version yesterday, and was wondering how I should modify it. Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make a facsimile of the Starscream deco, altho' I'm sure my efforts won't look as good as your pristine specimen. :) Was also thinking possibly of a Macross Zero F-14 ....

Thanks, MyClone

Anyone got a (all) human alliance figure? I have been meaning to pick one up, but can't decide which one is the best. My two favs, at least in terms of alt mode, are Sideswipe and Roadbuster. If you got 'em, which one is the better of the two. And also, if its not one of those two, which H.A. is the best overall.

Don't want to waste money on terrible products lol

Great toy, and fantastic pictures! I just picked up the standard version yesterday, and was wondering how I should modify it. Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make a facsimile of the Starscream deco, altho' I'm sure my efforts won't look as good as your pristine specimen. :) Was also thinking possibly of a Macross Zero F-14 ....

Thanks, MyClone

Where did you get the standard version? I want to make two. One as Macross of course. and the second as Jetfire.

To answer the other persons question. I had to sticker it myself. the only part painted is the orange/red bars over the intakes and blue nosecone.

Anyone got a (all) human alliance figure? I have been meaning to pick one up, but can't decide which one is the best. My two favs, at least in terms of alt mode, are Sideswipe and Roadbuster. If you got 'em, which one is the better of the two. And also, if its not one of those two, which H.A. is the best overall.

Don't want to waste money on terrible products lol

I've got Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Jazz, and Barricade. Of these, I only dislike Sideswipe (if you want mine, PM me and you can have it for a song). Jazz is probably the best overall, but I really like Bumblebee, too. TFW2005 reports that some discount stores (like Ross) are still receiving shipments of HA Jazz.

Where did you get the standard version? I want to make two. One as Macross of course. and the second as Jetfire.

Target (in Walnut Creek, CA) had a few yesterday at $34.99, not a bad price for a toy of this size.

Best, MyClone