HG and Robotech Debates

at best, ROBOTECH was an early stab at a trojan-horse for introducing realitively minimally-adulterated Anime to a U.S. T.V. broadcast industry that was simply not ready for it.

at worst, ROBOTECH is a naive series for a naive period of U.S. history.

in any case, however, i feel that it is a product long out-of-date, and best forgotten.

it's time is long gone, and HG simply cannot seem to grasp the simple fact that it is impossible to practice

such outdated business techniques in this modern, information-empowered world.

whoever calls all the ultimate shots over there at HG is clearly a person frozen in time

that simply cannot be bothered to understand how today's world is...

Edited by Shaorin

And before anyone starts, think about this:

25 years ago, Robotech and Harmony Gold may or may not helped in bringing anime to the West.

25 years later, Robotech and Harmony Gold are helping prevent specific anime from coming to the West.

I'll never credit Robotech in helping to bring anime to the West, especially since there were at least a dozen or so shows that were brought over long before Robotech was.

it's time is long gone, and HG simply cannot seem to grasp the simple fact that it is impossible to practice such outdated business techniques in this modern, information-empowered world.

Well, if the market decides no one wants Robotech, then you'll be correct. If, on the other hand, it does not, then you would be wrong.

Incidentally, Bendo's taking the coward's way out...he appoints a time in which I'm busy, and says, in effect, "THIS is the time we'll meet!"

Well...I guess we all knew he was just a sad-sack idiot who couldn't face me, huh? :rolleyes:

About that, to me it's pretty messed up that MEMO, a "big name" in the fandom, is acting as a sort of intermediary between you two, a.k.a. an enabler. He's acting like an idiot hoping it's going to be a stimulating, fair and balanced conversation when the talkshoe podcast, and also his own two to be honest, never is. It's just going to be this for an hour or two for a stupid TV show:

tumblr_lr8kvlnCyy1qcwmxgo1_500.gif

And I_Fly_For_Firebomber, a lot of people had the same story about getting burned by Robotech. And a lot were genuine, honest people who loved the franchise and got royally screwed by HG or their super fans.

Edited by Einherjar

I'll never credit Robotech in helping to bring anime to the West, especially since there were at least a dozen or so shows that were brought over long before Robotech was.

I've never credited it either. Even just before it aired, there was Voltron, which was Go Lion. Then you have many others. Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), Speed Racer (Mach Go Go?) Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, and the list goes on. During the time that Robotech had been aired, there was a trend already starting, where t.v. stations were starting to see the quality in Japanese anime, and if they weren't bringing it over, they were hiring their staff, artists, and/or, attempting to replicate their animation style themselves. Had Robotech not been there, it's easily conceivable that anime would still make it into a semi-mainstream status. I believe the claim that Robotech made Japanese anime popular is just an empty, extremely subjective claim that Robotech fans and employees hold onto, to validate its existence.

I've never credited it either. Even just before it aired, there was [sNIP] Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman),

As much as HG is hated for what they did to get Macross on the air, it pails in comparison to what was done to Gatchaman - I would actually count that show as an argument in favor of HG helping to bring Anime to the West...

Speed Racer (Mach Go Go?) Astro Boy,

Those two, along with Star Blazers and Marine Boy (never knew the Japanese title) are the best arguments against HG's claim.

I've never credited it either. Even just before it aired, there was Voltron, which was Go Lion. Then you have many others. Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), Speed Racer (Mach Go Go?) Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, and the list goes on. During the time that Robotech had been aired, there was a trend already starting, where t.v. stations were starting to see the quality in Japanese anime, and if they weren't bringing it over, they were hiring their staff, artists, and/or, attempting to replicate their animation style themselves. Had Robotech not been there, it's easily conceivable that anime would still make it into a semi-mainstream status. I believe the claim that Robotech made Japanese anime popular is just an empty, extremely subjective claim that Robotech fans and employees hold onto, to validate its existence.

I agree with you. I remember watching stuff like Speed Racer, Mazinger Z and Candy waay before Robotech ever came out. HG's claim of being 'groundbreaking' is just plain nonsense.

As much as HG is hated for what they did to get Macross on the air, it pails in comparison to what was done to Gatchaman - I would actually count that show as an argument in favor of HG helping to bring Anime to the West...

Those two, along with Star Blazers and Marine Boy (never knew the Japanese title) are the best arguments against HG's claim.

Star Blazers was known as Space Cruiser Yamato in Japan.

...and Marine Boy (never knew the Japanese title) are the best arguments against HG's claim.

I find your lack of Google-fu disturbing. :mellow:Undersea Boy Marine (Kaitei Shōnen Marin)

If you want space opera just watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Heck, we have a whole thread dedicated to it: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34410

I find your lack of Google-fu disturbing. :mellow:Undersea Boy Marine (Kaitei Shōnen Marin)

I have plenty of google fu, in this instance I couldn't be arsed to look. Some things just are not worth the bother...

Star Blazers was known as Space Cruiser Yamato in Japan.

I thought that was Space Battleship Yamato.

How is it no one remembers Thundersub!

Can't remember what I have never seen before! And man that dub sounds bad.

Can I just say the phrase, " I find your lack of Google-Fu disturbiing" is one of the best things I have ever read. Granted I am sure it has been said elsewhere but that is just awesome and how I feel everyday when i pull up info when others can't.

About that, to me it's pretty messed up that MEMO, a "big name" in the fandom, is acting as a sort of intermediary between you two, a.k.a. an enabler. He's acting like an idiot hoping it's going to be a stimulating, fair and balanced conversation when the talkshoe podcast, and also his own two to be honest, never is. It's just going to be this for an hour or two for a stupid TV show:

tumblr_lr8kvlnCyy1qcwmxgo1_500.gif

And I_Fly_For_Firebomber, a lot of people had the same story about getting burned by Robotech. And a lot were genuine, honest people who loved the franchise and got royally screwed by HG or their super fans.

The only issue with this the "conversation", is that bendo was told the day that Gubaba can't do it, due to work, timeframe, or whatever, and that's the one time that he's picked. It's a very passive aggressive way of skirting the confrontation, and a diluted way to make him feel like he's won some imaginary battle. What makes it even more funny, is the fact that most people without the "issues" he has, can see through that. I wonder if he thought we wouldn't.

To add, I don't think everyone here has been burned. I'd say people here are the ones who just got fed up, but I don't know about burned. It'd take a lot for someone to really get burned, and I don't think anyone here really falls into that.

ANYWAYS...Pro-toe-coal-cha, we love it, we need it, we are addicts? :o

Edited by Jasonc

So much mindless hate here lol.

I enjoy both shows. :)

The English dubbing and voice acting of Robotech:Macross is more relateable to me than reading subtitles.

Macross 7 is amazing. I don't care what anyone says, I love Macross-7. We're talking I'd have its lovechild-level Love.

Mossapedia(sp?) was good, I really did like it.

Honestly, for all the elitism here you'd think there'd be a little pointy white hat that is handed out when your posts breach 100.

Yeah, I know what Harmony Gold sucked but they did what they thought was best and I'm willing to put money down that most of you saw Robotech first and thats when you fell in love with the series.

I'm also willing to bet that most of you own Robotech products. I hated Shadow Chronicles, feel that the animation style was ugly and the story sucked, so I'm not here from Robotech.com and under my gleaming Captain Marvel shirt there isn't a "I love Tommy Yune" shirt or anything like that but the abrasive slander in this thread is just really ugly for the most part.

Would I love to see Macross 7 and Macross Frontier released in english?

Sure I would, it'd be great to be able to pick things up here or there from the shows I like--but at the same time I do enjoy the hunt for exotic merchandise. Its exciting to find something I have never seen before. Maybe I'm weird but I love it.

Also I hated Alto.

He was a loser.

In fact besides Ranka, Ozma, and Clan Clang I could not stand most of the cast of Frontier and found that most of what happened was just a rehash of the original Macross story with what pop-culture has dictated as "cool" and "modern" anime character. Why was Alto a carbon copy Samurai, because it's "cool" that's why. Because they wanted an anime pretty-boy unfeeling Sepheroth clone at the front of their product because thats good marketing. There was very little HEART in the series, the romances were graceful yet faux, everything was slender and uniform and overly complicated. Now, maybe if I could speak Japenese the story would've seemed more natural to me... but it just really didn't have the substance that I had been hoping it would.

I guess my point here is that the best bits of Frontier were normally those that mirrored the original Macross Series and it was less a space opera and a story and more of an anime (something Macross-7 was guilty off too). And while I'm at it, you know what I figured out is the biggest difference from the original Macross and its processors?

I don't care about the new SDF's or the crew. I don't know what it was exactly that they did differently, maybe it was because we saw so much of the civilians struggling within the SDF-1, but I actually cared when the ship was damaged and the state of the crew. I don't get that with the new series' The SDF-Class ships are still awe-inspiring craft and they've used them to do some very cool things but they're just... big ships.

My point is, if you're going to bash Robotech for 30 odd pages for being unoriginal and rehashing then its only fair Macross takes some on the chin too. I honestly believe that if the writers of Frontier focused more on the characters and the storytellers rather than adhering to the standard anime norm than we would've gotten a much better product.

Also, Hi, I'm the new guy. ;)

I agree with most of your points with the exception of your listing Klan in amongst the likeable characters of MacF. :p

However, I should point out that the scorn within this thread is mostly brought about by Harmony Gold's "business practices" than how bad a show Robotech may have been -- though of course the former certainly tarnishes people's attitudes to the latter.

HG should let Uwe Boll and Tommy Wiseau make the RTLAM

I must admit I had to think about it for a moment, but I wouldn't even wish that on Robotech, the garbage that it is and has been compared to the real deal.

Not sure I could wish Boll upon anything in good conscience. ...still, it'd be hilarious, however unintentionally.

I must admit I had to think about it for a moment, but I wouldn't even wish that on Robotech, the garbage that it is and has been compared to the real deal.

Not sure I could wish Boll upon anything in good conscience. ...still, it'd be hilarious, however unintentionally.

Uwe Boil? Thanks, but NO thanks. :angry:

However while we are "bitching" about Harmony Gold I started watching Captain Harlok for the first time in my desperate attempt to find something space operaish other than Macross (anyone have any suggestions?) and I noticed that it was done by HG yet I can't find a DVD release for it on their website at all. Its cool because I get everything way cheaper from Kora, but wouldn't it be smarter to release more of the stuff youve done then release re-re-re-re-re-re-re-remastered versions of the series we already own?

"Hello, my name is [my name here] and I would like to inquire about investing in the Robotech Franchise."

They let many of their licenses go at the end of the 80s including Captain Harlock, Queen Millenia (And The Queen Of A Thousand Years), Galaxy Express, Megazone 23, Lensman, Little Women, Dracula, Frankenstein, and Dragonball. Birth (World of the Talisman/Planetbusters) and Windaria are no longer listed on their website but I assume those were permanent.

Harmony Gold is a privately owned company run by Frank Agrama. They said at a convention they don't accept investing.

They let many of their licenses go at the end of the 80s including Captain Harlock, Queen Millenia (And The Queen Of A Thousand Years), Galaxy Express, Megazone 23, Lensman, Little Women, Dracula, Frankenstein, and Dragonball. Birth (World of the Talisman/Planetbusters) and Windaria are no longer listed on their website but I assume those were permanent.

Harmony Gold is a privately owned company run by Frank Agrama. They said at a convention they don't accept investing.

And thats why they're failing. They could have been like funimation and released dragonball so many times that it becomes an annoyance. Also investors would go "We have this item that can make us money. Why aren't we using it?" Steve then answers question with slide show full of cute kittens.

RtLAM Max gets married:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgPYaCr6so

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I agree with most of your points with the exception of your listing Klan in amongst the likeable characters of MacF. :p

now come on. how could anyone possibly hate this sweet little thing?

20109597.jpg

i mean, REALLY?

KlanKlang.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

yeah no one cares about all the dumb hate you bring into every thread

jerk

Considering this entire thread is based around hate, I find your comment someone hypocritical (and ironic, considering I don't really get involved in this discussion). You also wildly exaggerate.

Edited by Duke Togo