HG and Robotech Debates

Variants of the German StuG III and many other assault guns/tank destroyers had no roof crew protection.

example: British Archer tank destroyer

Archer_SP_17_pdr_Tank_Destroyer.jpg

And that's probably why they weren't so common, and were probably used more for artillery and/or artillery defense. If not, what's the point of having defense, but leaving the a very easily penetrating area?

Idk. Denborium is kinda ridiculous. Who really need's a giant robot for their giant robot.

you see, at least the Dendrobium is crazy overarmed to the point of being kind of cool. the various rocket sleds are just sleds, made of rockets, that the robots just sort of sit on and fly around awkwardly with. they don't even ride the things in a cool fashion.

Base-jabber94.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that the rocket sleds in Gundam where some of the dumbest things in the entire franchise?

Well, at first they were used to allow MSs to fly but then that idea faded when transforming MSs started becoming the norm for atmospheric use. By the time we got to Char's Counterattack, they became a mode of transport since MSs were being launched well beyond the combat zone and they didn't have enough fuel to get themselves to the combat zone. So they're not suppose to ride those things in some cool fashion. The hitch a ride, then ditch them when they get close enough.

As for Southern Cross, they had the mother ships that carried them, then transport ships that brought them to the combat field, then they ride the hover boards in and around the combat zone...At least Mobile suits had boosters to get them around and didn't always need the Base Jabbers. I don't recall the Bioroids even having thrusters.

As for Southern Cross, they had the mother ships that carried them, then transport ships that brought them to the combat field, then they ride the hover boards in and around the combat zone...At least Mobile suits had boosters to get them around and didn't always need the Base Jabbers. I don't recall the Bioroids even having thrusters.

Again, unlike Base Jabbers, the Biover is armed. Furthermore, the Bioroid is shown to be capable of operating in space and the upper atmosphere (flying) without the Biover.

GreenSubcommanderwithDisc-typeBlast.jpg

GreenSubcommanderBioroidswithoutaBi.jpg

The Bioroid also does have thrusters in the feet:

GreenSubcommanderBioroidutilizingro.jpg

Variants of the German StuG III and many other assault guns/tank destroyers had no roof crew protection.

and see where it got them back in WWII?

In the Auroran's defense, I don't recall a single scene where the helicopter mode was ever even used. I would imagine that the copter mode would only be used in an atmosphere.

it damned well better have!!

Edited by Shaorin

Dumber than girls in bikinis attacking the V Gundam...?

Admittedly I kind of got burnt out on UC gundam around F91 and haven't actually watched much of V Gundam, but considering it involves girls in bikinis I'm more willing to give it a pass. :p

A bit off-topic, but I do not believe any StuG III versions lacked overhead and rear armor.

And I'm pretty sure about that.

If you mean other SPGs based on modified Pz.III-ish chassis, like the Hummel, then sure.

The first few examples of the short gunned StuG III rolled off the assembly line without roofs. In pre war testing they found this was vulnerable to small arms fire while on a forward facing slope. By 1938 they had all been modified to have roofs.

And that's probably why they weren't so common, and were probably used more for artillery and/or artillery defense. If not, what's the point of having defense, but leaving the a very easily penetrating area?

Actually quite a few were common like the U.S. M-10 wolverine tank destroyer over 6,700 were built. Having no roof helps with target spotting, faster reloading, casing clearing, and adds more speed due to less weight. WWII tank destroyer doctrine consisted of speed and firepower above all else. The M18 hellcat(also open topped) could be clocked at up to 60mph(97kmh).

Personally I kinda like the idea behind the spartas. Its obvious that the mecha designer tried to merge 3 different types of mechanized warfare into the one mecha. The speed of a jeep, the firpower of self propelled artillery, and the all around ability of a main battle tank.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Personally I kinda like the idea behind the spartas. Its obvious that the mecha designer tried to merge 3 different types of mechanized warfare into the one mecha. The speed of a jeep, the firpower of self propelled artillery, and the all around ability of a main battle tank.

I thought Southern Cross was originally envisioned as a Sci-fi story in a Sengoku Japan era like setting. The Spartas were kind of meant to be like space chariots.

I thought Southern Cross was originally envisioned as a Sci-fi story in a Sengoku Japan era like setting. The Spartas were kind of meant to be like space chariots.

That was the original idea including robotic horses and pagoda battleships, all of it was scrapped in favor of what we evetually got. The only thing that survived the change was the hover sleds.

c1cfe45d58a6dabd.jpg

6de33a0335358830.jpg

96b7e29d25ebec0f.jpg

0dba75ae9a7b6a23.jpg

3b7d5c529531f951.jpg

NO " Lifting body" ! KISSDUM NES "Cockpit-Armor System".

02.jpg

69c5a55357f69bae.jpg

10bb44d7696ff202.jpg

053ffb0f90c45bfd.jpg

VF-8 Logan s more " Lifting body" style aerodynamics design than air-combat maneuver.

X-24A, M2-F3 and HL-10 lifting body X-planes is no-suitable for ACM as like F-16. (Nor KISSDUM NES "Cockpit-Armor System". )

Logan's body is more suitable for Atmospheric entry as Waverider.

On the other hand VHT-10 "Auroran " (AGACS) has 3-configurations. (High-Altitude aerospace-fighter / Helicopter / Battroid. )

Helicopter - "Atmosphere & Gravity sphere on the planets" configuration is subsitite for GERWALK in VF-1 VF-4, VFA-6 and VF-7.

However, AGACS's movement of the re-evaluation about abolish GERWALK to put a great burden on a pilot and "posture / altitude control computer " and stability because of top heavy for that middle form, and having adopted a helicopter form.

The model more than 30 minutes is rare except the new generation floatage system airplane which seems to be YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II by Advanced Variable Fighter (A.V.F.) for only several minutes at the continuation hovering time with the GERWALK configuration of first VERITECH/Variable Fighter "VF-1 VALKYLIE" whereas she is unlimited at hovering time except mechanical fatigue of VFH-10 Auroran(and "VFH-12 Supreme-Auroran" ).

Edited by yui1107

Yeah...putting up pics of the Logan doesn't help Southern Cross's argument. :unsure:

I can defend the Body Armor, AJAC's and Hovertanks, but the Logan...ewww...that over sized cockpit bubble might as well have been painted with a bullseye. Ugly in Fighter mode and completely fugly in Gerwalk.

While I haven't seen the original work of Southern Cross, I'm not one to hate it completely either. There was potential there...while not even close to epic as Macross or as popular as Mospeada, to me Southern Cross was not a horrid pile of wasted animation as some seem to think it is.

While I haven't seen the original work of Southern Cross, I'm not one to hate it completely either. There was potential there...while not even close to epic as Macross or as popular as Mospeada, to me Southern Cross was not a horrid pile of wasted animation as some seem to think it is.

Mospeada...popular...? With WHO? :blink:

oh gawd. those ANTARCTIC PRESS ROBOTECH comic scans just bring back BAD memories for me. pure pain, to be quite sure.

not so terribly long ago, (a little over a decade) i was but yet another pathetic, criminally-malnourished MACROSS/ROBOTECH fan,

jealously devouring every little fraction of even loosely based MACROSS/ROBOTECH material i could manage to desparately dredge up,

including those godawful AP comics.

it's a strangely interesting, yet exceedingly painful mental condition to be in;

to be a fan so psychotically desperate and under-fed in their particular fandom,

that one enthusiastically and gratefully accepts even the slightest and most woefully inadequate tidbits

that HG had deigned themselves to toss out in the existing ROBOTECH fandom's general direction...

...Youth is, as they say, rather Wasted on the Young...

Edited by Shaorin

Hmm... way back when, I was following the Robotech comics, but STOPPED when Antarctic Press got the license from Academy Comics. Truly nasty stuff... not only did they do the artistic faux pas of copy/pasting the lineart, they completely butchered characterization! Captain Global cooking? Yee-gawds!

And yet its possible, however unlikely, that the KISSDUM mecha designer Shoji Kawamori liked the Logan 'Flying Walker' mode.

It's also possible, however unlikely, that my tuna sandwich is going to suddenly become a ham sandwich.

Because it's not like the KISSDUM robot looks like the ED-209, or Glaug (any flavor), or even anything Kawamori has ever drawn before in his nearly 30 years as a designer.

Because it's not like the KISSDUM robot looks like the ED-209, or Glaug (any flavor), or even anything Kawamori has ever drawn before in his nearly 30 years as a designer.

Heck, he probably has binders full of stuff that never made it to print, just like any writer, designer, or anyone else in the business.

Ive been out of the loop for a bit. Does anyone know if HG is kicking themselves even harder for not pushing harder in light of the success of Voltron and Thundercats?

What are you talking about? There's another DVD set of the original 85 episodes coming out next month. A re-re-re-re-re-release is something to be psyched about, right? :mellow:

Also, apparently, this is too for some reason:

Everyone should watch Futurama tonight.

Let me guess, in addition to the Voltron theme, the crew paid HG for to use music from Robotech? The anime section of tonight's episode has some connection to Macross, which can also be attributed to Robotech? There's commentary about dubs in the 80's?

Confirmed.

Edited by Einherjar

What are you talking about? There's another DVD set of the original 85 episodes coming out next month. A re-re-re-re-re-release is something to be psyched about, right? :mellow:

Also, apparently, this is too for some reason:

Everyone should watch Futurama tonight.

Let me guess, in addition to the Voltron theme, the crew paid HG for to use music from Robotech? The anime section of tonight's episode has some connection to Macross, which can also be attributed to Robotech? There's commentary about dubs in the 80's?

Confirmed.

So it seems the consensus from the public IE random people on the internet, yesterdays episode had a segment parodying Voltron and Battle of the Planets. It seems the Macross portion was completely lost on people. That makes sense since Robotech hasn't had a new TV show for over 25 years. So what exactly did HG think was going to happen?

So it seems the consensus from the public IE random people on the internet, yesterdays episode had a segment parodying Voltron and Battle of the Planets. It seems the Macross portion was completely lost on people. That makes sense since Robotech hasn't had a new TV show for over 25 years. So what exactly did HG think was going to happen?

People with good ears would be able to hear a small portion of Robotech background music during the battle scene. Not that it was being treated as a big deal anywhere else, but that was it. If people remembered, or cared, then I guess that would be as big of a deal as the one time The Late Show with David Letterman used Robotech background music or the Recliner of Rage segment with Robotech.

So I guess HG has something to brag about during next year's convention tour.

Edited by Einherjar

Let me break my Caps Lock key...

OMG! OMG! OMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ZOMG11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 SEE ROWBOWTECH111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 ZOMG1111111111111111111111111111111111

Honestly? It's just a sound bite...If those kids are actually screaming like school girls...I would recommend they see a mental health professional.