HG and Robotech Debates

I forgot to ask, what the hell is the Southern Cross thing that Yui posted about? I have no f*cking clue what it's supposed to be. Is it just an old ad or something? If I don't get it, I hope at least one person does.

Looks like an old ad from an anime magazine insert. As for what its about, it appears to be whatever the official program designations for the Spartas and Aurorans were in Southern Cross.

Tim Eldred did some comics right? I seem to recall he was the only one who could really draw the robots. But all the characters were done in a more realistic and western style so they were unrecognizable.

I bought one of his old comics recently, the robots look very Megazone-inspired. Not bad.

Yeah that was Chaser Platoon. He also did one called Broid.

So it's been a while since I watch Mospeada, but why do the Robotechies insist she has teleportation powers? Pretty sure the only teleportation that happened was when people touch the Refles base and teleported inside.

I think that bit was from the Love & War comics.

Wait how could the Zentradi kill the Mars Base crew? Wasn't the whole base dead long before that?

They couldn't have. In the Robotech episode "Bye Bye, Mars" Breetai and Exedore were discussing the base was destroyred during an earlier conflict.

I just hulued the episode. Exedore clearly states the the base was abandoned after a conflict with their allied forces.

The base was clearly destroyed during the Global Civil War (World War III).

They couldn't have. In the Robotech episode "Bye Bye, Mars" Breetai and Exedore were discussing the base was destroyred during an earlier conflict.

I just hulued the episode. Exedore clearly states the the base was abandoned after a conflict with their allied forces.

The base was clearly destroyed during the Global Civil War (World War III).

Sorry. Tommy Yune says so. Thus, you lose. Thanks for playing!

Can't wait for the day that the RT:LAM is formally cancelled and all of the RT nuts, in their rage, start to blame US for the projects failure.....

Hell, I'd be willing to take the blame. Ultimately, though, they'll all probably blame Seto Kaiba! :lol:

Of course! She's so sexy when she can squeeze a walnut with her butt cheeks while singing "We will Win!" :lol:

Bad visual.

Hell, I'd be willing to take the blame. Ultimately, though, they'll all probably blame Seto Kaiba! :lol:

They blame him for everything. Shadow rising being delayed, Alpha fighters being stuck on a boat, the animation in shadow chronicles, why memo types in all caps, robotech 3000 and the list goes on.

List cont:

Shadow chronicles sucking, toynami having bad quality, dougbendo, why hg doesn't want to spend money on robotech...

(fixed)

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Bad visual.

They blame him for everything. Shadow rising being delayed, Alpha fighters being stuck on a boat, the animation in shadow chronicles, why memo types in all caps, robotech 3000 and the list goes on.

List cont:

Shadow chronicles sucking, toynami having bad quality, dougbendo, why hg doesn't have money...

The only thing that I'd probably correct you on there, is the fact that HG does have money, and tons of it. How much they're willing to spend on Robotech, that's a different story. It seems like Frank Agrama only views Robotech as just a small pee-on piece of the whole pie. Unless the LAM gets made, to him, he probably won't think much of it. It would probably be the difference between the franchise being worth a couple mil, verses $50-$60 mil (example and not precise figures, of course).

The only thing that I'd probably correct you on there, is the fact that HG does have money, and tons of it. How much they're willing to spend on Robotech, that's a different story. It seems like Frank Agrama only views Robotech as just a small pee-on piece of the whole pie. Unless the LAM gets made, to him, he probably won't think much of it. It would probably be the difference between the franchise being worth a couple mil, verses $50-$60 mil (example and not precise figures, of course).

I have a serious question. Why is Robotech even still around, even in its life support state? I mean, there really hasn't been any sort of product released since Shadow Chronicles, other than re releases of the same series that was released maybe 6 years ago at least. It really seems like this franchise has dried up and run its course, and all Tommy, Kevin, and others are just beating on its dead corpse. The "sidequel" might generate some interest, but if it's the same quality that Shadow Chronicles did, it probably won't do that much to bring in new fans. I mean come on, we haven't even had a major Robotech video game release since the last console generation.

I have a serious question. Why is Robotech even still around, even in its life support state? I mean, there really hasn't been any sort of product released since Shadow Chronicles, other than re releases of the same series that was released maybe 6 years ago at least. It really seems like this franchise has dried up and run its course, and all Tommy, Kevin, and others are just beating on its dead corpse. The "sidequel" might generate some interest, but if it's the same quality that Shadow Chronicles did, it probably won't do that much to bring in new fans. I mean come on, we haven't even had a major Robotech video game release since the last console generation.

Here's a serious answer. Robotech is owned by a really old guy (Frank Agrama) who's made millions from real estate, owning a theater, foreign sales of domestic TV and films, and shady off-shore deals with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Robotech to him is a fun little franchise to own, that while seemingly dormant, has made him money throughout all of these years. Those comics with the horrible art that someone linked to above? Those have still made him money. Shadow Chronicles, as crappy as it was, still made him money. Toynami's crappy toys? You guessed it. They still make money. And you better believe that Tobey McGuire gave him a decent sum for the rights to the live action movie that will probably never get made.

So, while using these residuals to help three employees coast on these earnings, Frank Agrama still has his own little franchise to play around with. Plus, the earnings from Robotech help keep the feds off of his back while they continue to deal with his Berlusconi past.

Here's a serious answer. Robotech is owned by a really old guy (Frank Agrama) who's made millions from real estate, owning a theater, foreign sales of domestic TV and films, and shady off-shore deals with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Robotech to him is a fun little franchise to own, that while seemingly dormant, has made him money throughout all of these years. Those comics with the horrible art that someone linked to above? Those have still made him money. Shadow Chronicles, as crappy as it was, still made him money. Toynami's crappy toys? You guessed it. They still make money. And you better believe that Tobey McGuire gave him a decent sum for the rights to the live action movie that will probably never get made.

So, while using these residuals to help three employees coast on these earnings, Frank Agrama still has his own little franchise to play around with. Plus, the earnings from Robotech help keep the feds off of his back while they continue to deal with his Berlusconi past.

Probably correct, and I have always suspected that RT might also be some sort of tax dodge for the company too.....

The figure's not bad except it looks like she has two sets of knees.

it also tends to look rather like her knees are exposed... diectly ABOVE the knee-pads of her boots. talk about ill-sized!!

Edited by Shaorin

I still don't understand why HG seems to just want to sit on Robotech and not do anything with it. Is Robotech usually identified as anime? Do they sit on it because of the state of the industry? Can they really not find a creative team to work on it? (a fact I find very hard to believe)

I still don't understand why HG seems to just want to sit on Robotech and not do anything with it. Is Robotech usually identified as anime? Do they sit on it because of the state of the industry? Can they really not find a creative team to work on it? (a fact I find very hard to believe)

Because that's too much work for them.

Robotech is anime, but Harmony Gold doesn't work in the anime industry. The people they farm out their animation work to actually do.

Possibly tax write off. Like Uwe Boll movies.

What I find funny, is that HG thinks that these complaints and many peoples' dissatisfaction with the franchise because they "Love Robotech so much." At this point, my response is, "No, we criticize and make fun of it because quite a few of us really don't like it as it is now." My fandom stops after I'd say '95. I stuck with it, hoping it'd turn into something, but the crap that's been generated can easily turn someone against it.

I just remember fans creaming themselves when the robotech crystal dreams demo footage was leaked. Low standards in the fanbase were at an alltime low back then. Now I don't even know how you'd measure it.