HG and Robotech Debates

That'll cost too much. Just replace the words vampire, monster and abomination with protoculture matrix.

Besides you forgot about Dr. Lang.

Dr. Lang is not on the cast list because he wasn't considered at the time. But you gotta admit, a Robotech LAM with the Twilight cast is a brilliant idea. Bring in the two most gullible groups of fans into one theater and nuke it.

It's a resin garage kit of Nova Satori from the Robotech Masters arc of the series.

By coincidence, Mika Doi has voiced three different characters on the three shows that would later become Robotech: Misa Hayase/Lisa Hayes (Macross) Lana Isavia/Nova Satori (Southern Cross) and Houquet et Rose/Rook Bartley (MOSPEADA).

Bonus points goes out to me since Doi-san also provided the voice of Queen Serenity on a few episodes of Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon.

????

1316260350286.jpg

well, what does it look like, anyway?

a WIP kitbash consisting of combining the old ARII SC "Lana Isavia" model kit with one of the many VOCALOID "Miku Hatsune" figures to be found in abundance.

really doesn't look like she'll be half bad when finished. she'll surely blow away the old stock ARII kit, at the very least...

Edited by Shaorin

It's a resin garage kit of Nova Satori from the Robotech Masters arc of the series.

By coincidence, Mika Doi has voiced three different characters on the three shows that would later become Robotech: Misa Hayase/Lisa Hayes (Macross) Lana Isavia/Nova Satori (Southern Cross) and Houquet et Rose/Rook Bartley (MOSPEADA).

Bonus points goes out to me since Doi-san also provided the voice of Queen Serenity on a few episodes of Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon.

But...Robotech fans don't care who voiced the characters in Japanese, so what's your point...?

well, what does it look like, anyway?

a WIP kitbash consisting of combining the old ARII SC "Lana Isavia" model kit with one of the many VOCALOID "Miku Hatsune" figures to be found in abundance.

really doesn't look like she'll be half bad when finished. she'll surely blow away the old stock ARII kit, at the very least...

The original at least had tits...

1316868761022.jpg

Updated; His sculpture has finished, the current time (Japan Standard Time) joined

the paint & clear skin coating operation in !

1317135600902.jpg

1316696582029.jpg

Edited by yui1107

That statue looks cute, but nowhere near anything like Lana from Southern Cross. I'm also a bit confused as to why the announcement of this statue was written in such big headlines, as it's just someone's attempt at a kitbash that now looks like neither of the two. Good effort, but looks nothing like it is intended.

Was at the comic store today and the owner returned a Macross II drawing to me that I had done 20 years ago. While we were reminiscing about the past, an employee saw it and said "I love Robotech!" Just reminded me how messed up BOTH franchises are in the US thanks to HG.

Was at the comic store today and the owner returned a Macross II drawing to me that I had done 20 years ago. While we were reminiscing about the past, an employee saw it and said "I love Robotech!" Just reminded me how messed up BOTH franchises are in the US thanks to HG.

not everyone wants a waifu

but i thought the frontier cast was fine

not epic like the 7 cast but hey

the universe is big enough for only one Basara

This is true... so why not use him?

I think that was one of my biggest issues with Frontier, there was all this little cross over stuff happening here or there, but I would've liked to see some of the old characters in the new snazzy razmataz style of Frontier. I have always been a sucker for the old school hero trope. You cant tell me that it would not have been awesome to see an aging Hikaru Ichijyo fly circles Frontier's best. They don't need a leading role but a nice guest star from some of the old faces as a nod to the fans would be pretty sweet. I think that my favorite episode of Frontier was when Alto rocks up to the reenactment with using the booster tech. It was corny but it was cool too but not quite the same thing. You can't tell me that an episode where Ozma Lee was starstruck because he heard that Basara was on frontier and so Ranka set out to track him down to get an autograph for her brother would've been out of place. Set it up so that he's been hanging out with Alto in a bay the whole time trying to avoid his fans in classic Basara-style and its not until right at the end when he sees a photo does he realize that he's been hanging out with the guy they've been looking for the whole time. Classic Macross. Ups and Downs and it would've been awesome. But I guess if it happened we'd be sitting here now asking ourselves what effect Spirita had on the Vajra if any. So I guess there's no point in maybe's.

This is true... so why not use him?

I think that was one of my biggest issues with Frontier, there was all this little cross over stuff happening here or there, but I would've liked to see some of the old characters in the new snazzy razmataz style of Frontier. I have always been a sucker for the old school hero trope. You cant tell me that it would not have been awesome to see an aging Hikaru Ichijyo fly circles Frontier's best. They don't need a leading role but a nice guest star from some of the old faces as a nod to the fans would be pretty sweet. I think that my favorite episode of Frontier was when Alto rocks up to the reenactment with using the booster tech. It was corny but it was cool too but not quite the same thing. You can't tell me that an episode where Ozma Lee was starstruck because he heard that Basara was on frontier and so Ranka set out to track him down to get an autograph for her brother would've been out of place. Set it up so that he's been hanging out with Alto in a bay the whole time trying to avoid his fans in classic Basara-style and its not until right at the end when he sees a photo does he realize that he's been hanging out with the guy they've been looking for the whole time. Classic Macross. Ups and Downs and it would've been awesome. But I guess if it happened we'd be sitting here now asking ourselves what effect Spirita had on the Vajra if any. So I guess there's no point in maybe's.

post-939-0-93873300-1317300922_thumb.jpg

Mylene Ninjiin loves you yeah! B))

Well for practical reasons, I think Basara's music is harder to obtain for TV shows. Even Macross 7 itself didn't get to use all of it.

As for Hikaru? Not gonna touch it because this discussion has been done to death.

If I recall, Kawamori had told the staff to reign in the overt references to older shows as to not confuse new viewers. Most of the homages in characters, scenes, and dialog were done in a way so one could enjoy them without knowing the previous context. They were just cool scenes for cool people. Everything that needed to be explained got those handy opening montages in each episode.

And really Frontier just did what 7 already did. Take basic elements and expand upon them in the sequel. From 7 to Frontier we have the same kind of Macross ship (now with tens of Akusho units all glued together) with the same kind of Valkyries and support ships so we have our visual continuity. It allows people to look at Frontier and go "yeah that's a Macross show" while letting it tell its own story without obvious nostalgia grabs.

Of course some people think Frontier still had too many homages. If you talk to those Colony Drop guys they're all like "fartING MOECROSS FRONTIER GROVELING AT THE FEET OF FANS RARGH"

but ya know, some of them also like Gundam Unicorn :v

Well for practical reasons, I think Basara's music is harder to obtain for TV shows. Even Macross 7 itself didn't get to use all of it.

As for Hikaru? Not gonna touch it because this discussion has been done to death.

If I recall, Kawamori had told the staff to reign in the overt references to older shows as to not confuse new viewers. Most of the homages in characters, scenes, and dialog were done in a way so one could enjoy them without knowing the previous context. They were just cool scenes for cool people. Everything that needed to be explained got those handy opening montages in each episode.

And really Frontier just did what 7 already did. Take basic elements and expand upon them in the sequel. From 7 to Frontier we have the same kind of Macross ship (now with tens of Akusho units all glued together) with the same kind of Valkyries and support ships so we have our visual continuity. It allows people to look at Frontier and go "yeah that's a Macross show" while letting it tell its own story without obvious nostalgia grabs.

Of course some people think Frontier still had too many homages. If you talk to those Colony Drop guys they're all like "fartING MOECROSS FRONTIER GROVELING AT THE FEET OF FANS RARGH"

but ya know, some of them also like Gundam Unicorn :v

In my experience (and this is a generalization), Macross fans really liked the homages, but they tended to make Robotech fans angry. Weirdly.

Anyway, I think you make a good point: every Macross sequel is designed to give the old fans something they want (not always succeeding, of course), while bringing new fans up-to-speed as quickly as possible and giving them something that THEY want, as well.

Which is something that Robotech sequels never figured out how to do.

(And I'm sure the Colony Drop guys would argue that Unicorn's references are "organic" while Frontier's are "forced," or some BS like that...)

In my experience (and this is a generalization), Macross fans really liked the homages, but they tended to make Robotech fans angry. Weirdly.

They just be jelly because we get stuff like this and they never do.

post-1819-0-07749100-1317305774_thumb.jpg

And when they sorta do all it reminds them of is how nothing in Robotech looks right together. Too bad, so sad.

Anyway, I think you make a good point: every Macross sequel is designed to give the old fans something they want (not always succeeding, of course), while bringing new fans up-to-speed as quickly as possible and giving them something that THEY want, as well.

(And I'm sure the Colony Drop guys would argue that Unicorn's references are "organic" while Frontier's are "forced," or some BS like that...)

Well some of their issues were the inclusion of modern anime elements I think. We could argue about some of these elements but people lose their collective shizz whenever moe is mentioned or hinted at. I can't really point at any particular homage that seemed out of place. Maybe Legend of Zero was kind of iffy but it made sense from a production stand point. They were already using materials from Zero, the Zero Blu Ray discs were on sale so there was some cross promotion, and overall the episode presented it in a fun way. My few minor complaints is that maybe Ozma could have been seen singing along with some of the Fire Bomber he listens to. Then again, this is Macross where if one character even hums the tune of an older song Victor has to cut a new single.

I think one of the issues with the newer Macross sequels is that to some older fans, it can make Macross as a whole feel less special. It's something that happens to any franchise really. Without a doubt Gundam went through the same thing many years ago, but that was before internet whining was widely available.

Which is something that Robotech sequels never figured out how to do.

Gotta love how in the many years Macross has been making new sequels, they've covered decades of progress in the Macross universe.

In the 25 years it took Shadow Chronicles to be made all they covered was like a day's worth of events with the slim hope of maybe more stories.

They just be jelly because we get stuff like this and they never do.

post-1819-0-07749100-1317305774_thumb.jpg

And when they sorta do all it reminds them of is how nothing in Robotech looks right together. Too bad, so sad.

Tenjin the Great strikes again!!

Is there any Robotech artist whose works look so good...?