HG and Robotech Debates

Not that I don't appreciate every new poster feeling the need to give their life story and also make the claim that most people would never have heard of Macross without Robotech, I feel that your criticism of Macross and its sequels (of which there has been plenty of on this forum) is better suited for the main Macross sub forums.

But please continue to call our arguments mindless. It's not like people here have ever made reasoned arguments about anything.

Really this thread and its nth incarnations is for venting frustration and making fun of Brooklyn Reg Leg.

ps macross 7 is teh awesome

Electricity.

The Haydonites are probably using nuclear reactors to power their ships and mecha. It makes you think why the REF/UEEF would rely solely on protoculture, a power source that requires a macguffin.

Okay...so you'll attack Macross fans, but you won't attack Robotech fans. Duly noted.

I'm not... attacking... anyone?

I didn't join this site to fight over which adaption of the same product is better. I joined to meet people who liked the same thing as me and make new friends. However what I saw was a whole lot of hate, and hate in any form is mindless.

Look at this already, you know nothing about me except that I think that Robotech was a great part of my childhood and I never would've found Macross-7 or Frontier, which I do actually like a lot, and now you're accusing me of attacking. I'm not here to pick sides, I even said that I know what Harmony Gold did sucked, it was really underhanded.

I gave my thoughts and opions on the shows preceding Macross in the hopes that it'd spark a conversation about HOW things were done or YOUR thoughts, not to belate you or other members of the board.

I didn't join Robotech.com because their forum sucks. The search option doesnt seem to work and their opening poster in the first topic TALKS LIKE THIS ALL IN CAPS which doesn't really show for a very well moderated board. However, if you really want me to join and tell them that they're being farttards for hating on Macross, link me up to the thread and I'll do it. If that will really help you see that this was not a personal attack against you or this great franchise.

Edited by I_Fly_For_Firebomber

I didn't join this site to fight over which adaption of the same product is better. I joined to meet people who liked the same thing as me and make new friends. However what I saw was a whole lot of hate, and hate in any form is mindless.

Look at this already, you know nothing about me except that I think that Robotech was a great part of my childhood and I never would've found Macross-7 or Frontier, which I do actually like a lot, and now you're accusing me of attacking. I'm not here to pick sides, I even said that I know what Harmony Gold did sucked, it was really underhanded.

I gave my thoughts and opions on the shows preceding Macross in the hopes that it'd spark a conversation about HOW things were done or YOUR thoughts, not to belate you or other members of the board.

I didn't join Robotech.com because their forum sucks. The search option doesnt seem to work and their opening poster in the first topic TALKS LIKE THIS ALL IN CAPS which doesn't really show for a very well moderated board. However, if you really want me to join and tell them that they're being farttards for hating on Macross, link me up to the thread and I'll do it. If that will really help you see that this was not a personal attack against you or this great franchise.

Considering you started with calling this thread "mindless hate"...

Really everyone knows fanfoys like to complain and whine about stupid things. However, Macross fans are one such group that actually has legitamate complaints. Considering that HG is claiming they own a product they had no part in creating, has threatened people with legal action form selling Macross items over here, and have shown a general disregard and disrespect towards the original creators of Macross. Not to mention the vocal part of the RT fanbase is volitile, ignorant, holier-than-thou types.

You say you like Macross7 and MacrossF, well doesn't it bother you a bit that they will never be released in NA because HG will demand a huge cut of the profits and force the distributers to put their name on a product they had no involvmemnt in?

Yeah, my dislike and loathing of RT is definately not "mindless."

OK, I get it. YOU can make snap judgments about others, but no one can make snap judgments about you. Got it.

There's a new Robotech DVD set coming next month. Go to town with it, because, for the foreseeable future, that's all people will ever get from the franchise. In fact, I honestly think most of us will not live to see whatever continuation or revival Harmony Gold has been promising for years. But they will give people "quality" products to keep them busy every single time. You should have been here when there was controversy about the Shadow Fighter toy being so fragile that it had to be recalled, pissing off their own fandom. Then there was the time when the Mechwarrior revival came to a halt because Harmony Gold didn't like a suspicious looking mech being used in the trailer. That's what the franchise and company has mutated into after all these years, a living shadow of the past benefiting few people and pissing off a whole lot more (not just Macross fans).

I think it's time they stop relying on the fact that they helped bring anime to the West, or whatever positive spin they use to justify their work these days.

Edited by Einherjar

There's a new Robotech DVD set coming next month. Go to town with it, because, for the foreseeable future, that's all people will ever get from the franchise. In fact, I honestly think most of us will not live to see whatever continuation or revival Harmony Gold has been promising for years. But they will give people "quality" products to keep them busy every single time. You should have been here when there was controversy about the Shadow Fighter toy being so fragile that it had to be recalled, pissing off their own fandom. Then there was the time when the Mechwarrior revival came to a halt because Harmony Gold didn't like a suspicious looking mech being used in the trailer. That's what the franchise and company has mutated into after all these years, a living shadow of the past benefiting few people and pissing off a whole lot more (not just Macross fans).

I think it's time they stop relying on the fact that they helped bring anime to the West, or whatever positive spin they use to justify their work these days.

It was ALWAYS a shadow...it's just more obvious now.

See gents...a franchise reboot solves all the problems.

If Protoculture has become such a valuable commodity, why the heck are they using it like water? A reboot would solve that.

"Disciples of Zor" (Who the frak are they anyways? That title just seemed to have been thrown out...)? A reboot would solve that.

How long is the SDF-1? A reboot would solve that and more :D .

A reboot would solve all the problems. New character designs, new mecha designs, more integrated and (possibly) coherent story, all fixed with a reboot. No more "We brought anime to the West and we'll exploit it till we go bankrupt"-crap.

Incidentally, Bendo's taking the coward's way out...he appoints a time in which I'm busy, and says, in effect, "THIS is the time we'll meet!"

Well...I guess we all knew he was just a sad-sack idiot who couldn't face me, huh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Gubaba

Stupid white pointy hat. I know I left it around here somewhere.

Maybe I left it in the Kawamori didn't create Macross thread. dammit where are you?

Yeah, I picked up on that as well. Basically, what I got from our new critic here is "I like Macross, but without Robotech, Macross would be nothing. I also think you all are a bunch of haters, and racists who where white pointy hats, but don't criticize me on it, I wanna be your friend." So, yeah, if that doesn't say troll, I don't know what is. We may not know this guy here, but the few posts he's made is definitely an informative introduction.

Incidentally, Bendo's taking the coward's way out...he appoints a time in which I'm busy, and says, in effect, "THIS is the time we'll meet!"

Well...I guess we all knew he was just a sad-sack idiot who couldn't face me, huh? :rolleyes:

Typical bendo style...to hide behind a facade of pretending to make the call, but protecting himself with an unreasonable times. I'm still wanting the recap of the last podcast, which should be funny.

You just want that 24-hour podcast/incoherent-rant dedicated to you don't you? You attention whore-you.... :lol::wub:

Doug Bendo you COWARD! Come on out and fight like a man, that is if you are!

Yeah, I picked up on that as well. Basically, what I got from our new critic here is "I like Macross, but without Robotech, Macross would be nothing. I also think you all are a bunch of haters, and racists who where white pointy hats, but don't criticize me on it, I wanna be your friend." So, yeah, if that doesn't say troll, I don't know what is. We may not know this guy here, but the few posts he's made is definitely an informative introduction.

That guy needs what Hollywood would call a "reboot!"

And calling us haters is not an insult. Part of fun on this thread is watching the sitcom type entertainment from HG that our hate generates. :lol:

That guy needs what Hollywood would call a "reboot!"

And calling us haters is not an insult. Part of fun on this thread is watching the sitcom type entertainment from HG that our hate generates. :lol:

This thread is sponsored by "Hatorade", restores all the hate and bitterness when your body needs it. LOL I wonder if this will generate another C.O.N.-spiracy?

If Protoculture has become such a valuable commodity, why the heck are they using it like water? A reboot would solve that.

"Disciples of Zor" (Who the frak are they anyways? That title just seemed to have been thrown out...)? A reboot would solve that.

A reboot would solve all the problems. New character designs, new mecha designs, more integrated and (possibly) coherent story, all fixed with a reboot. No more "We brought anime to the West and we'll exploit it till we go bankrupt"-crap.

I would very much support that if HG gave up their stranglehold on the Macross trademark. But since no one would willingly give HG any money to fund such a production, that'll never happen.

This thread is sponsored by "Hatorade", restores all the hate and bitterness when your body needs it. LOL I wonder if this will generate another C.O.N.-spiracy?

Of all the gin-joint threads around here, the ones with problems always come here first. *cleans beer glass*

Robotech could have been rebooted in a continuation, a sequel and reboot at the same time, except that Shadow Chronicles did it completely backwards. It changes things that can't change and keeps things the same that can't be kept the same. They're going to do the same thing with the LAM if it ever gets made. I'm not feeling the optimism about the possibly of a reboot. It would be the third reboot under the same people. Robotech could have been good, but I think they've missed their chance. They'll have to put Robotech away for a decade and then bring it back with a new director if they ever want to make anything respectable out of it.

Robotech could have been good, but I think they've missed their chance. They'll have to put Robotech away for a decade and then bring it back with a new director if they ever want to make anything respectable out of it.

Isn't this the direction it's already going? As long as the current HG Triumvirate are in power, the franchise will never move forward especially with sidequels using decades old designs (though we all still love them) which merely expand the original story. The fact that new product is few and far between due to being stuck on boats (Battlepods), pushed aside for other projects (RPGs), or waiting on help from the fandom (25th Anniversary CD) just proves that Robotech destined for obscurity until there's a regime change.

Delay? Delay over what? And yeah, it sounds like a lie, as they delay just about everything.

The Mechwarrior reboot. Can't believe it's already been two years since the fiasco.

MechWarrior: Under Development?

The kicker is that for all the drama HG started there, they didn't actually do anything significant or have anything significant planned since to justify it.

It's their own damn fault for choosing that era setting for the reboot game anyway, knowing the litigious nature of HG. Battletech has long since moved on from needing those original Unseen designs, unlike certain other franchises, so it's not like that it had to use them.

Edited by hulagu

That tweet was from June....Yeah, this Mechwarrior revival is starting to enter Duke Nukem Forever-vaporware status. Oh wait, it's Piranha Games, the people who actually made DNF and it still was crap.

I'd believe them that the delay isn't related to HG...

Isn't this the direction it's already going? As long as the current HG Triumvirate are in power, the franchise will never move forward especially with sidequels using decades old designs (though we all still love them) which merely expand the original story. ...

So they need to pull a Star Trek and pull the rug under the current franchise runners? That would have to mean HG would have to actually care about RT. :rolleyes:

This thread is sponsored by "Hatorade", restores all the hate and bitterness when your body needs it.

Ah, yes, Hatorade...

Ade.gif

This is a sports drink. Jocks drink things like this when they run out of whatever bodily fluid it is that allows them to be mean, aggressive jerks. Plants also drink this, because it's got what plants crave.

Brought to you by Kingdom of Loathing...;)

So much mindless hate here lol.

I enjoy both shows. :)

The English dubbing and voice acting of Robotech:Macross is more relateable to me than reading subtitles.

Macross 7 is amazing. I don't care what anyone says, I love Macross-7. We're talking I'd have its lovechild-level Love.

Mossapedia(sp?) was good, I really did like it.

Honestly, for all the elitism here you'd think there'd be a little pointy white hat that is handed out when your posts breach 100.

Yeah, I know what Harmony Gold sucked but they did what they thought was best and I'm willing to put money down that most of you saw Robotech first and thats when you fell in love with the series.

I'm also willing to bet that most of you own Robotech products. I hated Shadow Chronicles, feel that the animation style was ugly and the story sucked, so I'm not here from Robotech.com and under my gleaming Captain Marvel shirt there isn't a "I love Tommy Yune" shirt or anything like that but the abrasive slander in this thread is just really ugly for the most part.

Would I love to see Macross 7 and Macross Frontier released in english?

Sure I would, it'd be great to be able to pick things up here or there from the shows I like--but at the same time I do enjoy the hunt for exotic merchandise. Its exciting to find something I have never seen before. Maybe I'm weird but I love it.

Also I hated Alto.

He was a loser.

In fact besides Ranka, Ozma, and Clan Clang I could not stand most of the cast of Frontier and found that most of what happened was just a rehash of the original Macross story with what pop-culture has dictated as "cool" and "modern" anime character. Why was Alto a carbon copy Samurai, because it's "cool" that's why. Because they wanted an anime pretty-boy unfeeling Sepheroth clone at the front of their product because thats good marketing. There was very little HEART in the series, the romances were graceful yet faux, everything was slender and uniform and overly complicated. Now, maybe if I could speak Japenese the story would've seemed more natural to me... but it just really didn't have the substance that I had been hoping it would.

I guess my point here is that the best bits of Frontier were normally those that mirrored the original Macross Series and it was less a space opera and a story and more of an anime (something Macross-7 was guilty off too). And while I'm at it, you know what I figured out is the biggest difference from the original Macross and its processors?

I don't care about the new SDF's or the crew. I don't know what it was exactly that they did differently, maybe it was because we saw so much of the civilians struggling within the SDF-1, but I actually cared when the ship was damaged and the state of the crew. I don't get that with the new series' The SDF-Class ships are still awe-inspiring craft and they've used them to do some very cool things but they're just... big ships.

My point is, if you're going to bash Robotech for 30 odd pages for being unoriginal and rehashing then its only fair Macross takes some on the chin too. I honestly believe that if the writers of Frontier focused more on the characters and the storytellers rather than adhering to the standard anime norm than we would've gotten a much better product.

Also, Hi, I'm the new guy. ;)

*EXCELLENT* first post dude. A lot of people lurk on forums for a while, getting a feel of what's going on and then when they do start posting, they do so with a little bit of caution so they don't piss off the community that they are about to try and enter, but you just WENT FOR IT, got a lot of regulars off side and then wondered why a little bit of hatred was sent straight back at you.

Love your work......

hatorade.gif

Too bad there smart enough to know, RT cant stand on it's own, to survive a reboot. :lol:

It's easier to just make money on re-re-re-re-re-re-releases of dvds, and shoddy overpriced merchandise.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Haha, sorry guys. I honestly didn't intend to spark anything here. It's just a bit of a strain reading this thread beginning to end and walking away with something positive to say. I honestly didn't think it would go this way but its good to see that Hateorade salvaged the conversation and everyone ended up taking everything in good humor.

However while we are "bitching" about Harmony Gold I started watching Captain Harlok for the first time in my desperate attempt to find something space operaish other than Macross (anyone have any suggestions?) and I noticed that it was done by HG yet I can't find a DVD release for it on their website at all. Its cool because I get everything way cheaper from Kora, but wouldn't it be smarter to release more of the stuff youve done then release re-re-re-re-re-re-re-remastered versions of the series we already own?

My only other real complaint is on the new Sentinels DVD release they've added new scenes... but cut others... which just seemed like a chance to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release Sentinels at a later date as a "whole product." Which admittedly is classic HG but I just wish there was a bit more of an effort made.

Also, to answer the question asked of me earlier, does it bother me that HG are blocking anime?

Well, on a very small level it does. I'm not a big anime fan to tell you the truth. I'm very picky when it comes to anime and I feel that quite a lot of new anime is lots of high-quality animation and not much substance or story. I know I'd be more upset that Macross couldn't be released if I couldn't buy it with English subs online. For a long time (before I put in a serious search effort) I only ever saw Mac-7 in Spanish, sighed to myself and wondered "what if" then moved on.

That said it'd be great to be able to watch the shows in English but after the horrible and unrealistic voice acting we see in otherwise amazing shows like History's Strongest Disciple Kinichi and well, the list goes on and I am sure we could each name 5 shows that we didn't like the voices for, I guess I'm just not sure that I'd be very receptive to Alto's baritone manly hero voice or Ranka's Mini Mouse squeak. As things are now (for me, this of course reflects on no way to the business side of things) I am happy buying things Online. Sure it'd be great is Bandai had a reliable english website with its Macross stuff on it or if there was some kind of Uuber Macross Emporium, but I makedo.

When I was a member on Robotech.com (in 2005 or 2006?) and Harmony Gold first came out and talked about the Robotech Movie it was pretty cool. Then after skuffle that happened yesterday when I went on to register I was honestly a little surprised to find out that they have not had a single update since back when I was a member, what was it... like..? Nearly five or six years ago. If my anticipation was a person it would be able to speak and make its own choices by now. Yet, not a word, it was confounding so I went to the News Section and the ONLY thing its updated with is Convention stuff. So I figure I am going to call the company today right so I go to Harmony Gold's official website and browse through looking for the contact number but nadda. In the end I called up a number I could find and in my most professional business tone asked to be transferred to the office of Mr. Yune the I sat there on wait for nearly two hours before he answers and I say...

"Hello, my name is [my name here] and I would like to inquire about investing in the Robotech Franchise."

And he says...

"I'm sorry I don't know anything about that, wrong number, wrong number" then hangs up on me.

So All e-stalker style I go to Youtube and re-re-re-re-listen to the guys voice and I am sure it was him.

Needless to say, I'm not really impressed but it is pretty clear that Macross is still going strong and Robotech isn't and at the end of the day it all comes down to money and numbers and I'm willing to bet Big West is making a hell of a lot more revenue than Harmony Gold is right now and if this movie deal doesn't happen then I highly doubt they will last another 20-25 years. (Again, that's just my opinion.)