VF-1 WIP

Doktor Gonzo

Got taken by the Macross bug, broke out my old model and started tweaking. The attached shows off my new bits -- a radar, ladder, and up-detailed verniers. More to come, perhaps, if the wife and kids let me do more playing with my computer tonight!

post-235-0-05206600-1306370799_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doktor Gonzo

That model looks pretty sweet. Did you base it off of any kits or is it your own design?

It started off based on the Hasegawa 1/72 fighter kit, but I've tweaked everything endlessly since then, so it's really mostly my own design at this point. This model was one of my first, and I've never stopped occasionally working with it -- I guess it's like that first car that some people keep in their garage and endlessly tinker with.

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool Dok B)) ... wish I had time for modeling :(

Yeah, not sure how long my latest bout of obsessive playing will last before real life tears me away ;) Also of interest here: I recovered low-rez versions of my textures off of an old CD. 720x720 is a long way from the 4k images I originally created, but it's still the best I've had since my portable drive was stolen last year, and a BIG improvement on only being able to do clay renders!

Amazing! :D Given that your project takes a big deal of effort to make and tweak, it's always good judgment to backup that stuff periodically to CD or DVD rewritables.

Totally agree. I told everybody this sob story before, but basically the portable drive WAS my backup. In spring 2010, a big electrical transformer blew in my neighborhood... totally fried my PC, and caused an HD failure of some sort (the model I recovered was one of the things I was able to reobtain through disc recovery on the sick drive.) Power was out for several days, so we were camping out at my parents' house and I was toting the portable drive (which ordinarily I kept locked up at home) back and forth to work, since I lacked my usual workstation/network connectivity. And, of course, one day I fell asleep on the commuter railroad and it got stolen from me. Totally my fault, but a ridiculous chain of coincidence nonetheless.

Meanwhile, as I continue digging through old archive CDs, I just found my Max/Millia textures. Interesting thing is that they're still at the original rez of the lost source PSDs, rather than the 1/4 size cutdowns I have for the Roy scheme...

Thanks for the ref pics ... I forgot about that old lineart. I am still uncovering years old line drawings I've had stashed.

The modeling is coming back way quicker than I thought and somehow I am more efficient now? Not sure what happened there ...

Thanks for posting your updates .... it got me kickstarted to get back in the game :)

Sure! Here's detail on the leg innards (copied from the Hase 1/48 kit):

I want mine to look like that too!!! The detail is astounding. Can't wait to see what it looks like once you texture it. I'm thinking you should and likely will embellish that with more detail?

• 1 month later...

Haha... is that the spillway near the 405-101 intersection in Encino, CA? I used to drive by that thing all of the time when I lived in the LA area.

It's the Sepulveda Dam in LA. I honestly know nothing about the place, beyond that it's been used as a filming location for stuff like TERMINATOR 2, GREASE and BUCKAROO BANZAI...

Yeah, that's the same one. You can see it on the west side of the 405 as you're approaching the 101 from the north. I didn't see it in T2. I did see where they did scenes in the drainage channels in Northridge. In one scene, you can even see a street sign in the background with the name "Plummer" on it. I lived right off of that street in Northridge.

Yeah, that's the same one. You can see it on the west side of the 405 as you're approaching the 101 from the north. I didn't see it in T2. I did see where they did scenes in the drainage channels in Northridge. In one scene, you can even see a street sign in the background with the name "Plummer" on it. I lived right off of that street in Northridge.

Hahahah, that's awesome. I think it was just used for some of the nighttime "future war" stuff in T2. The use in Buckaroo Banzai is a lot more prominent: