Chance of a Phalanx AND a Spartan

ff95gj

Is it really less risky to release a kit than a toy?

I don't know how many of the Yamato Macross fans are willing to pay a hefy sum for a kit, much less the skill to handle one.

If they release a toy, I will get at least two original color and one special color.

If they're not hitting the numbers they want to make the molds worth it then they usually just shelf the project. Making kit version of the toy or toy in the same line is a pretty rare event. We're pretty lucky to have that choice (tentatively). I mean I'm sure not everyone will be happy about the price compared to the plastic version.

If Yamato really wants to sweeten the Phalanx pot they not only keep the 2 ground crew included theme, they include a little kit of a missile loader truck to get those nasty missiles into the arms.

Speaking of ground crew, EXO's new avatar might make a great 1/60 driver for that missile loader truck...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I just wanted to give this thread alive again and hope for the best in 2013.

I agree as well.

Yamoto needs to try to keep it's head above the water, else Bandai will capture the Macross market. Then we will be in for 300+ dollar releases all the time...everytime. I love my Macross, and on a good toy I am willing to spend but even " I " need a bit of a break. Yamoto quaility may have not allways been top notch but the price was not a down payment either.

• 1 year later...

I won't argue about a VF-19 versus a Destroid (though I certain would choose the latter without blinking eyes). But isn't it a risky investment to produce the Sound Booster?

My thinking was that if the Sound Booster is an acceptable risk, the Destroids are more doable. I believe. :ohmy:

If producing a particular model was risky then wouldnt it make sense for Yamato to use Kickstarter? That way everything is preordered and pre paid and Yamato know where they stand.

If producing a particular model was risky then wouldnt it make sense for Yamato to use Kickstarter? That way everything is preordered and pre paid and Yamato know where they stand.

Kickstarter doesn't have the presence or impact in Japan that it does elsewhere. There can often be licensing issues/restrictions that sometimes prevent it from being used as well.

If Arcadia would make a proper 1/60 Spartan and Phalanx (and weathered versions if possible) - I would fly to Japan and hand them my money.

Unlikely though.

Instead we can gun pods for $1,000.

For $1,000 we could have had a limited release Spartan, Alaska 1A and VC-33 diorama - with opening doors and the plane could be lowered out of sight & raised back up again. Something cool and creative like that . . .

Alaska01_zpse9d2e386.jpg

Arcadia can easily do that now via their website.....they can do that with any VF (VF-2SS), Destroid (Spartan and/or Phalanx), enemy mech (Regult), etc that they believe is "risky as a general release".....they can simply put out a list/poll, ask for people to vote with their wallets (full payment upfront) and if they receive enough interest/cash...they can produce it...if there is not enough interest for a particular toy, you simply get your money back and never ask again or hope for any model that does not gain enough support to ever be produced..... ;)

Edited by jvmacross

Guest davidwhangchoi

I think the 5 gun pods if sold = 5000- 7000usd

How many phalanx would arcadia need to sell to equal 5000-7000usd

Lets say these are 8900yen 11900yen, i would say about 450-500 units.

I think its easier for arcadia to market to 5 hardcore cosplayers/collectors than 4-5 hundred for a spartan.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I realize they are a niche product . . .

i wanted yamato just to finish out the lineup too.

like if they didn't release kaki dyrl or tv bc of doubtful sales projections. i think it would drive everyone crazy who would want to complete their squadron.

i wanted a 2.2 updated crotch verison max vf-1s and was waiting for it until freaking yamato went down... now i got to settle for waiting for a dyrl tv pinkish white or find an old crotch dyrl max. 2.0

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Dunno about them dropping the ball though. It's more like the fans dropped the ball by not buying. I'm definitely part of that ball dropping :(

Nah....they should have released all 4 different destroids at once.....and not 2 and then 2 "olive" editions.....followed by 2 weathered regular and then 2 weathered olive.....dumb move......and dumber of Yamato to then think the fans do not want destroids.....the fans want canon first and to be able to complete canon sets first.....then they can get creative....but within reason.....like these instead:

destroid-phalanx-blue.jpg

destroid_tomahawks_ep29.png

Dunno about them dropping the ball though. It's more like the fans dropped the ball by not buying. I'm definitely part of that ball dropping :(

This is exactly what happened.

Talk is cheap and all those who promised to support the Destroids abandoned them and waited for deep discounts.

Remember that all those Takatoku and Matchbox Destroids were also poor sellers and clogged bargain bins for years too.

If people really wanted them then they should have put their money where their mouth is. I'm one of the ones who waited and got my Tomahawk (a great toy by the way) at the steep discount. This unfortunately sends a message to Yamato that they shouldn't waste their time and money. It's sad but that's the way it is. They shouldn't make something and lose money on it when we aren't willing to buy...THAT would be a dumb move.

Edit: I really want one of those cool Macross Zero Destroids though :(

Edited by xrentonx

I don't think you can equate people not "wanting" something because they do not buy the available alternative...in the case of the destroid line..non-canon schemes...I think the destroid line would have sold much better if fans were given the opportunity to purchase all four destroids upon initial release (minus the monster for obvious reasons), instead of being left to make a decision to buy without knowing whether or not they would be left with an incomplete line (again, I think the monster would be understandable and could not be expected to be made at least not as a general release).....guess we'll never know....

Yamato offered non-canon schemes before that also sold poorly....why would they think non-canon schemes for the destroid line would have sold better? Not a dumb move?

Going forward, I hope Arcadia will make things based on what their customers really want, instead of making assumptions.....

I'll give them a pass on the 30th Anniversario for now.... :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

You're assuming Yamato had the resources to design and tool up all four Destroids and that buyers would plunk down $400 to get all four of them at once.

I don't blame them for trying to stretch out the two Destroids they did make since at least those had a small modicum of success (however brief) and hey people here are always "wanting" more color scheme to customize right?

If memory serves, didn't the destroids come out during the peak of the 1/60 Yamato launch period?

I mean that's got to put a dent in sales, people were focusing on VALKS and at that time I seem to remember thinking - damn there is so much macross available at the moment, so you cut your least favourite items for the shopping list.

I preordered the two standard releases but passed on the khaki versions - and skipped the weathered editions as well.

I can't be certain, but I do have a decent disposal income and if I was thinking about cutting back purchases I'm sure many others were as well.

I hope we get to see the last two destroids some day.....

We are discussing events that did not happen....so, of course, everything concerning "why we do not have a Spartan or Phalanx" will be based on assumptions....

Here's another assumption.....anyone who purchased BOTH the tomahawk and defender would probably have purchase a phalanx and spartan (either at launch or at some point).....

Those who actually bought (canon) tomahawks and defenders seemingly did not buy the non-canon versions.......I do not think that is an assumption based on how the non-canon versions languished at retail......

Sadly, all this negatively affected Yamato's perception on the success of a spartan and phalanx.....I hope they will eventually come to reality, but if not....there will always be something else to spend your money on.... :rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

Was the green Tommy canon? I got that one real cheap and it seemed to languish forever.

Edit: it was also the only one I wanted.

Edited by xrentonx