Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Thanks everyone for liking the photos.

One little thing I want to ask Graham

I have strugled a bit with the hip joint the first time I transform it into B mode and now the two sides can be pull quite far apart and can swing pretty loosely back and forth when they are. Did I break something?

They are still pretty tight only swing a bit when pushed in. It is normal that the joint was allow to swing a little bit when lowered to the position for the B-mode and pushed in?

Thanks everyone for liking the photos.

One little thing I want to ask Graham

I have strugled a bit with the hip joint the first time I transform it into B mode and now the two sides can be pull quite far apart and can swing pretty loosely back and forth when they are. Did I break something?

They are still pretty tight only swing a bit when pushed in. It is normal that the joint was allow to swing a little bit when lowered to the position for the B-mode and pushed in?

Yes, that is normal. The hip joint pulls out on both sides so you can swing it from fighter (upper) to battroid (lower) position. When you push both sides of the hip joint back in, in battroid mode, there will still be some movement, but not much.

Graham

Yes, that is normal. The hip joint pulls out on both sides so you can swing it from fighter (upper) to battroid (lower) position. When you push both sides of the hip joint back in, in battroid mode, there will still be some movement, but not much.

Graham

Thanks!

This thing really looks better in live then in photos!

Now begins the long wait for VF-17D and Milia's VF-17S :D

Edited by alchemo

Graham

To be honest I think that's a bad design. It's way too easy to pop those hip joints back out when you're posing it in Battroid. Even the little give when they're popped in makes it feel like it's not quite as stable as it could be too.

To be honest I think that's a bad design.

If it provides the thighlegs a bit more lateral movement/rotation, it might be a plus actually.

...considering the hip rotations of the 1/60 VF1 are too limited, imo.

Edited by knoted

If it provides the thighlegs a bit more lateral movement/rotation, it might be a plus actually.

...considering the hip rotations of the 1/60 VF1 are too limited, imo.

If you pop them out you do get more lateral movement. With them set in you get pretty much none. So often times for wider stances they will be popped out. However, it comes at the cost of being less stable. It's not going to cause the toy to fall over but it's a real pain when you're trying to adjust the leg and instead the hip just shifts forward and back a little. Actually, that was the exact same problem you could have with the VF1 prior to fixing the crotch lock.

Oh, one other issue. Not like it's a hard one to fix but something that seems pretty easy to get right. The two gun barrels that are mounted next to the Cockpit in F/G and in the chest in Battroid just flat out fell off. They just barely hold on. Dabbing a bit of glue fixes this easy but... it's kind of an easy thing to get right and there's no reason why a $300 toy wouldn't have them attached tight to begin with.

Ok let's be honest here.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to justify spending any amount of money on an import diecast and plastic toy of a character from a 1994 anime all about advertising J-pop.

nothing~

Who are you referring to exactly?

Ok let's be honest here.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to justify spending any amount of money on an import diecast and plastic toy of a character from a 1994 anime all about advertising J-pop.

nothing~

This guy needs some serious BOMMMBBBAAA!!!! :p

here ya go buddy....listen to his SONG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJbONBSy5A

Edited by derex3592

skull_leader001 asked for the Mighty Block #1, the ones you bought are the #2. One of their colour versions is still available at Yamato’s site: http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1322 I haven't that one but I can offer you this one: RIMG4994.JPG Source: The really nice gamu-toys' review: http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/vf17sd/vf17sd01.html http://gamu-toys.info/goukin/yamato/vf17sd/vf17sd02.html

Holy cow it's bigger than the VF-19 in battriod mode, was there some scaleing issue? I thought that 17 was a tad smaller than the VF-19. Anyway as predicted HLJ finally got around to shipping my package off Today, it says it will be in by the estimated date Jan 12 next week, which is a Thursday. And it's the day I have to go my second job :(:angry:

IMO if the legs and can be a bit shorter, the wings, the back and the shoulders a bit smaller, then B mode would look even more accurate, and will not do much harm to the other two mode. As in fighter mode the wings are a little longer then what depict in line arts.

However if that is possible in terms of incorporating the transforamation mechanism I don't know :p

I admit I am spoiled by what they hae done with VF-19 :D

The legs can’t be any shorter because they are nearly as long as the whole valk in fighter mode. The wings are exactly as long as in the line art. See the picture below:

post-12283-0-99424700-1325825857_thumb.jpg

The VF-19 has spoiled us all, but I guess sometimes reality can’t beat anime magic ^_^

Darn...I got a little impatient.

There wasn't enough room and the back of the shoulder rubbed into the arm cannon.

Anyone know what shade of gray this is for Testors?

post-31-0-51064100-1325827523_thumb.jpg

The legs can’t be any shorter because they are nearly as long as the whole valk in fighter mode. The wings are exactly as long as in the line art. See the picture below:

I don't have mine yet but don't the legs already feature a mechanism in th knee for extending in fighter and retracting for battroid? If there's already one way the legs shrink going from one mode to the next, there's almost certianly a way to design them shrinking more... the question is, as always, what would need to be compromised to accomplish this. Maybe they could have tried some crazy contraption like CM's' approach to the Legioss leg... but in reverse.

I don't have mine yet but don't the legs already feature a mechanism in th knee for extending in fighter and retracting for battroid? If there's already one way the legs shrink going from one mode to the next, there's almost certianly a way to design them shrinking more... the question is, as always, what would need to be compromised to accomplish this. Maybe they could have tried some crazy contraption like CM's' approach to the Legioss leg... but in reverse.

You’re right, the legs do extend a little bit in fighter mode but that’s only a few millimetres. If they extended more than that they wouldn’t be able to bend at the knee at all when retracted for battroid mode, not to mention the gun pod storage gimmick wouldn’t have been possible either. As you say it’s all about compromising. The VF-17 is a flying tank and I actually don’t think the massive and menacing battroid mode is bad at all.

If you want the VF-19 to be roughly as tall as the VF-17 you can just leave the hips on the VF-19 unretracted or extend the locomotive knee joints a bit. Those parts are just there for aesthetics anyways.

You mean like this?

post-12283-0-03048400-1325861296_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look bad at all IMO.

Yeah exactly. Although you don't need to extend the ankles on both quite that much. I keep the feet pretty deep into the ankles on mine most of the time.

Yeah, me too, it’s just that it was kind of necessary due to the wide A stance (at least for the Kai).

Edited by Reïvaj

There wasn't enough room and the back of the shoulder rubbed into the arm cannon.

It's very close to Model Master Neutral Grey from the looks of it...

I don't understand how that happened? They slide back into the arm. Any transformation you do requires you slide them back into the arm.

You’re right, the legs do extend a little bit in fighter mode but that’s only a few millimetres. If they extended more than that they wouldn’t be able to bend at the knee at all when retracted for battroid mode, not to mention the gun pod storage gimmick wouldn’t have been possible either. As you say it’s all about compromising. The VF-17 is a flying tank and I actually don’t think the massive and menacing battroid mode is bad at all.

You mean like this?

post-12283-0-03048400-1325861296_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look bad at all IMO.

This way it will be about the same height as the YF-19 also.

Holy cow it's bigger than the VF-19 in battriod mode, was there some scaleing issue? I thought that 17 was a tad smaller than the VF-19. Anyway as predicted HLJ finally got around to shipping my package off Today, it says it will be in by the estimated date Jan 12 next week, which is a Thursday. And it's the day I have to go my second job :(:angry:

Wow just beautiful Too bad I cant afford it. 300 bucks is a bit steep.

It's amazing of just how tall the VF-17 is in battroid mode, but also high compact a fighter as well.

I've always had a strange question about why the VF series started as a large battroid version (VF-0), to a small (VF-1), then to larger scattered sizing of the continued development of all VFs.

Would anyone out there know why this is? It just makes no sense at all. Well at least to me, it doesn't.