Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

I think it's the VF-19P. VF-17D had a lot of screentime, might be in demand as much as, if not moreso, than the VF-17S. VF-4 would be an all new mold and a limited production run as a web exclusive kit imho, wouldn't justify the costs of tooling.

I think the web exclusive is the VF-19P. Only shows up in Dynamite 7, Yamato already used most of the mold for the Fire and Blazer Valkyrie, and Basara is far more remembered for his Fire Valkyrie than his VF-19P. Thus, not as much appeal as the Fire Valkyrie, and some fans may pass since they may already have his Fire Valky and prefer it.

VF-4 would be better for mass release as it's from Flashback 2012, flown by the main protagonist of Macross, and next year is Macross 30th. Best year to release a VF-4 and it is something that's been in demand for quite some time.

BTW Graham is the Nightmare as sturdy as the Fire Valk?

Your reasoning is sound, but since we already knew about the 19P would its announcement really "excite a great many fans"?

Further comments.

Have emailed Yamato to ask when it's OK to put up photos, as they don't like me puting up photos before the official release date.

Transformed this thing a few times now.

As Renato and Save noted, it does feel very heavy and solid in the hand., The weight is especially noticeable in fighter mode.

However, engineering-wise, it does feel half a step backwards in some respects, compared to the VF-19.

The good news is the ankles joints, while still ball joints seem to be an improved design over the VF-19 and feel more stable and solid compared to the 19's ankle joints.

Mine has a lose left elbow joint (doible-jointed joint) though and also a loose right shoulder armour connection, so that the shoulder armour often sags down a few degrees.

I'm also not 100% happy about the hip joint design as well, as the left and right metal hip joint pegs, which slide inwards into the body to lock in place, rely on a friction fit only, which may give issues later down the road.

And as mentioned, transforming the hips past the LERX to go from batroid mode back to fighter mode, without chewing up the tips or edge of the LERX can be an exercise in patience.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic looking and extremely posable toy.

While the VF-17 has long been my favourite VF, I think design-wise as 'fun toy', I actually prefer the VF-19Kai/S.

Not saying the VF-17S is a bad toy, but it does have some quirks that need to be learned and accepted.

Gets a 7 out of 10 from me so far.

Graham

we already know the vf-19P is in the works. They've shown protoypes

post-19-0-24161000-1324847248_thumb.jpg

Technically, it's not actually "in the works".... the license is not secured yet. That was just a teaser, perhaps to gauge popularity.

If it doesn't come out I shall be heartbroken, though. :p

Technically, it's not actually "in the works".... the license is not secured yet. That was just a teaser, perhaps to gauge popularity.

If it doesn't come out I shall be heartbroken, though. :p

You mean the VF-19P license or the Mac Dynamite 7 license because they have that as evidence of the VF-22 Gamlin

I'm also not 100% happy about the hip joint design as well, as the left and right metal hip joint pegs, which slide inwards into the body to lock in place, rely on a friction fit only, which may give issues later down the road.

That sounds kinda like the YF-19's method, which I always thought was one of the major flaws of the toy due to how it affected both posing and how well you could "lock" that area together in fighter mode.

GA Graphic's series of spotlights leading up to the official release continues.

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/018893/

Mixed feelings about the VF-17S. Fighter is absolutely awesome. 17D has always been my favorite.

I am thinking VF-19P is probably going to be a kit only web exclusive. It's probably considered too niche to be a really widespread popular seller, they mostly reuse existing tooling and molds except for a few specialty parts and they avoid any question over whether to release the pollen/blood version or the much briefer white version. It would be a major waste of new tooling and the VF-17 is too waste for that, too, though I suppose it could be something like a Milia VF-17D

Nice site, though. I am stoked to see that Art Storm Gatchaman G5. Was always kicking myself for not getting the old Unifive set with the fiery shroud (even with the complaints about the nose falling off, etc) when it wasn't insanely overpriced on evilbay and the like and this will make those regrets go away since it looks nice and affordable and dark blue/purple.

Edited by Uxi

I'm tempted to cancel that pre-order after hearing Graham's review. Only a 7/10 for a toy that costs more than the awesome VF-19!!??

I might just go with it in blind faith of Yamato though....

I consider a 7 / 10 a worthy buy. Maybe because I don't see any valk as being perfect. Even the SDF-1 I wouldn't give a 10 / 10. It would get a 9 / 10. 7 / 10 is good but I do see what you mean. Maybe get this one on sale instead.

Edited by pud333

figured out how to solve the lose left shoulder armour problem, I wasn't pushing it up high enough in batroid mode.

Geting faster at transforming from fighter to Gerwalk mode, but going back to fighter mode is still a struggle, due to the time and care you need to take geting the hips past the arpit LERX.

Graham

Ok, Graham... if it IS the 19P... ask them to include both sets of wings, and both nose version pieces, so we can decide what wings to use, and whether we want canards. Maybe even multiple head designs. Head would be more difficult, but the wings are just a simple slab of plastic to install, and I want a spare set of short ones. :)

If it's going to be a customizable one, I'd like them to make it able to be fully customized from the start, not restricted to a single version.

Ok, Graham... if it IS the 19P... ask them to include both sets of wings, and both nose version pieces, so we can decide what wings to use, and whether we want canards. Maybe even multiple head designs. Head would be more difficult, but the wings are just a simple slab of plastic to install, and I want a spare set of short ones. :)

If it's going to be a customizable one, I'd like them to make it able to be fully customized from the start, not restricted to a single version.

The problem with the wings is the wing gloves are also different, aren't they?

The problem with the wings is the wing gloves are also different, aren't they?

I don't believe so, but I don't have my Fire Valk and Blazer to compare right now. I think the wing gloves are the same, just with different wings attached.

The big differences would be the shoulders really, since those are entirely different between the Fire Valk and regular VF-19s. Also, the P has ventral fins like the YF-19, which would probably be attached to the different leg side panels that one has, with missile ports visible.

If they make the P a web exclusive, I won't be too terribly bothered I think, since HLJ usually winds up with some of those for us. But on the odd case that they do make a VF-19 kit version, I want all the wing/canard options included at the very least, and it would be great if they included all the head designs and shoulder options, as well as the ventral finned leg version.

I really don't see a kit version happening though. The VF-19 is an absolute mess of tiny mechanisms. I can't even imagine what would be required to assemble one myself.

I don't believe so, but I don't have my Fire Valk and Blazer to compare right now. I think the wing gloves are the same, just with different wings attached.

The big differences would be the shoulders really, since those are entirely different between the Fire Valk and regular VF-19s. Also, the P has ventral fins like the YF-19, which would probably be attached to the different leg side panels that one has, with missile ports visible.

If they make the P a web exclusive, I won't be too terribly bothered I think, since HLJ usually winds up with some of those for us. But on the odd case that they do make a VF-19 kit version, I want all the wing/canard options included at the very least, and it would be great if they included all the head designs and shoulder options, as well as the ventral finned leg version.

I really don't see a kit version happening though. The VF-19 is an absolute mess of tiny mechanisms. I can't even imagine what would be required to assemble one myself.

I'm afraid they're different. See this pic from http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4769:

post-12283-0-27415000-1324907571_thumb.jpg

The shields are also different, too many pieces are different. If a kit version ever happens I don't think it'll be like you suggest...

More interviews:

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mgangu/018893/

INTERVIEW: VF-developers ask 17S (4): difficulties of coordination and future development

01s.jpg

From Yamato, which will be released in late 12 "VF complete transformation diamond-17S specification Force" about once in this series also will end talks with representatives of Yamato over Mister K (previous interview here. .) Today is as important as the design and "adjust" to talk about it.

To develop a complete transformation ─ ─ Valkyrie's new is how long will it take?

Mista over K: It depends on the thing, just five months - about six months to design, and just tweak a few more months to improve the completeness of a product and then letting out the test shots. Valkyrie is a must for you met from both the appearance and transformation, will also be supervised sandwiched in between.

But it was to talk directly with factories in China last Sun 出向Ka ─ ─, What am I actually doing the work like?

Mista over K: interactions with the factory, since I speak in Chinese, and sketch things before Zesucha and "I'll empty a gap here Think you can do I do? (translation)" with feeling (laughs), tells the correction request.

02s.jpg

The pain is continuous ■ "coordination." One end is the official site of Yamato "development blog" because it is published, go see people! (Access here ) photo of the wing up. Focus on the handling of the wing blade and the slit mold

China ─ ─ How long is, Will you stay?

Mister K over: while doing another meeting, "there's meant to say in these things you are?(Translation) "who may bring a hand-corrected part say. And about a week, issued a directive on what modifications made ​​to the first mold is a kanji that I return to check it.

How fast do you interact directly to local Yappari ─ ─?

Mista over K: It is far faster. Some people are far from Yappari to contact me answer that with enthusiasm, and fewer misunderstandings.

03s.jpg

04s.jpg

Forelegs ■ (picture above) and the main landing gear (pictured below). Aircraft painted white to black shine inside leg storage. Also reproduced on the ball as well, such as internal mold

In the end ─ ─, Yamato's completely transformed for the series, please tell us about future prospects, etc.

Mista over K: personally, but I'd like to do many other aircraft, VF and most popular in terms of the company's management go-to miss the value of 1 items.

1 / 48 series now again improved technology ─ ─, Toka ...?

Mista over K: But I'd like to do someday. You may want to try a drink from. But the next VF-17 is not going straight ... but not yet officially, over a cup of next year, with "Valkyrie" has a plan to develop. Enjoy!

The forward ─ ─. Thank you for this!

◆ ◆ ◆

VF also was a new challenge for Yamato-17S, but finally released in late December!

my bet is yamato has the license to do vf-25. Everyone who just bought v2 vf-25 from bandai will be pissed because they have to fork out money a third time.

man that'd be funny. lol

wouldn't mind v3 yf-19 though. Come on of all the popular mechs that need redoing this is the one.

Tiny gunpod. lack of locking chest. gullet. this is the most popular mech in mac plus and has recognition in both western macross fanbase and in japan. Lots of money to be made doing this again imo

Then maybe they can redo yf-21 but give it more beefy calves like in the battroid mode lineart. I love fighter mode of this toy but its got tiny feet and skinny legs in bot mode. The theme of the recent yamato toys seems to be to make more chunky looking robot modes and let them be more posable.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker