Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

I just can't get over how chubby and stubby she looks in that fighter side profile shot.

Is the fighter mode supposed to look like that? :unsure:

No idea but she certainly needs to go on a diet. :wacko:

Wow, I was so excited, and now I am not excited at all. Looks like a model (in terms of quality, IE "cheap"), proportions look not good. Battroid is too gangly, fighter isn't much sleeker then the bandai 1/65. And holy crap, more expensive then my SDF 1???????? Good time to get out of macross toys I guess...until the new YF-19 comes out!!!!!!

We had this discussion earlier in the thread. Didn't we cite multiple instances in Macross 7 where the legs go all the way forward?

Other than that I think it looks pretty decent. I'm wondering if this is just a resin proto though. I'm guessing yes, due to the lack of tampo and the less than perfect fit and finish.

Edited by Raptor One

Crap. Legs don't go all the way forward in g-mode.

And just because it's not shown in that single Gerwalk mode photo, doesn't mean the lower legs can't bend forward. Ahem........pull lower leg down to extend knee joint & bend forward, as required

I just can't get over how chubby and stubby she looks in that fighter side profile shot.

That's about as slim as you can keep fighter mode and still keep a decent n chunky-ish looking battroid mode. It's still miles slimmer than the Bandai 1/65 DX.

Graham

Something bugging more about Battroid than Fighter (or Gerwalk, who's legs are usually back lack that in the anime). Might be the collar, but something about the shoulders doesn't look right.

Not that fond of the head, either, but that's more of a design thing. Those hands look awesome, though. Think I'm going to be waiting for a VF-17D, for sure.

ah, who am I kidding. I'll probably end up with all of Diamond Force.

Wow, I was so excited, and now I am not excited at all. Looks like a model (in terms of quality, IE "cheap"), proportions look not good.

Sigh..........do we have to go through this with each, new release. Photos are of a painted resin sculp, so of course fit & finish does not look great and why blocks are needed for support.

Graham

The VF-19S looks incredible. One thing I'd like Yamato to do is articulate the individual cannons in ball joints on the main swivel mount. Canon or not, the head lasers on both VF-19S and VF-17S proto look a bit too cheap.

The fighter mode is a bit stubbier than the lineart, but honestly not that much. It's mostly due to the legs. Speaking of the legs, one thing that bugs me is that they seem to angle downwards a bit in fighter mode. I hope that's not the case in the final product. Also hope they use a darker grey.

schematic-vf17d.gif

Lineart from Macross Mecha Manual

Edited by Raptor One

Sigh..........do we have to go through this with each, new release. Photos are of a painted resin sculp, so of course fit & finish does not look great and why blocks are needed for support.

Graham

:lol: I guess you will.

The fact of just being a painted prototype explains the wrong colours, the paint scratches and a certain degree of floppiness…

Edited by Reïvaj

Looks ok to me. But to be honest I am more looking forward to the vf-19s.

I have the bandai chunky munky and this looks like it is something between that and lineart which has always gone for skinny look in fighter mode and then fat look for battroid mode. Yamato are going through a "balanced for all modes" phase it seems.

I wonder if bandai gets around to vf-171 sometime in the future?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I would really love to pre-order it, but with this price and how strong the Yen is.... the VF-17, together with the Blazer VF-19 Valkyrie, and possibly any further releases of new Macross Valkyries by Yamato, is really priced beyond what i can afford nowadays.... and I had been looking forward to these guys. :( ...

That's about as slim as you can keep fighter mode and still keep a decent n chunky-ish looking battroid mode. It's still miles slimmer than the Bandai 1/65 DX.

Graham

The fighter mode is a bit stubbier than the lineart, but honestly not that much. It's mostly due to the legs. Speaking of the legs, one thing that bugs me is that they seem to angle downwards a bit in fighter mode. I hope that's not the case in the final product. Also hope they use a darker grey.

schematic-vf17d.gif

Lineart from Macross Mecha Manual

definately better than this by miles as Graham mentioned:

VF-17D 165 small 35.JPG

I would really love to pre-order it, but with this price and how strong the Yen is.... the VF-17, together with the Blazer VF-19 Valkyrie, and possibly any further releases of new Macross Valkyries by Yamato, is really priced beyond what i can afford nowadays.... and I had been looking forward to these guys. :( ...

Save up and only buy one of each type. That's what I'm going to do.