Yamato 1/60 VF-17 Nightmare Diamond Force

Jet fire or sky fire?

No, with Fire Valkyrie and Fire Bomber!

Graham

Great news :) But I would be more excited with a properly working gunpod gimmick news :D

Still unknown/undecided. The toy is only in the prelimineray CAD stage, there's a lot of work still to do.

Graham

Confirmed VF-17 should be matte finish (the powers that be could still change their mind later), but at the moment the word is matte.

Graham

Fantastic news!! Can't wait to see the CAD or a prototype. :)

Ironic that I still prefer that TF over the VF-29 since it doesn't have excessive wing boosters.

That...thing looks absolutely hideous in real life. I planned to pick it up, but when I saw it at the store immediately changed my mind. Paint spills, cockpit looked so obviously painted on by a 5 year old with a crayon and horrible kibble.

Would qualify as a Happy Meal in my mind. As a comparison I liked Thrust and Tomahawk so I'm not biased against TFs.

You people say you don't like the jets in TF but I think if all the transformers disguised themselves as valkyries and takara tomy got the license to make macross/transformers crossover (similar to the marvel transformers crossover toys) you'd buy them all in in a flash.

Obvious choices:

Jetfire - becomes VF-1

Starscream - SV-51 (I think because he is skinny) Or maybe VF-0D

SoundWave - VF-19 fire valkyrie ..but painted blue (because of the speaker pod and sound boosters, soundwave version can actually record music and has a mic inside the EARS! :D)

Cyclonus - YF-29

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Not sure yet, the preliminery CAD drawings I've been lucky enough to be shown are only partial and don't show the legs yet.

I hope they can achieve a chunky battroid, but keep a skinny fighter, but that may be asking too much of even Yamato's genius designers.

Graham

Not sure yet, the preliminery CAD drawings I've been lucky enough to be shown are only partial and don't show the legs yet.

I hope they can achieve a chunky battroid, but keep a skinny fighter, but that may be asking too much of even Yamato's genius designers.

Graham

I think they can do it. They pulled off a sleek fighter for the Fire Valk and chunky battroid. VF-17 is chunkier in both yet still somewhat sleek in fighter mode. I think it has more mass to work with.

Graham

I think it's highly doable :) The swivel rotation just above the kness may allow a chunky battroid and a sleek figthter at the same time!

ehzy82.jpg

Edited by charger69

Graham

You know despite Yamato's best efforts with the VF-19 to look chunky in battroid (and it DOES look pretty chunky compared to the old YF-19) when you look at the pic in battroid versus the line-art that Jenius posted at anymoon it still looks like a scrawny bastard in toy form. I have no doubt Yamato will reach as far as they can for accuracy but don't count on it being quite the brute we would like it to be.

The lower leg is going to be the key. Keeping it chunky as per the line art, but still allowing a slim profile in fighter mode will be very tricky.

Graham

You know despite Yamato's best efforts with the VF-19 to look chunky in battroid (and it DOES look pretty chunky compared to the old YF-19) when you look at the pic in battroid versus the line-art that Jenius posted at anymoon it still looks like a scrawny bastard in toy form. I have no doubt Yamato will reach as far as they can for accuracy but don't count on it being quite the brute we would like it to be.

Yeah, Kawamori did employ a lot of anime magic with the Macross 7 battroids, making them far chunkier than is feasible to transform into such slim fighter modes.

Graham

I haven't been to this corner of the net in a while but whenever I take a little trip to the wider world of the internets, I always come back to fantastic news. HOORAY VF-17! I've always loved that bird, and will purchase one when they become available. It's been quite some time since I bought a new toy, and Now I've got one n mind. Thanks Graham for bringing us such joyous news!

Look at the YF-21, sleek in fighter mode because the legs were too skinny. Asking for chunky legs combining with a skinny fighter mode would be very difficult otherwise they would have done it for the 21. But then again VF-17 has a different transformation.

Edited by bowman

Nah, the 17's legs are too fat even when swiveled onto its side to match its slim fighter profile. I'm sure Yamato will get it as close as they can anyway, but I'd really like it if they include lower leg covers/pants to beef up its lower profile.

As long as the thing is perfect transformation I am happy.

If fighter mode isn't slim people won't buy it that's what I think is important.

Then battroid mode comes second.

I will only buy a valkyrie if the fighter mode is great.

Then if battroid is good too, it's icing on the cake.

The above is a poem for yamato. :p

I think that rule is thrown out of the window for anything mospeada related. CMs made the legios skinny and everyone hated it because they like robot mode more.

The way I see it if they make it too chunky the feet will look tiny just as the already small hands of the 1/48 vf-1 looked even more tiny once the gbp armor was added. Skinny robot isn't so bad to me but small hands and feet is what gets me. I think the tiny feet of yf-21 hurt it in robot mode. (it's legs weren't as bulky too) It's one of those mecha that if it had non-canon feet which you could swap it would make the robot look more balanced in proportion. There was a kit that could achieve the look of the lineart better than the 1/60 yamato toy.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Confirmed VF-17 should be matte finish (the powers that be could still change their mind later), but at the moment the word is matte.

Graham

Just the news I have been waiting for :D I am most likely going to pre order this asap.

Maybe they can use some folding panels or something

I keep thinking that if you put a hinge where the red line is and make the panel outlined by green compress down there would be room for transformation, although then you'd need to find a way to fit in landing gear and a gun... :unsure:

post-4286-0-25599700-1306297380_thumb.gif

Personally though, I think that being able to do this is way more important than having legs that are both slim in fighter mode and thick battroid mode:

vf-17d-torsocockpit.gif

if it can't do this, it's not a good VF-17 toy. :p

It probably will. I can't wait for this. The same group that handled the Fire Bomber is handling this and they seem to pull out all the stops. So glad Bandai release their hold on Macross 7. Now all they have to do is let go of Frontier so they can release the 171.

I think collapsing shins are cool, but going to create more problems down the road, especially for the retracting ankle joints. They've done PT/Anime accurate parts and it's worked brilliantly. Just hope it doesn't involve further price gouging.

I would prefer if Yamato completed all they want to do with Macross 7 before the new liscense comes up. That way we don't end up with missing peices (I am looking at you Phalanx Destroid and Regult). Money talks and huge Macross Frontier sales would probably cause them to concentrate more efforts on the Frontier line, leaving Macross 7 in the dust.

Mind, you, with a working VF-19 and a VF-17 in the works, we are already mostly there. Probsably too much to hope for the VF-5000 and VA-Invader as well as VF-1 commercial/whaling valks So maybe we are already there?

I am very glad that the VF-17 will be matte, more excited for this then the Blazer.

What was the length of time between CAD and prototype for the VF-19 Kai again? I am curious how long we have until we can start drooling over the VF-17 in real photo's.