Yes, I had no expectations for Avatar, but expected the 4th (produced) SW film to be as awesome as Jesus and Superman shining my shoes. I was disappointed.

And that's the thing: no one really cares or is disappointed that Avatar sucks, and Cameron is way too far gone to realize it. That's why I can't trust a thing he says about T5.

s

Some people seem to sugar-coat their memories. I'd take a preachy Cameron over the combination of Jake Lloyd, Jar-Jar and Midichlorians any time. If it weren't for the Darth Maul fight, TPM's cringe factor would be off the scale.

Anyway, wasn't this the Tirmynator thread?

Hell when hasn't Cameron been preachy?

Terminator was preying on fears of technology taking over at a time when automation was being introduced to manufacturing and putting people out of work.

Aliens was an allegory to the Vietnam war where a more technologically advanced, better armed, and overconfiden force got taken down by an inferior enemy using ambush tactics that they weren't prepared to fight. Also corporate excess and corruption.

Abyss was about nuclear proliferation and enviromental impact.

Terminator 2, again nuclear proliferation with pure sequel fluff.

Titanic was about class warfare.

Avatar... we've already go over this, but basically about colonialization, native's rights, and enviromental destruction.

If you want to see what kind of guy James Cameron has become, check out the documentary on Netflix about his deep sea exploration. Very interesting film. It's called Deep Sea Challange. Worth a watch.

That he filmed and released in 3D. Apparently he still thinks it's 5 years ago.

I'd watch the Phantom Menace before Avatar again. That's with a gun to my head, of course.

I don't think Terminator can get any worse, the time line is frakking stupid and messed up at this point, it makes Project Almanac look like the works of Einstein and Sagan.

That's not bad if it can hold that rank at a 7 than it means that it's a better film than rise or salvation.

Ouch I just went on RT, and while I don't agree with ratings they give movies all the time I did feel a bit shocked this flick is at 14%.

Edited by Hikuro

Yup, that wasn't really James Cameron telling everyone to watch the movie.

Schmoes' Spoiler Review

Every Easter Egg

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 26% - "Mired in its muddled mythology, Terminator: Genisys is a lurching retread that lacks the thematic depth, conceptual intelligence, or visual thrills that launched this once-mighty franchise."
Metacritic Score: 39 out of 100 Edited by areaseven

Hmm how do I insert a spoiler tag?

I'm a terminator fan. I think T3 was "not bad", Salvation was "lame" (nothing much terminator to me), SCC was awesome.

Genisys is decent imo... if they didn't turn the greatest ___________ into the greatest ___________. Hate that part. :mellow:

Edited by Repiv_Onex

Anybody here old enough to remember seeing the first film in the theater? I saw it when I was about eleven and I remember the scene where the Terminator was blown up in the truck and collapses while on fire followed by Reese and Sarah hug thinking it was over and the Terminator was destroyed. During that scene folks in the audience started to get out of their seats and walking into the aisle thinking the film was over and then we see the Terminator endo-skeleton rise from the burning truck debris and then those folk who were about to leave were surprised and ran back to their seats. That was one of the coolest cinema experiences for me.

Anybody here old enough to remember seeing the first film in the theater? I saw it when I was about eleven and I remember the scene where the Terminator was blown up in the truck and collapses while on fire followed by Reese and Sarah hug thinking it was over and the Terminator was destroyed. During that scene folks in the audience started to get out of their seats and walking into the aisle thinking the film was over and then we see the Terminator endo-skeleton rise from the burning truck debris and then those folk who were about to leave were surprised and ran back to their seats. That was one of the coolest cinema experiences for me.

I had heard that the movie was supposed to end there, and it was thus filmed that way...

I had heard that the movie was supposed to end there, and it was thus filmed that way...

Don't believe it. It would break the anti-climax that films like it are supposed to have. Sorta like all the times the Hockey Mask guy comes back one more time before the end credits.

Don't believe it. It would break the anti-climax that films like it are supposed to have. Sorta like all the times the Hockey Mask guy comes back one more time before the end credits.

Looks like we're both right. I just read some words from Cameron about the film and the tanker explosion was the original ending, but he deemed it as too anti-climactic. Also, if you look closely at the scenes shot after the tanker explosion everything looks different: the actors looks, makeup, the entire look of the film...

Looks like we're both right. I just read some words from Cameron about the film and the tanker explosion was the original ending, but he deemed it as too anti-climactic. Also, if you look closely at the scenes shot after the tanker explosion everything looks different: the actors looks, makeup, the entire look of the film...

Well, they were running out of money, and I've seen a documentary where Arnold and Cameron reminiscing that by the end of filming, it was just Arnold (doing his own wardrobe and makeup) and Cameron (doing everything else). If memory serves, they were talking about the scene were the Terminator punches a car window in in broad daylight in suburbia.

So, from that point of view, it does make sense that when they were doing pickup shots, they had next to no money, and they had to make do with next to no funds for the post tanker explosion climax.

My understanding is that Orion wanted the movie shorter and cheaper. It seems they were trying to become a company that only did serious dramatic films at the time, and Terminator didn't fit with their new image.

Cameron told them the movie wasn't finished, and they told him they wouldn't give him another penny, and he'd have to pay for any more shooting himself. I assume they didn't expect Cameron to actually DO it.

By the time they got around to the car break-in scene(the final scene filmed), Cameron actually didn't have the cash to acquire a permit for filming on location. So they shot it fast and then got the hell out of Dodge.

Regarding why Skynet destroys humanity, being a big billion dollar software/hardware corporation, Microsoft's Bill Gates believes in population control.

That means he wants to kill you, kill us, kill the human race.

No surprise why Skynet wants the same thing.

Well, back on topic, going to see this film next weekend and have not read too much into spoilers, so not sure if it will be good. The action and SFX probably won't dissapoint, so.

Regarding why Skynet destroys humanity, being a big billion dollar software/hardware corporation, Microsoft's Bill Gates believes in population control.

That means he wants to kill you, kill us, kill the human race.

No surprise why Skynet wants the same thing.

If that was a joke then it was a horrible horrible joke. If it was serious...

For the past week I've been hearing ads for the movie in a number of Internet radio stations I use. They've been using an endorsement from James Cameron saying it has revitalized the franchise, plus some witty lines from the film that seems out of place for a Terminator movie. I really hope he doesn't regret saying that in the next few weeks.

Edited by Einherjar

I wanted this movie to be good, but am not surprised that it turned to crap just like most of the Terminator Movies.

I grew up watching a version of the Terminator my G-Pa got that had the cut scenes at the end (back in the 80s) that showed how the whole plot was a casual loop, and how skynet planned to bring about its creation even with the death of Sarah and John. The reveal that the final battle took place at Cyberdine, and that those parts of the terminator survived forms the basis for the creation of Skynet. Even if the terminator were successful, it likely would have self destructed at Cyberdine in order to ensure the creation of Skynet.

T2 threw the causal loop out the window with its ending, and no one in the movie ever mentions it. Even the cut scenes didn't help matters, there is no reason to ever create the time machine to ensure John Conner's birth and even if you did, they would have to send a terminator and a brainwashed Kyle Reese back in time to do so, to ensure John grows up the right way. Taken on its own T2 can be a good, fun illogical (lets change the past) sci-fi action movie, but it fails as a sequel to a true Causal loop storyline, and also breaks some of the rules established by T1.

T3, I view as a poor attempt to try and correct the timeline. It shows that somehow the Cyberdine tech survived, and all they managed to do was delay Judgement Day. It could have been done better, with a better John Connor, but it tried to correct the issues left by T2. Even then it leaves massive plot holes, especially in regards to why Kyle tells Sarah certain dates for Judgement Day, that obviously are wrong.

T4. This movie should have saved the franchise. They jump forward, have an awesome cast, and show us the future war. Unfortunately it was saddled with bad plotting and a terrible director that just bogged the whole thing down. The root story should have worked, and some nice twists could have been worked in, but the fact that Skynet knew who Kyle Reese was ruined things. All the new terminators, especially the giant one, just made no sense and screwed with things. If it had just been the story of how John C rose to power as the leader of the resistance, and met Kyle it would have been great. It maybe could have even introduced or foreshadowed the T-800 at the end, or showed early T-600 infiltration attempts, instead of making them those lumbering oversized humanoids. A proper sequel, or two, would have shown the resistance coming full force against the T-800 infiltrators, and getting their butts handed to them before turning the tide and making the final push on Skynet HQ. The last movie could then end with showing Kyle travel back in time to save Sarah, along with any other Terminator(s) that are sent back.

What people tend to forget with the original Terminator, is that by having Sarah/John live, we win the war. Yes, Judgement Day is coming, and that is a dark immediate future, but John will save humanity from Skynet, and the only reason he can is because he defeats Skynet before the movie begins. Sending the Terminator back in time was a last ditch effort by Skynet because it had to know the risks of doing so, and possibly knew it had to do so no matter what. Kyle getting sent back is because the human defeated Skynet and so they send him to ensure that John will be born, live and be there to defeat Skynet.

I just have a bad feeling that this movie will completely frag the timeline and ruin it.

Just like Highlander, there can be only one true Terminator movie.

I'd like for a franchise revival that sticks to the original concept that the terminator can be anyone and SCC was the only series that dived head first into that. Even chromartie changed his appearance.

It did bug me in the novels that all the terminators that Serena built and fleshed would be a 101 and had to make physical changes such as hair dye or facial hair.