Seriously???

Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

“Since she was 9 years old, she has been told everything that was supposed to happen,” says Ellison. “But Sarah fundamentally rejects that destiny. She says, ‘That’s not what I want to do.’ It’s her decision that drives the story in a very different direction.”

-b.

This actually sounds like a more suitable, and IMO, believable character for Clarke to play, rather than to try and copy Hamilton.

With all the time traveling and changes that wouldn't surprise me.

In the original Terminator timeline, Kyle Reese was not the father of John Connor, and there were no records as to who. Sarah Connor even managed to survive past judgement day and it wasn't until her and John were put into the camps and the uprising soon began that she passed away.

During the same time Skynet sent the first T-800 he also sent the T-1000 back to insure that if the T-800 failed the T-1000 being much more advanced could finish John as a child.

When Connor finds out the T-1000 was sent back after he sent Kyle to rescue Sarah from the T-800 he then reprograms another T-800 to go after the T-1000.

However, by sending Kyle back, he created an alternate time line which resulted in Kyle being his father, Sarah knowing the future events, and becoming prepared for Judgement day.

Then with the T-1000 being sent back ANOTHER possible Alternate time line occurs and even though Skynet had lost it's main base of operations still continued to fight and even upgrading the T-800's to T-850 and 900's resulting in the T-X to better control as the T-1000 had an independent acting AI system. There we get the T3 RotM time line where John is killed after the war and his wife Kate sends a reprogramed captured T-850 (or 900, was never made clear) to safe him and her from Judgement Day hours before it happens.

Now we have another altered timeline with Salvation with Skynet using hybrids to do it's dirty work but sadly that story never got to unfold which was a damn shame cause it was interesting and I remember that being explored in a comic back int he 90's where Skynet actually built a city with humans inside and Terminators protecting them.

So.....wonder how this would work....cause in the comics there have been maybe a dozen different time lines which Skynet saw creating a paradox and even at one point Jane Connor rest the timeline. or some BS like that.

Sigh... I just want Cameron to do his 3rd Terminator movie, where it's set in the future, comes full-circle with the 1st 2 films, and invalidates all the other sequels.

If memory serves, the idea of "Old Terminator" was used way back in one of the "Terminator VS" comics.

Sure, why not? They should probably add "Teenage Terminators" while they're at it. :lol:

At what po8nt will Skynet realize that mezsing with tge timeline ain't helpin', and just give up. Also, Conner should send someone back in time with a simple future invention to sell it, make a ton of cash, buy up cybertine, and bury the Skynet project before it can get off the ground.

Will Ferrell as Kyle Reese!! Lol!

But seriously, why do they insist on have Arnold in these movies still, he isn't the same figure he was 30 years ago, it doesn't make sense.

Chris

Will Ferrell as Kyle Reese!! Lol!

But seriously, why do they insist on have Arnold in these movies still, he isn't the same figure he was 30 years ago, it doesn't make sense.

Chris

Anything involving Arnold should be handled the way it was in Salvation: CGI and a young, fit, body double/stand in. Watching him try to perform the part in Rise of the Machines was pathetic...

I must be the only person who really enjoyed Terminator: Salvation. Yes, the end was a bit messy but I really enjoyed the ride until we go there, and the first sequence where the humans infiltrate the machine's base, with Connor only just escaping from that chopper was very cool.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines wasn't a horrible Terminator movie, IMO the ending was one of the best of the series. I just really hated Nike Stahl as John Connor and it ruined the movie for me. Silly enough reason I suppose, but casting the main protagonist is kind of a big deal.

Terminator Salvation from beginning to end felt like one big gigantic missed opportunity. Even the extended edition from the home release, which was much better than the theatrical release couldn't alleviate the issues with the movie. Namely how relatively clean the future looked *and there was way too much Sam Worthington. My expectations were just way too high for the movie, hence my disappointment.

I really do hope this one will be good, but I'm not going to hold my breath simply for not wanting to be let down.

-b.

*edit for grammar

Edited by Kanedas Bike

I thought the Terminator Hybrids or the T RIP was an interesting idea and it got explored a ton more in the books and right now in the comics. For example Dr Kogan is "alive" in the latest Terminator Salvation EU comic. She's the same type as Marcus and had been in touch with Skynet since before Judgement day and had recieved and help by Terminators to advance her research and reawoken after J-Day to her new cyborg body.

In a Salvation novel Barnes and Blair are in a small town that skynet hasn't touched and find out that within the town are a group of scientists and a man who claimed he was actually John Connor who we later find out are all RIP's like Marcus and Kogan who were studying the town and developing advanced technology for Terminator applications. Course after getting shot up like you wouldn't believe eventually died even as Endoskeletons. Their enhanced organs can't take the strain of being exposed or something.

Man....I really wish they'd go over this stuff more, it was facinating to read.

I thought he was good in T3. Wasn't the best Terminator but wasn't a bad film also. Salvation was the awful movie.

I was referring to his looks. He looked terrible, certainly not like a terminator, and "renumbering him" the T 850 or whatever was no excuse. Personally, I enjoyed the movie so much I saw it 9 times in the theaters.

I must be the only person who really enjoyed Terminator: Salvation. Yes, the end was a bit messy but I really enjoyed the ride until we go there, and the first sequence where the humans infiltrate the machine's base, with Connor only just escaping from that chopper was very cool.

I liked Salvation. People have clamored for a post-judgement day story, they gave us one and everyone hated it; who knows...

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the entertainment weekly article here in my car. still scratching my head on a few things like Matt smith being in this movie for starters.

next is this whole Sarah is orphaned and raised by a semi domesticated looking Arnold according to the photo of him wearing a hoodie like leather jacket and carrying a shot gun.

Emilia Clarke looks way to young to be Courtney.

even though this is a soft reboot they're still saying terminator and judgement day still happened and are still cannon.

I DO like the new resistance uniforms and body armor, it's much better than what we got in salvation.

but same time they've made tweaks to the t800 frame I'm not to thrilled with.

yet I'm curious over this man machine terminator. maybe we're getting the i950?

I just read the entertainment weekly article here in my car. still scratching my head on a few things like Matt smith being in this movie for starters.

next is this whole Sarah is orphaned and raised by a semi domesticated looking Arnold according to the photo of him wearing a hoodie like leather jacket and carrying a shot gun.

Emilia Clarke looks way to young to be Courtney.

even though this is a soft reboot they're still saying terminator and judgement day still happened and are still cannon.

I DO like the new resistance uniforms and body armor, it's much better than what we got in salvation.

but same time they've made tweaks to the t800 frame I'm not to thrilled with.

yet I'm curious over this man machine terminator. maybe we're getting the i950?

If the i950 isn't the smoking hot Serena Burns then I'm not interested...

Lonely here with just the two of us, isn't it? :) I also didn't like the end and having two shaven-headed good guys reminded me of the confusion I got in Gundam SEED Destiny trying to work out which blue-haired pretty boy was supposed to be the main character, but I actually enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

Salvation is awful.

I only liked the bits with Reese, but those were ruined with that totally pointless mute girl.

Nothing in that movie made sense or followed any flow.

It's just people throwing ideas at a script until it was finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Sarah Conner, now trained from childhood by the ultimate killing machine to be a bad-ass, still flinches when shooting a gun?

Few things in action movies frustrate me more that actors/actresses who are supposed to be firearms experts and/or soldiers, yet flinch every time they pull the trigger. The moment they are cast, is it so hard for them to take a couple hours or so out of their "busy" schedule a few times a week until filming is done to hit the firing range and train with a firearms expert, so that they don't look like a total noob when firing away?

(Angelina Jolie has been in crappy actions films almost her entire career and continues to do flinch to this day. You'd think she'd be used to it.)

The flinching while firing annoys the heck out of me too. The CG Arnold didn't look terrible, but I could excuse those things. What I can't is the idea of stopping Judgement Day, that was the worst part of T2. T1 was a perfect causal loop story and all the sequels have ruined that. Why couldn't they keep the loop intact? Kyle doesn't need to know that Sara was a badass, JohnC could have lied. People always say that T1 had such a bleak ending, but htey forget the part where Reese tells Sara that they won the war, that time travel was Skynet's last gambit, and without him knowing, that sending Reese back was part of the loop that allowed that to happen. Sara's surviving and getting pregnant is what allows the war to be won.

The flinching while firing annoys the heck out of me too. The CG Arnold didn't look terrible, but I could excuse those things. What I can't is the idea of stopping Judgement Day, that was the worst part of T2. T1 was a perfect causal loop story and all the sequels have ruined that. Why couldn't they keep the loop intact? Kyle doesn't need to know that Sara was a badass, JohnC could have lied. People always say that T1 had such a bleak ending, but htey forget the part where Reese tells Sara that they won the war, that time travel was Skynet's last gambit, and without him knowing, that sending Reese back was part of the loop that allowed that to happen. Sara's surviving and getting pregnant is what allows the war to be won.

Flinching used to bug me as well, but then so did fingers always on the trigger and full-auto shooting from the hip, with unlimited ammo, but it’s Hollywood so I’ve come to expect that they seldom get it right. When they do get it right, it’s pretty awesome. Good example is Tom Cruise in Collateral.

CG Arnie is good, but I guess CG technology still isn’t quite there yet where they can just CGi Arnie altogether and just have him do the voice. Tron was well done, but still looked a bit funny. Facial expressions and talking still need work.

Arnold killing the image of the success of his youth? Yeah, That about sums up this trailer. Looks cheesy in all the wrong ways. Repeating dialog that you love from better Terminator movies, repeating stunts you love from better Terminator movies, repeating effects you love from better Terminator movies, blah, blah, blah. This trailer is selling Terminator based on the iconography of the series rather than blazing it's own path. All the new sequences are just trying to sell "bigger and better" for the sake of bigger and better. There's nothing engaging about any of the performances shown from any of the actors (Emilia Clarke, you deserve so much better than this). I'm struggling to see anything in this trailer that shows any kind of spark, enthusiasm or inspiration. Definitely not feeling this.

What I can't is the idea of stopping Judgement Day, that was the worst part of T2.

They didn't. It was delayed (T3 also incorporates that into its plot). If one thinks a little deeper about it, if Judgment Day was stopped, how could the events of T1 and up to the end of T2 occur? T2 would have ended like one of the better episodes of Star Trek, with someone pressing a big reset button, and the John Conner as-we-know-him ceasing to exist.

Nevertheless, the dialogue over a highway ending of T2 is infinitely better (and open ended) than the actual ending Cameron filmed and cut - that one actually indicated that Judgment Day never occurred, the Machines never came into existence, and portrayed a peaceful future.

It may help if you take Sarah Conner's dialogue as the character's own opinion on events, and not what actual comes to (or has already) transpired. ;)

Edited by sketchley