Yamato 1:3000 SDF-1 Macross - unpainted model kit

CF18

Well, if anyone doesn't want or intend to use the PE parts (they might be too small and bad for your eyes!) ;-) - you've got someone (ME!) more than happy to take it off your hands!

Keep me in mind.

I will keep you on top of my list :lol:

I'll definitely be looking here for some advice when I start building this beast in a few weeks

They also included a decal to act as the background to the city block! It seems they patched together some of the cityscape art from DYRL -- which means they may have even just copied Kyekye's idea!! :lol:

They also included a decal to act as the background to the city block! It seems they patched together some of the cityscape art from DYRL -- which means they may have even just copied Kyekye's idea!! :lol:

Actually I sent them pics of vf1s's 1/2000 custom a while back, before kyekye did his.

Actually I sent them pics of vf1s's 1/2000 custom a while back, before kyekye did his.

You'd think they'd give some credit eh? At the very least, offer up some of these add-on items to early adopters! <_<

mine just arrived and my initial reaction was: damn, what have i gotten myself into?!

couldn't resist though and dry-fitted some sections (i gotta say, the ARMDs are just so sweet). seems to go together well enough, making me a bit more confident that i can do this. now if only i had the patience for sanding and puttying...

if i'm successful, will likely sell my built SDF-1 which has remained unopened all these months. but for now it stays, as insurance.

Started work on this bad boy. A little overwhelming when you first get started but you have to remember that it was designed for 'factory assembly' so it has a certen logic to it. To anyone who is worried about buying this I would say if you have put together a lot of models (successfully) and you can maintain a steady level of organization (which is key because their is SO many parts) then you should be able to pull it off.

Though one thing that really drove me f-n crazy when I started was that there are something like 190 screws in 13 sizes that come mixed in 3 bags. You have to sort your self which is a real pain. I mean come on Yamato really? You couldn't provide them presorted? I know thats how you bought them.

Took me about 45 minutes separate them all out. Even with calipers...which you will need because some of the differences between screws is less then a millimeter.

Edited by 3.14

Even with calipers...which you will need because some of the differences between screws is less then a millimeter.

Damn it... there had to be a catch somewhere I guess

Does the manual say at least how many screws of each size there should be in the bag?

Yamato has posted additional instructions about part sorting and construction tips:

Part1: http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_096/index.html

Part2: http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_097/index.html

Part3: coming soon

Can a model owner post a full scan of the construction manual? It can be very useful for the toy owner who may want to paint the toy or repair the toy.

I'd be up also for buying a PE sheet that someone doesn't plan on using.

I hope those glow in the dark decals will be offered up at places like HLJ.

I don't understand why they don't offer up all the extras like the sticker sheets and PE parts in a bundle. They're already making them, how hard could it possibly be to make extras and sell them to the people that bought their product early and at nearly double the price only just a relatively short time ago?

Damn it... there had to be a catch somewhere I guess

Does the manual say at least how many screws of each size there should be in the bag?

Yeah, the directions are quite clear on the screw size and quantity for each size breaking them out into groups of 'A,B,C,...etc'.

It's also clear in the directions which size/kind screw goes where. So no worries there.

...But mans sorting so meny teeny tinny itty bitty screws is tedious!

Yamato has posted additional instructions about part sorting and construction tips:

Part1: http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_096/index.html

Part2: http://www.yamato-toys.com/dev/cont_097/index.html

Part3: coming soon

Can a model owner post a full scan of the construction manual? It can be very useful for the toy owner who may want to paint the toy or repair the toy.

Yeah I saw those post on Yamato's site. I can't read Japanese but I gathered from the pictures it says "Step 1: Get ruler, calipers, tweezers, patients, a beer, maybe an magnifying glass and sort itty bitty screws into piles labeled A,B,C..." :p

I may be winy about the screws but it's not that big a deal, really just an annoyance.

This is actually a nicely done kit with pretty good directions. I'd recommend it to anyone who is up to the challenge.

...the construction manual is 27 pages long so, sorry I don't see myself scanning and uploading it any soon but here is some example pages I found on Yamato's site.

<http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/photogallery/photo.php?glid=44>

I'd be up also for buying a PE sheet that someone doesn't plan on using.

I hope those glow in the dark decals will be offered up at places like HLJ.

I don't understand why they don't offer up all the extras like the sticker sheets and PE parts in a bundle. They're already making them, how hard could it possibly be to make extras and sell them to the people that bought their product early and at nearly double the price only just a relatively short time ago?

THIS!!!!!! :angry::wacko:

have to echo what 3.14 said, it's organization that will be key.

the screws is an example of that and another is the sprue layout for the bridge section. for such a tiny section, the parts come from 4 separate sprues containing other unrelated parts. granted that one of the parts is clear, so deservedly in a separate sprue, but 3 separate sprues for something half the size of a thumb? and there is one part, just one, that's in a sprue that itself is a mixed bag for other sections.

i was hoping to open just a couple of bags at a time, because as with most model kits crammed in a box, sprues you've taken out rarely fit into the box again until you're halfway through :rolleyes:

but if you could get over these little annoyances, the parts themselves build in a very instinctive way, almost like a snap kit.

but if you could get over these little annoyances, the parts themselves build in a very instinctive way, almost like a snap kit.

The SDF-1 kit is supposed to be snap fit for all parts because at the end of the day it's still the same toy, but unassembled on sprues.

Part 2 of a "How to" for the SDF-1:

http://www.yamato-to...l?infolnk=index

It should be part 3 by now.

It is indeed.

Part 4 of a "How to" for the SDF-1:

http://www.yamato-to...l?infolnk=index

I like the way Yamato san described the usage of PE parts there.

"Everyone, please find good pace to use them" --- :ph34r::o

Regarding painting on 1/3000 Valkyries....

"No comment..." :o:lol: :lol:

For the Glow in the dark decals...

"If you get carried over and put on too many, you will regret when you turn off the light to see!" :lol:

So, from the pics, it looks like this thing is molded in color except the damage parts. Can anyone who has this kit confirm that? If so, then it appears one could essentially add some panel lining and have it look pretty good. I'm not adverse to building my kit and saving $100 bucks or so, but I don't think I'm interested in a full-on paintup.

So, from the pics, it looks like this thing is molded in color except the damage parts. Can anyone who has this kit confirm that? If so, then it appears one could essentially add some panel lining and have it look pretty good. I'm not adverse to building my kit and saving $100 bucks or so, but I don't think I'm interested in a full-on paintup.

Yep molded in color except for the damaged parts which are in in 'resin jaundice yellow'...It's the 1/3000 toy re-released as a big box-o-parts.