Square Enix Playarts Figs

my little sister (who has always had a crush on SOLID SNAKE) just got the new MGS1 P. ARTS edition in the mail yesterday from Ami Ami.

pretty darned nice, overall, but QC leaves something to be desired.

doesn't take a great deal to get his head to pop off the neck, for instance, and his center of gravity...

let's just say that more often than not, a breath in his general direction will most likely topple him right over.

i've fiddled and fiddled, tried every variation of stance i can think of, with this HIGHLY articulate figure... yet i just cannot find a sweet spot.

at close inspection, he has somewhat loose Ankle joints, and i'm tempted to blame all these balance issues on that alone.

suppose we just ended up with a bum copy? anyone else here with this particular figure? any similar issues?

The qc is hit and miss at times. along with scuplts.

I'll say. My FF XIII-2 Lightning not only has a somewhat bent left lower leg (thankfully covered by her feather-skirt thing) but the ankle joint is also busted. Recently broke after I tried to move it a bit. It's now held together by blutac.

FF XIII-2 Serah fared better, but her ankles aren't as flexible as I'd like them to be (seems to be the case with all PlayArts Kai figs), and she tends to fall over at times.

I'm still waiting on my MGS Solid Snake to show up but i received my Cyborg Ninja (Gray Fox) about a week ago from a local seller, sculpt and proportions are excellent but similar to what Shaorin was saying about balance with Solid Snake holds true for Gray Fox. the joints on my figure are actually all very tight, and the figure is highly articulate, unfortunately, i blame the feet themselves, where the feet are heeled and the right foot is slightly flexed contributing greatly to the figures instability. the only other Play Arts figures i have are the Advent Children FFVII figures and they came with stands and a bunch of extra hands, both accessories would've been greatly appreciated with Gray Fox as a stand would've contributed to stability and extra hands for the left hand in particular would've helped a lot aesthetically. Gray Fox's left hand just looks kind of awkward in a rested slightly open state, no fists or wide open palm, just what it comes with. The right has two hand variants although i can't see why since the first thing you'll do is chuck the standard hand for the sword holding variety. Overall I like the figure, i did find the lack of a thigh swivel (they went with ball joint instead) a bit of a disappointment for some of those dynamic "ninja" poses, but overall the figure is very fun and an excellent representation of the character from the video game.

*EDIT*

Almost forgot that it comes with the gun too which is pretty cool as well; mine is always equipped with the sword so i never use the gun but it's still well sculpted and his arms don't lose any flexibility on account of equipping it.

Edited by emajnthis

• 1 month later...

well, my sister's MGS PLAY ARTS collection is now complete, so far as she feels it'll ever be;

MGSPLAYARTS-6-5-12.jpg

in a perfect world, she'd like to collect them all, but at $70 a pop plus shipping, she feels it best to keep to her must-haves...

Edited by Shaorin

I saw these this weekend and they're just incredible looking. I know what you mean though... to get both was a $140 out the door. It sucks because my nephew is just getting into MGS and if I bought them for myself, I'd have to get it for him too... GULP!

back in the late 90's, i had gotten (and still have) MGS1 on the PS1 when the game hit the shelves.

i became an instant fan, collecting the entire set of McFARLANE MGS figures along the way, paying about as much

for all seven of them as for just one of these PLAY ARTS.

my sister became a fan around the same time, developing a crush on SOLID SNAKE,

and as the 2000's came along, and i devoted myself more and more to Anime, MGS fell by the wayside, to the degree

that i was ready to consider trying to make some quick cash, to infuse into my Anime devotion, off of my MGS collection.

it was then, that i found that my sister had stayed true to her MG fandom all through the while,

and just about had a stroke when she found out what i was considering.

needless to say, she put a kibosh to that real quick.

all this time later, i have went back to all the games in the series, rediscovering just how good (oft-cheesy, but still excellent on the whole) they actually are,

and being grateful that my sister didn't let me part with them.

and then these PLAY ARTS materialize, which pretty much handily blow the old McFARLANE figs out of the water in most every way conceivable,

and, hideously overpriced or not, i just had to buy my sister at least her two principal favorite charas...

$70 a pop! ouch! My local game/anime shop has them for $50, they have a website but i'm sure shipping would kill the deal for you guys on the West Coast. I still have to go pick up my MGS1 Snake, but judging by the posted photos, i won't be disappointed.

It actually looks better in person. I think the sheer size of the figures really draw your eyes, and the detail locks you in. It's amazing stuff. I also love the Assasins Creed figure, but I would just get the dark Ezio fig.

$70 a pop! ouch! My local game/anime shop has them for $50, they have a website but i'm sure shipping would kill the deal for you guys on the West Coast.

I still have to go pick up my MGS1 Snake, but judging by the posted photos, i won't be disappointed.

YOU'RE DAMNED LUCKY, YA KNOW THAT?

-too bad 'ol David ain't a little bigger, though; he makes a bit of a poor match for my Miku-chan, scale-wise, at the very least;

SNAKEMiku-chan6-6-12.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

$70 a pop! ouch! My local game/anime shop has them for $50, they have a website but i'm sure shipping would kill the deal for you guys on the West Coast. I still have to go pick up my MGS1 Snake, but judging by the posted photos, i won't be disappointed.

Same here, there's a shop in J-town that carries them for around the same price. for that much they're worth it but I feel like $70+ is a bit much.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my Solid Snake the same day i posted previously, he's freakin' awesome, i'm definitely going to be looking at future offerings for this and other lines. I had some of their older Final Fantasy figures and they were good, but nothing great, i really like their MGS figures, i just hope they include some more accessories in the future.

As much as I like the figs from the first MGS game, I just can't relate to them since I've never played it. Solidus is awesome--gonna have to make some space in my shelf for him.

Waiting for them to be done with the MGS2 - SOL and Snake Eater characters and move on to MGS4. Cyborg Raiden, Old Snake, FROG troops and the B&B corps...now those, I'd pay good money for.

mmm, FROGS... :wub:

BB corps would be awesome in theory, but I'm not sure how they would turn out in practice. Laughing Octopus and Screaming Mantis would seem extremely hard to to successfully pull off as poseable toys, and all four of them would be really expensive given how much solidus costs. (I think I'd want Screaming Mantis and Crying Wolf more than the other two in any event).

but have I mentioned that I love haven troopers. :wub:

I'm all for Crying Wolf and Raging Raven (or was it Yelling Raven? I forget) at the very least. I'd love to see a Laughing Octopus fig, but like you said, it would seem very hard to successfully pull off as a poseable toy.

Not too big of a fan of Screaming Mantis, though.

I can't wait for them to release Cyborg Raiden and Vamp. IMO those two nearly overshadowed Old Snake with their awesome fight scenes.

• 4 weeks later...

I really want to see play arts kai dead space toys. that would be the coolest crap ever. Dead space has some of the coolest armor designs ever and the only toys that have been done have been extremely meh.

I don't understand why it is that toy makers that market to adult collectors in the US insist on using the shittiest joint designs possible and sculpting/casting everything in f*cking chewing gum.

I don't understand why it is that toy makers that market to adult collectors in the US insist on using the shittiest joint designs possible and sculpting/casting everything in f*cking chewing gum.

Both of my Revoltech Bayverse OP and Bumbebee are also rubbery as hell, but at least they've got far better joints than the ones used by PlayArts.

I absolutely had that rubbery crap they use. My PlayArts FF XIII-2 Lightning had a bent left leg that I didn't notice earlier because it was obscured by her feather skirt thing. That defect could have been completely avoided had they used hard plastic.

I really want to see play arts kai dead space toys. that would be the coolest crap ever. Dead space has some of the coolest armor designs ever and the only toys that have been done have been extremely meh.

Square had a prototype of the Dead Space 3 figure on display at sdcc

http://www.figures.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5551&title=square-enix&cat=760