Blade Runner Prequel / Sequel / TV?

chrisk

Sure, but it's an amazing coincidence that Deckard's dream shows an unicorn and that Gaff makes an origami of an unicorn...

That's exactly my point. Having Deckard dream about unicorns and then Gaff leave an origami unicorn is near undeniable proof that he is in fact a replicant. The problem I have with it is that by saying "yes Deckard is a replicant," you're loosing a big chunk of the movies open endedness and room for interpretation, which makes it a weaker film as a whole.

The unicorn scene wasn't in the original movie and it should have stayed that way. I can somewhat understand wanting to take out the voice over and "happy" ending because those where added against his wishes by the studio at the time they made the film. The unicorn scene wasn't one of these things, at the time the movie was made Scott made the decision to let the question of whether or not Deckard is a replicant remain open ended. It was only years later when they let him do the directors cut that he decided that particular scene just HAD to be in the movie.

That's exactly my point. Having Deckard dream about unicorns and then Gaff leave an origami unicorn is near undeniable proof that he is in fact a replicant. The problem I have with it is that by saying "yes Deckard is a replicant," you're loosing a big chunk of the movies open endedness and room for interpretation, which makes it a weaker film as a whole.

The unicorn scene wasn't in the original movie and it should have stayed that way. I can somewhat understand wanting to take out the voice over and "happy" ending because those where added against his wishes by the studio at the time they made the film. The unicorn scene wasn't one of these things, at the time the movie was made Scott made the decision to let the question of whether or not Deckard is a replicant remain open ended. It was only years later when they let him do the directors cut that he decided that particular scene just HAD to be in the movie.

Okay, I understand better what you meant now. But I don't think this dream scene makes a weaker film because it consolidates a point which was weakly made in the first version: I actually tend to dislike movies which are too much open ended or vague – but it's personnal...

I understand the unicorn debate (and I also wish that it wasn't explicitly stated that way that Deckard is a Replacant), but what about the glowing eyes - the replicants have them, the owl has them, and also Deckard. Were they in the original release of the film?

I understand the unicorn debate (and I also wish that it wasn't explicitly stated that way that Deckard is a Replacant), but what about the glowing eyes - the replicants have them, the owl has them, and also Deckard. Were they in the original release of the film?

I think they were.

I can understand not liking the unicorn scene because it removes the ambiguity but it also works the other way as well. Most likely a huge number of people who watched Blade Runner (pre unicorn edition) will have never pondered the question if Deckard was a replicant because the film is perfectly watchable to the average Joe without that question ever coming to mind. Now (post unicorn) we have a scene which makes people ask "huh? what does that mean?" and so more people are asking the question "is Deckard a replicant?". Now if the second cut achieves that purpose better than the original then it has served its purpose and fleshed out what the director wanted the audience to understand.

I also disagree with anime52k8's idea that the director has no say over the canon of the story. The audience can interpret things anyway they want and do what they will with it but thats pretty much just fanfiction. Canon is canon, so why i totally understand why you dislike that scene it dosnt negate it from being part of the story, even if it was added in at a later date.

I suppose an example we could all relate to is Macross Frontier. If teh series creators released a special edition of the final episode which shows Alto and Sheryl become a couple, get married, and then have a load of kids with girls that look like girls and boys that look like girls, then thats what happened - even if it is a load of cack.

Edited by Nicaragua

Wasn't there a scene that was filmed (or at least planned to be) where Deckard walks into some sort of scanner, and the machine identifies him as a Replicant (but nobody notices)? I think I read it in that massive Making of Blade Runner book... Could also support Scott's overall direction of the character...

The only way to improve Bladerunner is to make another Final-Really-This-Time-Director's-Cut. Take out the dream sequence again, leave off the voice-over, cut the crappy driving-off-into-the-countryside theatre ending. There, perfect.

I'm willing to concede someone could do a re-imagining of Bladerunner which will be better than any of the original versions. The chance of that happening is about a billion to one. Especially if it's in 3D.

Blade Runner is not Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.

Thank Grud.

The only way to improve Bladerunner is to make another Final-Really-This-Time-Director's-Cut. Take out the dream sequence again, leave off the voice-over, cut the crappy driving-off-into-the-countryside theatre ending. There, perfect.

so basically you want the workprint version. :p

• 3 years later...

Ridley has stated he's not directing BR2; he's only producing. Not sure how I feel about that.

Sorta like Spielberg producing Transformers, but letting Bay direct it. I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Slashfilm: Harrison Ford Calls ‘Blade Runner 2′ “The Best Thing I’ve Ever Read”

I sent him [the script] and he said ‘wow, this is the best thing I’ve ever read.’ It’s very relevant to what happened [in] the first one. I’m not just doing a sequel with lots of action and see how far we can go with the special effects, because you can’t really. [With] Blade Runner we kind of landed on a somehow very credible future. And it’s very difficult to change that because it’s been so influential with everything else.

Ridley is currently debating whether or not he'll direct.

Edit: Should we not change the name of this thread to "Blade Runner 2" or "Untitled Blade Runner Sequel"?

Edited by Duke Togo

I'm really hoping Harrison Ford knows what he's talking about with this one. Generally these 20, 30 years later sequels fail to capture much of what made the originals so special. I wish Scott would work more with new productions instead of going back to Blade Runner to be honest.

oh you mean like halo nightfall? :p pfffff.

I thought in some commentary tracks ford said he hated blade runner? namely the original cut with having to do those narrative bits he felt were worthless and even bitches during recording he didn't want to do them. or him and Sean young having no chemistry and having to film the worst and most awkward sex scene in cinema?

No. And it's pretty well known that he and Spielberg fought with Lucas over the script, in a fight that went more than one round.

Huh I'm sure I head him say that on Letterman or Leno back when they were plugging the movie, maybe I'm just remembering wrong. Took a look around and couldn't find where he said it so thats probably the case.

well when you're under contract and gotta plug the movie you gotta say it's the best thing since the iPod and sliced bread. you don't wanna have a katie Holmes incident.

you mean jumping up and down on Oprah's couch? :huh:

well when you're under contract and gotta plug the movie you gotta say it's the best thing since the iPod and sliced bread. you don't wanna have a katie Holmes incident.

No one is signed on to BR2 yet. And this "quote" came out of Ridley's mouth, not Ford's. Why would Harrison Ford talk up the script to the man who gave it to him?

• 2 months later...

Just Indiana Jones. But from what I can gather he's playing Han Solo in the upcoming Star Wars film and now Deckard in a Blade Runner sequel.

In my own humble opinion there's a certain time and place for each role, and I think at age 72 his has passed.

Just Indiana Jones. But from what I can gather he's playing Han Solo in the upcoming Star Wars film and now Deckard in a Blade Runner sequel.

In my own humble opinion there's a certain time and place for each role, and I think at age 72 his has passed.

This is how I feel about the Sigourney Weaver casting rumors for Neill Blomkamp's ALIENS sequel. Hollywood should of done these sequels decades ago. I suspect the folk our age are the ones running Hollywood and loves these films like we do but its too late for them to create the movies we want. We saw this with Tron: Legacy. While being a technical marvel it didn't gain a large enough audience to make the money it should have.

Edited by TangledThorns

• 1 month later...

/Film: Ryan Gosling in Talks to Join Harrison Ford in "Blade Runner 2"

"As the Internet freaks out about Harrison Fords return as Han Solo in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer, another long-anticipated sci-fi sequel featuring Ford has taken a step forward. Ryan Gosling is boarding the Blade Runner sequel, which is being directed by Denis Villeneuve."