Kinda sorta relevant:

Back_To_The_Future.jpg

How far in the future was Robocop originally set?

Boy, did they sure peg that 3D movie craze, though I would have preferred hoverboards.

Edited by Keith

Going a little OT here, but it just emphasizes how a lot of technology "looks" haven't changed as much as they used to.

1955 car vs 1985 car? Completely different. 1982 vs 2012? A lot of common sedans look not all that different. More rounded, yes, but not like they've got huge fins and afterburner tail lights.

Airplanes---hah! 1955 F-86 vs 1985 F-18? 1982 F-15C vs 2012 F-15C? Or civilian----1955 DC-7 vs 1985 DC-10. Or 1982 767 vs 2012 767...

I'd even argue the same for fashion. 50's/60's/70's vs 80's/90's/00's.

Remakes of movies from the 40's and 50's, even 60's sometimes 70's---OK. Times/things change. But anything from the 80's/90's---what's going to be different? Will "Future Detroit" look any different at all? (Sadly, if anything, it may look even worse than what the original movie showed)

Going a little OT here, but it just emphasizes how a lot of technology "looks" haven't changed as much as they used to.

1955 car vs 1985 car? Completely different. 1982 vs 2012? A lot of common sedans look not all that different. More rounded, yes, but not like they've got huge fins and afterburner tail lights.

Airplanes---hah! 1955 F-86 vs 1985 F-18? 1982 F-15C vs 2012 F-15C? Or civilian----1955 DC-7 vs 1985 DC-10. Or 1982 767 vs 2012 767...

I'd even argue the same for fashion. 50's/60's/70's vs 80's/90's/00's.

Remakes of movies from the 40's and 50's, even 60's sometimes 70's---OK. Times/things change. But anything from the 80's/90's---what's going to be different? Will "Future Detroit" look any different at all? (Sadly, if anything, it may look even worse than what the original movie showed)

Also, we already had Hot Tub Time Machine fill this role.

Enough with the remakes already.

I'd love to see more books made into movies: Anything by Peter F. Hamilton would be great, although would need a huge budget to film. Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, Iain M. Banks 'Culture' novels. Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel rat books etc, etc.

Graham

• 1 month later...

I'm going to treat this the same way I did the Dark Knight:

"Heath Ledger? Who's this? No acid skin or stretched smile? Just make-up? *ptui!* That's not the Joker!" Then I saw the first trailer during his Unflinching Walk towards Batman in the streets and I could see the direction Ledger was taking the character. That trailer sold me right away.

Same with this. On paper, it sounds like crap. I'll reserve view/not-view judgement until after a trailer comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, if they have Gary Oldman and Hugh Laurie playing the bad guys I might end up having to eat my words and give it a chance. It was the first Rated R movie I saw in a theatre I own Robocop on Criterion LD, DVD, Blu Ray, and I love it dearly, but I may still give them a chance to prove my doubts wrong.

Alright, if they have Gary Oldman and Hugh Laurie playing the bad guys I might end up having to eat my words and give it a chance. It was the first Rated R movie I saw in a theatre I own Robocop on Criterion LD, DVD, Blu Ray, and I love it dearly, but I may still give them a chance to prove my doubts wrong.

As cool as that sounds, I don't know if I could stop myself from laughin gif Robocop winds up like Raiden.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't want to jump to any conclusions, but from the few visuals I've seen of "RC-2000," he's probably going to look more like a Cylon than Robocop.

ED 209 looks a little over-complicated in its design...too much going on. Overall, I still prefer the old designs.

ED 209 looks a little over-complicated in its design...too much going on. Overall, I still prefer the old designs.

ED-209 looks far too transformer-y busy to be taken seriously.

Don't care for the Bey-ified look either. The original design is Iconic; and while I wouldn't mind a re-imagined or updated look, what they've come up with looks more like some 3D hobbyist's "super-duper, extra kwel, mega armed, overly greebled, nobody-can-beat-me" fanwank pet project... like many fanmade starship designs one can find all over the net.

LOL, I want to see what happens when these mechs hit the real streets of Detroit. If the thugs spraying their AK's or the random collapsing building due to arson and/or abandonment don't put a dent in their armor... the corrupt police, incompetent city council, and general "just don't give a sh!t population" will complete the act of mechanical destruction.

Soon the machines will develop sentience and do a sprint across 8 mile like everyone else!

I hate to admit this since I've lived in Michigan for 15 years or so, but aside from perhaps some new real estate, which I guess can be added to the "Green Zone" (Comerica Park & Ford Field), Detroit has pretty much stayed the same - small islands of "civilization" surrounded by an ocean of blight.