Apparently Verhoeven stopped reading the book after a couple of chapters.  So there's that...

Nevertheless, good point Tekering!  Starship Troopers (movie) is the spiritual successor to Robocop!  Complete with bizzare-o CMs!  :lol:

On 1/26/2019 at 10:44 PM, RavenHawk said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I find the movie entertaining every time I watch it. The two are two completely separate and unrelated entities to me.

Just as World War Z book to film are 2 different entities.

I wish they went with the amazing Audio book cast and filmed that WWZ. As key are the interviews with interwoven back flash tales.

Alas however happens a lot when turning books to films.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:22 AM, teckno viking said:

Just as World War Z book to film are 2 different entities.

I wish they went with the amazing Audio book cast and filmed that WWZ. As key are the interviews with interwoven back flash tales.

Alas however happens a lot when turning books to films.

Have you read the 2007 JMS World War Z script that was leaked on-line?  That was much truer to the book and a 100x better then the script they ended up going with.

Carl

1 hour ago, wwwmwww said:

Have you read the 2007 JMS World War Z script that was leaked on-line?  That was much truer to the book and a 100x better then the script they ended up going with.

Carl

Hey Carl.

No I have not read the JMS one. Will have a look for it. Though no surprises JMS was 100× better. One of my favourites.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

1/3 ROBOCOP Fanhome Subscription

https://www.fanhome.com/us/movie-series/robocop-model/

Height: 24.4 inches (62 cm)
Fully articulated model
Made of metal and high-quality injection-molded ABS
With features that precisely reproduce those in the original film
Working thigh holster with removable pistol
Sound effects that reproduce original film phrases
Previously unreleased model RoboCop model based on the 1987 film
Superbly realistic facial features created in silicone
Note to collectors: the RoboCop model in this collection is not designed as a toy.
It's a genuine collector's item recommended for display
Batteries are not included

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_1.jpg.6a34461193821ca3e24e0b4479d640ef.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_2.jpg.379653cce65d83b2d75ae4b834d39159.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_3.jpg.89c401a1fbd4a44f686d299b44ad5da6.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_4.jpg.b2c8dd938f651b4aee2dd628de898381.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_5.jpg.4b10f237e62e042f6cfb6deffd84e1ba.jpg

On 11/3/2023 at 8:04 PM, mikeszekely said:

Anyone tried the new Robocop game yet?  I need to finish the Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm planning on grabbing Robocop next.

I played the demo and it's awesome.  Not a groundbreaking game by any means, but it so thoroughly LIVES in the Robocop universe that I don't care.  The devs got the details right, and I'm amused greatly by how the HUD jiggles around with every thudding step.  It looks and feels like it was made with fan's love and not an extruded and stamped committee product.

I'm slow on my gaming and haven't gotten to Phantom Liberty yet, but after that I'll jump right into Rogue City.

On 11/3/2023 at 8:04 PM, mikeszekely said:

Anyone tried the new Robocop game yet?  I need to finish the Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm planning on grabbing Robocop next.

Grabbed it Friday night and it's pretty awesome IMO, I think if you don't have a soft spot for the property going in you'll notice and get held up by the flaws more then a fanboy like me, but if you enjoy Robocop you should love it. It's a competent shooter, it's violent, it oozes personality and and it nails the aesthetic and look of the films, I'm really enjoying it. Even the mundane is pretty fun, in between bouts of hardcore, graphic murder and violence you get to serve the public trust, write parking tickets, solve minor issues for various citizens and civilians, it's really good. Just like Terminator Resistance you can tell the devs love the property, it's got details down and you can tell they respected the property and universe, it's a solid little game that doesn't ask too much of you, I haven't used a single gun besides the Auto-9, it's as badass as it has always seemed in the films. 

23 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Not a groundbreaking game by any means, but it so thoroughly LIVES in the Robocop universe that I don't care.  The devs got the details right, and I'm amused greatly by how the HUD jiggles around with every thudding step.  It looks and feels like it was made with fan's love and not an extruded and stamped committee product.

10 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Grabbed it Friday night and it's pretty awesome IMO, I think if you don't have a soft spot for the property going in you'll notice and get held up by the flaws more then a fanboy like me, but if you enjoy Robocop you should love it. It's a competent shooter, it's violent, it oozes personality and and it nails the aesthetic and look of the films, I'm really enjoying it. Even the mundane is pretty fun, in between bouts of hardcore, graphic murder and violence you get to serve the public trust, write parking tickets, solve minor issues for various citizens and civilians, it's really good. Just like Terminator Resistance you can tell the devs love the property, it's got details down and you can tell they respected the property and universe, it's a solid little game that doesn't ask too much of you, I haven't used a single gun besides the Auto-9, it's as badass as it has always seemed in the films. 

So the gist would be something like, "not a AAA game, but a decent shooter made by fans of the IP for fans of the IP."  Which is pretty much how I'd describe Terminator: Resistance, too, and I really liked that game.  And I'm more of a Robocop fan than a Terminator fan, so it sounds like I should have a good time with it.😁

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

So the gist would be something like, "not a AAA game, but a decent shooter made by fans of the IP for fans of the IP."  Which is pretty much how I'd describe Terminator: Resistance, too, and I really liked that game. 

It's very much a AA game, not AAA, and that's fine, I don't know if a hyper expensive AAA Robocop game would be a smart idea. I feel for the Robocop property, this is the perfect game, it doesn't have coop or multiplayer or any of those shenanigans, it's just a solid 20-30 hour single player romp in the Robocop universe. 

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

And I'm more of a Robocop fan than a Terminator fan, so it sounds like I should have a good time with it.😁

You should definitely enjoy it, this dev seems to just "get" these older properties, as I said they don't have the budget for a AAA game, and that's fine, what they put out are fun, fitting experiences for these properties. 

On 11/3/2023 at 8:07 PM, no3Ljm said:

1/3 ROBOCOP Fanhome Subscription

https://www.fanhome.com/us/movie-series/robocop-model/

Height: 24.4 inches (62 cm)
Fully articulated model
Made of metal and high-quality injection-molded ABS
With features that precisely reproduce those in the original film
Working thigh holster with removable pistol
Sound effects that reproduce original film phrases
Previously unreleased model RoboCop model based on the 1987 film
Superbly realistic facial features created in silicone
Note to collectors: the RoboCop model in this collection is not designed as a toy.
It's a genuine collector's item recommended for display
Batteries are not included

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_1.jpg.6a34461193821ca3e24e0b4479d640ef.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_2.jpg.379653cce65d83b2d75ae4b834d39159.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_3.jpg.89c401a1fbd4a44f686d299b44ad5da6.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_4.jpg.b2c8dd938f651b4aee2dd628de898381.jpg

robocop-uk-07-fasc0-baja_5.jpg.4b10f237e62e042f6cfb6deffd84e1ba.jpg

Question on scaling ... Enterbay's HD Masterpiece Robocop is 1/4 scale and stands 22" tall ... this model says it's 1/3 scale standing 24" tall? Which is more correct you think?

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

Question on scaling ... Enterbay's HD Masterpiece Robocop is 1/4 scale and stands 22" tall ... this model says it's 1/3 scale standing 24" tall? Which is more correct you think?

1/3 is correct, since 2 feet times three = 6; if it were 1/4, that would be 8 feet tall in real life!! O.O

4 hours ago, Bobby said:

Robocop's height differs from various websites. Some says it's 6'. Some says it's 6'2".

Based on the height value above, at 1/4 scale, it's 18" (6') or 18.5" (6'2"). At 1/3 scale, it's 24" (6') or 24.66" (6'2").

For Enterbay's size, Robocop stands at 7'3".

15 hours ago, Tking22 said:

You should definitely enjoy it

So... I didn't finish Phantom Liberty yet, but I bought Robocop anyway.  It's pretty interesting.  The game opens as a simple shooter, and while someone who isn't a fan of the series might find Robocop stiff and perhaps overly violent fans of the films will instantly get the plodding pace with each "plunk" of Robocop's footsteps, along with the way Robocop doesn't take cover.  No, Robocop endures the hail of enemy bullets as he methodically guns down perps.  On most enemies headshots are an instant kill that causes their heads to burst.

Now, I might have fun mowing down baddies as a nigh-indestructible cyborg of justice, but I can also see where it might get repetitive after awhile.  And that's where things really get interesting.  After that first mission you're free to wander around the station a bit, and then after you get your first mission, to find a police informant, you're set loose in a part of old Detroit... where you definitely don't have to immediately go find the police informant.  As a matter of fact, Sgt. Reed will call and give you first side mission pretty much right away, a case involving a stolen car.  Not only did I solve that case, I also solved the murder of a prostitute, busted a drug ring, stopped some kids from harassing a store owner, put a stop to some graffiti, and issued two parking tickets.  Activities like these put the "cop" in "Robocop," as they require more than simply shooting a bunch of guys that cribbed their style from the late Keith Flint.  You have to scan for clues and question witnesses, activities that can link into each other as testimony from a witness might direct you to another clue, or a particular clue might have information that'll open more dialogue options when questioning witnesses.  It doesn't quite give Detroit the same lived-in feeling that CD Projekt Red managed to give Night City, but it does add color to Robocop's world and gives Peter Weller the opportunity to bring some life to the character.

8 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

So... I didn't finish Phantom Liberty yet, but I bought Robocop anyway.  It's pretty interesting.  The game opens as a simple shooter, and while someone who isn't a fan of the series might find Robocop stiff and perhaps overly violent fans of the films will instantly get the plodding pace with each "plunk" of Robocop's footsteps, along with the way Robocop doesn't take cover.  No, Robocop endures the hail of enemy bullets as he methodically guns down perps.  On most enemies headshots are an instant kill that causes their heads to burst.

Now, I might have fun mowing down baddies as a nigh-indestructible cyborg of justice, but I can also see where it might get repetitive after awhile.  And that's where things really get interesting.  After that first mission you're free to wander around the station a bit, and then after you get your first mission, to find a police informant, you're set loose in a part of old Detroit... where you definitely don't have to immediately go find the police informant.  As a matter of fact, Sgt. Reed will call and give you first side mission pretty much right away, a case involving a stolen car.  Not only did I solve that case, I also solved the murder of a prostitute, busted a drug ring, stopped some kids from harassing a store owner, put a stop to some graffiti, and issued two parking tickets.  Activities like these put the "cop" in "Robocop," as they require more than simply shooting a bunch of guys that cribbed their style from the late Keith Flint.  You have to scan for clues and question witnesses, activities that can link into each other as testimony from a witness might direct you to another clue, or a particular clue might have information that'll open more dialogue options when questioning witnesses.  It doesn't quite give Detroit the same lived-in feeling that CD Projekt Red managed to give Night City, but it does add color to Robocop's world and gives Peter Weller the opportunity to bring some life to the character.

Just like Terminator Resistance it's just a really well done AA game that clearly gets the property, it doesn't have the visual fidelity or polish of, say, Spider-Man 2, but for what it is it's fantastic!

Agreed on the clunk, clunk of Robocop's steps, hearing that was nostalgic alone, and yes, Robocop combat is on point, he doesn't crouch, he doesn't take cover, he walks into oncoming fire from no less then a dozen baddies at a time and picks shots with the overwhelmingly fun Robocop vision. Not to be too crass but there's even a "groin shot" animation, limbs fly off, brains explode along with heads, blood trails down walls once splattered, the hyper-violence of that first film is recreated incredibly faithfully. Not to spoil things but eventually the Auto-9 gets upgrades, and you get access to some customization for it, it's not super elaborate, but it helps keep things fresh if you want to stick with the Auto-9. You can use others guns but should you? Occasionally I grab a mounted 50 cal, Master Chief style, but for the most part the Auto-9 is just the business, it's accurate, deadly, and sounds mean as all hell, I love it. 

I really enjoy the in between stuff too, as you said moving from one shooting gallery to the next would get boring quick, but the in between, semi open-world stuff is really fun, it really helps build the world and definitely gives you the "cop" side of Robocop. Voice acting is certainly mixed, but Weller slips right back into the roll, and he gets some fun new one-lines too.

It's just a well-done game in a year of tons, almost literally tons, of other fantastic games. After the drought that was the last couple of years or so 2023 is shaping up to be one of the best years for gamers in history, it's just been month after month of bangers, smaller titles like this may get lost in the shuffle but I hope word of mouth spreads and more people check it out, Tears of the Kingdom and Spider-Man 2 were great, but this Robocop game is doing it for me just the same. 

I finished Robocop.  The guy you think is the big bad for most of the game eventually lets you in on his secret plan... which turns out to be a plot device to set up a major boss fights.

Spoiler

Yeah, it turns out Antonowsky was being funded all along by someone in OCP as part of a project called Afterlife.  That someone turns out to be the Old Man, and Afterlife turns out to be about making turning more clinically dead people into cyborgs like Robocop.  Robocop goes to arrest the Old Man, only to find out that he died.  Some more stuff happens, but suffice to say it all leads up to a boss fight with the Old Man, now in a Robocop 2 body.  Hey, they had to find a way to give someone a Robocop 2 body, since Cain was killed in the movie.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:25 AM, mikeszekely said:

I finished Robocop.  The guy you think is the big bad for most of the game eventually lets you in on his secret plan... which turns out to be a plot device to set up a major boss fights.

Hide contents

Yeah, it turns out Antonowsky was being funded all along by someone in OCP as part of a project called Afterlife.  That someone turns out to be the Old Man, and Afterlife turns out to be about making turning more clinically dead people into cyborgs like Robocop.  Robocop goes to arrest the Old Man, only to find out that he died.  Some more stuff happens, but suffice to say it all leads up to a boss fight with the Old Man, now in a Robocop 2 body.  Hey, they had to find a way to give someone a Robocop 2 body, since Cain was killed in the movie.

Spoiler

Trying to envision Robocop 2 in a pair of adult diapers, but my brain revolted at the idea! O.o

• 3 months later...