The original robocop design is terrible, and cannot in any way shape or form be taken seriously even in the context of the 80's.

There is no way I can take anything you say for the rest of your life seriously after a comment like that.

Maybe you just don't like Verhoven? I don't like him either.

I don't hate him but I'm not thrilled by most of his movies either. Total Recall is the only film he's directed that I really like. My opinion of Robocop is the same as my opinion of Starship troopers; I find both amusing as comedy/satire but as anything meant to be taken seriously they just don't work at all for me.

I'm siding with Anime52k8. The original design looks ok. but dated. Also I can't figure out what the piston on the back of his leg does. Is it a stabilizer a bump stop for his ankle or what. It just looks tacked on.

I agree about the ankle pump, it was the wierdest feature there. In terms of design of robocop, the design itself is timeless and really when compared with modern robots not too far off in most respects (mechanically). But more than that, remember robocop is a dark satire so the robot was designed, in part, with that in mind. At least that pistion wasn't on the elbow like ceratin gold robot we all grew up with.

And BTG yes, this is america, for many of us on here, but a little common courtesy is not too much to ask. If you have no interest in a topic don't go trolling the thread. If you don't like it it maybe just say that and go, don't keep coming back and poking everyone who does. Yes the internet allows for that kind of behaviour and boards have to plice themselves to stop those behaviours if they are unwanted but next time perhaps certain people should check themselves first.

Edit: Good idea with the spoiler tag. ._. *fixes post*

It looks like a guy in a batman suit. :|

Doesn't look robotic at all, like the original. In the 80's movie it looked like he actually was a machine.

Here's hoping it looks better on screen... Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Didn't they have the exact same suit in G.I.Joe?! O_o

Edited by OmegaD3k

I'm just gonna leave this here:

First Look at the New RoboCop!

And my comment(s)

WTF? Looks like a guy in a suit of "hardened Kevlar plates over titanium dipped tri-weave fibers, for flexibility". The new Iron Man 3-suit looks more mechanical than that thing.

It strait up is the iron man suit in black. I don't hate this design, from a purely aesthetic standpoint I like it better than the original design, but It blatantly rips off the iron man suit and it ends up looking like a dude in a suit as a result.

What I would have wanted to see is something that gets across the idea that it's nothing more than a human head and maybe some organs supported by a robotic chassis. something along the lines of the robots from total recall where they've got mechanical joints and visible framework under their armor that makes it immediately obvious that there's no way a full human being could be inside this thing.

5964509375_78bb034f12.jpg

Comicon 2011 - Total Recall Car & Robot display 2 by Beef Waterfall, on Flickr

Part of the appeal of the original Robocop is that he looked, well... robotic; Peter Weller's performance also helped in selling that illusion. Acting and CG embelishments aside, this new Robocop just looks like a guy in a suit; there is nothing there that looks robotic... heck, Iron Man's power suit looks far more robotic than what I see there.

The interesting thing is that the 'leaked' concept art - which some in the industry discredited - was actually very similar to this final product.

Looks generic. But hey, we might be surprised!

However, when you compare this to the the original, there was no real precedent for the original design, apart from Hajime Sorayama's work. With this design, it draws from so many sources, it doesn't look new and exciting. But maybe we need to see it in action....

It would have been too cool to go the anti-"futuristic comic superhero" way (not that I ever expected that).

tetra.jpg

(Watch Tempbot for a similar approach)

But why has every piece of SF hardware have to look so generic these days? The last design that really impressed me was the Nu Galactica.

Edited by electric indigo

I realise now what I don't like about the suit - in the context of Robocop. It looks just like a muscle suit. It follows the contours of the body too finely. Whereas Robocop looked enormous, with cowlings, pistons and more, that really gave you the impression that there wasn't too much humanity under there. We were simultaneously repulsed that Robocop had lost his humanity, but intrigued by the power of the new body. This one doesn't give that impression - yet. It just looks like a guy in a suit. Outside of the context of Robocop, its a fun, modern design which looks cool. But I guess we need to see more context. Who knows? It may grown on me yet...

When I first saw the designs in the trailer for the new Dredd movie, I was a bit 'meh' but the movie has glowing reviews from geekdom (its not out where I am yet) so who am I to judge!

Edited by PetarB

There's currently a rumor circulating from someone who "has a friend in the industry" that what's in those pictures is just an under layer that goes under the actual suit. Full version is supposed to be much more metallic looking.

Didn't that appear in Robocop 2, and not the original?

Been too long since I've seen the original, but I'd swear that even in that, the paint looked a different shade as it curved away from the viewer. Maybe it was just a really well done airbrush effect? I know somewhere along the line they repainted it look more blue than silver.

EDIT: Quick Google image search shows me that it was a combination of airbrushed paint effects on the suit and a generally very shiny silver paint job. Still better than all flat black.

Edited by Greyryder