Yet Another VF-1 Model (with GBP and SA vairants)

tipatat

Here is my take, trying to do a more high resolution and high detail using mainly sub-ds. I am using Luxology Modo for the modeling. It's a WIP and currently untextured but I plan on modeling the many different variants too.

Plain Valkyrie

5279449251_75ec75244b_z.jpg

Interior

3627377205_48f7d83a54.jpg

Heavy Armor (still missing some detailing)

5367037089_b39dca31d0_z.jpg

Super Armor

5402731798_5343a23975_z.jpg

Super Armor in battloid

5410102334_6caa828153_z.jpg

Also have to say, I've seen many 3d vf-1 models, but none are as impressive as Dan Bickell's. Hat's off to you sir.

Also have to say, I've seen many 3d vf-1 models, but none are as impressive as Dan Bickell's. Hat's off to you sir.

Thanks! My model is still limited to just the nose and head, though. You've done a nice job of putting together a complete valkyrie, with GBP, FAST packs, and weapons. It might take me forever to get to that point, at the rate I'm going. I'm too much of an accuracy-nut for my own good!

You've made some interesting choices, mixing and matching mostly TV variant features with a few DYRL versions (the seat and hands). Mine is strictly DYRL, but I do plan to make a TV version as well, and your cockpit model makes me eager to get side-tracked on that!

I really like the proportions of your landing gear. It looks like a nice match for the original lineart. I spent a lot of time in the last month adding functional landing gear to my model (just the nose gear), and found it quite necessary to change the proportions and re-work the main hydraulic piston to actually work mechanically and fit in the properly shaped and sized gear bay (limited by the proper dimensions for the cockpit tub, and the recessed area for the head). I'm guessing your landing gear is just a posed display model? That is probably both the easiest and the best choice, if you want it to look accurate to the lineart.

Nice work!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Dan - yes, my model is an odd hybrid of the TV and DYRL versions since I like the realism of the hands in the DYRL while for the cockpit, I always thought the scene of pulling the levers to switch from B to G was iconic so I prefer the TV console, but I think the DYRM chair looks better (and is easier to find reference for). And you are right about the landing gear, strictly for display only trying to match the line art. I have no idea how it should all work but would love to see an animation of your gear to see how it should be. I love the detailing on your model like the hinges and everything. It is insanely good. Finding the right balance for detailing is always a tough point for me. I would really get lost doing that level of detail work.

And I have to admit I am much more of a modeler than a texturer. Would anyone (especially you awesome 2d artists) be interested in doing texture work on this? I could generate the UVs and we would release the final model to anyone interested for free of course.

Here is a shot with more detailing on the GBP heavy armor with missiles exposed.

5379727781_e767c576b6_z.jpg

Personally, I would make the landing light in the nose gear door flush, not recessed. All real planes would have it flush and I think some VF-1 drawings/models depict it so. I think Yamato just molds it like that because they don't want to go to the trouble of making it actually look like a lens+reflector.

Also, the rear tires have an odd profile to me. Should be taller and skinnier. And more rounded in cross-section.

Just finished the Strike Armor variant with heavy ordinance.

5427777740_71f1c5e76b_z.jpg

Now I have to do the S head that I have been putting off...

David - thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered the Master File books and will redo the landing gear with the better references and your suggestions.

Chillyche - here is some rough poly count info:

This Strike Armor variant is at about 65k polys (mostly sub-D)

The Heavy Armor GBP with missiles is around 164k polys (mostly sub-D)

Oh man. Is there a MODO to Max workflow?!

The easiest way is for me to export the model in Lightwave format (.lwo) and you can import that into 3ds Max. The UVs still aren't set up but I can send you a sample to see home it imports if you are interested. Just pm me your email.

Tipatat

Looking real good! I believe this is the 1st time I am looking at a fan render of a GBP-1, and it looks really nice too!

BlueMax, where did you get your icon from? It looks like a modified version of some artwork I did a looong time ago for my Macross fansite at http://www.tipatat.com/macross . I also did a GBP-1 back then too.

Tipatat

Finally got the Variable Fighter Master File books (thanks amazon.co.jp) and there is definitely a lot I have to fix with my models, esp the GBP armor. I can't believe I'd gone so long without these. I can't recommend it enough (both volumes). I only wish they had good reference for the Atmospheric-escape Booster. If anyone has scans for the instruction manual for that model kit I would really like to get my hands on that.

Tipatat

I only wish they had good reference for the Atmospheric-escape Booster. If anyone has scans for the instruction manual for that model kit I would really like to get my hands on that.

Tipatat

Rodavan must have some good reference of that, cuz his model is pretty insane.

Here is a WIP of the Atmospheric Escape Booster. The lines on the main booster parts aren't as clean after I started cutting in for the detailing, I may redo it, but thought I would post what I have so far... also I had some problems with the spacing of the boosters so the huge nozzles don't intersect while still keeping the legs in the right placement. I wish I had better reference.

5440326839_c2a2747eaf_z.jpg

5440929648_5f4bd0b581_z.jpg

5440694331_47360e2ecd_z.jpg

Edited by tipatat

You are planning the D variant or your project/work it is only focused on the single seat variants?

Btw, great work! keep it up! :)

Thanks! I eventually plan on doing the D variant, but probably not for awhile. I think I might take a break from the VFs and work on some Destroids or maybe start the texture work.

Thanks! I eventually plan on doing the D variant, but probably not for awhile. I think I might take a break from the VFs and work on some Destroids or maybe start the texture work.

When you do the VF-1D, you should totally do the head from Macross the First, Mikimoto's new manga. ;)

LOVE the visor detail! You certainly beat me to the punch on that. Excellent work!

Thanks Dan. Seeing your model makes me definitely want to up my game as well. It's pretty much faked with random shapes to match the line art as close as possible. I just wish I had a good reference for the J interior as well.

Taking a break from the VFs and am working on finishing a sweet Tomahawk Destroid model originally by an awesome 3d artist named Sumimasen. He did the arms and I did the rest of the torso. Right now it's still hard polys but I will convert that to sub-Ds after I finish the bottom half.

5453107662_2538f7ebe0_z.jpg

• 11 months later...