yamato 1/48 version 2???

tank

Hi all I haven't been posting for a while but anyway been lurking for a while I was wondering, will yamato be doing a 1/48 version 2 with better accuracy like the 1/60 but a lot more details involve, since its a 1/48 I'm sure yamato can add a lot of details more in it. like inside the cockpit or maybe a rotating pilot seat like the vf-0's. I hope yamato can do atleast one run or something coz I still love the 1/48's and I would love to see an updated version of it.

After seeing what Yamato can do with the 1/24 AV-98 Ingram.

I can't stop wondering, if Yamato can make a non-transformable re-sculpt 1/48 VF-1 Battroid mode.

With beautiful paint job, lighting, great articulation and metal joints etc... :)

THAT would be AWESOME.

I love the 1/48 scale so much better than the 60's, although the v2 1:60's are pretty sweet. But the 1:48's are capable of doing so much more due to the larger scale. If they did do a new 1:48 scale, it would be great if they could incorporate new features such as a working ladder (for the pilot to get into the cockpit), proper leg intakes, and configure a means for the pilot to exit the craft as demonstrated in the TV show.

Jenius what da hell is wrong with da head? LOL Where should it be?

I think he is referring to the line art. I think the head does not line up where it is suppose to be.

I also think the arms are off when it's in fighter mode. They hang too low. The v2 1:60 is more line art accurate.

I also think the arms are off when it's in fighter mode. They hang too low. The v2 1:60 is more line art accurate.

And those shoulders tend to break a lot

Besides, no Valkyrie ever made is lineart accurate (Battroid wise)

The only retooling the 1/48 needs is a VF1D and an optional parts kit that includes: a shorter nosecone for battroid (very simple, since the nose can already be taken out), side covers & big hands (the ones included in the Armored) and maybe a standing pilot (and a TV Roy). So no, I wouldn't buy another one, they are just perfect as they are

I don't see a problem with the current 1/48's, they are still the best in my opinion, you only need to add a few new versions like the Elint, a VF-1S max or the VF-1D version and reissue the striker parts!!!!!! because i can buy 100 1/48's but not find a single addon parts set for it at a normal price!

One detail they may fix is put the VF-1J's fixed big hands with all versions.

I hope on reissues in the new style box soon.

i don't know about making a v.2 but i feel they should at least finish the rest of the 1/48 line. 1D, CE, VT

people bought both the 1/60 v.1&2 versions without question, so why wouldn't they buy the 1/48 scale one?

I'm with you on this. It would be nice to see a completed Yamato 1/48 VF series.

If Yamato were to rework the 1/48 to a V.2, I would only be interested in the two seaters and paint variations.

I think he is referring to the line art. I think the head does not line up where it is suppose to be.

and that's a GOOD THING. believe me.

the original VF-1 BATTROID line-art is stylized. STYLIZED. it DOES NOT, by it's very STYLIZED nature,

take into account that the humanoid robot it portrays actually transforms into an aircraft.

INTEGRAL components of a high-performance aircraft that happens to transform onto a humanoid robot cannot radically

change their physical shape in order to "look cooler" in the robot form. a taileron is a taileron, as a wing is a wing.

just as the aircraft's engine nacelles CANNOT magically fatten themselves up to make the robot-mode's legs that they form look more "Buff"

i really do not understand the religious dedication among fans to the original VF-1 kawamori BATTROID line-art,

when so much "Anime Magic" was so obviously employed in the line-art's overall physical proportions.

as a long time VF-1 fan with a discerning eye, i feel that the 1/60v.II VF-1 is perfect in most every way,

and i cannot begin to imagine how YAMATO or any other firm could possibly realize the ideal balanced design

of a fully transforming realistic precision scale replica of the VF-1 "Valkyrie" any more precisely

than YAMATO has with their 1/60 VF-1v.II...

Edited by Shaorin

Just 'cause you don't mind a glaring flaw doesn't make it a good thing. It's a flaw, and a compromise, and that's all there really is to it. If Yamato didn't do that we'd probably complain about the low hanging nose cone. Chances are someone will take another stab at the VF-1 and improve upon it. I'd say the Hi Metal already does but I shouldn't lump in here because of the tiny scale and the lack of integrated landing gear and heat shield.

Edited by jenius

Wishing is one thing,,, practicality is another. I was one of those that never bothered buying the V.1 1/60s (except for 2 that have long since been sold), and 3 1/48s (that were sold off just as quickly as they were bought). The 1/48s look alright, but they're just too large, and just too bulky for storage, shipping, on and on. I doubt Yamato would ever go back to the 1/48, simply due to the fact that they have put a lot of time and money on the new 1/60s, and don't wanna jeopardize the sale of those. But I do know that for those of you who still are faithful to the 1/48s, it's kinda frustrating. I feel your pain. That's where the customizers come into play.

Just 'cause you don't mind a glaring flaw doesn't make it a good thing. It's a flaw, and a compromise, and that's all there really is to it.

but it's NOT a "Flaw"

it's an integral aspect of the realistic model's design, which allows the tight tolerances

of the 1/60v.II's carefully balanced proportions to actually work.

i'm no engineer, but i understand, just from a glance, that the proportions of the 1/60v.II

have been carefully designed to appear as balanced as possible in all three modes of it's transformation.

you cannot have a BATTROID head that doesn't "Float" without sacrificing the balance of the BATTROID torso

provided by the telescoping cockpit/nose fuselage module. a balance that also provides the tighter seating

of the blast shield over the cockpit canopy in BATTROID mode.

finally, the head of the 1/60v.II does not really actually "Float" at all when you look at it

from the proper perspective.

many VF-1 fans complain about it as an "Aberration" but i feel that they simply are just not used to, and perhaps incapable of getting used to,

a VF-1 scale replica with physical balance tolerances as tight as the 1/60v.II. probably, i think, because such a thing HAS NEVER EXISTED before

in the 30-year history of the VF-1 "Valkyrie" design...

Edited by Shaorin

First off I'd like to say that even acknowledging the head placement issue and taking into account the possibility of a broken shoulder, the 1/60 is still overall superior to the 1/48. The 1/60's head may be too high, but the 1/48's nose hangs too low and the shape of the nose in fighter mode is much better overall on the 1/60 (honestly the 1/60 fighter mode is superior in every way). the 1/60 also has much better, more accurate shaping to the chest and legs; better sculpted detail (intakes, feet, etc.) and printed markings (particularly on later releases); much smarter design choices; and significantly better articulation.

Further, I've never understood the argument that 1/48's are better because they are in a common scale. The only thing 1/48's are in scale with are model airplanes really, and if I wanted to display a Valk with a model airplane, I'd use another fighter model (like a hase kit) rather than a toy. Also, a 1/48 scale is no longer in scale with any other Valk toy; so now Yamato has to redo all their other valks in 1/48 which would make several of them as large and as expensive as the SDF-1 toy.

I sincerely hope they don't do a v2 1/48; There's no point to making one and it would simply take away development resources away from making toys of Valks and mecha that haven't already gotten a couple dozen different iterations.

The hi metal gets one thing right, maybe two, but is otherwise worse in many aspects. Maybe the glaring flaws on it don't bother you as much as the glaring flaw on the yammie does but it's still chock full of compromise and flaws.

The Hi Metal does one or two things right in the palm of your hand... it's tiny. Despite being so tiny it manages to sink the head in lower in fighter mode AND battroid mode and it's handles the backpack better (especially in fighter mode). Again, not a fair comparison since it doesn't have to stow a heat shield or landing gears but pretty impressive just the same. Sure, it has lots of other flaws, and even it doesn't nail the head position perfect (it cheats it up a bit but no where near as bad as the V2).

but it's NOT a "Flaw"

Is the head in the right spot? No. It's a flaw. If it makes you feel better we can call it a "flawed design choice"

They'd have to make it pretty darn good for me to buy a whole new line. But there's a good possibility, especially if they tampo the crap out of it.

And for every one complaining about too many VF-1s... Remember it's these babies that get your other VFs made. That and the higher price. lol.

Well, "perfect change" is false advertising until we get working side covers, engine intakes and cockpit access by the head. So a final delux venture with all the bells in 1/48 could be interesting... but I just want my obcure valks a TV SDF-1 and be done with collecting toys for ever.

The Hi Metal does one or two things right in the palm of your hand... it's tiny. Despite being so tiny it manages to sink the head in lower in fighter mode AND battroid mode and it's handles the backpack better (especially in fighter mode). Again, not a fair comparison since it doesn't have to stow a heat shield or landing gears but pretty impressive just the same. Sure, it has lots of other flaws, and even it doesn't nail the head position perfect (it cheats it up a bit but no where near as bad as the V2).

Is the head in the right spot? No. It's a flaw. If it makes you feel better we can call it a "flawed design choice"

yeah and it gets the feet wrong, the hips wrong, the chest wrong, the nose cone wrong, sensor blisters wrong... it doesn't get points for being smaller.. which has nothing to do with your assertion that the hi-metal is an improvement over the v2 1/60

... VF-1 and improve upon it. I'd say the Hi Metal already does ...

the one 1s adds a slightly undersized and squished head to that list.

It's a good toy, yes. But objectively more accurate to the line art than the v.2 1/60? It's pretty obvious that it's not. And honestly, as you mention, the head placement on the hi-metal is only marginally better than on the v2. Yes, the v2 has the collar which is wrong but the hi-metal itself isn't that far off and both are far from the mark compared to the 1/48 which is the most accurate out of all of the modern vf-1 toys.

Well, "perfect change" is false advertising until we get working side covers, engine intakes and cockpit access by the head. So a final delux venture with all the bells in 1/48 could be interesting... but I just want my obcure valks a TV SDF-1 and be done with collecting toys for ever.

thats why it should be 1/32 or 1/18 scale. lol. At 1/18 we can have articulated pilots.

yeah and it gets the feet wrong, the hips wrong, the chest wrong, the nose cone wrong, sensor blisters wrong... it doesn't get points for being smaller.. which has nothing to do with your assertion that the hi-metal is an improvement over the v2 1/60

but that wasn't my assertion at all. My assertion is that the V2 has its head in the wrong spot and it's a flaw. Evidence that it's not an overcome-able flaw is a toy that's about half the size that handles the head position better. In 1/48 scale I'd have to imagine some company could get the best of both worlds.

PS - check minus for cutting off a quote at the "but..." up above.

Edited by jenius

The main things that I don't like about the 1/48th are the low hanging arms and shoulders in fighter mode, and the super wide canopy....frickin hate how it looks from above or nose on because of that damn wide canopy.mad.gif IMO, the V2 1/60 is FAR superior to the 1/48.

Chris

but that wasn't my assertion at all. My assertion is that the V2 has its head in the wrong spot and it's a flaw. Evidence that it's not an overcome-able flaw is a toy that's about half the size that handles the head position better. In 1/48 scale I'd have to imagine some company could get the best of both worlds.

...Chances are someone will take another stab at the VF-1 and improve upon it. I'd say the Hi Metal already does but I shouldn't lump in here because of the tiny scale and the lack of integrated landing gear and heat shield.

Yeah, see, when I read that I didn't understand it to be just about the head placement and I still don't understand what the landing gear and heat shield have to do with the head placement.

In any case, when you look at how long the neck is on the hi-metal and how shallow the chest depression is, the actual placement of the head isn't really any better than on the v2, and is still far off model compared to the line art as shown in your own review:

post-19-129669325298_thumb.jpg

somehow, I just knew this would turn into a bitchfest about which scale and toyline is better. If one is gonna call the head placement of the 1/60 "flawed", then so are the placements of the arms and the nose of the 1/48s. The thing is, however, that it's not "flawed". It's simply a design choice. In anycase, neither the 1/60s, 1/48s, or any other scale for that matter, have the toys perfect.

IMO, this thread was gonna be a 1/48 vs. 1/60 just by the title alone. How many of these threads have we had?

PS - check minus for cutting off a quote at the "but..." up above.

But the Hi-Metal has an overly-long chest as a result of the head sitting lower in battroid mode. It doesn't "overcome the flaw", it trades it for a different one. The 1/48 forgoes both and instead has the nosecone hang down below the knees. The fact of the matter is, in order to transform a VF-1 without swapping out the entire nose cone you have to do one of those three, give the plane a stubby nose in fighter mode, or some combination of the 4.

Either or...now that I have both, a valk is a valk. I like the 1/48 more due to preferences, not because the design, but because I value it more because I started my macross collection with the 1/48, well seriously that is. I did have the v1 1/60 but sold all of them and ekpt the vt and ve. After seing the 1/60 v2 i can see why a lot of people prefer it. This thread i believe was to inquire if Yamato would make a v2 1/48 not to see which shlong is longer or better. If yamato makes more 1/48 sure i buy more, if not that's fine. We'll make our own =) considering that Yamato released a new version of roy and hikaru with new box design prompted me to get them. LOL