I added a handle to my SSPB. I had modded it a couple year ago with a crayola marker for a barrel and a rail mount from a recon sight.

Since I cut off the handle to my Barrel break to my my Masterkey, I recycled the handle and ziptied it to the SSPB.

SSPB1.jpg

SSPB2.jpg

SSPB3.jpg

Just like the men of the Manhattan Project, I have created something so awesome that it is an automatic loss for any opposing force.

I present the tactical zhuzhu pet!!!!

TZZ2.jpg

It was a joke between a friend and myself after watching this video go to 1 min and 50 secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMao4s0ixOA&feature=related

I was looking at a catalog of upcoming toys for Transformers: Dark of the Moon and saw that Hasbro will release a new Optimus Prime Nerf blaster. It's a 10-round pistol unit that looks like a modified Dart Tag Hyperfire with light and sound effects.

post-237-0-56367300-1299744816_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, after buying some of the underpowered Star Wars Nerf guns, I'm a little leary of licensed Nerf spin-offs :)

For the Nerf fans in the Philippines, there is a massive sale on Nerf blasters:

• Up to 50% off on Dart Tag Strikefire (Php 800, was Php 1,499.75) and Furyfire (Php 1,500, was Php 2,999.75).
  • Free Recon CS-6 (Php 1,199.75 value) with every purchase of a Vulcan EBF-25 (Php 2,999.75).

So i picked up the swarmfire the other day. It is a nifty blaster. Im getting about 50 feet with the ARs removed.

So I cracked open the swarmfire. Very easy. Just remove the yellow shells and then open the gray body.

The motor/piston system is encased in a off-white casing that is held with snaps and a couple screws. Dont forget to remove the turret. It is only held in with one screw.

Pop out the plunger tube. Careful cause there is a small spring. The turret has posts just like a Vulcan chain. just cut them out from the back.

dsc03469q.jpg

Here is the plunger tube. I covered up that small hole with electrical tape.

dsc03468fx.jpg

The AR is an orange piece of plastic. In the plunger tube, there is also a white cross with a circle. It is what the spring pushes against to push the orange AR. I cut that out too. The end of the plunger tube is glued in. I used a knife to carefully separate the tube body from the end cap and break the glue seal. I put everything back together. I didnt even bother gluing the plunger tube cap on, it just nests into the tube.

dsc03465h.jpg

dsc03466a.jpg

Here is what the plunger and spring look like.

dsc03467bg.jpg

I have easily doubled the range. I estimate about 40-50 feet.

Here is a video of the swarmfire compared to my element and pistol splat. No where close haha. The Swarmfire has a NF spring inside it.

spring dimensions

Length at rest: 74.35mm

Length at full compression: 11.4mm

Diammeter: 22mm

Picture comparing NF spring (the longer one) to the Swarmfire spring (shorter one)

dsc03479px.jpg

Here are some more detailed pictures of the entire Swarmfire.

exterior

dsc03472k.jpg

Yellow accent half shell removed

dsc03473o.jpg

Gray shell removed.

dsc03474bw.jpg

Gearbox opened. the white disc can be simply pulled off to get access to plunger rod and spring.

dsc03478gf.jpg

The plunger tube head has a foam seal that is pushed up against the turret. This little slot is where the spring goes.

dsc03477xi.jpg

When putting the plunger tube back in do not put the spring in that slot. Put the tube back in first. Then from the outside insert the spring into this hole. It makes it much easier.

dsc03480i.jpg

Here are some exploratory images that may give you an idea for possible mods. The turret is two parts. the "barrels" and the cogged ring that rotates the barrels. They are not glued together!!! Not even held together with screws. The barrels are screwed into a post in the gear box. That is what holds the cogged ring up against the gearbox. I used a stepped drill bit to clean the cogged ring's holes. However there is no longer any ledge to act as a dart stop. So putting in stock nerf darts has the possibility of going in too deep and possibly hitting the gear box as it rotates. Also if you look at the cogged ring, it has small rectangular slots above and below the holes. I think filling those slots will reduce a little dead space. The reason is the plunger head has two holes. Obviously so that when the turret rotates the plunger tube will line up with either the outer ring of darts or the inner ring of darts. So depending on which ring, one half of the plunger head is covered up, but that rectangular slot will allow some air to escape into that slot. It is such a small amount of space but just an idea.

dsc03475b.jpg

In this picture you can see the white post poking out past the cogged ring. I am able to nest 9/16 inch petg into the cogged ring. However it is a loose fit. I suspect a 1mm clearance around the PETG. However it shows that this gun is ready for some simple upgrades.

dsc03484f.jpg

Oh but only if you could rear load this fully automatic turreted nest of bees? Oh but you can. It is as if Nerf knows what we will do with this. With a minor snip here and there you could open up the shell even more for better access and ergonomics to rear load the turret. And from BOTH sides if you wanted to.

dsc03486d.jpg

A foam mortar?!? This I gotta have!

Can't watch the video at work but man, that's a big cat...

I'll watch the video at home, but mortar-like effect, you can achieve with Longstrike or almost any gun. Can crank quickly through a six-rd mag with a Longstrike set as a knee mortar and get them into a 5'x5' target zone at about 10 yards or slightly more. (This isn't spectacular, but remember that a default Longstrike in direct fire is already losing accuracy/ drooping at this range...) Slamfire designs should be able to do this even faster, but the ergonomics make it a lot less friendly to set up. Real issue is the default Nerf darts are too light, easily dispersed by wind. And you'll also need either open space or a high ceiling -- I couldn't test more than 10 yards on the Longstrike as the arc was slamming rounds into the ceiling...

There is a third-party product in the market that's more of a grenade, but it requires a nose-cone impact to trigger. In that sense it's like a mortar, only restricted to how far you can throw (it's foam-covered so relatively safe) and a bit more flexible than a mortar. It's not very good -- detonation reliability is a bit suspect -- but it's another dimension to the game.

Thanks, appreciate you linking.

Spring loaded, so no air-works. Might not be tactically useful (complicates logistics), but yeah, a certain cool factor about it.

EDIT: Actually, an interesting adaptation would be to get it shoulder/ back mounted, and use your body as a baseplate. One-shot isn't going to be a big factor in such a case. Accuracy is for nuts, but sheer surprise value should be interesting. :) Additional work might be to mod a carrier for normal Nerf darts -- get the canister up high, release the darts, and let gravity take over; area saturation attack.

Edited by Lynx7725

Here's an interesting find:

http://sgnerf.blogspot.com/2010/12/nerf-stampede-ecs-50-dual-drum-mag.html

59B0AB3219B9F369108DF66CA6A1DF71.jpg

Note that this is not confirmed and might be just conceptual. Ah nevermind, it's conceptual only.

I'm not so sure about this. Historically, real-life dual drum mag didn't seem to work right -- the physics involved are just too prone to failure. Practically, the size of those drums, I'm guess it's a 25rd clip, so it's not that much of an improvement over the 18rd drum (which is nice and compact). At least they might make it flat so that it can stand in for a bipod on the Stampede...

Edited by Lynx7725

Actually Lynx, it is a 50 rd drum. So it is quite the game changer. I dont know how well it will work sideways in a raider but So far there has been no other information about the 50rd drum. I think Hasbro is keeping it quiet. So it doesnt screw over current Stampede sales. I know Im waiting for it to get a stampede.

Picked up a carrying case for my Stampede ECS a couple of weeks ago. Some of you may recognize it as one for Airsoft rifles.

nerf16.jpg

nerf17.jpg

I was told at the hobby shop that this bag can hold up to two Airsoft rifles and one pistol. But as Nerf blasters are bulkier, that's a different story. The left pocket, normally used for Airsoft pistols, easily fits the N-Strike scope and targeting light. The right pocket is good for two refill packs of Streamlines. The middle pocket is for the bipod grip and some spare D batteries.

nerf18.jpg

nerf19.jpg

nerf20.jpg

As the straps aren't long enough for the Stampede unit, the middle compartment is for the two spare magazines.

nerf21.jpg

The Stampede fits snugly in the rear compartment, along with one 18-dart mag and a 6-dart mag.

nerf22.jpg

Having backpack straps also helps.

nerf23.jpg

As you can see, it fits everything except the shield, which I don't use anyway. Not bad for roughly US$20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just recently started getting into NERF with my nearly 7 year old son.

Bought the following guns in the past 3 weeks:

1 x Alpha Trooper CS-18 = Fantastic gun, highly recommended. Love the balance of size, weight and capacity and the slam fire feature.

1 x Barricade RV-10 = Very noisy and jams frequently. Really regret buing this. It worked ok for about 30 shots but now jams all the time.

2 x Maverick REV-6 = Great sidearms. Got one yellow and one transluscent green. My favorite so far.

1 x Recon CS-6 = So-so IMO. good as a pistol, but the stock feels flimsy and doesn't hold a spare mag securely, the rail being on the cocking handle is a really stupid location as it interferes with the rear sight. If I'd had a chance to try this first I probably would not have bought it. The Alpha Trooper is far superior IMO.

So far my feeling is to stay away from the battery powered guns.

Graham

Bought that pack of 2 x 6rd magazines that comes with the grey adapter that lets you clip 2 mags together end to end, but it seems really unsecure in that the slightest bump will knock a magazine out of the grey adapter clip. Do you guys usually glue the mags into the adapter clip?

Graham

Good choice of blasters, Graham. Though I'm not sure why your Barricade jams. Perhaps you didn't insert the darts all the way in.

Bought that pack of 2 x 6rd magazines that comes with the grey adapter that lets you clip 2 mags together end to end, but it seems really unsecure in that the slightest bump will knock a magazine out of the grey adapter clip. Do you guys usually glue the mags into the adapter clip?

Graham

Didn't realize how unstable the flip clip is. Most people would just duct tape two magazines together.

Gave my Barricade another try last night in the house and it worked fine. It's weird, when I first got it, my son and I tested it indoors and it worked fine, but when we took it outdoors to have a NERF fight around our village, it started jamming after only a couple of shots. Yet last night it worked fine again.

I've noticed you definitely can't fire too rapidly and need to have a second or half second pause between shots and also it needs a good firm trigger pull, something my just 7 year old son can't always manage yet. Need to do some more testing before I feel confident with it though.

Still think the manually operated guns like the Maverick and Alpha Trooper are better than the noisy battery powered Barricade though.

Planning to get a CS-35 Raider soon, for the 35rd drum.

Just ordered an 18rd Stampede magazine off ebay as well :)

Would like to get a few more of the 18rd Alpha Trooper drums.

Anybody know a source of holsters for Mavericks?

Graham

Gave my Barricade another try last night in the house and it worked fine. It's weird, when I first got it, my son and I tested it indoors and it worked fine, but when we took it outdoors to have a NERF fight around our village, it started jamming after only a couple of shots. Yet last night it worked fine again.

I've noticed you definitely can't fire too rapidly and need to have a second or half second pause between shots and also it needs a good firm trigger pull, something my just 7 year old son can't always manage yet. Need to do some more testing before I feel confident with it though.

Still think the manually operated guns like the Maverick and Alpha Trooper are better than the noisy battery powered Barricade though.

Planning to get a CS-35 Raider soon, for the 35rd drum.

Just ordered an 18rd Stampede magazine off ebay as well :)

Would like to get a few more of the 18rd Alpha Trooper drums.

Anybody know a source of holsters for Mavericks?

Graham

Yes, the Barricade is as stealthy as a vacuum cleaner, but it gets the job done if you're gonna do a hit-and-run tactic - especially when dual-wielding.

As for holsters, you can use DSLR camera holster bags - though they cost more than the Barricade,

Yes, the Barricade is as stealthy as a vacuum cleaner, but it gets the job done if you're gonna do a hit-and-run tactic - especially when dual-wielding.

As for holsters, you can use DSLR camera holster bags - though they cost more than the Barricade,

Surprised nobody is making some dedicated Kydex belt holsters for the Maverick.

Graham