Like I said, nothing too fancy, but nicer than the HPs Staples and Best Buy sell at around the same price. Again, no issues with it.

For that matter, I have an Asus motherboard in my desktop. Only minor issue was that I had a little trouble getting it to recognize the SATA 3.0 drive I wanted to use as the primary boot drive. The Asus DVD drive I put in it crapped out in just under a year, though. Replaced it with a Samsung.

Nicer than the Staples and Best Buy models and a much better value, obviously. I see the only advantage to buying at Staples or Best (Worst) Buy is being able to return it ASAP if there's a problem. I don't know how people deal with returning big screen tv's and all of that to Amazon and wherever else when there's a problem.

Another consideration is size-I'm pretty sure all of the laptops I'm looking at are monster machines that I bet I'll have trouble finding a bag for also. Personally, I prefer the higher power and lower costs associated with desktops over similar laptops, but being able to lug a PC/blu-ray player around is nice.

They're not as consumer friendly as Newegg. Trying to get info out of them for a product I wanted to buy was like pulling new teeth out. If you can avoid customer service, great. Otherwise, they're no better or worst than any other retailer. Another good thing is I can get gift certificates for TigerDirect.

Hmmmm....well to me that's pretty much a deal breaker. I'll have to stick with the egg...

Edited by myk

Nicer than the Staples and Best Buy models and a much better value, obviously. I see the only advantage to buying at Staples or Best (Worst) Buy is being able to return it ASAP if there's a problem. I don't know how people deal with returning big screen tv's and all of that to Amazon and wherever else when there's a problem.

I bought my wife's laptop at the Microsoft Store online, of all places. But mine actually came from Best Buy. One key benefit... no-interest financing.

Another consideration is size-I'm pretty sure all of the laptops I'm looking at are monster machines that I bet I'll have trouble finding a bag for also. Personally, I prefer the higher power and lower costs associated with desktops over similar laptops, but being able to lug a PC/blu-ray player around is nice.

That was a problem with my laptop. I wound up ordering a Targus XL backpack. Ironically, I could probably fit two or three laptops into it with room for accessories... but I really like the bag. It's been useful.

I've had problems with the HDDs in my asus as well. Luckily I live really close to their repair center and it's never taken more than a couple days to get them swapped out. Last time they gave me a new battery as well for the trouble.

When/if these current drives die, I'll probably just throw in some SSDs and call it a day as the laptop is now out of warranty.

I like my HP laptop. :unsure: I bought it off ebay and it was pretty cheap. I also just got a Swiss Gear backpack to carry it around in. It's nice.

Im happy with mine too, AFTER I reloaded windows and got rid of all the bloatware

I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 that's in the shop right now for the following upgrades:

• Conversion from 8GB SSD to 160GB SATA
  • RAM upgrade from 1GB to 1.5GB (since the motherboard can't go beyond 2GB, especially with 512MB built in)
  • Replace faulty 3-cell battery with new 6-cell battery

Once the upgrades are done, it will be my Ubuntu unit.

Edited by areaseven

For PC games is it better to buy a physical copy or digital through steam, origin etc?

I'm old fashion but I prefer a physical copy since downloading can take forever and I don't want x-GB installation files taking room on my hard drives.

Also reinstalling dell drivers can be a slight pain.

Yep, especially when you're trying to figure out what a component is from the list of drivers.

Im happy with mine too, AFTER I reloaded windows and got rid of all the bloatware

Is reloading the OS the only way to get rid of the bloatware?

Is reloading the OS the only way to get rid of the bloatware?

Ive used ccleaner, regedit, etc... before, but nothing gets it back to factory specs like a reload. Seems to be always cleaner and faster

Ive used ccleaner, regedit, etc... before, but nothing gets it back to factory specs like a reload. Seems to be always cleaner and faster

Being a laptop are there any other concerns you have to take into account when reinstalling the OS, or is it just a reformat and load? Isn't some of the preinstalled software necessary to run some of the laptop's crucial functions? How do you tell what to reinstall and what to discard?

Being a laptop are there any other concerns you have to take into account when reinstalling the OS, or is it just a reformat and load? Isn't some of the preinstalled software necessary to run some of the laptop's crucial functions? How do you tell what to reinstall and what to discard?

Unless there is some sort of special key set on the unit like on some of the Asus or Toshiba models for quick boot or power boost, no. A clean install will work just fine. Otherwise, you need to find those drivers from the manufacturer and reinstall them later anyway.

So my Mac mini (2011) up and decided to stop displaying video from the mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port to the monitor it's been hooked up to bascially since I bought it. It's not the monitor or the vga cable; I just hooked my Windows 8 test box up to it without issue. The Mac has no trouble outputting video over HDMI to a different monitor. It's either the Mac, or the mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter. If I had another adapter, I'd test that, but it's all I got. Anyone know how I might troubleshoot this?

It's worth noting that I downloaded an OS X update Saturday. That was the last time I was sure it was working.

Oh, and when I open the Displays option in System Preferences, the Mac detects two monitors, and the light on the monitor isn't blinking or showing a "no signal" message, so something's getting through, but the image on that monitor is all black.

For PC games is it better to buy a physical copy or digital through steam, origin etc?

Goo gone worked. The stuff I used previously was goo off.

Also reinstalling dell drivers can be a slight pain.

If it's a title you wish to purchase that has a nice physical look and extras that you are interested in, would not hurt to buy said product, and it's a nice little bit of protection if for some reason unexplained reason, steam is well... steamed out, or you have no internet connection to download said product to play.

However, digital purchase/downloads are not bad if you wish to purchase titles that have gone down during the weekly sale of almost $5.00 or below, or over 70% off.

Unless there is some sort of special key set on the unit like on some of the Asus or Toshiba models for quick boot or power boost, no. A clean install will work just fine. Otherwise, you need to find those drivers from the manufacturer and reinstall them later anyway.

I'm looking to get a Toshiba, lol. But you're right-shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

As for games without physical copies, some Steam games won't work unless you're connected to the intrawebs, whether you have a hard copy of the game or not, like the latest Alien Vs Predator for example. There are ways around that but for the most part it seems that internet connectivity is more important than actual physical copies; I say boo, to that...

Edited by myk

Any Ubuntu users here? I've been running 11.10 on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 for over a week now. As the netbook is four years old, it is obviously slower than newer computers, but it runs considerably faster than it did when it had Windows XP on it. Too bad Ubuntu is a battery guzzler, though.

Any Ubuntu users here? I've been running 11.10 on my Acer Aspire One ZG5 for over a week now. As the netbook is four years old, it is obviously slower than newer computers, but it runs considerably faster than it did when it had Windows XP on it. Too bad Ubuntu is a battery guzzler, though.

Yes, with the caveat that I don't run it on either of the computers I use regularly (those being a Windows 7 gaming rig and a Mac mini with Lion). I have Ubuntu on my wife's old laptop, an Acer Aspire that originally shipped with Vista. I think I upgraded it to 11.10, because I remember there being a GNOME upgrade.

I used to be a Kubuntu fan, until they switched to KDE 4 (which I never got on board with). I got along with GNOME ok, although I can't stand Unity. First thing after installing Ubuntu was "sudo apt-get gnome" and switching to "Ubuntu Classic". Second thing I did was remove the bottom panel entirely and replace it with a Docky dock. The result is something a little OSX-ish, but it works well.

The changes in Ubuntu kind of make me want to try another distro, like Mint. But getting wifi working on that laptop was a colossal pain. Maybe I'll try it on a desktop when I'm done playing with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (which I'm not loving).

As long as I'm talking about my computers, I found a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable in one of my closets. I used it to hook my Windows 7 computer up to the 27" monitor through it's HDMI input (previously, I was using DVI on the computer to DVI on the monitor, which I prefer in case I want to use that monitor for something else, like a PS3, temporarily). Then I used an HDMI to DVI adapter that came with my Mac mini to hook back up to the 22" monitor on it's DVI input, and it works fine.

To recap, I hooked different computer up to the 22" monitor via a VGA cable, and it worked. So the problem is either the mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter, or the Mac itself. I'm hoping it's the adapter; it's a Dynex brand, not the official Apple one. I'm a little too lazy to try it on the Mac mini upstairs.

If it turns out to be the Mac, I guess I'd have to take it to the Geniuses. If it turns out to be the adapter, I doubt I'll buy a new one. I'll either pick up another DVI cable, or I've been meaning to get a larger monitor for the Mac anyway, in which case I'll leave everything hooked up the way I have it until I get that monitor. Then I'll go HDMI on the Mac to HDMI on the new monitor, and put the DVI cable back on the Windows box.

Is ubuntu a operating system?

Is ubuntu a operating system?

<_< I sense a lack of google-fu and wiki-fu.

Let me save you the trouble. Ubuntu is one of many Linux OS distributions. Unlike Microsoft's Windows or Apple's Mac OS, where a single company is resonpsible for releasing an OS, Linux is a free and open-source (meaning the source code, is avaliable on the webs). Since the code is available for free, many individuals and groups have created their own modifications or distribution of the Linux OS. They all use the same basic core Linux OS, but each have their own modifications (hardware and software support, software packages, user interface, etc.). So no, it's not an operating system, but a modified version of an operating system.

Hey Guys, I have a few questions about getting a new laptop and couldn't think of a better place to ask. After a 10 year delay I am finally getting my artwork projects off the ground and hopefully they will go somewhere beyond just being a hobby or a wasted skill. As of now I have a 4 year old DELL PC that has been problematic for sometime, my brother has insisted that I get a Mac book pro and nothing else as he put it, Macs are the best and the parts are superior to any other company, especially at running multimedia programs like Adobe, etc.

Yet talking to some other people I know they've mentioned TOSHIBA as a good brand and essentially just as good without the HIGH Apple Mac price tag. I don't mind spending the extra money is the MAC is the crap, but if a Toshiba is just as good, a better price, and has the same CORE I7 processor, has a ton or memory & speed what do guys think, opinions welcomed?

Also I plan on keeping my 22" DELL monitor, even for a few years old its still a great LCD flat screen, B))

It depends on what you (or your brother) mean by good.

If you mean "how likely is my hardware to crap the bed?", many manufacturers source their parts from the same place, and statistically ALL major brands of laptops, Apple included, have issues requiring repairs at about 1 in every 5 units. Apple fans can maybe claim that they get better support, friendlier service, or an all-around better experience getting their computer repaired, but anyone claiming that Apple hardware is inherently of higher quality is a victim of Apple's Reality Distortion Field.

The Apple tax, despite Macworld's attempts to prove otherwise, is also a real thing. You can definitely get a similarly-specced Windows laptop for less than the cost of a Macbook Pro.

Here's where things get sketchier. Which OS you prefer is highly subjective. I use a custom-built Windows 7 PC and a Mac mini almost equally. I tend to use the Windows box more for gaming and power-user stuff, and I use the Mac more for surfing the net and Twitter. If push came to shove, I'd probably say I could give up the Mac before I could give up Windows, but that's largely because I'm big into PC gaming. Both OSes have their strengths, though.

Which brings us to this... while scanners and Wacom tablets and Photoshop and many other tools of the trade work on both Windows and Macs, it is a fact that Macs are much more dominant among professional and semi-pro artists.

I guess, in summary, both brands are equally imperfect, you can probably do what you want with either, and it's really a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for you input mikeszekely, you summed it up perfectly with "Apple's Reality Distortion Field" as sometimes I only hear if its not APPLE then your frakked and my inner voice has told me that doesn't seem right.

Again not trying to be cheap on my purchase just would rather spend that saved money on Art programs and supplies. I must admit that when it comes to an OS, I do prefer Windows and PC gaming is one of my many guilty pleasures (COD, MOH, etc.) If I did not go the apple route, any suggestions of Laptops you would consider??

Thanks guys!!

Thanks for you input mikeszekely, you summed it up perfectly with "Apple's Reality Distortion Field" as sometimes I only hear if its not APPLE then your frakked and my inner voice has told me that doesn't seem right.

Again not trying to be cheap on my purchase just would rather spend that saved money on Art programs and supplies. I must admit that when it comes to an OS, I do prefer Windows and PC gaming is one of my many guilty pleasures (COD, MOH, etc.) If I did not go the apple route, any suggestions of Laptops you would consider??

Thanks guys!!

I'm sure everyone here has had good and bad experiences with one brand or another, and like I said, they have similar failure rates. The best advice I can offer is, if at all possible, see the laptop in person. Even though they get internals from the same suppliers, they can often have very different exteriors, so personal tastes in aesthetics and comfort can be a big factor. Personally, I don't care for Dell; their computers strike me as thick. Likewise, I'm not a fan of the keyboards on most Acers. HP's G-series computers look a little cheap, but their DV-series laptops are pretty nice. But I usually go with Asus, because I love their keyboards.

Pre-installed software is another thing to look at... especially since I have a tendency to remove almost all of it. It mainly falls into two camps, manufacturer software and third-party software. Acer and Toshiba tend to have the most manufacturer software, and I think Toshiba's is the worst. HP tends to have more third-party stuff, like Skype, Zinio, and the like. They can always be removed, but the more of it there is (that you don't find useful, anyway... I here some people like Skype, after all), the more time you'll spend uninstalling.

it is a fact that Macs are much more dominant among professional and semi-pro artists.

And I honestly can't think of a reason why that is. There's really nothing a professional artist would want to do on a Mac that they couldn't do on a PC just as well. Any time I've ask someone why they use Mac's I've never gotten a better answer than "that's what I've always used", "that's what everyone else uses" or some spiel about how macs are the best engineer computers in the world that never break, never crash.

And I honestly can't think of a reason why that is. There's really nothing a professional artist would want to do on a Mac that they couldn't do on a PC just as well. Any time I've ask someone why they use Mac's I've never gotten a better answer than "that's what I've always used", "that's what everyone else uses" or some spiel about how macs are the best engineer computers in the world that never break, never crash.

Macs have, traditionally (and still), focused on graphics, colors, and fonts. Because they (traditionally) controlled their own hardware, hence, software drivers, they could really push the limits on the hardware. The Mac OS graphics APIs had much more care and maturing than other OSs which had to code for the general case and leaving the software drivers to the manufacturers. Eventually, Microsoft and hardware companies caught up, but by that time, Mac became synonimous with graphical design and has remained the "standard" for it. Apple has played more with the graphics APIs than others so you do have better color accuracy, crisper fonts, blah blah blah, etc.. That being said, a normal person will not be able to tell the difference and most people probably won't be able to tell the difference.

My opinion is as long as the laptop has dedicated graphics, you'll be fine with any laptop. And since you have a larger monitor already, even better. Just don't do any design work on a puny 15" or 17" laptop screen.

Out of curiosity... Has anyone ever RMA'd anything to Asus before, particularly motherboards? Cause I just checked my RMA status on their website and they just gave me a 1-day turnaround saying my mobo is "repaired" and no other details whatsoever... Which kinda strikes me as odd. Not to mention, their canned email response says " approximately 10 business days"...

Out of curiosity... Has anyone ever RMA'd anything to Asus before, particularly motherboards? Cause I just checked my RMA status on their website and they just gave me a 1-day turnaround saying my mobo is "repaired" and no other details whatsoever... Which kinda strikes me as odd. Not to mention, their canned email response says " approximately 10 business days"...

The only Asus anything I've had that's failed on me was a DVD drive, and rather than RMA it I just replaced it.

I have, I've dropped my laptop off a couple of times and the turn around was 1 or 2 business days everytime.

I have, I've dropped my laptop off a couple of times and the turn around was 1 or 2 business days everytime.

Neato, that eases my worries a bit after reading those (old) negative stories about their support. Though it would've been nice if they told me what was exactly wrong with it... That motherboard gave me the most frustrating and oddest problems I have ever dealt with...