Thanks all you guys for your help, I'm pretty much set, got the tv, refurnishing the area and waiting for parts to arrive from newegg.com

just one more dumb question, I'll be hooking up the pc to the LED TV via HDMI from the vidcard, sooo....will the HDMI carry audio/video or just high quality video since it's coming from the vidcard only... hehehe :wacko::blink:

Just got a message I've never seen before---Avast asked if it could send a file back to Avast HQ or whatever for analysis, as it had found a suspicious file using heuristics. It wouldn't show me the full file name, the only options were to delete or ignore. (I chose delete of course). Based on what I could see, it was in the IE cache, possible a cookie, and "ebayisapi" was part of the name.

Just got a message I've never seen before---Avast asked if it could send a file back to Avast HQ or whatever for analysis, as it had found a suspicious file using heuristics. It wouldn't show me the full file name, the only options were to delete or ignore. (I chose delete of course). Based on what I could see, it was in the IE cache, possible a cookie, and "ebayisapi" was part of the name.

ebayisapi.dll?

Cuz that's a ebay script. Like so: https://scgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RegisterEnterInfo

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/39151-firefox-1-5-ebay-ebayisapi-dll.html

By chance, are you using a proxy server? In Internet Explorer, Tools->Internet Options->"Connections" tab-> look for "LAN Settings"-> look for "Proxy Server".

Ideally, "Use proxy server for your LAN" should be unchecked (unless this is a work environment and forced to use it by your workplace) and everything in this area should be grayed out. If this area is filled in and and this is not a workplace computer, then we might have a problem.

just one more dumb question, I'll be hooking up the pc to the LED TV via HDMI from the vidcard, sooo....will the HDMI carry audio/video or just high quality video since it's coming from the vidcard only... hehehe :wacko::blink:

That's dependent on the card. Many of the newer ones do, but I can't say for sure. You should be able to check on the manufacturer's site though.

Thanks all you guys for your help, I'm pretty much set, got the tv, refurnishing the area and waiting for parts to arrive from newegg.com

Unless you somehow get a super old card, it'll do sound too. If not, you can get an external USB sound card from creative for less than $50 with optical support.

The past few times Adobe reader etc has updated, it seems to want to do it individually for each user. How/why? I mean, if I click "OK" on the admin account, and it updates---shouldn't that update it for the whole PC? But no, each account itself seems to require it. (that, or it just coincidentally updates during one of the few times another user account is being used)

The past few times Adobe reader etc has updated, it seems to want to do it individually for each user. How/why? I mean, if I click "OK" on the admin account, and it updates---shouldn't that update it for the whole PC? But no, each account itself seems to require it. (that, or it just coincidentally updates during one of the few times another user account is being used)

Considering it's Acrobat Reader and not Acrobat Pro, have you tried to just uninstall the whole thing and download a newer version?

I don't think we have a cell phone thread, so here goes:

Is there a phone out there, that can initiate a new text message (as opposed to reply to one) with less than a dozen key presses? My current phone, as well as pretty much every one I try, goes like this:

Select new message.

Select *text* message. (as opposed to video, etc)

Select "add".

Select "from contacts".

Mark the people you want to send it to. (99.99% of the time, it's just one person, and is my main source of annoyance).

Then select "done".

Then "ok".

NOW you are ready to actually start typing. Is there any phone/carrier combo out there, where there's like a one button option for "start a new text message and send it to one person from my contacts list"----and it pretty much just goes straight to my contacts list, I select them by hitting "ok" and then I can go straight to typing.

Frankly, if they were video games, cell phones would get a 0.0 in gui/menu, for having uber-common things like "new text to someone" require layer after layer of menus, and forcing you to go through rarely-used options and sub-menus even when you're not using them. (like the ability to select multiple people to send the text too, or "video+voice" messages).

Even with a shortcut straight to "new text message", 90% of the time is still wasted by the very clunky "who to send it to" interface. And really, why can't I just manually type in "6" and it'll accept that as "speed dial #6". Instead I have to go through my contacts, find #6, mark it, add it, then hit "ok" then "done". Yeesh.

I don't think we have a cell phone thread, so here goes:

Is there a phone out there, that can initiate a new text message (as opposed to reply to one) with less than a dozen key presses? My current phone, as well as pretty much every one I try, goes like this:

Have you looked at a Android-based phone or an iPhone? :unsure:

I'm not going to pay that much initially, plus the $30+ extra month, to save a few button presses. That'd be like paying extra for a different font or something. It should be minor software revision, it's not physically a phone design thing. (they just all seem to be programmed that way)

(which leads to another issue---there are very few non-smart QWERTY phones nowadays, and even fewer with decent cameras---nearly every "upgrade" phone out there for me has a WORSE camera---those that equal or surpass, require data plans etc--even if they utterly suck at browsing and no sane person would attempt to actually use them to browse)

Is there any phone/carrier combo out there, where there's like a one button option for "start a new text message and send it to one person from my contacts list"----and it pretty much just goes straight to my contacts list, I select them by hitting "ok" and then I can go straight to typing.

To start a new text message is only two button presses on my crappy old Moto Razr. Of course, that thing's a turd in almost all other areas, so it's not something I would recommend... if they're even still selling it. ^^;

Edited by Seto Kaiba

lol I remember when the RAZR was the sh!t when it just came out, cost a fracking fortune too even on contract with Cingular wireless (now AT&T). Two years later they cost $0 with contract lol....

Managed to skip over the whole RAZR shebang, but my last non-smartphone was a KRZR. While I don't miss the crappy Verizon software or the cheap construction, I actually really liked the design. It had a nice aesthetic.

I'm not going to pay that much initially, plus the $30+ extra month, to save a few button presses. That'd be like paying extra for a different font or something. It should be minor software revision, it's not physically a phone design thing. (they just all seem to be programmed that way)

Well...they're called dumb-phones... :unsure::lol: So the LG or Samsung phones aren't fitting your bill?

(which leads to another issue---there are very few non-smart QWERTY phones nowadays, and even fewer with decent cameras---nearly every "upgrade" phone out there for me has a WORSE camera---those that equal or surpass, require data plans etc--even if they utterly suck at browsing and no sane person would attempt to actually use them to browse)

Tell that to the 18% of Crackberry users or the 41% Symbian users... What can I say, smartphones are growing very rapidly.

LG and Samsung---nope. They either have notably inferior cameras, or are now classed as "smartphones" and require extra $$$ per month. (even if they are not even 1% more capable than my current phone). And they all have a long rigamarole to initiate a new text (as described above).

As for smart phones---yes, I'd like one, but not enough to pay the extra money for one at the moment. Plus, I'm not fond of touch screens---they are both fragile (speaking from experience) and I'm the type of person that the fingerprints would bug me and I'd spend 3 hours a week wiping the screen...

LG and Samsung---nope. They either have notably inferior cameras, or are now classed as "smartphones" and require extra $$$ per month. (even if they are not even 1% more capable than my current phone). And they all have a long rigamarole to initiate a new text (as described above).

As for smart phones---yes, I'd like one, but not enough to pay the extra money for one at the moment. Plus, I'm not fond of touch screens---they are both fragile (speaking from experience) and I'm the type of person that the fingerprints would bug me and I'd spend 3 hours a week wiping the screen...

who's going to be your carrier? sounds like you need to get a blackberry with t-mobile, if you don't mind the coverage. LG has never made any phone that will hold up.

Verizon. (not really my choice, but it's a long story and not going to change any time soon)

Well there you go. Does Verizon still replace the manufacturer's software with their own crappy software?

My wife is kind of like you... she really just wants a phone that can text. She doesn't want to pay for the mandatory data plans Verizon puts on every smartphone, so she's been using a first-gen LG Chocolate for just about four years now. Whenever she looks at the Verizon store at their selection of dumbphones, she concludes that all of them suck and that she doesn't want any.

Kind of works for me... seems I want a new smartphone every year, so I wind up using her upgrades as well as my own.

lol I remember when the RAZR was the sh!t when it just came out, cost a fracking fortune too even on contract with Cingular wireless (now AT&T). Two years later they cost $0 with contract lol....

Yeah... I only got mine because it was literally the lowest-end phone my wireless carrier offered, and I just didn't want to blow a bunch of money on a phone I can't even take into work half the time because the guys in charge of the design studio banned anything with a camera built in.

Well there you go. Does Verizon still replace the manufacturer's software with their own crappy software?

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. It looks like David's kind of screwed comin' and goin', since no matter what he gets, it's odds-on they'll have their own carrier-specific firmware installed that's a hell of a lot less intuitive than what you'd get otherwise. Depending on the phone, he could possibly install cracked firmware, but that would almost certainly void his phone's warranty and/or land him in trouble with the carrier later.

I just sidestepped from my Nokia N97 to a Nokia N900 (couldn't pass up the deal for $350 unlocked/unbranded). Great geek phone and completely unlocked (includes a shell out of the box). Overclock by recompiling your kernel, etc. Definitely not as complete of a "phone" as the N97. Best web browser.evAr. Better than my iPhone browser, better than the Droid browsers, etc. Great web and email platform, but not as good as at Social Networking or Messaging as the N97, but same Carl Zeiss 5mp cam with dual LED flesh and external lens cover (pretty standard Nokia fare since the N95 in 2007).

Funny part is that the N900 on T-Mo HSPA is faster than my DSL. I get about 3.1M down and 1.7M up. Really gotta upgrade to the 20M/5M FIOS).

Is there any considerable difference between Windows 7 64-bit Home basic vs premium for gaming?

Yes. Basic only allows for 8GB of RAM and 1 physical CPU while Premium allows for 16GB of RAM and 2 physical CPUs. While CPU support is not a problem, being limited to 16GB of RAM can be a problem in the future. Otherwise, both are perfectly fine for gaming.

Yes. Basic only allows for 8GB of RAM and 1 physical CPU while Premium allows for 16GB of RAM and 2 physical CPUs. While CPU support is not a problem, being limited to 16GB of RAM can be a problem in the future. Otherwise, both are perfectly fine for gaming.

Wow, I'm planning on using 6GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 16GB seems a bit of an overkill for me, hahaha

thanks a lot, guess I'll stay with home basic, save me about 30bucks for a cheap dinner, hahaha :lol:

Edited by Valkyrie addict

To start a new text message is only two button presses on my crappy old Moto Razr. Of course, that thing's a turd in almost all other areas, so it's not something I would recommend... if they're even still selling it. ^^;

Ha, I just replaced my old cheap Nokia AT&T freebie phone for a used, cheapo Motorla Razr. Can't believe it was hot so many years ago, speakerphone is wonky and battery drains fast for a basic phone. But heck, it's way better than my old Nokia 6555 which shut off or killed calls anytime it wanted to.

Been debating Iphone 4 or Android and only thing keeping me back is data plan rates. Like the fact you can tether Android phones to hook it up to a laptop on the go.

Wow, I'm planning on using 6GB of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 16GB seems a bit of an overkill for me, hahaha

thanks a lot, guess I'll stay with home basic, save me about 30bucks for a cheap dinner, hahaha :lol:

what cpu are you going for? 6GB of DDR3 is enough, but get faster one is not a bad idea. i think home basic is missing the media center thing, right?? better get the premium... never use win7 home before though. only ultimate has the ms multi language pack, tried to upgrade one of mine pc from professional to ultimate and the upgrade was about the same as buying a ultimate retail copy. be sure the mb has X58 chip set for your ddr3s.

Ha, I just replaced my old cheap Nokia AT&T freebie phone for a used, cheapo Motorla Razr. Can't believe it was hot so many years ago, speakerphone is wonky and battery drains fast for a basic phone. But heck, it's way better than my old Nokia 6555 which shut off or killed calls anytime it wanted to.

Been debating Iphone 4 or Android and only thing keeping me back is data plan rates. Like the fact you can tether Android phones to hook it up to a laptop on the go.

which carrier? seen android galaxy, really good device but big because of the screen, screen res. not as high as iphone 4 but you won't notice, and it's cheaper. but if you don't consider yourself a techie, iphone would be easier to maintain. I do hate the way apple does thing though.

iphone tethering is coming or has come?? it's a different plan, at&t hot spots are free to connect if you have at&t phone data plan or dsl anyway.

phone data plans are not design for full internet browsing. go to the store and see which one you like, bestbuy seems to give discount to everyone.

At least wait until September, when Apple will supposedly have another solution for IP4. I'd probably say wait till December/January when they usually do a memory bump, but still...

what cpu are you going for? 6GB of DDR3 is enough, but get faster one is not a bad idea. i think home basic is missing the media center thing, right?? better get the premium... never use win7 home before though. only ultimate has the ms multi language pack, tried to upgrade one of mine pc from professional to ultimate and the upgrade was about the same as buying a ultimate retail copy. be sure the mb has X58 chip set for your ddr3s.

Home Basic is only available in a few countries and has restricted activation. If not in one of those countries it's likely it won't work at all. Home Premium has Media Center.

I seriously doubt DDR3 will last long enough as an architecture to need/warrant 10+ gigs before DDR4 or something else hits the market. Not to mention that Windows 7 is a stopgap for the other OS MS plans to release within the next 3 years.

Also, if upgrading any version of Windows 7, use the anytime upgrade. It's a hell of a lot cheaper. You don't get the discs but for most people that's really not important.

Edited by Chewie

Home Basic is only available in a few countries and has restricted activation. If not in one of those countries it's likely it won't work at all. Home Premium has Media Center.

Unless the OP needs Media Center, I don't think it will be much of a problem if he qualifies for Home Basic.

which carrier? seen android galaxy, really good device but big because of the screen, screen res. not as high as iphone 4 but you won't notice, and it's cheaper. but if you don't consider yourself a techie, iphone would be easier to maintain. I do hate the way apple does thing though.

iphone tethering is coming or has come?? it's a different plan, at&t hot spots are free to connect if you have at&t phone data plan or dsl anyway.

phone data plans are not design for full internet browsing. go to the store and see which one you like, bestbuy seems to give discount to everyone.

iPhone does have tethering enabled. But you will be subject to a data plan for it.

You can certainly risk purchasing an iPhone4, but I advise undergoing mandatory phone grabbing technique training to ensure that you get the best possible reception! Like Comrade Jobs said... "just don't hold it that way." :lol:

Meh. Just use some duct tape. :lol: