1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

On the other hand, I'd love to see them in a Surface-esque 2-in-1.

There was the HP Envy x360 2-in-1 that released a couple months ago, which featured the mobile equivalent of these chips (R7 2700U, 4-core/8-thread, Vega 10). It also performed pretty well, though it was hampered by the Envy itself, which had a subpar battery, screen, and cooling.

If the 2400G or 2700U were in a beefy chassis, I could see them really being able to stretch their legs.

• 1 month later...

Home NAS question.

For anyone using a QNAP or Synology NAS, what's been your experience with these devices? While I'm 95% sure which device I want and what size drives I want, I want to know what/how your experience with these devices has been in general. How long have you had one? What's your drive failure rate? Gripes. Positives where you’re glad you went this route. 

Thanks. 

using Synology DS413  a bit over 5 years. 1 drive (disk#2, 2 years on previous NAS, a DS211) failed after 2 years on the DS413 (so, 4 yrs service life). rebuild went  without a hitch.

2nd drive (disk#1, also from previous NAS) went on the 3rd year of the DS413 (5 yrs service life). again, rebuild was seamless.

then on the 5th year of the DS413, one of the original drives of the DS413 (disk#4) failed after 5 yrs service, then during the rebuild, another drive, disk#2 which i replaced 3 yrs earlier, developed bad sectors that couldn't be read and caused the volume rebuild to fail. 

had i been using RAID6 (double fault tolerance), which was one of the options presented to me during setup, the rebuild would've still completed. but the extra capacity of my 2 newer drives (5 TB each) would've gone to waste. volume size would just be 2 x 3TB (older drives) = 6TB

but i got greedy and chose SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) which optimized volume size to ~8TB  at the start , and growing to ~12TB as i replaced the smaller drives to the same capacity as the bigger drives. SHR only has single fault tolerance. fortunately i was still able to access the NAS and backed up to a bunch of portable drives. in the end, less than 10GB was lost due to the unreadable bad sectors. i still haven't gotten around to rebuilding my NAS since i got super busy, and i figured i should just upgrade to a DS418play this summer.

what i learned: go for double fault tolerance especially when using very big drives. if at all possible, resist the temptation of >6TB drives. they'll take forever to rebuild and will really test your luck, even with double fault tolerance. might be better just getting a second NAS unit for expansion.

Thanks.

I initially started spec'ing out at 10TB drives but the price x4 of those caused several spit-takes which caused me to go to 8TB, then stopping at 6TB.

Concerning SHR/RAID-5, I was initially planning on that but, yeah, maybe SHR-2/RAID-6 might be the safer route.

• 1 month later...

So my mother breaks her phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) yesterday by dropping it. I drop it off at a computer repair place because I can't so much as remove the backplate to get at the internals, give her mine (LG G3) to use for this afternoon.

Thunderstorm comes in, she's out in the yard with a nephew grilling and when the downpour starts they make a mad dash inside. Later, I ask where my phone is, and she swears she had it in her sweater pocket. I call my phone and, sure enough, I hear the ringtone out in the darkness amongst the grass. It had taken an entire thunderstorm and was still totally functional. I rib my mom about managing to break two phones in two days, but I can tell she feels guilty about it because she tries a bit too hard to give me "advice" about drying it off. Aw, mom. It's okay, I got this.

On a related note, I'm amazed this phone was able to survive all that without just frying itself. The Otterbox case it was in managed - somehow - to keep water away from the backplate, and the backplate itself managed to keep water out of the internals. And this phone isn't designed to be water resistant. You can take off that backplate with your fingers.

Even the charging ports and other points of entry were remarkably watertight. I was blown away.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:55 AM, azrael said:

Home NAS question.

For anyone using a QNAP or Synology NAS, what's been your experience with these devices? While I'm 95% sure which device I want and what size drives I want, I want to know what/how your experience with these devices has been in general. How long have you had one? What's your drive failure rate? Gripes. Positives where you’re glad you went this route. 

Thanks. 

I don't have one, but I like QNAP better because their designs look like the expansion box for my old TI computer.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

So my mother breaks her phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) yesterday by dropping it. I drop it off at a computer repair place because I can't so much as remove the backplate to get at the internals, give her mine (LG G3) to use for this afternoon.

Thunderstorm comes in, she's out in the yard with a nephew grilling and when the downpour starts they make a mad dash inside. Later, I ask where my phone is, and she swears she had it in her sweater pocket. I call my phone and, sure enough, I hear the ringtone out in the darkness amongst the grass. It had taken an entire thunderstorm and was still totally functional. I rib my mom about managing to break two phones in two days, but I can tell she feels guilty about it because she tries a bit too hard to give me "advice" about drying it off. Aw, mom. It's okay, I got this.

On a related note, I'm amazed this phone was able to survive all that without just frying itself. The Otterbox case it was in managed - somehow - to keep water away from the backplate, and the backplate itself managed to keep water out of the internals. And this phone isn't designed to be water resistant. You can take off that backplate with your fingers.

Even the charging ports and other points of entry were remarkably watertight. I was blown away.

LG makes good hardware; I used to have a V20.  I think their biggest problem is that Samsung has managed to position themselves as the brand if you don't want an iPhone, and with the push to minimize bezels it's harder to draw attention to your hardware based on looks.  It's too hard to make a phone stand out and give a minimally-informed user an incentive to pick one brand over another or any brand over Apple and Samsung.

Shame, too.  The G7 ThinQ looks pretty nice.

16 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

LG makes good hardware; I used to have a V20. 

I've only owned one LG phone, and it died in a week or two.

In fairness, it was also the cheapest phone available. It was a crap phone, but so was every phone at that price point. I only got it because my old one had just broken and I felt the need to be in immediate contact due to other events.

I also didn't pay for it. I'd ordered online for instore pickup, and there was apparently confusion at the store.

And while I was trying to figure out what to do about the e-mail that said "you never picked your phone up, so we're refunding your money" the phone died. Which made the decision a lot easier.

(I don't even know how you explain that. "Hi, I bought this phone and you refunded my money because I never picked it up, but I DID pick it up. But then it died. So can you charge my card for the phone since I DID buy it, but then refund it since it is kinda broken shiznit? Thanks.")

Edited by JB0

Hey, I am looking to get a new pc my i7-2600 and amd 6700 video card are aging like crazy (and I have no usb 3 which is driving me nuts).

I want at least a i7-8700 and gtx 1070 (my monitor is a old as the computer and 32" 4k is getting cheaper).  I am a gamer but my computer struggles with new games.

Do I need a sound card (I have heard onboard sound is not great), my Klipsch Ultra 5.1 speakers deserve great sound.

Dell or build myself which i have done before.

$1500-1600 to spend on it. 

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

6 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Hey, I am looking to get a new pc my i7-2600 and amd 6700 video card are aging like crazy (and I have no usb 3 which is driving me nuts).

I want at least a i7-8700 and gtx 1070 (my monitor is a old as the computer and 32" 4k is getting cheaper).  I am a gamer but my computer struggles with new games.

Do I need a sound card (I have heard onboard sound is not great), my Klipsch Ultra 5.1 speakers deserve great sound.

Thanks for any advice.

I've heard that a good sound card can make a difference, but I'm no audiophile and I've been fairly content with onboard sound, as long as it supported 5.1/7.1 setups.

And I vote build your own.  Every now and again I see a good price on a prebuilt (did you know Walmart sells Omen desktops?), but after years doing computer repair I don't trust the prebuilt stuff to have standard mobos/PSUs/switches or cases with enough room to easily repair or upgrade.

A lot of the things a sound card can do, a USB 

1 hour ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Is this going to be solely a gaming PC? If not, I'd recommend going for a Ryzen 7 for the extra 2 cores. The gaming performance of the 2000 series chips don't lag very far behind their Intel equivalents (~5-10% performance dip) whereas their productivity is across the board significantly greater.

If you're an audiophile, a sound card (which is fairly rare) isn't a bad investment, but neither is an external DAC/amp, and the latter combo is more versatile as well, since you're not restricted to a single audio source.

Thanks for any advice.

Apparently, prebuilt PCs are fairly comparable to DIY projects nowadays (within reason, of course), so... it's up to you. If there's a Dell out there decked out the way you want it for a decent price, then have at it. The biggest thing you'll miss out on with a prebuilt PC, methinks, is aesthetics.

Edited by kajnrig

13 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Is this going to be solely a gaming PC? If not, I'd recommend going for a Ryzen 7 for the extra 2 cores. The gaming performance of the 2000 series chips don't lag very far behind their Intel equivalents (~5-10% performance dip) whereas their productivity is across the board significantly greater.

If you're an audiophile, a sound card (which is fairly rare) isn't a bad investment, but neither is an external DAC/amp, and the latter combo is more versatile as well, since you're not restricted to a single audio source.

Apparently, prebuilt PCs are fairly comparable to DIY projects nowadays (within reason, of course), so... it's up to you. If there's a Dell out there decked out the way you want it for a decent price, then have at it. The biggest thing you'll miss out on with a prebuilt PC, methinks, is aesthetics.

I will also being doing photo and some video editing.

My problem with dell is there PSus are not great and I would get a hard drive I would never use.  I have a Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD and a HGST 4tb HDD ready to go.  I would like to get a 8TB before I build it.

I have had problems with AMD cpus in the past so I tend to avoid them.

15 hours ago, JB0 said:

I don't have one, but I like QNAP better because their designs look like the expansion box for my old TI computer.

I went with the Synology DS418Play. I initially looked at the DS918+ when I started down this road, but even with the capability to add an expansion bay or run M.2 drives as cache or even run VMs, I came to the conclusion that it would be too much for my needs right now. I just started using it as a Plex box so beyond file shares and as a high-end Plex box for now, it serves my needs.

1 hour ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Thanks for any advice.

Unless you are an audiophile or want top-notch sound, on-board sound is usually good enough for most people. I stopped having dedicated sound for a decade now and haven't missed it.

If you are doing gaming+photo & video editing, then I'd stick with Intel. Intel seems to be holding onto the gaming crown, but just barely.
If Dell isn't your fancy, then I would look at Origin PC if you want pre-built. You'll pay a higher price but you'll be selecting and getting all the brand-name parts (Asus, MSI, EVGA, etc.). Otherwise, I would BYOD if you want to save some money or if you want a certain look.

12 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

My problem with dell is there PSus are not great and I would get a hard drive I would never use.  I have a Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD and a HGST 4tb HDD ready to go.  I would like to get a 8TB before I build it.

Yeah, if you want to get more minute about the configuration of a computer, then the price premium tends to get to the point of no longer justifying it. At that point you may as well build it yourself.

12 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I have had problems with AMD cpus in the past so I tend to avoid them.

Fair enough. I myself had a bad AMD CPU for my first build (though to be fair, it was also my first overclocking attempt and to say I screwed that up would be a major understatement). It still hobbled along until I could eventually replace it with a 6600K, but I get the feeling.

15 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I second the external DAC/amp. Had one but it was a cheaper one and ultimately died. But I really liked the sound from it. Right now I have 2 speakers connected to my Linux laptop and it still sounds OK. Not really wanting to delve any more into the DAC/amp rabbit hole (for my wallet's sake). If the external speaker is good the sound will be good (unless if your motherboard has crap sound output). Another thing is the acoustics of your room, it does affect what you hear. If I really wanted great sound the best thing to use is a great headphone (plus DAC/amp).

• 1 month later...

Ebay had a 20% sale yesterday so I ordered a AMD 2600X, GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING AM4 AMD X470 mobo, and GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM for $423 via Newegg's Ebay site. Thats about $60 cheaper than buying directly from Newegg.com and cheaper than my local Microcenter since I won't pay tax :)  I'm hoping to see a significant gaming improvement from my current AMD FX-8350 system.

Edited by TangledThorns

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Phew. That's one heck of an upgrade. Have fun. (Are you sticking with your old video card for now? What make/model?)

Yep, my current card is a 1060 GTX 6Gb that I thankfully bought when first released for $240 before cryptocurrency craze inflated the GPU market. Its doing well for my 1080p gaming and I expect better performance with this new upgrade.

I'm also ditching thermal grease for this new graphite thermal pad. Less messy and I can reuse it for a stronger Ryzen CPU down the road years from now.

Edited by TangledThorns

I'm hoping to build a new PC myself this year, now that the GTX 1100-series looks like it's finally coming. I'll replace my 970 with an 1170, and my third-gen i7 with... whatever they're on now. 

58 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Yep, my current card is a 1060 GTX 6Gb that I thankfully bought when first released for $240 before cryptocurrency craze inflated the GPU market. Its doing well for my 1080p gaming and I expect better performance with this new upgrade.

I'm also ditching thermal grease for this new graphite thermal pad. Less messy and I can reuse it for a stronger Ryzen CPU down the road years from now.

I see your Linus and I raise you a Steve.

No lie, though, I do think the IC graphite pad is pretty freaking awesome. They could stand to make it a bit bigger, though. I think it's only slightly larger than a Coffee Lake die, and definitely not big enough to cover the surface area of both dies in a Ryzen chip.

EDIT:

27 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm hoping to build a new PC myself this year, now that the GTX 1100-series looks like it's finally coming. I'll replace my 970 with an 1170, and my third-gen i7 with... whatever they're on now. 

I wonder if Volta will ever make its way down from enterprise usage (where I think it was shown to actually be... not that good?) to consumer GPU architecture. Isn't the 1100/20xx (whatever they are) line going to still use the same architecture as the 1060 et al?

What is Coffee Lake... 8th gen?

Edited by kajnrig

50 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Same here. Except no update for video. My GTX 1070 is still alive & kicking. If RAM prices would hurry up and come back down, I could get that ball rolling.

Speaking of Intel...

Intel's 28-Core 5GHz Processor And Test System Breaks Cover (Updated)

Hey, Intel...would you like a CPU to go with that AC unit of yours?

GN's video is misleading as he doesn't actually review the graphite thermal pad, just asked for his thoughts on it. Seriously, its like listening to the neckbeard at my local Best Buy. I don't expect stellar results with the pad, most tests I've seen still show high-end thermal grease is better. The trade off is one degree Celsius versus cleaning.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

GN's video is misleading as he doesn't actually review the graphite thermal pad, just asked for his thoughts on it. Seriously, its like listening to the neckbeard at my local Best Buy. I don't expect stellar results with the pad, most tests I've seen still show high-end thermal grease is better. The trade off is one degree Celsius versus cleaning.

Right, it was part of a Q&A, not a review, but it's just an opinion I trust since they're more fully a testing/reviewing channel and tend to do more in-depth testing than LTT.

The trade-off looks like it will be well worth it, I think. No more having to worry about spread, coverage, air gaps, etc. Just set it down and go; seems way simpler. Let me know how your experience goes, I'd love the testimonial.

But speaking of GN and speaking of Intel's laughable "28-Core 5.0GHz" CPU:

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Isn't the 1100/20xx (whatever they are) line going to still use the same architecture as the 1060 et al?

Not Volta, and not Pascal (the 10-series). Turing.

And it sounds like Turing might not be ready this year after all, so I guess better luck next year.

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

What is Coffee Lake... 8th gen?

I think so, but I kind of lost track since I've been adamant about waiting on a new GPU. Who knows, maybe it'll be 9th-gen by the time I get to it. I heard the last "upgrade" was fairly minor anyway.

5 hours ago, azrael said:

Except no update for video. My GTX 1070 is still alive & kicking.

And that makes sense to me. My personal rule is to upgrade every other GPU generation. The 10-series didn't seem to warrant an upgrade over the 970 I already have, but I don't know if it's the crypto mining or a lack of competition from AMD or what but they're taking forever to move on from 10 to 11, and my 970 is starting to show it's age.

Considering I don't really do more than surf the net and game anymore on my PC I don't have a pressing need to upgrade anything else until Turing is ready, even though my 3770k has gotta be around six years old.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:19 AM, mikeszekely said:

Ah, I see you are also a man of culture.

I'm starting to feel the need to upgrade my old-ass GPU (3570K) for the new WoW expansion and my GTX 970 is starting to sound like a jet engine under load. I think it needs new thermal paste...

• 4 weeks later...

My PC upgrade is going great. The 2600X is stable at 4.25Ghz and I was able to overclock my DDR 2400 RAM to 2666 without having to play with voltages.

Last but not least is the coolest addition, I replaced my Samsumg 840 250Gb SSD with a Adata XPG SX8200 960Gb. Its tiny, like stick of gum tiny, fast and is connected right to my Gigabyte X470 mobo. No power or SATA cables needed :) I wanted a new SSD close to 1Tb as game files are getting yuge! Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor gold edition is 100Gb!!

D0SoL7f.jpg

Edited by TangledThorns

• 3 weeks later...

Despite always designing my PC's around upgradability, I always tend to wait so long to upgrade, that it's kinda pointless---sockets and RAM have moved a gen or two ahead, and nothing's compatible anymore.    So, opinions wanted on what I should do. 

Current specs:

i5-4690 on Z97 board, 8GB DDR3 12800 RAM.  GTX970 (from Azrael!).  256GB SSD for boot/windows/programs, 1TB HDD storage. 

Z97 board is LGA1150 socket.  Doesn't seem at all worth it to upgrade to any 1150 CPU based on cost/age.  Same for RAM. 

If I want to upgrade CPU/RAM, then it's pretty much a whole new PC at that point---mobo+CPU+RAM, and not cheap.   So I'm leaning towards a GTX 1170 when it comes out (or a 1070 Ti, depending on prices this fall).   That a worthwhile move, or do I hit the point where the rest of the PC is seriously holding back the GPU?     Would probably go the "new mobo etc" route a year after the GPU.  (likely new case then, too, at which point it truly is a new PC)  

I guess you could upgrade the GPU, then wait a little longer to build a new PC with the GPU you buy.

Me, I'm definitely ready to upgrade. I think my PC is probably older than yours, since I'm still on an i7-3770k (I've got the same GPU). I've just been waiting for the 1170.

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

If I want to upgrade CPU/RAM, then it's pretty much a whole new PC at that point---mobo+CPU+RAM, and not cheap.   So I'm leaning towards a GTX 1170 when it comes out (or a 1070 Ti, depending on prices this fall).   That a worthwhile move, or do I hit the point where the rest of the PC is seriously holding back the GPU?     Would probably go the "new mobo etc" route a year after the GPU.  (likely new case then, too, at which point it truly is a new PC)  

I try to piece it together a bit at a time based on what I can work on at the time.

I recently upgraded my case in prep for a new system. I'm looking at better support for a 240mm radiator and going all in for USB 3.x. I also found my case on sale at Newegg so there's no time like the present for this one. Next up, power supply. While there's nothing wrong with my current one, its pushing 8 or 9 years now.

The GTX970 should last a bit longer and considering Nvidia is still not talking about the 1100-series, I'd consider the graphics as a toss-up. When the 1100-series comes out, that might drop the prices on 1000-series cards and cause a crypto-currency buying frenzy. That would dry up the 1000-series cards. 1100-series would also make the 1000-series cards old tech. But then again, 1070 Tis are in stock and the prices aren't being jacked-up so buy now and suffer or buy later and suffer.

Mobo+CPU+RAM is an all-at-once. No way to avoid this combo. I would probably pull the trigger here if you decide to skip the GPU.

I agree with azrael. Motherboards, processors, and RAM should be bought together. You save more money in the long run and run into fewer issues. The big question is always going to be "what are you going to use the computer for?" This is what usually determines what parts you buy. My last build was a home theater PC built around a 3rd Gen I7. I quit on-line computer gaming years ago. For Web surfing, YouTube and watching movies, it's still more than adequate. If you use it for gaming or video editing, you'll probably end up spending a lot more on your rig. If you can afford it, it's probably best to replace the entire rig all at once for the exact reasons you have already stated. 

::edit::   Well, eVga just put up a batch of new 1080 FTW’s on their ebay store for like $120 below MSRP.  I took it as a sign, and bought like the last one before they sold out.  Still a hundred bucks more than I was planning, but I basically got a 1080 for a 1070 price*, and I think I’ll be pleased.  

*prices highly variable/insane the past few months.  

::edit 2::  supposed to come with “Destiny 2 and two expansions”——anyone interested in that?  I’d sell it cheap to anyone here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone running a Ryzen 2 system after these few months of release? With Cannon Lake now pushed to 2019, we’re  stuck with Coffee Lake (not counting  Kaby Lake G either). Coffee Lake CPUs have been going on sale so it’s probably time for me to start putting down money. And AMD is still flashing that neon sign at me. 

Hmmmn, Coffee Lake was my “next year major upgrade/quasi-new-PC” idea.  

Any rumblings of new sockets etc?  That’s the #1 thing that really bit me with this one, the 1150 was short-lived while the 1151 has been going on for years.  

5 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Hmmmn, Coffee Lake was my “next year major upgrade/quasi-new-PC” idea.  

Any rumblings of new sockets etc?  That’s the #1 thing that really bit me with this one, the 1150 was short-lived while the 1151 has been going on for years.  

Since Cannon Lake is delayed to late 2019, Coffee Lake will be you upgrade option this year and next year.

Cannon Lake should retain socket 1151. Maybe? We might get a new socket for Ice Lake (2019-2020?)