Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Custom/Detailing by Kye

kyekye

Wow! Thanks!!

That looks awesome!

It seems like it's sold out almost everywhere. After some more search, I found other one at G-System shop.

Although my first idea with that fiber-optic light one was slightly different.

Here is a section view of my crazy idea :ph34r:

post-6978-129504908433_thumb.jpg

but I can't tell until I see the product, so LED light saber will be a great back up plan!

The LED saber for the 1/48 gundam is actually powerful enough for fiber optics, and it is tidy in a way that everything (battery, led, on/off switch) is in one unit smaller than one AAA battery.

Also, let me know what parts you need the scan for taking apart; I don't have time to do the whole thing, but can so individual areas for you and WM Cheng.

The LED saber for the 1/48 gundam is actually powerful enough for fiber optics, and it is tidy in a way that everything (battery, led, on/off switch) is in one unit smaller than one AAA battery.

Also, let me know what parts you need the scan for taking apart; I don't have time to do the whole thing, but can so individual areas for you and WM Cheng.

Thanks! I've ordered both - so that I can use fiber-optic cable and choice of LED light. Lighting is still just a plan. Since I have 0 experience with electrical parts, There is a big chance I might just skip it. :ph34r:

For the parts, I'm done separating for now. ^_^

At the time, I was stuck and desperate so I searched web in Japanese, Chinese..etc for clues. :wacko: Somehow I got the info I needed. Probably I might need some help again when I put it back together later ;)

Today is 'Foot fetish' day :ph34r:

Adding Panel lines with engraver and antennas on each foot.

post-6978-129510305394_thumb.jpg

I spent some time on it, but ended up with only 1 side bottom.. :o

One note, the bottom sole material is softer and kinda easier to engrave panel lines. However, the top has very hard material and takes multiple strokes to get good panel lines engraved.

So..at this rate, it looks like it will be another 3 more days with foot fetish for me.. :ph34r:

Oh, I forgot to add!

I found one of these at the local hobby store. It's Some kinda Japanese candy toy from Furuta (Furuta Battleship Collection. This one is CVN-65 Enterprise)

post-6978-129510526103_thumb.jpg

It comes with 4 types of modern jet planes (12 total) and the scale is something like 1/2400. I guess you know what I'm thinking :ph34r:

I got faster on the other foot, and finished the feet detailing today.

It's not much noticeable for the time I spent on them yet, but I believe it will show up later as I start painting them (hopefully) :ph34r:

post-6978-129518970529_thumb.jpg

Oh, I forgot to add!

I found one of these at the local hobby store. It's Some kinda Japanese candy toy from Furuta (Furuta Battleship Collection. This one is CVN-65 Enterprise)

post-6978-129510526103_thumb.jpg

It comes with 4 types of modern jet planes (12 total) and the scale is something like 1/2400. I guess you know what I'm thinking :ph34r:

Ha ha that carrier was actually in one of my pictures with the 1/2000 sdf-1. This was actually one of the first place I look to see if I can use for 1/2000 vf-1. But I actually find the planes that came with the futura carrier to be too big and thick. Another place I looked was the planes on the micromachines aircraft carrier. But those lack the detail. In the end, the easiest way to make them and paint them is out of stylene rods. This is because you can cut, sand, polish, and paint the vf-1 while it is still part of the rod. And when you are done painting, just cut it off from he head of the rod. This way, it is alot easier to handle!

Edited by vf_1s

Ha ha that carrier was actually in one of my pictures with the 1/2000 sdf-1. This was actually one of the first place I look to see if I can use for 1/2000 vf-1. But I actually find the planes that came with the futura carrier to be too big and thick. Another place I looked was the planes on the micromachines aircraft carrier. But those lack the detail. In the end, the easiest way to make them and paint them is out of stylene rods. This is because you can cut, sand, polish, and paint the vf-1 while it is still part of the rod. And when you are done painting, just cut it off from he head of the rod. This way, it is alot easier to handle!

Sigh.... I thought it was too good to be true....Sigh :( Nothing is easy in this world!! Arrggg!

I should have seen it because I went through your pictures many many times. It was one of those 'Oh very cool angle!' shot - except for I skipped the Enterprise ship sitting in front of SDF-1 - kinda blended in! :ph34r:

Every time i see something and say, 'wow this is tiny, I might be able to use it!' and bring next to SDF-1 only to find out it's too big for scale. <_<

Sigh.... I thought it was too good to be true....Sigh :( Nothing is easy in this world!! Arrggg!

I should have seen it because I went through your pictures many many times. It was one of those 'Oh very cool angle!' shot - except for I skipped the Enterprise ship sitting in front of SDF-1 - kinda blended in! :ph34r:

Every time i see something and say, 'wow this is tiny, I might be able to use it!' and bring next to SDF-1 only to find out it's too big for scale. <_<

With your master skills, I never doubt you for a second. I am sure that you will do something crazy and made the perfect VF-1 for sure! I know you won't stop here...

Sincerely!

With your master skills, I never doubt you for a second. I am sure that you will do something crazy and made the perfect VF-1 for sure! I know you won't stop here...

Sincerely!

Well, I can't sit around and doing nothing after your cheering comment! So here is take-2 on 1/3000 VF-1.

post-6978-129525391057_thumb.jpg

I used clear plastic sheet to trace parts over it. So it's all there (6 parts total including Super pack and gunpod!), but kinda hard to see. I'll have to spray primer to see what it actually look like. And some more cutting and sanding. If I like it, then I'll make 2-3 more. VF-D, VT-1 and VE-1 for sure! Gotta have those! :lol:

Well, I can't sit around and doing nothing after your cheering comment! So here is take-2 on 1/3000 VF-1.

post-6978-129525391057_thumb.jpg

I used clear plastic sheet to trace parts over it. So it's all there (6 parts total including Super pack and gunpod!), but kinda hard to see. I'll have to spray primer to see what it actually look like. And some more cutting and sanding. If I like it, then I'll make 2-3 more. VF-D, VT-1 and VE-1 for sure! Gotta have those! :lol:

That looks awesome!!! See, I knew you wouldn't give up. So why did you choose to use clear plastic sheet? Is it because of the canopy? Anyway, it looks awesome!!! Any chance to see what this looks like on the ARMD? The launch arm looks very nice!

YOU GUYS!! :wacko:

Just pure amazing awesomeness!! Care to cast them and sell them? I feel like such an old man these days as my eyesight sure ain't what it used to be, I have to move things farther away just to focus on them, I remember when I could focus right up to tiny things - argh, I hate getting old...

Fantastic work! Now I can live vicariously through you guys.

That looks awesome!!! See, I knew you wouldn't give up. So why did you choose to use clear plastic sheet? Is it because of the canopy? Anyway, it looks awesome!!! Any chance to see what this looks like on the ARMD? The launch arm looks very nice!

I was afraid of making wings as separate parts, also I was able to put it on top of print out to trace the shape. I've spray the primer and started painting them, so I'll post images later today. I also have VF-D and VE-1 now :D Ostrich would be same shape as superpack - just different painting. :ph34r:

Wow, I can't wait to see the amazing lighting...

I received the fiber optic kit. The battery box is using 2 X AA batteries and too big. So I'm waiting for LED beam saber 'vf_1s' recommended for the light source (Estimated delivery: February 03 - February 16... :ph34r: ). So far, it looks do-able.

Still need to figure out how to put switches :wacko:

YOU GUYS!! :wacko:

Just pure amazing awesomeness!! Care to cast them and sell them? I feel like such an old man these days as my eyesight sure ain't what it used to be, I have to move things farther away just to focus on them, I remember when I could focus right up to tiny things - argh, I hate getting old...

Fantastic work! Now I can live vicariously through you guys.

Sigh..If I knew how to make this tiny cast, I wouldn't be making the same things by hand 3 times. I've tried, but I wasn't able to make a clean mold or sand out the edges.

As for the eyesight....I'm getting there as well....

It's really inconvenient for modelers like us. :(

Edited by kyekye

So.. after struggling with 0.3mm thick parts, I put out something resembles Valkyries :ph34r:

As I make more, I got better at it. And the first one I made (VF-1 Hikaru) looked worst. So I glued it to the Hanger arm. Then, primed them, sand them and painted them.

post-6978-129535227422_thumb.jpg

I decided to use magnets to attach the launch arms to ARMD. I tested on and it worked great!

So I installed 4 each on the backside of ARMD Side panels.

post-6978-129535228336_thumb.jpg

The ones on the Launch arm is 1/16" X 1/32" N50 Magnet disks (D101). The ones on the backside of panels are the same ones i used on the head bridge.

...And I'm saving VF-1S for the last!

So.. after struggling with 0.3mm thick parts, I put out something resembles Valkyries :ph34r:

As I make more, I got better at it. And the first one I made (VF-1 Hikaru) looked worst. So I glued it to the Hanger arm. Then, primed them, sand them and painted them.

I decided to use magnets to attach the launch arms to ARMD. I tested on and it worked great!

The ones on the Launch arm is 1/16" X 1/32" N50 Magnet disks (D101). The ones on the backside of panels are the same ones i used on the head bridge.

u r currently my idol~!

Those are killer!!!! What a fantastic job. The magnets work great! Congratulations on your tiny Valkyrie success! :lol:

Really a super cool project. Keep it up!

You are amazing. Everything looks really good. Just a friendly suggestion, the arm looks to be sticking out a little bit too far for this scale, also some of the valkyries seems to be too big to come out from the smaller gates. I have this problem too. May be the smaller gates are for smaler crafts? Lastly, according to the reference, the signal arm does not come out of the gate, it is something the "slides up" in front of the gate. Nevertheless, amazing work given the sizes!

post-3663-129537294095_thumb.jpg

Edited by vf_1s

You are amazing. Everything looks really good. Just a friendly suggestion, the arm looks to be sticking out a little bit too far for this scale, also some of the valkyries seems to be too big to come out from the smaller gates. I have this problem too. May be the smaller gates are for smaler crafts? Lastly, according to the reference, the signal arm does not come out of the gate, it is something the "slides up" in front of the gate. Nevertheless, amazing work given the sizes!

Yeah. I think only the 2-3 'bigger' gates are for Valkyries and the rest of them are for Destroids or other purposes.

Oh, and I lost the signal arm last night! :blink: Probably because of the magnet attached to the tip....I'm sure it's stuck on some metal surface sending me signals... :ph34r:

I guess I'll have to make new smaller ones when I make VF-1S!

Thanks for the reference image. I was looking at the other screen shot, and it didn't show where it's attached.

Dude awesome details but you're not transforming that thing after you finished are you?

Oh, You bet I will! :lol::lol:

Otherwise, I wouldn't be putting magnets here and there.

this is amazing work. Looking at my stock SDF-1, it's sometimes hard to imagine that yours started off looking the same.

:lol: Haha I'm not even 10% done yet! :ph34r:

This is very slow process because I can only work on this at night for a couple of hours each day after work. I'm also still waiting for some parts delivery.

Today was mostly spent on putting magnets on the rest of ARMD panels and making the new bridge parts.

Made a mini bubble to replace the glass shield chunk, and also made the bottom (jaw) structure with plastic sheet.

post-6978-129545077784_thumb.jpg

Size-wise, it's same as the original part, but I can now see the actual bridge details inside :ph34r:

Also took out the photo-etched parts from the head to prepare for painting.

Edited by kyekye

Just saw this thread and i'm catching up reading all your updates. Dude, great mods and detailing! Keep up the great work! I have 'zero' modeling skills at all so i could never attempt something like this, but i am enjoying your work.

Can't wait to see the finished product! haha... and also eagerly waiting to get my SDF-1 too

Thanks for checking out my slow post. I'm trying to post daily progress, but it becomes kinda jumpy because there are some detailing parts I'm waiting for the head-bridge and other areas.

Also I'm out of floor polish (Future Shine! Where did you go!!) for clear shield part.

So I jumped back to the feet and legs for the time being..

Feet primed and getting sanded. Will need to prime again after that.

post-6978-129552869902_thumb.jpg

Leg Top parts - adding more panel lines, small vent holes and photo-etched parts.

post-6978-129552870722_thumb.jpg

WoW! KyeKye - YOU ARE THE MASTER!

Those Valks look simply amazing. I don't think most of the folks here appreciate just how tiny they are, you need to put them on a penny and photograph them. Hands of a surgeon buddy!

Those Valks look simply amazing. I don't think most of the folks here appreciate just how tiny they are, you need to put them on a penny and photograph them. Hands of a surgeon buddy!

What's more amazing is the launch arm, even with the yellow and black corss hatch pattern.

Actually it took me a while to find a penny. Where are the pennies when you need one! :ph34r:

I also got the candy toy part that I was going to use. vf_1s was right. It is slightly bigger than scale. I put another candy toy 1/144 VT-1 next to them.

Frankly though, you gotta see the nail artist doing my kid's nail. Maybe i should have them do my Valkyries!! :lol:

post-6978-129561491605_thumb.jpg

Another slow post. Today was kinda busy day...doing non-SDF-1 work. :ph34r:

Doing more panel lines engraving and some prep work for red-light signals.

post-6978-129561526417_thumb.jpg

Edited by kyekye

Actually it took me a while to find a penny. Where are the pennies when you need one! :ph34r:

I also got the candy toy part that I was going to use. vf_1s was right. It is slightly bigger than scale. I put another candy toy 1/144 VT-1 next to them.

Frankly though, you gotta see the nail artist doing my kid's nail. Maybe i should have them do my Valkyries!! :lol:

post-6978-129561491605_thumb.jpg

Another slow post. Today was kinda busy day...doing non-SDF-1 work. :ph34r:

Doing more panel lines engraving and some prep work for red-light signals.

post-6978-129561526417_thumb.jpg

Everything looks really good. If you are super picky, the wings are just a bit too wide, and the launch arms are still to big IMO, but it can be fixed easily. Honestly, I think nobody will notice that they are a bit out of scale, except may be you and me, so I would just leave it as is. I think one of my vf-1s is slightly bigger too, but who really cares?

Most people would have focus their attention on how small these things are... and be amazed.

By the way, when I was painting mine, I find a Tamaya brush (~$10) that is really good, it was alot firmer than most other ones I have, and has a big grip. Combined effect: I have a lot more control on the micro lines when painting the valks. Let me know if you want to know the name of the brush.

Keep up the good work. This is the first thing I check evey morning!

Yesterday was crazy busy + 3 hours driving. Also progress was kinda boring ( - meaning just more panel lines engraving)

Good news is that I'm almost done with panel lines now, and also got the first batch of parts delivered.

post-6978-129578674724_thumb.jpg

The parts that received panel line (+ photo etched parts) treatment. Also added a bunch of holes for signal light placements and filled seams with putty.

post-6978-129578675831_thumb.jpg

First batch of parts delivered

*A bunch of micro decals and one with Numbers I can use for ARMD ( height is good, but little wide, so I'll have to cut and trim)

*Micro beads for signal light lenses

*0.5mm stainless steel balls and casings.

*metal parts for Vernier detail up.

*fiber-optic cable (hopefully for city lighting :ph34r:<_< )

Edited by kyekye