macross 7

arrow

Here we Go. You will either hear that it's what Macross TV was supposed to be, or you will hear that it's pure crap. I vote for crap but others will tell you different. :ph34r:

I dunno....Mac 7 is good for the comedic value...it has some nice Mecha, nice fights, and a pretty nice (but strange) reunion between Max and Millia. I kinda like it....but it can't hold a candle to Mac Plus or Mac DYRL....

That's my 2 cents :blink:

Valkyrie

Some information can be found at this site. You can read up on it some and make the call if it interests you.

Link: Mecha Anime HQ

http://bt.base0.net/aia/

Take a gander at the first two episodes and see what you think. I personally like it, but I'm also one of the few that isn't die hard for or against it. It has a lot of stuff that I like, and a lot I could do without.

I really like most of the characters, I think the characters are just as solid and memorable as any past Macross characters, and that goes a long way for me.

Most people will tell you, and I would agree, that the story doesn't really pick up until about a dozen episodes in.

I for one like it but like many have said it doesn't really get good or interesting till after the first 10 or so episodes. That right there could be the real major fault with the series. The middle and ending are well worth forcing yourself to watch the beginning episodes but not everyone will agree on that. The best way to find out would be to download a few episodes or find copy of the dvds and watch them. It also helps going into it with an open mind and not a set view of what a sequel to SDF Macross should be.

http://www.animeniacs.com/ is selling the entire boxset(series, movie, ova, and encore shows) for $40. (very happy with my purchase) If you have the money you might want to pick it up, if ya don't like at least you have it for your connection or could turn around and auction it off on ebay. ;)

Edited by Effect

I've never seen macross 7 and am considering getting it. how is it? how does it compare to the sdf macross tv series? do they have the vf-1 from the original show?

If you care what your friends think of you... don't see it with them.

I for one like it but like many have said it doesn't really get good or interesting till after the first 10 or so episodes. That right there could be the real major fault with the series. The middle and ending are well worth forcing yourself to watch the beginning episodes but not everyone will agree on that. The best way to find out would be to download a few episodes or find copy of the dvds and watch them. It also helps going into it with an open mind and not a set view of what a sequel to SDF Macross should be.

A convert, I see. The way of the Hory Froating Head will move you.

I personally hated M7 the first time I watched it for like 6 eps. Then some time later I went back and gave it a complete run through and I found to my own bewilderment that I really loved it. Special K likes to make each Macross story different and unique. I appreciate what he is trying to do because it is no easy feat. He could easily give us rehashes of the same story each time with different mecha and it would probably be a success, but he has too much respect for his art and audience. Each installment of Macross is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. I loved M7 more than any other Macross story, most people are don't like it. Just give it a chance.

vinnie

I've never seen macross 7 and am considering getting it. how is it? how does it compare to the sdf macross tv series? do they have the vf-1 from the original show?

If you care what your friends think of you... don't see it with them.

lol so true. I just tried explaining the show to my friends who have a mild interest in anime and Macross. They looked at me wierd. My wife usually walked out of the room when I was watching it, saying what crap it was.

Me personally, I think the show is both awful and disappointing. There are alot more anime series worth your time than this show. Don't be fooled by the Macross name, not everything Kawamori does is good.

Edited by dejr8bud

If given the choice of watching Macross 7 again or shooting myself in the head I'd be asking for the hollowpoints just to make sure it killed me.

I understand that a lot of people like this show... then again a lot of people like Sigfried and Roy, Elton John, Beastiality, Cosplay and Sailor Moon. I am no closer to understanding those people either.

I'm glad that I saw it. It's Macross and it has that feel throughout it. Sharon Apple music in the background, or the old guy showing Mylene a picture he had taken of himself with Minmei. Stuff like that. It has its cheesy moments, but the payoff in the latter half is rather good. Agreeing with what the others said, it's not for the casual anime fan, it's only for those who have seen and loved the original, so watch it yourself first. Like many shows there are things that could have been handled better, or better explained, but it's worth seeing at least once. If you don't like it, then you don't have to see it again. But you won't be any worse off for it.

Also: VF-17's

Edited by Anubis

Maybe we should just copy and past old posts here. Even better! Make it a locked complete M7 thread from the old forums. <_<

M7 sucks.... and nothing in the world will change that fact!

it wouldn't work it it were locked... People still want to bitch about it, and n00bs still want to ask about it.

i agree with most answers here, I'm not really die hard or totally hating it, but i did suffer thru the first 12 episodes, from there (for me) that's when it started takin off.

I loved Macross 7, but as you can see there are always two or more sides. I always hate when finish watching the series because I always want more. I would have to say the series gets better the further you get in. I would suggest watching it, it sure open my mind to new things.

I liked M7...But there were times when I ever so gently wanted to place my hands on Mylenes shoulders then slowy move them up to her neck........And SQEEZE <_< as hard as I can 'till i heard a crack. But that was just me, and in only a few episodes. :rolleyes:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

If possible, rent one or two episodes and see if you like it. I personally think it is worth saving your money on model kits or other Macross toys. The only thing I like about the show is the title theme. If you watch it with your cat/dog, it will walk away after the main theme is played :). I have only seen the first 35 episodes but I have enough.

I'm glad that I saw it. It's Macross and it has that feel throughout it. Sharon Apple music in the background, or the old guy showing Mylene a picture he had taken of himself with Minmei. Stuff like that. It has its cheesy moments, but the payoff in the latter half is rather good. Agreeing with what the others said, it's not for the casual anime fan, it's only for those who have seen and loved the original, so watch it yourself first. Like many shows there are things that could have been handled better, or better explained, but it's worth seeing at least once. If you don't like it, then you don't have to see it again. But you won't be any worse off for it.

Also: VF-17's

Were you talking about Macross Plus or Macross 7? I thought the thread was about Macross 7. If it is about Macross Plus, then I like it (both the story and music by Kanno Yoko)

Were you talking about Macross Plus or Macross 7? I thought the thread was about Macross 7. If it is about Macross Plus, then I like it (both the story and music by Kanno Yoko)

He is talking about Macross 7. One thing I liked about Macross 7 was the fact they played music from Sharon in the background. The reason is because Macross 7 takes place shortly after Macross Plus. Sharon's music was still being played even in on the other side of the galaxy.

Edited by ayoung

He is talking about Macross 7. One thing I liked about Macross 7 was the fact they played music from Sharon in the background. The reason is because Macross 7 takes place shortly after Macross Plus. Sharon's music was still being played even in on the other side of the galaxy.

I forgot about that. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention while watching it. I didn't like the series as mentioned. Plus is just better.

For me M7 was a mixed bag. The story/plot was lacking, never really got into it, until the very end. On the otherhand, D7 OVA, Movie, Encores, FOTSW were wildly entertaining! Now for the music...which is a big factor in my enjoyment in anime. At first, I was like WTF? But it slowly grew on me...that's Basara's songs. I mean, I'm an 80s rock fan after all. :p As for Mylene's songs, don't really care for them other than "Sweet Fantasy", sort of like a J-Pop version of a dreamy Cranberries song.

See...no references to SDF or M+. ;)

I liked M7...But there were times when I ever so gently wanted to place my hands on Mylenes shoulds then slowy move them up to her neck........And SQEEZE <_< as hard as I can 'till i heard a crack. But that was just me, and in only a few episodes. :rolleyes:

Heh, I'm the opposite. I love Mylene. I'd like to move my hands down from her shoulders to her ******* and squeeze B)

On the other hand if we are talking about Basara, that is one character I could happily throttle. Throughout the whole series I was so wishing that Gamlin would plug him in a *ahem* friendly fire accident.

Anyway jokes aside, as others have said Macross 7 is not everbody's cup of tea. Personally I love it, despite my dislike of Basara. In fact I probably prefer it to original SDF Macross.

If you can get past the Valks with human faces, the over-use of stock footage in the combat scenes then you are in for one heck of a ride.

Graham

Heh, I'm the opposite. I love Mylene. I'd like to move my hands down from her shoulders to her  ******* and squeeze B)

On the other hand if we are talking about Basara, that is one character I could happily throttle. Throughout the whole series I was so wishing that Gamlin would plug him in a *ahem* friendly fire accident.

Anyway jokes aside, as others have said Macross 7 is not everbody's cup of tea. Personally I  love it, despite my dislike of Basara. In fact I probably prefer it to original SDF Macross.

If you can get past the Valks with human faces, the over-use of stock footage in the combat scenes then you are in for one heck of a ride.

Graham

Don't get me wrong I like Mylene. I thought she was cute, and I would of done that to if given a chance. But there are times when her whinying got to me.

As for Basara, I was hopping Gamlin would plug him too, but that was only in the early eposides. In the later ones he became more tolleriable. Damn. I still hate Planet Dance thanks to him. And why is there no Mylene version of Light the Light? I loved her version more then the duo one with her and Basara. <_<

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X