The Command & Conquer Thread

areaseven

In 1995, Westwood Studios released Command & Conquer, which became one of the most popular real-time strategy game franchises of all-time. Taking elements from the game Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty, C&C popularized the concept of harvesting for resources, building structures and upgrading units. Since then, there have been numerous sequels and spin-offs, including the not-so-memorable Renegade first-shooter and the ever-popular time-traveling Red Alert series.

During the mid-2000s, EA Games shut down Westwood Studios, casting doubt upon the C&C franchise. But all of that was put aside with the 2007 release of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberian Wars, as well as 2008's Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. While RA3 was notorious for luring in players using hot babes, C&C3 received critical acclaim and won numerous awards.

Unfortunately, EA Games has killed the franchise this year with Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight. The final chapter of the Tiberian saga is marred mainly by two issues: 1) the requirement of an Internet connection to play the game at all; and 2) the elimination of Tiberium harvesting. As a result, C&C4 has been panned by both critics and long-time fans.

And so, in memory of this RTS franchise, let's talk about Command & Conquer. First off, which is your favorite C&C game? Also, who's your favorite C&C babe?

Edited by areaseven

Oh, man... so much to talk about, even though I have barely played any of the games on the poll.

I played TONS of C&C back in the day. From the awesome soundtrack, to the often hilarious unit sound clips, it was one of the most enjoyable games to play. Things I LOVED about that game: The Commando and his one-liners... "That was left-handed!" "Keep 'em comin'!" Luring computer infantry through Tiberium fields and watching them spontaneously combust... of which, I loved the death screams when they died. There was something disgusting about how I'd laugh out loud when watching infantry running around on fire before they fell over dead... oh well. Kane was one of the best villains out there... I still fear the power of the NOD's mighty Obelisks. However, there was something magical about rushing bases with a handful of Mammoth tanks.

Red Alert: Such a great game. I spent so much time skirmishing against computer controlled AI's, but even the game itself was thoroughly enjoyable. Exploring an alternate timeline had its ups and downs... mostly ups. The gameplay was drastically improved and units were better-balanced than its predecessor, but there were some improvements to be made.

I purchased C&C 2 when it first came out... I even got the collector's edition with the soundtrack CD and die-cast GDI soldier figurine. Still have 'em, too... However, after playing several hours into the game, I realized that it just didn't have the same magic as the first two games. I never touched a C&C title after that game.

Hmm, I remember the original C&C and Generals more fondly than the other games.

Though in Red Alert, it's quite a kicking laugh to see a small pack of attack dogs decimate an army GIs. :lol:

I just bought C&C: The First Decade. Unfortunately, only Generals seems to work on Windows 7. EA tech support sucks.

Hmm, have you tried any of the patches, particularly unofficial patch 1.03?

To anybody who wants to give them a try, EA has released Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun as freeware downloads at http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic. I don't know how well they work with Windows 7 or Windows XP, but I know I'm going to spend the holidays finding out.

To anybody who wants to give them a try, EA has released Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and Tiberian Sun as freeware downloads at http://www.commandan...uer.com/classic. I don't know how well they work with Windows 7 or Windows XP, but I know I'm going to spend the holidays finding out.

I downloaded RA1 a couple of years back and it works perfectly on XP.

Well, I downloaded and installed 1.03. RA2 finally works, but C&C1 and RA1 still can't play.

Have you tried any of the compatibility updates from Microsoft? A bit farfetched, but who knows...

This thread needs more music!

I just remembered something. I heard that there was a Hell's March remix that had Tanya's voice clips mixed in throughout the song.

Does it really exist?

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing red alert 3 recently, and something about the intro bugs me. It shows the soviets going back in time to the 1920's and eliminating Einstein. What bugs me is in the original red alert Einstein went back in time from the 1950's and eliminated Hitler thus creating the red alert timeline. If the soviets elminated Einstein from the timeline before he himself went back in time wouldn't Hitler still exist? I don't see Einstien disappearing in the 1920's having all that much of an effect on his rise to power and the timeline would be closer to real life.

I started playing red alert 3 recently, and something about the intro bugs me. It shows the soviets going back in time to the 1920's and eliminating Einstein. What bugs me is in the original red alert Einstein went back in time from the 1950's and eliminated Hitler thus creating the red alert timeline. If the soviets eliminated Einstein from the timeline before he himself went back in time wouldn't Hitler still exist? I don't see Einstein disappearing in the 1920's having all that much of an effect on his rise to power and the timeline would be closer to real life.

According to many sources like this, RA2 takes place within 1972-1973. Since the intro of RA3 takes place immediately after RA2: Yuri's Revenge, this means that the Soviet time machine was made long after Einstein made his.

Edited by areaseven

Yeah but the problem is they took out Einstein before he took out Hitler.

Because by that time, Einstein had already eliminated Hitler in 1924 in the first game. As a result, Hitler was completely erased from the RA timeline. Cherdenko, Krukov and Dr. Zelinsky traveled to 1927 to eliminate Einstein.

Of course, this results in the disappearance of nuclear weaponry, as Einstein had invented it. However, the game itself creates its own plot loophole, as the Allies still possess Chronosphere technology and other weaponry that Einstein invented in the first two games.

Edited by areaseven