Ah, I didn't know the canopy was capable of generating such a high-resolution display like that. It makes me wonder if there's a reason they still choose to use transparent canopies, rather than displaying a full surround image around the pilot at all times... kinda like the virtual cockpit in the VF-27. Would make sense, since you can just put more armor on the canopy to increase pilot protection.

Ah, I didn't know the canopy was capable of generating such a high-resolution display like that. It makes me wonder if there's a reason they still choose to use transparent canopies, rather than displaying a full surround image around the pilot at all times... kinda like the virtual cockpit in the VF-27. Would make sense, since you can just put more armor on the canopy to increase pilot protection.

The armoured cockpit (canopy) makes so much sense that it is indicated in a number of sources as a (major) technological development for VFs.

Why still use the transparent canopy? Aside from having the ultimate fail safe, the cons of the additional power demands for the display, the supplemental cameras, the additional processor requirements to combine the camera images into a seamless display and the additional maintenance requirements aren't counterbalanced by the gains of the additional armoured canopy (which adds weight, too. But will consider that negligible for this thought experiment. So, too, for development costs).

On the other hand, the transparent canopy also offers much more protection than current ones - OTEC and energy conversion armour. With the craft that did use armoured canopies, it appears that the main imagery was displayed in the pilot's mind (YF-21, (Y)VF-27). The exception being the Vahruta fighters. But they have some funky Protodeviln technology to compensate... or something.

We also can't discount VF522's point: realism is a major selling point in VF designs, after all.

Edited by sketchley

In the Macross Design Works, Kawamori does mention that he keeps designing Valkyries without any anti gravity systems in order to "give meaning to winged flight." So the overall look and feel of keeping Valkyries realistically designed is very important.

The armoured cockpit (canopy) makes so much sense that it is indicated in a number of sources as a (major) technological development for VFs.

Why still use the transparent canopy? Aside from having the ultimate fail safe, the cons of the additional power demands for the display, the supplemental cameras, the additional processor requirements to combine the camera images into a seamless display and the additional maintenance requirements aren't counterbalanced by the gains of the additional armoured canopy (which adds weight, too. But will consider that negligible for this thought experiment. So, too, for development costs).

On the other hand, the transparent canopy also offers much more protection than current ones - OTEC and energy conversion armour. With the craft that did use armoured canopies, it appears that the main imagery was displayed in the pilot's mind (YF-21, (Y)VF-27). The exception being the Vahruta fighters. But they have some funky Protodeviln technology to compensate... or something.

We also can't discount VF522's point: realism is a major selling point in VF designs, after all.

Once thing to keep in mind, is that it could be possible that the canopies are actually OTEC derived transparent aluminum. With today's technology we can come close to removing enough impurities to create a semi-transparent aluminum sheet, but not clear.

Good question. I've wondered that myself. Probably some tasteless synthetic slop rich in nutrients & vitamins. Which would make them appreciate Earth food all the more.

They also have space grog, for some reason, which is weird since they don't have any agriculture.

Is there a full, well-sourced article about the journey of HG's Macross master tapes from HG, to AnimEigo, to ADV anywhere?

There are some questions I can't find answers for... For example:

Why doesn't the AnimEigo version have a dub? (I heard it was because HG forbade it, but can't find a link.)

Did HG yank the license from AnimEigo, or did AnimEigo let it expire?

Did AnimEigo get paid by HG for the restoration work (since it was later used for Robotech Remastered)?

It expired. Animeigo's website did say that the license reverted back to HG. You will probably have to search the Internet Archive for the listing as Animeigo has removed most of their outdated catalog.

The Macross discs are subtitled only, with our usual detailed liner notes, and a few easter eggs as well. As the rights have reverted to Harmony Gold, Macross is no longer available from us, but we will maintain the information on this page as a courtesy to current owners of the title.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080608020952/http://www.animeigo.com/Products/macross.html

are there any time limits on the Harmony Gold license anyway or are they constantly renewing it?

Besides standard US trademark time limits, no. And they are renewing the trademark last I checked.

Is there a full, well-sourced article about the journey of HG's Macross master tapes from HG, to AnimEigo, to ADV anywhere?

There are some questions I can't find answers for... For example:

Why doesn't the AnimEigo version have a dub? (I heard it was because HG forbade it, but can't find a link.)

AnimeEigo never did dubs only professional subs.

As Azrael said, it expired and for some reason they were required to turn over all remaining inventory to HG. They had a "fire sale" before that happened, which is how I managed to get the full set for a fraction of the original retail price B))

HG then repackaged the stock and sold it on their site for a time until it ran out.

Did AnimEigo get paid by HG for the restoration work (since it was later used for Robotech Remastered)?

That is unclear. If they didn't, they would be within their rights to destroy all re-masted inventory they had in stock as well as the masters, but they didn't (well the inventory anyway). Instead they turned them over to HG (ripping the mastered video from the DVDs wouldn't be that hard). As it was, they didn't turn over the remastered audio files they created as that media was licensed directly from BIgWest / Studio Nue so it belonged to those companies. I have little doubt that the bottom feeder HG probably tried to get their hands on them anyway, but failed. <_<

Edited by Zinjo

Yes, he has Zentradi blood, and maybe a bit of Zolan as well.

Kinda late to the party, but Micheal could not be part Zolan if I am correct. The drama that was broadcast over the townships speakers, stated that Zolans are marsupials and could not mate with normal Humanoid races.

Kinda late to the party, but Micheal could not be part Zolan if I am correct. The drama that was broadcast over the townships speakers, stated that Zolans are marsupials and could not mate with normal Humanoid races.

I can't win, I guess. I've always mentioned that Zomeo and Zoliet bit, and always got shouted by people who disagreed with it. So, in order to spare being lectured, I decided not to say it this time...and get lectured about it anyway.

I was watching DYRL again last night, and during the opening battle scene, Misa mentions Skull, Angel, and Apollo Squadrons. Obviously, we know what Skull Squadrons markings look like. Was there ever any official indication of what Apollo and Angel marking looked like?

AnimEigo is pleased and proud to announce the licensing, from Harmony Gold, of SDF MACROSS - the original TV series.

Following in the footsteps of the popular Kimagure Orange Road Limited Edition VHS/LD Box Set, we will be releasing MACROSS as a limited edition subtitled DVD box set.

Please read the following very carefully before filling out the "Im Interested" form lower down on the page. And please, only fill out the form if you will definitely buy the set when it comes out!.

Status of the Macross Restoration Project (as of 4/19/01)...

I hope this helps!

http://wayback.archi...s.animeigo.com/

• 4 weeks later...
Is the planet Ave Maria ever mentioned in anything other than Isamu Alva Dyson's service record? The name caught my attention when looking at my Macross Plus film book and I can't find it anywhere else.

I don't recall it being mentioned elsewhere.