Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

It’s certainly something to look at, there’s a lot going on there.

Yeah, the original one from Macross Ace almost looks like something from a Miyazaki film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 8:28 PM, sketchley said:

Vagabond Elf, do you have a link to a Canadian dictionary with that particular definition?  If not, I'm curious what the context is for that particular definition.  (Work/company?  School?)

My source is an ex-RCN Chief Petty Officer I shared a university history class with.  Based on the definition Jenius found, I now conclude that his definition is jargon, rather than language. 

 

ETA: The CNTL-SHIFT-V trick may solve a problem I've been having in LibreOffice; I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Vagabond Elf
Spelling, additional comment
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bolt said:

I hear there’s going to be a Macross Delta game for the PS4, released at the end of the year. Does anyone have anymore details on this?

I got nothin' from my sources... the only hits I'm coming up with for Macross Delta-relevant games are Macross Delta Scramble, an android app I've never heard of with a limited time collaboration, and Super Robot Wars X-Ω.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm , ok. Thanks. I better recheck that article..

Now, about the VF-19 Advanced . I’m aware of how Isamu finagled his custom ride from his former team mate and chief  engineer of the YF-19 project. And presumably this E/F(?) version is relatively modern compared to the VF-25. I’m assuming it’s Exgear equipped and such. And since ,as of Frontier, Dyson works for SMS, I’m also assuming he can upgrade it further.. the thrust of my inquiry is how relevant is Isamu’s VF-19 now? It’s quite  a beautiful thing to behold . And , with him at the stick , probably VERY relevant. But how much more of a freak would he be in a YF-29 (guess he was actually, but wasn’t that a time travel thing?) Maybe at some point he’ll trade it in for a better version of the Siegfried, as he seems like a FS wing kind of guy now.

Is the VF-19 Advanced featured in the VFMF? Or just the Macross Chronicles?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bolt said:

[...] the thrust of my inquiry is how relevant is Isamu’s VF-19 now? It’s quite  a beautiful thing to behold . And , with him at the stick , probably VERY relevant. But how much more of a freak would he be in a YF-29 (guess he was actually, but wasn’t that a time travel thing?) Maybe at some point he’ll trade it in for a better version of the Siegfried, as he seems like a FS wing kind of guy now.

Well, specs-wise, it's the kind of aircraft that would only really be a credible threat in the hands of a completely insane adrenaline junkie like Isamu Alva Dyson.  By gutting the limiters, rolling back the airframe control AI to the YF-19-3 prototype build without the stabilization that Shinsei spent almost twenty years refining, and generally doing everything he could to make it as unstable and uncontrollable as possible, it's INSANELY maneuverable.  It's also so cruelly unforgiving that he's about the only one who could ever fly it safely.

He'd probably be pretty terrifying in a YF-24 Evolution or a YF-29 (he sure was in Macross 30)... but I'd expect he'd probably find the VF-25 or VF-31 pretty boring, since they're heavily stabilized, insulated against high g-forces, and generally as safe as Shinsei or LAI can make them.

 

15 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Is the VF-19 Advanced featured in the VFMF? Or just the Macross Chronicles?

Thus far, the (and this is multiple guess) - 

  • VF-19 (SMS Ver.)
  • VF-19ADVANCE Excalibur Advance
  • VF-19EF/A Excalibur (Isamu Sp.)

- has only been covered in the Official Complete Book for the film, Macross Chronicle, and the movie novelization.  Frustratingly, each one chose a different name for it, though the EF/A one seems to be the explanation that stuck for merchandising purposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome. Thanks for that!

On a purely speculative note, what is Isamu doing for SMS? We see him at the end of the second frontier movie flying in to kick some major a$$(is he commanding a squadron here, or solo?)

presumably he’s “matured” a bit and not such a loose cannon, so could perhaps lead a squadron (SMS special forces?) or he could be helping to develop or improve new fighters. But that could be boring for him at this point..

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bolt said:

On a purely speculative note, what is Isamu doing for SMS?

Working there.  Beyond that, we cannot say... because we don't know.

He left the NUNS for SMS because he wanted to fly rather than let his rank chain him to a desk (a trajectory that was his "reward" for his one-man assault on Earth) 

 

44 minutes ago, Bolt said:

presumably he’s “matured” a bit and not such a loose cannon, so could perhaps lead a squadron (SMS special forces?) or he could be helping to develop or improve new fighters. But that could be boring for him at this point..

SMS doesn't really handle development of new fighters... the Frontier fleet used them as test pilots for the VF-25's OPEVAL process because they were, legally speaking, expendable.  (As civilian contractors, any fatalities - including combat fatalities - were legally accidental deaths and thus they weren't eligible for any kind of compensation.)

As much of a loose cannon as he is, I'd expect he was probably allowed to go it alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bolt said:

Is his official SMS rank known? Would it correspond to his NUNS rank?

Not that I've seen... AFAIK the last time he's referred to by rank is as "Major Isamu Dyson of the New UN Spacy Reserve".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna throw this out here as the model peeps may not  know..I don't have this kit yet(will resolve that soon!) 3D153726-352B-4C0E-9AF1-55A947DA4F8C.png.7018dfdf0759a89590bea8025e2abed5.png

Is this Tenjin San's box art? I couldn't make out the printing in the lower corner..

Also, does anyone know which Island and fleet we're seeing in the backround?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Another sortie i need..

There are currently three volumes, Valkyries, Second Sortie, and Third Sortie.

 

31 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Is there a backstory or much info about this squadron?

IIRC they're mentioned briefly in the This is Animation: Macross Plus book.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Is there a backstory or much info about this squadron?

Turns out I did recall correctly... the SVF--124 Moon Shooters were first mentioned as a VF-17 squadron in This is Animation Special: Macross Plus (OVA Ver.) on page 96.  They were apparently split off from Apollo Base's Luna Guard and assigned to escort a long-distance emigrant fleet (but it doesn't say which).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dressykamila1 said:

why  sheryl have a throat surgery at the end of the second movie?

In the Macross Frontier movie version, Sheryl Nome's potentially lethal V-type infection was concentrated in her vocal cords rather than her brain.  Her vocal cords were being surgically removed and replaced so that the V-type infection wouldn't kill her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 7:06 AM, Bolt said:

Awesome. Thanks for that!

On a purely speculative note, what is Isamu doing for SMS? We see him at the end of the second frontier movie flying in to kick some major a$$(is he commanding a squadron here, or solo?)

presumably he’s “matured” a bit and not such a loose cannon, so could perhaps lead a squadron (SMS special forces?) or he could be helping to develop or improve new fighters. But that could be boring for him at this point..

As shown at the 25th anniversary Macross 7&Plus Festival event last week, he is piloting a freighter for SMS.

The in universe date was 2067 August

He looked exactly the the same as the last time we saw him as they reused animation stills. He still doesn't care about following the rules, as long as he gets the job done. He could be doing other jobs for SMS, thats just what he happened to be doing that day.

Edited by Bariaburu Faita
adding date
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bariaburu Faita said:

As shown at the 25th anniversary Macross 7&Plus Festival event last week, he is piloting a freighter for SMS.

The in universe date was 2067 August

He looked exactly the the same as the last time we saw him as they reused animation stills. He still doesn't care about following the rules, as long as he gets the job done. He could be doing other jobs for SMS, thats just what he happened to be doing that day.

WTF? A freighter??

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bolt said:

WTF? A freighter??

My understanding is that Isamu spent his life savings to buy his VF-19F/A. And fuel and maintenance for it would be astronomically expensive. So between wars he would need to earn money doing whatever SMS has for him. I do not believe he has matured enough to command a squadron, and I do not think he would want any position that involves responsibility or paperwork. I think he is happiest piloting, anything.

Edited by Bariaburu Faita
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JB0 said:

So here's a random question: do we know what happened to Petit-Cola after Space War 1? 

Nothing official comes to mind, however in our PBP RPG, it was active and quite large after SWI—even sponsoring some colonies.  E.g.: Petite Cola Ad Colony #34 http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Locations/PCAC34.php.

TLDR-the-link version:   "This colony was formed by colonists who wanted to have more control over their colony. They created the colony within the law, and signed a 50 year contract with Petite Cola for funding. In exchange for the money to start the colony, the colonist agree to broadcast Petite Cola ads to all travellers passing by. "

:lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 11:52 PM, JB0 said:

So here's a random question: do we know what happened to Petit-Cola after Space War 1? 

Probably still making vending machines that stalk people through the streets... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When's the last time anyone saw Petit-Cola?  I'm telling you it's gonna be a V 'ger thing one day. A petit-Cola autonomy will come back from beyond the galactic core and be the harbinger of Proto-Cola..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

This may have never been mentioned anywhere, but do you think all the Fast Packs and weapons and such that get ejected and discarded by fighters have trackers on them for recovery? It would seem quite expensive to be losing them everytime the pilot ejects them into space and flies off to save The Girl. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scream Man said:

This may have never been mentioned anywhere, but do you think all the Fast Packs and weapons and such that get ejected and discarded by fighters have trackers on them for recovery? It would seem quite expensive to be losing them everytime the pilot ejects them into space and flies off to save The Girl. 

Most FAST Packs are designed to be comparatively simple and inexpensive precisely because they're designed to be purged on the battlefield in combat conditions if they're damaged or if sacrificing them can prevent damage to the much more expensive aircraft.

Once the later generations of thermonuclear reaction turbine engine improved fuel efficiency to the point that FAST Packs were no longer strictly necessary for VFs to have reasonable operating times in space maneuvers, FAST Packs switched their focus from augmenting and reducing the burden on internal fuel stores to offsetting the addition of increasingly large amounts of weaponry and armor.  Consequently, FAST Packs became more complex and expensive and we started to see packs that could be ejected and reattached in the field, and packs that would bunch magnetically up for easy recovery if ejected like the SPS-25 Super Pack used by the VF-25 in Macross Frontier.

The first three generations of VF (e.g. VF-1, VF-4/5000, VF-11/14/17) had cheap, disposable FAST Packs that were little more than rocket boosters and slush tanks with some verniers and the occasional missile launcher slapped on.  The 4th Generation designs mostly didn't have FAST Packs because engines had reached the point where they didn't need the large external tanks (e.g. VF-19, VF-22, VF-171).  It was the 5th Generation (VF-25, VF-27, YF-29, VF-31) where we started to see these increasingly complex, feature-heavy FAST Packs designed to be easily recovered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The 4th Generation designs mostly didn't have FAST Packs because engines had reached the point where they didn't need the large external tanks (e.g. VF-19, VF-22, VF-171). 

Does this mean the FAST packs they tested in Macross Plus(including the cool forearm cannon on the -19) didn't make it to mass-production?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JB0 said:

Does this mean the FAST packs they tested in Macross Plus(including the cool forearm cannon on the -19) didn't make it to mass-production?

Probably not.  However, going by the Master File . . .

Nevertheless, keep in mind that Super Pack equipped VF-19 and VF-22 appeared in Macross 7.  So, it's likely that development continued on the test packs in M+, it just developed into something different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...