18 hours ago, Bolt said:

Whoa..!

While it might be a coincidence, ten years is the figure that Kawamori gave in his Otona Anime #9 interview about Macross Frontier when explaining why the New UN Government c.2059 is more decentralized than it was c.2045 in Macross 7.  Namely, that the farthest-flung emigrant fleets and planets were ten years from Earth by space fold.

18 hours ago, Bolt said:

A dedicated fleet (several!) combing the galaxy  for any and all lost Megaroads please . (But what if it’s not even in our galaxy any more..?)

That would be another problem, given that the "Minmay's Last Message" mail-in gift from one of the video games implied they'd found some manner of portal and may have entered it.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:32 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

That would be another problem, given that the "Minmay's Last Message" mail-in gift from one of the video games implied they'd found some manner of portal and may have entered it.

So they’re all lounging with Shin and Alto now..? Heh!

About the SV-262 Draken-

are there examples of it being used by the NUNS or any other governments aside from Windermere ?

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

So they’re all lounging with Shin and Alto now..? Heh!

About the SV-262 Draken-

are there examples of it being used by the NUNS or any other governments aside from Windermere ?

Some have taken that last message as meaning Megaroad 01 fell into a black hole, though I don't know if that is proven.

It's highly unlikely the Draken III is used anywhere else. It was pretty much made for Windermere, and not a design based on the current YF-24 Era. It's basically designed to fight NUNS (specifically, other VFs). NUNS themselves wants more capability.

There is also that... The Draken is not very capable... In fact it kinda sucks at anything beyond flying in an atmosphere due to its over specialized design and needs extra parts for fuel and missiles (especially in space) cause they just had to have a fancy transformation system. Also they literally bring swords to gunfights (they do also bring guns at least, but the swords are so unnecessary they are mainly there for Rule of Cool). The fighter is a symbol of a nation more than an effective combat tool like most other VFs are. I'd be shocked if anyone else used it. 

There was a scene in Delta series where a NUNS flotilla was immune to Var and kicked some Windbag ass, apparently, according to some sources. But I totally forgot it. Could anyone please share the episode number? (If it's true of course)

1 hour ago, Saruta said:

There was a scene in Delta series where a NUNS flotilla was immune to Var and kicked some Windbag ass, apparently, according to some sources. But I totally forgot it. Could anyone please share the episode number? (If it's true of course)

Delta episode 22, "Extreme Brave". Xaos and the N.U.N.S. attack Windermerian forces at Randall, and Captain Alberto Larrazábal leads his troops from Voldor for some payback. Back in episode 17, "Scatter on Stage", Arad and Kaname mention that some holdout Voldorian N.U.N.S. personnel had developed resistance to Vár Syndrome as a result of exposure to Walküre's singing.

Edited by SMS007

9 hours ago, Bolt said:

About the SV-262 Draken-

None that we know of.

It seems very unlikely that the Sv-262 would be used by the New UN Forces, given that it's known by its manufacturer's internal designation for it rather than a NUNF Variable Fighter designation.

It's possible that some independent forces like PMCs or other paramilitary groups might use it, since Xaos immediately recognized it once the jamming hiding them from their gun cameras was no longer in operation.  That suggests the design did get disclosed properly as required by law and that Epsilon was probably actively marketing it as an alternative to the various military 5th Generation VF designs.

3 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Some have taken that last message as meaning Megaroad 01 fell into a black hole, though I don't know if that is proven.

The "Megaroad-01 fell into a black hole" thing is, as noted previously, based on a gross misunderstanding of what that "Minmay's Last Message" postcard says...

It was pretty much made for Windermere, and not a design based on the current YF-24 Era. It's basically designed to fight NUNS (specifically, other VFs). NUNS themselves wants more capability.

As to whether or not it was based on the YF-24... that's kind of a yes-and-no sort of thing, since it isn't structurally derivative of the YF-24 Evolution but it does have the signature technical innovations developed for the YF-24 like ISC, Stage II reaction engines, and so on.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

None that we know of.

It seems very unlikely that the Sv-262 would be used by the New UN Forces, given that it's known by its manufacturer's internal designation for it rather than a NUNF Variable Fighter designation.

It's possible that some independent forces like PMCs or other paramilitary groups might use it, since Xaos immediately recognized it once the jamming hiding them from their gun cameras was no longer in operation.  That suggests the design did get disclosed properly as required by law and that Epsilon was probably actively marketing it as an alternative to the various military 5th Generation VF designs.

I hadn't considered that, but I took it as them just knowing Windermere had the fighter already.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The "Megaroad-01 fell into a black hole" thing is, as noted previously, based on a gross misunderstanding of what that "Minmay's Last Message" postcard says..

Yeah that doesn't surprise me somehow.

3 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As to whether or not it was based on the YF-24... that's kind of a yes-and-no sort of thing, since it isn't structurally derivative of the YF-24 Evolution but it does have the signature technical innovations developed for the YF-24 like ISC, Stage II reaction engines, and so on.

I was thinking structurally.. as the tech was something that would be spread regardless.. I consider that Gen 5 tech, not YF-24 based stuff.. even if the 24 was the first to be designed with it in mind.

9 hours ago, Bolt said:

About the SV-262 Draken-

45 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

None that we know of.

40 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

I hadn't considered that, but I took it as them just knowing Windermere had the fighter already.

I assume that SV Works under Epsilon ownership had already publicly marketed the Sv-262 somewhere else given its program goal of competing with Spacy fighters. After all, its predecessor the Sv-154 must have been public knowledge given its mass usage by Windermerian forces during the latter years of N.U.N.G. rule.

21 hours ago, Master Dex said:

While we don't have a definitive timeline for the Sv-262's development and adoption, the gaiden manga Macross Delta: the White Knight of the Black Wing suggests that Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind obtained their Sv-262s only a year or two before the Aerial Knights first sortie at Al Shahal.  If the New UN Forces had known Windermere IV had them, they probably would've identified them before they openly declared themselves.

21 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I was thinking structurally.. as the tech was something that would be spread regardless.. I consider that Gen 5 tech, not YF-24 based stuff.. even if the 24 was the first to be designed with it in mind.

The Sv-262 definitely has some design lineage to New UN Forces fighters... particularly the VF-9, given that the SV Works were once owned by General Galaxy.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

While we don't have a definitive timeline for the Sv-262's development and adoption, the gaiden manga Macross Delta: the White Knight of the Black Wing suggests that Windermere IV's Kingdom of the Wind obtained their Sv-262s only a year or two before the Aerial Knights first sortie at Al Shahal.  If the New UN Forces had known Windermere IV had them, they probably would've identified them before they openly declared themselves.

The Sv-262 definitely has some design lineage to New UN Forces fighters... particularly the VF-9, given that the SV Works were once owned by General Galaxy.

I concede on these points. Not that I was trying to fight it. I admit to some ignorance since I can't examine all the supplementary materials like you can. That is why it is nice to have you around, heh.

I had forgotten the General Galaxy connect to SV Works too. Another notch of the shady history of that company, heh.. well not SV Works in general.. but their ties through Epsilon who provided to Windermere knowing their plans is the shady bit. I can guess SV Works on it's own, as well as Epsilon in some respects, has at least initial legitimacy before this war. My point mainly being that it seems shady deals an individuals seem to often result from General Galaxy even when they aren't directly involved anymore.

9 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I had forgotten the General Galaxy connect to SV Works too. Another notch of the shady history of that company, heh.. well not SV Works in general.. but their ties through Epsilon who provided to Windermere knowing their plans is the shady bit. I can guess SV Works on it's own, as well as Epsilon in some respects, has at least initial legitimacy before this war. My point mainly being that it seems shady deals an individuals seem to often result from General Galaxy even when they aren't directly involved anymore.

Starting in Macross Frontier, Kawamori's new "hobby horse" Aesop seems to be that megacorporations are shady as f*ck and able to perpetrate all manner of crimes under cover of the sheer size of the company.

Macross Galaxy was basically an autonomous subsidiary of General Galaxy so it's not clear how much culpability the parent company had for the actions of the Galaxy Executives.

The Epsilon Foundation is a more clear-cut example, since we've had at least two examples of evil (or at least greedy and amoral) executives from that organization who were directly acting to stir up conflict for the sake of their various enterprises.  Ramla Saied in Macross E was leading research in weaponizing Var syndrome in 2062 and even facilitated a test that effectively took the form of an attempted coup d'etat on the planet Pipure.  Berger Stone in Macross Delta, of course, was essentially pulling an Anaheim Electronics and selling arms and equipment to both sides in Windermere's invasion of the Brisingr cluster.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Berger Stone in Macross Delta, of course, was essentially pulling an Anaheim Electronics and selling arms and equipment to both sides in Windermere's invasion of the Brisingr cluster.

Enabling Windermere to attempt to rule the galaxy might be worthy of punishment..of course he could always play stupid ignorance to the whole affair.

Though he wasn’t.

And, considering the source, how reliable is this Lady M dangle anyhow?

13 minutes ago, Bolt said:

And, considering the source, how reliable is this Lady M dangle anyhow?

The last official comment I saw from Macross Delta's creators indicated that they had never actually determined an identity for Lady M.

The few tidbits we got from official publications and the show itself would tend to make Berger's claim of a Megaroad-01 connection profoundly unlikely... and also pretty well shot down the theories that she was a pre-existing character.

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

13 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I had forgotten the General Galaxy connect to SV Works too. Another notch of the shady history of that company, heh.. well not SV Works in general.. but their ties through Epsilon who provided to Windermere knowing their plans is the shady bit. I can guess SV Works on it's own, as well as Epsilon in some respects, has at least initial legitimacy before this war. My point mainly being that it seems shady deals an individuals seem to often result from General Galaxy even when they aren't directly involved anymore.

Dont forget that the SV Works Sv-262 utilizes a holographic cockpit just as the Guld Works VF-27 (and probably the YF-27 as well) does with cybergrunts. In turn, the latter directly evolved that feature from the BDI-equipped cockpit of the YF-21 / VF-22 developed by the core worlds division of General Galaxy. 

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The last official comment I saw from Macross Delta's creators indicated that they had never actually determined an identity for Lady M.

The few tidbits we got from official publications and the show itself would tend to make Berger's claim of a Megaroad-01 connection profoundly unlikely... and also pretty well shot down the theories that she was a pre-existing character.

Is it more likely that the TPTB dangled that tid-bit [Lady M] to ensure long time adult fans of Macross paid attention to Macross Delta?

Edited by TehPW

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

Is it more likely that the TPTB dangled that tid-bit [Lady M] to ensure long time adult fans of Macross paid attention to Macross Delta?

I got the impression they just did that to mess with people honestly...

9 hours ago, TehPW said:

I have no special insight into the production staff's frame of mind on that front... but it certainly feels like it was intended to grab the attention of long-time Macross fans who were not following the show for various reasons.  The problem is it doesn't fit with any of the previous statements about Lady M, so it feels like a cynical attempt to get attention from the older fans and it kind of takes the protagonists down another notch intelligence-wise as they're apparently now too stupid to even know who they work for given that they have fairly regular contact with Lady M and yet apparently have no idea who she is.

Quite sneaky and , ultimately, annoying.

back to our regular broadcast noob program..

About Frontier. So the Vajra bail (presumably to find another world to inhabit) out to parts unknown (?) and Alto goes with them, pulling an Ender-ish maneuver. Is it hinted or stated if they all went trans Galactic?

6 minutes ago, Bolt said:

About Frontier. So the Vajra bail (presumably to find another world to inhabit) out to parts unknown (?) and Alto goes with them, pulling an Ender-ish maneuver. Is it hinted or stated if they all went trans Galactic?

The Macross Frontier TV series indirectly states that the Vajra hive that humanity had attacked was leaving the galaxy to go get their giant invertebrate freak on with another Vajra hive in another galaxy... but, of course, in that version they didn't temporarily take Alto.

The Macross Frontier movie version never establishes where they went, but one of the artbooks implies they at least were nice enough to stop and drop Alto off somewhere safe before proceeding onwards.

46 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

I still can't believe Kawamori thought the ending of Sayonara no Tsubasa was clear and self-evident. When I watched the movie the first time around, I missed the moment the Vajra Queen escaped by fold because I blinked once.

I was so glued to the dog fight between Alto & Brera..multiple rewinds..

Ok just a sec. 

Just rewatching some Delta , and just caught the part where Roid says Ketchup boy is the descendant of the legendary star singer..? Is this star singer the “true king” Rudanjal  Rom Mayan?

I must’ve missed this before when I first watched the series and was not feeling it.

Is there any other references to this “legendary star singer?”

This isn’t an M2 connection , is it?

its also  interesting to note that the 171 is still a main stay fighter  

Edited by Bolt

The star singer is a protoculture designed to use songs to affect fold waves. Mikumo is a clone of the Star singer and why Roid used her. It seems it was one of the protoculture's many ways of copying the Vajra which might explain the lack of originally in Roid's final plan. 

Heinz was the wind singer, a line of Windermerians who had that power too but far less than the star singer ability. 

I could see Heinz being descended from a line of wind singers (though it seems not all of them are wind singers), due to a vague ancient protoculture connection (Roid certainly would assume it was ordained).

Edited by Master Dex

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

Just rewatching some Delta , and just caught the part where Roid says Ketchup boy is the descendant of the legendary star singer..? Is this star singer the “true king” Rudanjal  Rom Mayan?

... it'd help if you gave us an episode number and timecode.  Still, I suspect you're confusing Star Singers and Wind Singers.

Wind Singer is what the natives of Windermere IV call the members of their species who possesses an unusually high fold receptor factor; individuals capable of projecting very powerful biological fold waves by singing.  Indications in-series are that this is a rare (possibly recessive?) heritable trait that runs in the Kingdom of the Wind's royal family.  It also appears to be of religious significance to Windermere IV's (initially unwitting) full-blown Protoculture cargo cult religion.  

Star Singer is an apparent Protoculture construct of uncertain classification - possibly a bio-android - that was a powerful fold singer intended to operate the delta wave system the Protoculture created in an attempt to bring an end to conflict in the galaxy by uniting the consciousnesses of all sentient beings.

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

Is there any other references to this “legendary star singer?”

The legendary star singer they reference at one point or other appears to have been the last Star Singer left on Windermere when the Protoculture either went extinct or legged it to elsewhere.  Mikumo may or may not be a clone of her.

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

This isn’t an M2 connection , is it?

No, Macross II's legendary whatsit wasn't a person... it was a ship.  Specifically, the Ship of Alus that an ancient Mardook prophecy said would come from a blue planet and bring an end to the Mardook's warlike, xenophobic way of life by bringing them peace.  The whole to-do around the OVA's second half was Ishtar's belief that the decommissioned SDF-1's history likely meant it was the Ship of Alus.  (It would seem to have been something of a self-fulfilling prophecy, given that Ishtar's belief in it seems to have encouraged her to try bringing peace to her people by sharing the songs of love she found on Earth.)

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

its also  interesting to note that the 171 is still a main stay fighter  

Not really... Macross Delta basically lazily reused the exact same rationale that Macross Frontier used to justify SMS having the VF-25s before the Macross Frontier fleet's NUNS.

What Kawamori and Chiba wrote for the VF-31 Kairos's circumstances broadly parallels Japan's own next-generation fighter program.  Like Japan, the Brisingr globular cluster took a look at export offerings for next-gen fighters and they were unavailable, too expensive, or politically untenable so they opted to launch domestic development of their own next-gen fighter to replace a fleet of aging build-under-license fighters and call it an economic stimulus.  Because they were used to buying export models or licenses to build versions of the fighters developed elsewhere, their development of a next-gen fighter is lagging a solid decade behind everyone else's.

Consequently, the VF-171-II is still their main fighter.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:47 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

... it'd help if you gave us an episode number and timecode.  Still, I suspect you're confusing Star Singers and Wind Singers.

Episode 19. About 13:30 in.

Perhaps it’s the translation I’m getting..“Furthermore, his majesty is the descendant of the legendary star singer”

Roid speaking of Heinz.

25 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Perhaps it’s the translation I’m getting..“Furthermore, his majesty is the descendant of the legendary star singer”

Roid speaking of Heinz.

I checked, and it's not a mistranslation... Roid really does say Heinz is a descendant of the legendary Star Singer.

That raises a series of awkward questions like:

1. Did Roid even know what a Star Singer actually is at that point?  The Sigur Berrentzs didn't spell it out for him until the end of episode 21.
  2. Roid is a crazy person hopped up on delusions of manifest destiny inspired by combining the Windermerean religion with galactic ancient history... is he really citing a verifiable historical fact that the Kingdom of the Wind's royal family are biological descendants of a Star Singer, or is this just Windermere IV's equivalent of the sort of god-king tradition that was all too common in ancient kingdoms on Earth?  "You have especially powerful runes therefore you must be a descendant of the star singer" and all... even though most kings weren't wind singers.
  3. Does this mean one of Heinz's ancestors f***ed an android?  Active star singers are subject to mind control... he basically shagged an appliance, the pervert.
  4. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to jump straight from "Windermereans are superior life forms because we were naturally born with weak fold receptors" to "our king's superpower is a direct result of having important non-Windermerean ancestors"?  

Is there a play-by-play of the Delta movie big battle somewhere? I have rewatched a few times but still don't really understand who shoots at whom at what moment, or how Walkure got protected from an Itano Circus aimed at them, or exactly how Roid and Keith are facing each other in person moments after sword-fighting in mecha, etc, etc.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I checked, and it's not a mistranslation... Roid really does say Heinz is a descendant of the legendary Star Singer.

1. Did Roid even know what a Star Singer actually is at that point?  The Sigur Berrentzs didn't spell it out for him until the end of episode 21.
  2. Roid is a crazy person hopped up on delusions of manifest destiny inspired by combining the Windermerean religion with galactic ancient history... is he really citing a verifiable historical fact that the Kingdom of the Wind's royal family are biological descendants of a Star Singer, or is this just Windermere IV's equivalent of the sort of god-king tradition that was all too common in ancient kingdoms on Earth?  "You have especially powerful runes therefore you must be a descendant of the star singer" and all... even though most kings weren't wind singers.
  3. Does this mean one of Heinz's ancestors f***ed an android?  Active star singers are subject to mind control... he basically shagged an appliance, the pervert.
  4. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to jump straight from "Windermereans are superior life forms because we were naturally born with weak fold receptors" to "our king's superpower is a direct result of having important non-Windermerean ancestors"?  

I'd bet it's just Roid trying to goad Heinz into helping by lying... cause you point out exactly why it makes no sense.

Unrelated, but I really like your Hiragana face avatar... I want to try to pronounce it but I'm not sure what order to say it in, lol.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Does this mean one of Heinz's ancestors f***ed an android?  Active star singers are subject to mind control... he basically shagged an appliance, the pervert.

LMFAO!

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It wasn’t the Sigur Berrentzs featured in episode 21; it was the Time Shrine underneath Derwent on Windermere that had the magic mural appear out of nowhere.

I seem to remember a different moment wherein Roid described the Star Singer as a priestess left on Windermere by the Protoculture, though I don’t remember which episode that was.

As to your main question, I’m not sure I can come up with a plausible answer given the absolute mess of Delta’s writing. Why would the Protoculture give one of their servitor species a means of direct control over one of their own members? (Well, I guess the stupid storytelling never specifies the exact species identification of Mikumo or her clone template, so that’s an assumption on my part.) That seems like handing over the Bird Human’s firepower over to the Zentraedi and trusting that they will use it for entirely good and just reasons.

By the way, the spelling of the demonym is “Windermerian”. 

15 hours ago, Saruta said:

Is there a play-by-play of the Delta movie big battle somewhere? I have rewatched a few times but still don't really understand who shoots at whom at what moment, or how Walkure got protected from an Itano Circus aimed at them, or exactly how Roid and Keith are facing each other in person moments after sword-fighting in mecha, etc, etc.

None that I've seen?  I can maybe throw something together later.

11 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I'd bet it's just Roid trying to goad Heinz into helping by lying... cause you point out exactly why it makes no sense.

Roid's family are priests or shrine keepers who manage the Protoculture ruins that are the focus of Windermere IV's Protoculture cargo cult state religion, so I'm inclined to suspect that it's not something he just made up.  My personal theory is that the Kingdom of the Wind's equivalent of the divine right of kings is a divine lineage tradition similar to ancient Shinto tradition (from at least the early 8th century) that Japan's imperial family are direct descendants of the goddess Amaterasu.  They venerate the Star Singer as a gift from the gods (the Protoculture), so that'd be an easy way for the royal family to assert a right to rule by claiming a special connection to the gods.  Whether there's any fact to it is another matter entirely... though if the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree, keep Heinz away from the consumer electronics.

11 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Unrelated, but I really like your Hiragana face avatar... I want to try to pronounce it but I'm not sure what order to say it in, lol.

"Henohenomoheji" (He-no-he-no-mo-he-ji) or, less commonly, "hehenonomoheji". 

It's a meaningless pseudoword that is used to refer to the face you can make from those hiragana characters.  Kids draw them as faces on scarecrows or teru teru bozu, and it shows up in fiction a lot as a face drawn on a dummy or other body double to taunt the discoverer.

9 hours ago, SMS007 said:

I seem to remember a different moment wherein Roid described the Star Singer as a priestess left on Windermere by the Protoculture, though I don’t remember which episode that was.

I remember that as well... it's speculated that that was the source of the cell samples that Wright Immelmann "stole" from the ruins.

As to your main question, I’m not sure I can come up with a plausible answer given the absolute mess of Delta’s writing. Why would the Protoculture give one of their servitor species a means of direct control over one of their own members? (Well, I guess the stupid storytelling never specifies the exact species identification of Mikumo or her clone template, so that’s an assumption on my part.) That seems like handing over the Bird Human’s firepower over to the Zentraedi and trusting that they will use it for entirely good and just reasons.

It's speculated in Macross 30 that Mina Forte is a bio-android... and considering the influence she wielded over the Protoculture ruins on Uroboros, Mikumo seems likely to be a similar technorganic construct.  The Protoculture based a LOT of stuff on their own DNA, so both Mina and Mikumo may technically be Protoculture or a close approximation of them.

By the way, the spelling of the demonym is “Windermerian”. 

Since they're so full of "wind" and sh*t, why not just call them the Beano Brigade and have done with it? :p