Yes, especially at lower speeds, a lot of movement could be had just by the movements of the legs and slight tilting of the thrust coming from the feet/engine nozzles. For a good example of that, just look at the first Frontier movie, added section where Alto takes off in Gilliam's VF-25 for the first time. He's skating and maneuvering on engine thrust.

Hello. I have been on this forums since just a few years ago and I was wondering if anyone remembers the amount of time that passed between the announcement of Macross Frontier and the December 2007 special. I would like to make my own calculations for the amount of time left before a new series is officially announced...

From "Theatrical Macross F: Sayonara Tsubasa Official Complete Book" pg 112 Project History

2005: decision to make a new production for the 25th anniversary.

2007 spring: Victor Vocal & Voice Audition starts

2007.07: new Macross announcement in Newtype.

~

2007.12.23 & 28: Macross F special broadcast.

Hope it helps.

Edited by sketchley

Got a Macross II time line question.

The games Macross Eternal Love Song and Macross 2036 take place only in the Macross II continuity is this correct?

I know that DYRL exists in Macross II but does Flashback 2012 also exist in this timeline?

Do any other events take place in the Macross II timeline?

Thanks for the assistance.

The games Macross Eternal Love Song and Macross 2036 take place only in the Macross II continuity is this correct?

Yes, both Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song take place only in the Macross II "parallel world" continuity.

I know that DYRL exists in Macross II but does Flashback 2012 also exist in this timeline?

Yes.

Do any other events take place in the Macross II timeline?

Yeah, there's a fair amount of activity in the periods between the various titles of Macross II's universe. It's mostly outlined in a series of articles that were run in Newtype, Animage, and B-Club to promote the series. The Zentradi and Meltrandi remain the big threat on the horizon, with a lot of minor skirmishes in the aftermath of Space War 1 and a fair few large-scale attacks which occurred in 2036, 2037, 2054, and 2082. The war in 2054 was a real big mess, which pulverized a lot of the UN Spacy's forces during a massive sustained engagement at Pluto's orbit, but the aftermath of the war led to major advancements in technology that eventually manifested in all of the new ships and mecha seen in Macross II. The 2082 invasion, which Sylvie alludes to in the OVA, was an overwhelming victory for the UN Spacy thanks to their new toys and a refined Minmay Defense... and also is kind of a thinly-veiled reference to Macross II being the 10th Anniversary show. Among the other points of interest are having dedicated civilian Valkyries appear in 2051, the use of both Macross- and Megaroad-class ships for space colonization, etc.

EDIT: Typo'd the date of civilian VF introduction, the first model came out in 2051.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Quick question, what was the names of those two short CG Valk videos released when Frontier was showing? The first video was a Frontier version and featured Frontier only VFs, the second video featured non-Frontier Valks.

Seem to have lost them from my hard drives and just can't remember what they were called!!

Graham.

.I wasn't sure where to post this, but watching the bonus on the french SDFM dvd set (which i never did before, not usually a fan of bonus material^^), i noticed there was a very interesting interview with shoji kawamori and the rest of the staff. They explain how the story evolved as the show aired and many of their unused ideas :

Global being adbucted twice by the zentradi trio

Hikaru and Misa's windows being in front of each other, and them talking to each other at night (they actually imply it may still be that way in the actual show, just never shown)

the fold engine's destruction creating a "portal" to other parts of the ship

how the supervision army was supposed to arrive and save the day before the show was reduced to 27 episodes.

A lot of interesting things i had never read anywhere in English before, but maybe i missed it

Has anyone heard about all of that before ?

Edited by flobo

hi guys.. i'm kinda noob in this forum.. but there's one thing that always bugging me with the sdf 1.. and that thing is the "arm" that attached as the main launch platform for the variable fighter..

as we all know.. in tv series the sdf 0ne using two carrier as an attachment arm.. but in macross do you remember love the arm is not using those two carrier.. i always thought that in macross world continuity the arm is using two carrier (the carirer daedalus and promotheus..) but then i watch macross plus and the arm section there's no daedalus and promotheus class carrier that attached , instead the sdf one is using armd..just like in the movie

so which one is the real continuity? is it the series version? or the movie version that the real one? can anyone explain it to me?

Edited by valid

hi guys.. i'm kinda noob in this forum.. but there's one thing that always bugging me with the sdf 1.. and that thing is the "arm" that attached as the main launch platform for the variable fighter..

as we all know.. in tv series the sdf 0ne using two carrier as an attachment arm.. but in macross do you remember love the arm is not using those two carrier.. i always thought that in macross world continuity the arm is using two carrier (the carirer daedalus and promotheus..) but then i watch macross plus and the arm section there's no daedalus and promotheus class carrier that attached , instead the sdf one is using armd..just like in the movie

so which one is the real continuity? is it the series version? or the movie version that the real one? can anyone explain it to me?

Both. Macross with Prometheus and Daedalus? Pre-2012. Macross with ARMD carriers? Post-2012. After 2012, Macross was rebuilt and refitted with the ARMD carriers. Why does Macross in the DYRL? movie appear with the ARMD carriers? Because the movie is a movie-within-a-movie. DYRL? is a retelling of the events for both the real-world audience and the in-universe audience.

Although....historical accuracy may be a little off..... :)

Easy enough for you to understand?

canon = way things happened

in general people have taken the approach that DYRL is fictive film inside the setting while SDFM is the "real" history. But there's no explicit mention of this anywhere as far as I know and Macross Frontier at latest should've buried the plausibility of that notion. For example it doesn't make any sense if DYRL was never performed in the "real past" because it would rob the dramatic impact of its subversion in ep 24 ("oh Grace was just referring just to that old blockbuster film couple of decades ago") and Bilrer, the biggest Minmay otaku in the Galaxy, has a picture of her *in the DYRL outfit* - why on Earth would she choose a portrait of actress of her when so many real ones are around of her?

The DYRL designs (like with Macross itself as can be seen in Plus and Frontier) were also the ones that following titles used. There are Zentraedi and their ships who look like DYRL Zentraedi too instead of "big humans" of SDFM. Et cetera et cetera. 2012 animated the planned ending scenes for BOTH continuities, the launch of Megaroad-01 of SDFM and Minmay concert of DYRL.

Similarly there's no telling if "what really happened" in Macross Plus followed the film or OVA version (that are mostly identical anyway).

The "ship design was rehauled after 2012" is as good explanation as any but never make the mistake of assuming Kawamori and his comrades actually approach next Macross title while treating some specific version of events as canon and one as fiction. I'm sure next Macross title will have references to both series and film continuities of Frontier in similar fashion to past.

whoops.. sory for my laziness with the google sir.. but i thought that canon is like some slank word that only being use in macross world

canon = way things happened

in general people have taken the approach that DYRL is fictive film inside the setting while SDFM is the "real" history. But there's no explicit mention of this anywhere as far as I know and Macross Frontier at latest should've buried the plausibility of that notion. For example it doesn't make any sense if DYRL was never performed in the "real past" because it would rob the dramatic impact of its subversion in ep 24 ("oh Grace was just referring just to that old blockbuster film couple of decades ago") and Bilrer, the biggest Minmay otaku in the Galaxy, has a picture of her *in the DYRL outfit* - why on Earth would she choose a portrait of actress of her when so many real ones are around of her?

The DYRL designs (like with Macross itself as can be seen in Plus and Frontier) were also the ones that following titles used. There are Zentraedi and their ships who look like DYRL Zentraedi too instead of "big humans" of SDFM. Et cetera et cetera. 2012 animated the planned ending scenes for BOTH continuities, the launch of Megaroad-01 of SDFM and Minmay concert of DYRL.

Similarly there's no telling if "what really happened" in Macross Plus followed the film or OVA version (that are mostly identical anyway).

The "ship design was rehauled after 2012" is as good explanation as any but never make the mistake of assuming Kawamori and his comrades actually approach next Macross title while treating some specific version of events as canon and one as fiction. I'm sure next Macross title will have references to both series and film continuities of Frontier in similar fashion to past.

Most of us have just learned to deal with Macross' lack of a straightforward canon anyhow.

so the reality in macross universe is not asclear as marvel universe or even gundam UC. thank's a lot for the explanation

Edited by valid

whoops.. sory for my laziness with the google sir.. but i thought that canon is like some slank word that only being use in macross world

It's a perfectly cromulant word...

so the reality in macross universe is not asclear as marvel universe or even gundam UC. thank's a lot for the explanation

Does it really matter? It's a fictional world. Why get wrapped up in "what actually happened," when, really, NONE of it happened...?

Does it really matter? It's a fictional world. Why get wrapped up in "what actually happened," when, really, NONE of it happened...?

You forget who you're talking to. A bunch of folks who have nothing better to do than nitpick fictional stats from a work of fiction.

Eh... it's actually a lot clearer than folks here are making it out to be.

Kawamori's notoriously evasive on the subject of the whole Series vs DYRL thing, but the official publications do a lot to offset his reluctance. In the past, his general position has been that the "truth" of Space War 1 is somewhere between the two versions we see... tho the timeline published in Macross Chronicle indicates, for the most part, that the series version is "correct" at least for continuity purposes. There are explanations in-universe for why some of the DYRL designs supplanted their TV series versions, such as the Macross w/ ARMDs being the result of a repair/retrofit operation (and later, the mass production type), or the VF-1s from the series and movie being the early and late production block versions of the same aircraft. When it comes to the design aesthetics, both versions are typically "correct" and can even be seen side-by-side in the animation in Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

Macross as a whole takes a fairly flexible approach to continuity and canon, but there's usually a good deal of overlap or some kind of explanation when there are multiple versions of a particular story.

(As a side note, Macross II: Lovers Again and the other titles of its "parallel world" continuity are the exception to the rule. Theirs is, appropriately enough, a more Gundam-like approach to defining continuity with no ambiguity as to which version of the Space War 1 events is the right one.)

This actually reminds me of what George Lucas told the author of "The Making of Episode 3" book on the first day of shooting. Lucas told the author that the movies were actually being told by R2D2 to the "Keeper of the Whills" , 100 years after the events occur. In both cases, we may never know the true story. In the mean time, enjoy your space battles :)

FIXED

Is Macross Frontier the newest super long range emigrant fleet and how often do super long range emigrant fleets launch?

No, and from approximately the 2010's to the 2040's, they launch at a rate of 1 to 2 per year.

You forget who you're talking to. A bunch of folks who have nothing better to do than nitpick fictional stats from a work of fiction.

I still love the anology Gubaba gave me about my DYRL question. I don't remember it all, but what do involved Kate Winslet's breasts and Minmay's breasts and someting with the Titanic .....Ahh good times, good times. ^_^ Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X