(change Unified to UN at your pleasure. UN would be how it's generally rendered on screen, Unified is an accurate translation of the terms used in Japanese).

So, it's best to say that post Interstellar War 1, it's been officially "New", but hasn't been applied consistently until Macross F. (My guess is that it has something to do with the results of the RW copyright trials, but that's just me.)

I'd agree with that assessment regarding RW copyright rulings and add Western TM's as well.

The re-organization of UNS to NUNS became an convenient tool for Kawamori to change the name and insignia of "Federal" fleets. It also provided a dramatic tool to reorganize the UNG. Empowered by the Galaxy Network, the UNG became a federation of member states. Whether those states were colony worlds or emigration fleets, each were an autonomous member world of the UNG, but separate with their own governments.

It also opens the door to inter-colonial conflicts and frees up the creative team from being tethered to emigration fleets like it has been with the last two series'.

"Macross the Race" is also expounding on the idea that Federal government is "holding back" the bleeding edge technological advancements for UNG controlled NUNS fleets and not fulling disclosing them to emigration fleets. Hence the desire / need for emigration fleets to develop their own versions of next generation fighters - VF-25 and VF-27, based off the YF-24 airframe. Not unlike how governments operate today. The US F-16 is a different aircraft than the Japanese version or even the Israeli version, yet they look similar.

I tend to believe the VF-24 is the next generation of Federal fighter that has much more under the hood than the emigration fleets are aware of. This gives the Feds a tactical advantage if the need ever arose for them to defend themselves against an aggressive or rogue state.

Edited by Zinjo

"Macross the Ride" is also expounding on the idea that ...

Fixed.

I tend to believe the YF-24 is the next generation of Federal fighter that has much more under the hood than the emigration fleets are aware of.

Also fixed. And that depends on who's building it. The only major breakthroughs for the YF-24 and YF-24 Evolution were Stage II thermonuclear engines, linear actuators, and ISC (a significant breakthrough for the latter). Since the plans for this design was passed to other fleets, we don't know what the others besides Frontier or Galaxy have come up with.

How come the VF-27 is not referred to as the YF-27 at this point? It hasn't yet been officially announced to the public.

To the NUN, it is the YF-27. Galaxy worked on it without the NUN's knowledge so they treat it as a YF.

Well, with the sheer advances of the YF-24 family, I can't imagine what the official NUNS fighter would be like. Most likely a monstrosity. Either that, or the fleets are very good at catching up and could start being regarded with suspicion.

Only accounting for the maneuverability of the VF-25 and the firepower of the VF-27 one could say they would represent serious threats if they can compete or even beat special forces oriented VFs like the 19 and 22. If the YF-19 could break through the Earth's defenses and both SMS and the Galaxy fleet have more capable fighters, I'd guess the NUNs is in for a good dose of paranoia.

Only accounting for the maneuverability of the VF-25 and the firepower of the VF-27 one could say they would represent serious threats if they can compete or even beat special forces oriented VFs like the 19 and 22. If the YF-19 could break through the Earth's defenses and both SMS and the Galaxy fleet have more capable fighters, I'd guess the NUNs is in for a good dose of paranoia.

They can.

The main limitation on the VF-19 and VF-22 is their G resistance, which is limited to what the pilot can sustain in his G-reducing suit and seat. The VF-25 has G-reducing EX-Gear AND ISC, effectively doubling the pilot's G resistance compared to a VF-19 pilot. The VF-27? Not including ISC, a cyborg pilot is immune to quite high G forces.

Fixed.

Also fixed. And that depends on who's building it. The only major breakthroughs for the YF-24 and YF-24 Evolution were Stage II thermonuclear engines, linear actuators, and ISC (a significant breakthrough for the latter). Since the plans for this design was passed to other fleets, we don't know what the others besides Frontier or Galaxy have come up with.

Thanks for the corrections.

I was not referring to other fleets or colonies, but the Federally controlled NUNS fleets, like Macross 13 fleets. The "YF" designator is reserved for prototypes (in US military terms) and if an aircraft is adopted the YF designator is dropped in favor of the "F" or in a Macross case "VF". They don't magically change their number if they go into production as some may think. The YF-17 Cobra - the prototype fighter that lost the USAF competition to the YF-16, became the basis for the Navy's F-18 later on. Similarly the YF-21 lost the UN competition to the YF-19, but became the basis for the VF-22.

The reasoning behind my belief that the YF-24 has become the NUNS new VF-24 is the logical progression and implication that the NUNS would not transmit the designs for the fighter if was not adopted for production. Some colony and emigration fleets might take the YF-24 and not modify it at all, whereas others may choose to develop a VF-26 or VF-28, much like how the VF-25 and VF-27 were developed. I would guess that VF-26 and YF-28 variants must exist otherwise why call the Lucifer a VF-27 or the new fighter a YF-29, if we are following US military aircraft numbering conventions?

Kawamori may like odd numbers for his fighters, but that is a personal preference of his. In the US military, the numbers are assigned based on the order in which the planes are submitted for evaluation to the military, nothing more mystical than that. Hence why there seemed to be a jump from F-18 to F-22 to F-35. Other designs simply didn't win their respective competitions or make it off the drawing board.

To the NUN, it is the YF-27. Galaxy worked on it without the NUN's knowledge so they treat it as a YF.

Was that in the Chronicle?

I've never heard that before...

Edited by Zinjo

The reasoning behind my belief that the YF-24 has become the NUNS new VF-24 is the logical progression and implication that the NUNS would not transmit the designs for the fighter if was not adopted for production.

Probably should have mentioned that Shinsei Industries was the one to pass along the designs, not NUNS. After 2 of the 3 YF-24s broke down during testing, the NUN halted the project and moved forward with the VF-171 and AIF-7S Ghost. It was Shinsei Industries that picked up pieces and completed the work on the remaining prototype, hence, the YF-24 Evolution. Whether or not Earth picked up the YF-24 Evolution is a question that isn't answered.

Probably should have mentioned that Shinsei Industries was the one to pass along the designs, not NUNS. After 2 of the 3 YF-24s broke down during testing, the NUN halted the project and moved forward with the VF-171 and AIF-7S Ghost. It was Shinsei Industries that picked up pieces and completed the work on the remaining prototype, hence, the YF-24 Evolution. Whether or not Earth picked up the YF-24 Evolution is a question that isn't answered.

I find that very interesting,

so it is not entirely implausible that Isamu would show up in a modified VF-19 if NUNS gave up on the yf-24 and focused on the VF-171

I ran into this once before. Minus the crappy music it looks to be macross, but what is it from? Graphics look like VOXP opening video, but it isn't.

It's actually a fan video from a Japanese fan made back in 2000?/early 2001 (at least according to my archive. Yes, I have the original). This fan did a few others but it's probably lost somewhere to the Interwebs.

It's actually a fan video from a Japanese fan made back in 2000?/early 2001 (at least according to my archive. Yes, I have the original). This fan did a few others but it's probably lost somewhere to the Interwebs.

I would be interesting in downloading the original of it is around somewhere, the quality is not at all bad.

Maybe I will just have to search harder.

thanks for the info

I would be interesting in downloading the original of it is around somewhere, the quality is not at all bad.

Maybe I will just have to search harder.

The quality is about the same as the Youtube posting. Minus the user-title on the posting and the music, the video itself is un-altered.

Did the SV-51 have a name?

No, it doesn't seem to have one. I've certainly never seen one mentioned in connection with it, or its reaction engine-equipped mass production version (SV-52) either. Macross the Ride gives a name to the heavily customized SV-52γ flown by the Vistula & Oder race team in 2058, which is Oryol (lit. Орёл, the Russian word for "Eagle"), but that may or may not apply to the production model SV-52 of the late 00's. I'm no expert on the Russian military, but from what I've read they don't seem too keen on giving colorful names to their combat aircraft. So, the lack of a nickname fits, given that the SV-51/52 was developed in part by Sukhoi (also IAI and Dorneir).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

True, the Russians were not known for naming their fightercraft,

however they did do it all the same.

Foxbat, Berkut, Fulcrum, etc... Not Terribly imaginative, by our standards though.

Edited by Zinjo

True, the Russians were not known for naming their fightercraft,

however they did do it all the same.

Foxbat, Berkut, Fulcrum, etc... Not Terribly imaginative, by our standards though.

Excluding Berkut (and a couple other notable exceptions), all the names commonly associated with Russian fighters where not chosen or used by the Russians. They're NATO reporting names (hence all fighters having names that start with F, all bombers have names that start with B, all helicopters have names that start with H, etc.)

This one has been bugging me for awhile: Why do you guys refer to Shoji Kawamori as the "Holy Floating Head"?

:lol:

Back when Animeigo released SDF:M on DVD, a picture was taken of a an Animeigo employee holding up the boxed set and several guys bowing down to the DVD's. eventually someone shopped in lightning going from the boxed set to the heads of the people worshiping it and Kawamori's floating head looking on in approval.

original picture has to be around somewhere.

I noticed that the position of the VF-171 Gun Pod is still vague... Some say it is stored the same way as a VF-17 Stores its Gun Pod... But Aren't the legs too thin for that. Also I saw that the VF-171EX That alto used is placed in the Ventral Fuselage... if that is the Correct Position, does that mean that not all VF-171 Nightmare Plus Valkyries don't carry gunpods?

I noticed that the position of the VF-171 Gun Pod is still vague... Some say it is stored the same way as a VF-17 Stores its Gun Pod... But Aren't the legs too thin for that. Also I saw that the VF-171EX That alto used is placed in the Ventral Fuselage... if that is the Correct Position, does that mean that not all VF-171 Nightmare Plus Valkyries don't carry gunpods?

I'd agree with you that the legs on the VF-171 Nightmare Plus look a little too slim to accommodate the GU-14B or MC-17C gun pods internally the way the VF-17 Nightmare did. Still, since the VF-171 is a background mecha that doesn't get oodles of screen time, we don't really get a chance to see them using the gun pod in battle more than once or twice prior to the EX upgrade. The stats do say it keeps its gun pod inside the leg, and IIRC the only one we see with a ventrally-mounted gun pod is Alto's VF-171 with the extra armor mounted on the legs (and presumably obscuring the gun pod's loading door).

I have that LD and yes, it's essentially the uncut version of Clash of the Bioniods, complete with the same awful English dub. Though to describe it more accurately, it's an officially licensed English dub of the theatrical version of Macross: Do You Remember Love. It's also got Japanese subtitles hard coded onto the video, so you can't turn them off.

And that $2000 auction is a rip-off. I won it in an auction a few months ago for $12.

Edited by TheLoneWolf