10 hours ago, SMS007 said:

When Sheryl says that she's "all-natural", are we to assume that includes a perfect set of teeth? From a realistic perspective, spending time homeless as a young child surely can't have been good for her dental health. 

Focslain said it best, she's referring to her lack of cybernetic implants... she probably had some cavities filled, some teach bleached, etc.

Though from the angle of Alto's view when she said it, you bet your bottom dollar JB0 is also correct.

17 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Do Milia Farina Jenius and Howard Glass have the same, or different, titles in their fleet governments?

(Sorry if this is a lazy question, but I have yet to have the time to get through Macross 7.)

If I remember correctly, Milia was always referred to as the Mayor of City 7, whereas Howard Glass held the title of President. 

47 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Do Milia Farina Jenius and Howard Glass have the same, or different, titles in their fleet governments?

They use 市長 (Shichou, lit. "Mayor") for Milia and 大統領 (Daitouryou, "President") for Howard Glass.  Presumably this has something to do with the reduction in New UN Government direct control over the emigrant fleets and/or the scale of their respective emigrant fleets.

In one comedic episode of Macross 7 PLUS, Milia's sort of pitching herself and her amazing abilities as a soldier and administrator (and other merits) to the audience and ends by calling herself "Milia the President" (in conspicuous English).

(Sorry if this is a lazy question, but I have yet to have the time to get through Macross 7.)

It is a bit of a slog, isn't it?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

14 minutes ago, aurance said:

Seriously, I’m on my fourth abortive attempt. One of these days though, I’ll finish it!

The first time I watched Macross 7 I made the critical mistake of marathoning it... it's definitely not a show meant to be taken in doses of more than 1-2 episodes a day.  Otherwise, the first half's painfully slow buildup gets incredibly frustrating in its samey-ness and it becomes a chore.

One episode a day is what I'd recommend, really, if you want to get through it and actually enjoy the experience.

(I'm currently in the midst of attempting to apply that same logic to my latest attempt to slog through Gundam SEED, and thus far it's actually working.)

43 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The first time I watched Macross 7 I made the critical mistake of marathoning it... it's definitely not a show meant to be taken in doses of more than 1-2 episodes a day.  Otherwise, the first half's painfully slow buildup gets incredibly frustrating in its samey-ness and it becomes a chore.

One episode a day is what I'd recommend, really, if you want to get through it and actually enjoy the experience.

(I'm currently in the midst of attempting to apply that same logic to my latest attempt to slog through Gundam SEED, and thus far it's actually working.)

Pretty accurate, that is the best way to watch it, and how I did it. Some shows don't fit the Netflix era style of binge watching.

I remember the first time I tried watching 7 I got to episode 5 and just gave up because nothing drew me in. Second attempt I did about 1 or 2 episodes a day, often in free moments outside of work and I was able to get through the repetition just as Seto says. It really does take until 10 or so episodes in to start enjoying bits of it, and halfway in they start actually moving the plot along for once. When said and done I can say I really do like it, but yeah that doesn't change that it is hard to watch, lol. I've even done a full series rewatch when I was deployed to the Middle East last year (I didn't have that much off time obviously so 1 or 2 episodes a day was pretty easy to keep to). Keep at it, because unlike Delta, 7 has some actual worth in it's story.

30 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

I've been meaning to find the time to binge the first Macross, then Plus, then 7. The latter is just a mistake to think, isn't it?

Yeah, I'd say so.  Macross 7 is not a show that lends itself to binge-watching.  You can reasonably binge Super Dimension Fortress Macross, since it has enough variety (at least before the "Two Years Later" arc) to keep it interesting.  Macross 7's first half is such an unbearably slow build-up to the actual plot of the series, and is so lacking in musical variety compared to the rest of the series, that it quickly becomes unbearably repetitive.  The average viewer can only stand so many episodes where the Varauta forces go attack the fleet, Basara goes out to sing, gets yelled at by Gamlin for getting in the way, accomplishes sod all, and then grumbles about how they won't listen to his song.  (And, of course, because he only has the one song "Planet Dance" and is probably the franchise's second most easy-to-hate character, it quickly goes pear shaped if you try to binge it.)

On 11/27/2017 at 8:23 AM, Sir Galahad® said:

This brings me to another question, was the Birdhuman failsafe only placed on earth? How about the other races the protoculture developed. I would have hoped that something like that would have been planted in Winderemere.

Was the "best children of the protoculture" asserted by every Winderemean? Or was it just Roid and the Royal Family?

Windemereans going by the finale were obviously created as an experiment of a Vajra like hivemind turned cannon fodder. The only reason other races are affected by the Star Singer song is because of Fold Bacteria from Vajra. Windermereans have natural Fold Quartz in their Runes.

Going by Macross 7 and Zero Terrans are super weapon perpetual energy batteries. Which is why the Bird Human and Evil Series bodies can regenerate.

In short Terran are prototypes that had their Fold Receptor factors nerfed that was largely forgotten. The Mayans carry genetic memory of the Protoculture due to contact 10,000 years ago. The Priestess blood line kept their factor active. However there are flukes like Minmay and Basara. When the Vajra left behind their Fold Bacteria finding new hosts in Humanity, Terrans genetic block is being removed.

On 12/19/2017 at 6:26 AM, RedWolf said:

Windemereans going by the finale were obviously created as an experiment of a Vajra like hivemind turned cannon fodder.

That conclusion is:

1. Pretty obviously contradictory when you consider the Protoculture's own stated intent, relayed by their technological works, was for their remaining creations to live in peace with themselves and each other.  They didn't even want them leaving their homeworlds until they'd eliminated all internal conflict.
  2. An incredibly poor fit for their biology.  The Windermereans are a species that doesn't even reach physical maturity until 2/3 of the way through their average lifespan.  If you're creating an army of designer soldiers, you don't want 2/3 of their service lives spent growing up, and their reaching maturity and combat-worthiness marked by only a few years of peak ability which are followed by a rapid deterioration.  You especially don't want your soldiers to have a built-in empathy system that causes them to read each other's emotions constantly.

All told, the Windermereans were almost certainly an attempt by the ancient Protoculture to create a sub-Protoculture species who had the best possible chance of achieving the Protoculture's ambition of a unified society free of internal conflicts.  They have very short lives to slow their technological progress to the point that they'd be stuck as an agrarian society for a long time, giving them the chance to develop a peaceful society before achieving spaceflight.  Their superior physical abilities shorten their lifespan if it's overused, meaning anyone who gets it into their head to get combative will die sooner and leave less of a mark on society.  Their runes are a built-in forced-empathy system that makes it all but impossible for them to NOT understand each other by making the sensing of each other's emotions a basic part of communication.

The only reason other races are affected by the Star Singer song is because of Fold Bacteria from Vajra. Windermereans have natural Fold Quartz in their Runes.

Berger was pretty obviously spinning a yarn when he claimed the fold bacteria that cause Var syndrome came from the Vajra...

Going by Macross 7 and Zero Terrans are super weapon perpetual energy batteries. Which is why the Bird Human and Evil Series bodies can regenerate.

Not superweapons, no.  If you paid attention to Macross Zero, the last thing the Protoculture wanted was for humans to become a hostile, aggressive species.  So much so that they created the Mayan priestesses to maintain the apocalyptic weapon to wipe out humanity if they didn't develop into a peaceful species.

Anima spiritia doesn't seem to have any connection to genetics, it's something mental.  The biological fold waves the priestesses give off are different, though Macross Chronicle indicates the song energy in Macross 7 is a type of fold wave too.

In short Terran are prototypes that had their Fold Receptor factors nerfed that was largely forgotten. The Mayans carry genetic memory of the Protoculture due to contact 10,000 years ago. The Priestess blood line kept their factor active. However there are flukes like Minmay and Basara. When the Vajra left behind their Fold Bacteria finding new hosts in Humanity, Terrans genetic block is being removed.

Almost certainly not, for the reasons outlined above.

20 hours ago, SMS007 said:

*grumble grumble* Stupid plot armor of Windermereans being immune to Vár syndrome. 

Quite the opposite, when you think about it.

The Windermereans aren't immune to Var syndrome, they've formed a symbiosis with it to the extent that they literally can't live without it.  Their very lives seem to be tied inextricably to the fold receptors in their runes, to the point where overusing the rune such a boosting their fold wave transmitting ability or physical abilities (ala Var syndrome sufferers in other species) causes an accelerated aging effect that can shave months or years off their lifespans with each use.  Whatever role those fold bacteria in their runes play in their metabolism, it's so essential that they start mummifying if those fold bacteria die off from stress.

(When you think about it, that might explain their great love of Windermere apples... a fruit that naturally contains compounds that, when combined with dissolved solids in the groundwater near Protoculture ruins, accelerates the growth of fold bacteria.  That's a potential disturbing case of "an apple a day keeps the reaper away", when you think about it.  Their planet is rife with ruins and the major settlements seem to all be near ruins.  If their lifespan is tied to the bacteria they carry that cause Var syndrome, seidznol in their diet from drinking the groundwater and eating the apples could be an essential part of their diet to stave off premature aging.)

7 minutes ago, aurance said:

What are the runes attached to? Hair? Or are they a part of some sort of head tentacle hidden by hair?

A tentacle.  They seem to enjoy braiding hair around it, though in Freyja's case you can clearly see said tentacle whenever her rune perks up.

56 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

A tentacle.  They seem to enjoy braiding hair around it, though in Freyja's case you can clearly see said tentacle whenever her rune perks up.

So when we were calling it her "hair boner" we were more right than we knew.

10 hours ago, aurance said:

Freaky.

9 hours ago, JB0 said:

So when we were calling it her "hair boner" we were more right than we knew.

Considering how Freyja reacts when Hayate touches her rune, it's pretty clear those ain't normal tentacles... they're henticles.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On 12/20/2017 at 10:48 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

All told, the Windermereans were almost certainly an attempt by the ancient Protoculture to create a sub-Protoculture species who had the best possible chance of achieving the Protoculture's ambition of a unified society free of internal conflicts.  They have very short lives to slow their technological progress to the point that they'd be stuck as an agrarian society for a long time, giving them the chance to develop a peaceful society before achieving spaceflight.  Their superior physical abilities shorten their lifespan if it's overused, meaning anyone who gets it into their head to get combative will die sooner and leave less of a mark on society.  Their runes are a built-in forced-empathy system that makes it all but impossible for them to NOT understand each other by making the sensing of each other's emotions a basic part of communication.

Quite the opposite, when you think about it.

The Windermereans aren't immune to Var syndrome, they've formed a symbiosis with it to the extent that they literally can't live without it.  Their very lives seem to be tied inextricably to the fold receptors in their runes, to the point where overusing the rune such a boosting their fold wave transmitting ability or physical abilities (ala Var syndrome sufferers in other species) causes an accelerated aging effect that can shave months or years off their lifespans with each use.  Whatever role those fold bacteria in their runes play in their metabolism, it's so essential that they start mummifying if those fold bacteria die off from stress.

Well a lot of good empathic telepathy did. No one tried to stop a regime, that took no responsibility for its own poor economic decisions, from declaring war against the galaxy. Or sensed that their chancellor was blatantly lying to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Has any Macross story ever noted any difference between folding while in an atmosphere versus in outer space for a conventional spaceworthy vessel? I was wondering because most sci-fi franchises tend to reasonably establish as a general rule that shipboard FTL propulsion will only work in outer space.1

1. Contingent on the plot requirements, of course. I'm looking at you, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and you, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Edited by SMS007

Considering how it works, I think it is possible in atmosphere, but being closer to the gravity well is more of a problem than the atmosphere. After all... the third* fold shown in SDF:Macross was the Macross itself folding from within Earth's atmosphere just above Macross City and ending up around Pluto... with half the island now in space. It is unclear if their proximity to Earth had something to do with the fold screw up or if it was just their inexperience using the system (that was definitely a large part of it) but likely they decided from then on to play it safer.

*The first was the ASS-1 defolding and crashing to Earth in 1999, the second was Britai's fleet defolding to find Earth and the Macross. Humanity say a prior fold event with the Bird Human, but I'm not counting that cause we didn't see it on screen until 2002. Though point of interest, the Bird Human also folding within atmosphere just fine (though it is Protoculture tech, so it can do whatever it wants, same for the Vajra Queen that... might have been in atmosphere, hard to tell.

Edited by Master Dex

7 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Has any Macross story ever noted any difference between folding while in an atmosphere versus in outer space for a conventional spaceworthy vessel?

Apart from noting that strong gravitational fields will increase the disparity between the subjective and objective passage of time, the only evident difficulty seems to be requiring greater precision in calculating the fold jump.  Done wrong, you either end up grabbing a chunk of your surroundings and drag it with you through fold space (e.g. the SDF-1 Macross's first and only space fold), or a botched calculation potentially destroys your ship, throws you off course, or traps you in the higher dimension of fold space with insufficient power to return to normal space.

Folds into and out of atmosphere are shown on many occasions, though usually they're done over short distances if the ship is folding into the atmosphere.

I was wondering because most sci-fi franchises tend to reasonably establish as a general rule that shipboard FTL propulsion will only work in outer space.1

Granted, most other science fiction franchises depict using faster-than-light stardrives in or near a planet's atmosphere as either impossible or irresponsibly dangerous.  Admittedly, in most cases, a prohibition on using those drives like that stems from one of three things:

1. Using the FTL drive technology in the setting means the ship will be moving through normal space at speeds above, near, or just below light speed.
    Examples of this include Star Trek warp drive and impulse drive technology, Star Wars hyperdrive technology, and most other generic faster-than-light drives in fiction involve somehow bending the laws of physics to move the ship through normal space at speeds either close to c or above c.  Whether this is a prelude to ramping off into another dimension or the main operating mode of the drive, either case presents the danger as "running into sh*t".  Either crashing into a planet at faster-than-light speeds with predictably apocalyptic results (as happened intentionally to Coridan, Draylax, and Galornden Core in Star Trek) or by having the ship ablated away by high-velocity particle impacts (e.g. "if I don't tune the navigational deflector, the first piece of space dust we run across will blow a hole in this ship the size of your fist" from Star Trek: Enterprise's first episode).

2. The FTL drive technology employs a method to achieve faster-than-light travel that can cause collateral damage to the ship's surroundings if used to travel into or out of an atmosphere.
    Examples include the warp drive technology from Space Battleship Yamato and Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, the "slipspace" drive in Halo, the singularity drive in Event Horizon, and (used improperly) Macross's space fold systems.  The reason this is usually seen as dangerous in-universe is the drive's means of achieving FTL involves creating a gravitational singularity, spatial rift, or other negative space wedgie to circumvent distances or travel into a universe where the normal laws of physics no longer apply.  In most cases, this is not a contained phenomenon, so anything near the negative space wedgie gets blasted to atoms, torn to flinders, dragged along for the ride, or sucked into some other dimension because Hyperspace is a Scary Place.

3. The unique physics of the FTL drive technology making attempting to engage the drive either impossible or suicidally dangerous in or near an atmosphere.
    I'll admit I can't think of many examples of this one.  Star Trek's warp drives SHOULD be in this category because they depend on force fields to protect them from particle ablation, but the big one is Warhammer 40,000's warp drives.  Stardrives in this category either will straight-up not work or will run with a greatly increased chance of catastrophic failure, almost invariably because the unique physics of their operation can be thrown off by the gravity wells of things like planets and stars.  

Macross's fold systems are somewhat unusual among science fiction's FTL stardrives in that it's not actually moving the ship.  In practice, it's folded (sub)space teleportation that exchanges a volume of space containing the fold system for an equivalent volume of space at the target destination via bridging the two locations in higher dimension space.  It's a bit like traveling by tesseract from the novel A Wrinkle in Time, or the jump drives in Dune.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Essentially, using a fold system to fold jump into or out of a planetary atmosphere can be done in a "safe" manner but is still generally frowned upon except in emergencies because the process swaps the volume of space inside the fold effect for an equivalent volume of space at the destination... an unfortunate consequence of which means either way you're creating a large vacuum implosion that won't do anyone's hearing any favors, and may be teleporting chunks of atmosphere into space.

As such, it's usually easier and safer to just fly up to orbit first.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Done wrong, you either end up grabbing a chunk of your surroundings and drag it with you through fold space (e.g. the SDF-1 Macross's first and only space fold)

Is there a reason we ignore the explanation in Global Report that they did everything right but the drive was wonky because of the boobytrap?

Edited by JB0

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Is there a reason we ignore the explanation in Global Report that they did everything right but the drive was wonky because of the boobytrap?

We don't, really... the fold system aboard the SDF-1 Macross was compromised on multiple levels by that Supervision Army booby trap.  That said, the Zentradi still react like attempting a fold at such a low altitude was the act of either an incredible daredevil tactical genius or a suicidal moron, which is a strong argument that they were doing it wrong already even when the compromised fold system said "hold my beer" and proceeded to make things a million times worse.

EDIT: In the context of the below, even the fold system wasn't exactly working incorrectly... it just got VERY enthusiastic about its job.

Since it's relevant, I'll throw this bit in too...

Even when a fold system is in perfect working order and is making a properly calculated jump, that exchange of space between the ship's position and destination still occurs.  It's just normally not as visible or bombastic because the fold effect is kept as small as possible in order to minimize energy consumption unless the ship is deliberately trying to carry something else (e.g. other ships, VFs) in the fold with it.  In Macross 7's 13th episode, the crew of the Battle 7 were able to use debris from the City 7's destination that'd been transported to its point of origin by the fold jump's exchange of space to identify where the "vampires" had taken the ship and dispatch Diamond Force to stop the hijackers from folding the ship again.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

46 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

In Delta episode 5 we see a Megaroad fleet making contact with Windermere and a New Macross fleet making contact with Ragna. Was it the Megaroad or the New Macross that was identified by ancillary media?

The Blu-ray liner notes do identify the fleet that discovered Windermere IV as the 4th Large Scale Long Distance Emigrant Fleet led by SDF-5 Megaroad-04 (in 2027).

As far as I am aware, no identification has been made of fleet that discovered Ragna.

Just now, SMS007 said:

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of. 

As a fun side note, the appearance of the SDF-5 Megaroad-04 marks the first time an even-numbered emigrant ship and fleet have directly appeared in Macross's official continuity and only the second time an even-numbered fleet was involved at all in a plot (the previous case being Macross-4, which settled on Sephira).

The fleets that've actually been depicted or directly connected to a story thus far are: Megaroad-01Megaroad-13Macross-1Macross-5Macross-7Macross-9Macross-11Macross-13Macross-17Macross-21 (AKA Macross Galaxy), Macross-23Macross-25 (AKA Macross Frontier), and Macross-29.

Assuming the City-class (although a scaled-down reuse of the Island Cluster-class Island-1 model) on Ragna was the ship that colonized it, it would have to have been either Macross-1 or Macross-2.  The ship has no Shell, which means it cannot be from the Macross-5 and beyond, and Macross-3 and Macross-4 are all accounted for on Eden 3 and Sephira.

56 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

The number may not have been used, but Macross Valiant must be the 16th New Macross, no?

Yeah, but the Macross Valiant (NMCV-16?) from the 46th Large Scale Long Distance Emigrant Fleet is not official setting material... it's from Variable Fighter Master File.

What are commercial Valkyries used for? Are they toned down and demilitarized versions of the older Valkyries? I mean there are Destroids used for work but for Valks, I really don't find a practical non military use for it. 

Like right now, let's assume that someone buys an old F-4 Phantom for personal use. What would he use it for?

7 hours ago, Sir Galahad® said:

What are commercial Valkyries used for?

Oh, all sorts.  

Macross II: Lovers Again was the first title to introduce the notion of a commercially-available VF for civilian use.  The series materials describe the introduction of the first civilian market VF, the VC-051, as a multipurpose vehicle meant for government and private sector use as a VTOL jumpjet with high endurance for things like natural resource management, search and rescue, mapping, etc.  It found its way into the leisure craft market soon after, and became enormously popular.  Its successor, the VC-079, is seen in the Macross II OVA outfitted with high-powered camera systems for use as what you might call a space-capable news helicopter analogue.

Civilian market VFs later appeared in Macross 7 and Macross Dynamite 7, though those were a mix of decommissioned and disarmed military models and models actually built for civilian use.  They're depicted in a variety of roles.  The ones in Macross 7 were leisure craft.  The ones seen in Macross Dynamite 7 were working craft outfitted for wildlife management use, and one was later seen with space welding equipment working on the construction of a new Battle-class to replace Battle-7.  In the Macross the Ride light novel, civilian market VFs are shown used as leisure craft for air racing, while the Macross Frontier novelization has some that are used as training aircraft for the students from the space navigation major at Mihoshi Academy.  Macross 30 depicted civilian-use VFs as an easy way for civilians to get around on planets like Uroboros where the local geography isn't very cooperative (and sometimes airborne and highly mobile), as well as convenient tools for wildlife and natural resource management, law enforcement, and even for archaeological study of Protoculture ruins (which are not the safest place to be).

Are they toned down and demilitarized versions of the older Valkyries?

Virtually all of the civilian market VFs in the main Macross chronology fall into one of three categories:

• Old, disarmed VFs that were previously operated by the New UN Forces and were sold off to civilians after being phased out and finally retired by the military.  Most of the VFs from the light novel Macross the Ride are in this category, incl. Chelsea Scarlett's VF-11B Nothung II custom, which was made by combining parts from three incomplete airframes the New UN Forces sold off in 2058.  Many of the civilian VFs in Macross 7 are also this type, with Milia's being the noteworthy exception.

• Derivatives of military training aircraft that were specifically produced as unarmed, detuned versions meant specifically for civilian use.  The best example of this is the VT-1C first seen operated by civilians on Zola in Macross Dynamite 7.

• Unarmed versions of current military spec VFs that were produced for PR-friendly activities like company-sponsored air racing teams.  Several of these appear in Macross the Ride, like Oscar Brauhitsch's VF-19A Custom that he pilots for Team Shinsei, the VF-17 Song Cuu Long, or the VF-19ACTIVE Nothung that Chelsea Scarlett operates for Team SMS (which is covertly a test aircraft for the VF-25 program).

There are a few exceptions to those rules, like Magdalena Zielonaska's Sv-52 Oryol, which she claims is a disarmed Sv-51 that's been extensively retrofitted with modern technology, or Milia Jenius's VF-1J, which was somehow allowed out of the military's sight while still outfitted for combat use complete with Super Packs.  Many civilians in Macross 30 are operating replicas of military-issue VFs that have been outfitted with weaponry due to the dangerous local wildlife.

Macross II's VC-051 and VC-079 are the only ones I recall offhand that were actually designed from the ground up for civilian use.

I mean there are Destroids used for work but for Valks, I really don't find a practical non military use for it. 

Destroids don't do so good in space, or environments where the ground isn't stable, or in working environments where being highly mobile is an asset... it's there where the civilian utility VF shines.

Like right now, let's assume that someone buys an old F-4 Phantom for personal use. What would he use it for?

The utility of a fighter jet is a LOT lower... when someone buys an old military jet for personal use it's a pleasure craft or a museum display piece.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, SMS007 said:

What about the Fire Valkyrie-colored VF-1 used in Ranka's concert in Sayonara no Tsubasa? Was that a real, working fighter or just some holographic projection?

Could be either honestly knowing their holography powers. That said the VF-1 on the top of Mihoshi Academy is apparently flight capable.. at least according to one manga....