I do believe Macross Galaxy isn't getting off with just sanctions as it made itself the enemy of humanity trying to enslave them at gunpoint with Vajra.While the millions of enslaved citizens on it are innocent the cabal isn't.

As most of them can plead "mind control" and point fingers, prosecution probably wouldn't go very far...

If the USAF equivalent of "Platoon" is "Flight" is "Delta Platoon" an accurate translation of "Δ小隊"?

What do the official English subs in the Japanese Blu-rays use?

Macross Δ's visible in-show text, official subs, and merchandise all translated Δ小隊 as "Δ Flight"... prior to this series, 小隊 was always translated "Platoon".

Mirage gives the unit's full designation as Xaos Ragna branch 3rd Fighter Wing Δ Flight. (I guess since the default currency of the armed forces is the VF platoon, Xaos and SMS don't see a need to organize into any units larger than that.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

From Zentradi Mobile Weapons Japanese Wikpedia page reference.

series chronology regime of proto culture is that although there is a "interstellar republic", with respect to the Zentraedi military weapons " Macross Chronicle in" such later years of reference "Galactic Empire" it is labeled.

The Protoculture Stellar Republic is also called the Protoculture Galactic Empire. The former sounds nice and alien at the same time the later sounds the government body of the Protoculture is tyrannical.

Are we to think the Anti-Stellar Republic forces as the Rebellion?

Edited by RedWolf

In Macross 7 when the computer says "Captain on the bridge." whenever Max enters the room, can anyone tell me what the correct romanized Japanese phrasing for that is? It's for curiosity mostly, I can hear it in the show obviously but it is hard to tell each word when you don't know Japanese too well.

I knew what the phrase meant, lol. I just wanted the exact Japanese phrasing. Sounds like the only Japanese word used is Kanchou though. Guess I could have just listened a bit harder to get that.

In Japanese Romaji it's 'Kanchou buriji in.' and 'Kanchou buriji auto.'

Unless you're asking what's the correct term for that in Japanese military/naval use?

No that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Mind you, if you know the other, go ahead and enlighten me, I don't mind knowing all versions.

So I suppose auto is just how out ends up getting spoken in Japanese (considering how most Japanese characters end up corresponding to an English consonate-vowel pairing and all). Kind of amusing how it accidentally forms an entirely different word in English. Just goes to show how translation is never a simple thing.

No that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Mind you, if you know the other, go ahead and enlighten me, I don't mind knowing all versions.

So I suppose auto is just how out ends up getting spoken in Japanese (considering how most Japanese characters end up corresponding to an English consonate-vowel pairing and all). Kind of amusing how it accidentally forms an entirely different word in English. Just goes to show how translation is never a simple thing.

You're welcome sir. ;)

And about the other, I have to ask someone. Hehehe. :lol: Not an expert on Nihonggo but I understand and read easy ones. ^_^ And I need to find clips over YouTube just to hear that computer voice and if I heard it right. At first I only heard 'Kanchou buriji auto' so I assumed the other one is 'in'. And I browsed around and found a clip with Max coming in so I heard it right, it's 'in'.

So basically, here's what they're saying in katakana with Kanchou -- '艦長 ブリッジ イン' for 'in' and '艦長 ブリッジ アウト' for out. But like you said it's amusing since now when you read the 'out', it felt like they're saying a funny accent of 'auto'-mobile. Same thing in the Philippines. Most people say 'Epol' rather than 'Apol' for Apple. :lol:

Edited by no3Ljm

Quick one for you guys. What do you think would be a reasonable timeframe for a certain VF to be in military service past the end of its mass-production? For example on some backwater frontier planet, could a valk like the VF-11 have seen continued use by the local NUNS garrison for ten years after it was supposed to begin being phased out? How about twenty?

Quick one for you guys. What do you think would be a reasonable timeframe for a certain VF to be in military service past the end of its mass-production? For example on some backwater frontier planet, could a valk like the VF-11 have seen continued use by the local NUNS garrison for ten years after it was supposed to begin being phased out? How about twenty?

As long as they still make spare parts? A VF-1 (a VF-1X be it at that) was still in combat service in VF-X 2 (2050s), 45 years after they stopped production.

This is one of those quick-but-no-easy-answer questions. It really depends on money and necessity from the buyer standpoint. For the manufacturer, they could be supporting a craft for decades after they finish mass production if they still can make money from it. For worlds that have money, 10 years is probably the max. For worlds with less resources, likely 20+. Or they could phase in UAVs and skip VFs altogether. It depends.

That's a question with a lot of potential answers... since older fighters are often retired from normal duties and placed into the training fleet, and the special forces are sometimes keeping the fighters in service much longer.

The VF-1 Valkyrie, for instance, went out of mass production in 2015 but was still being used as late as 2050 by the special forces because it was as close to invisible-in-plain-sight as you're likely to get with a giant robot thanks to the prevalence of civilian VF-1s. That's a good 35 years after mass production ended.

The VF-4's mass production ended in 2022 and it was still in service in 2047 with the special forces, though it'd otherwise been retired to training service. It was presumably surplussed out to civilian buyers in the late 2040's or early 2050's, same as the VF-1X series. That's around 29-30 years.

The Frontier fleet was selling off the last of its VF-11s in 2058 to civilian buyers, though we don't know when mass production ended on that model. It didn't enter production until the end of the 2020s, so it was only in service for about 28 years total, though as an emigrant fleet main fighter there probably wasn't any one end of production galaxy-wide... every fleet likely stopped at a different time.

The VF-171 is already staring down the prospect of replacement at only about 20 years in service, though like the VF-11 it'll probably be retired at different points in time in each fleet using it. Master File suggests that it was still being produced around 2065, with the final variant being the VF-171L.

As long as they still make spare parts? A VF-1 (a VF-1X be it at that) was still in combat service in VF-X 2 (2050s), 45 years after they stopped production.

This is one of those quick-but-no-easy-answer questions. It really depends on money and necessity from the buyer standpoint. For the manufacturer, they could be supporting a craft for decades after they finish mass production if they still can make money from it. For worlds that have money, 10 years is probably the max. For worlds with less resources, likely 20+. Or they could phase in UAVs and skip VFs altogether. It depends.

That's a question with a lot of potential answers... since older fighters are often retired from normal duties and placed into the training fleet, and the special forces are sometimes keeping the fighters in service much longer.

The VF-1 Valkyrie, for instance, went out of mass production in 2015 but was still being used as late as 2050 by the special forces because it was as close to invisible-in-plain-sight as you're likely to get with a giant robot thanks to the prevalence of civilian VF-1s. That's a good 35 years after mass production ended.

The VF-4's mass production ended in 2022 and it was still in service in 2047 with the special forces, though it'd otherwise been retired to training service. It was presumably surplussed out to civilian buyers in the late 2040's or early 2050's, same as the VF-1X series. That's around 29-30 years.

The Frontier fleet was selling off the last of its VF-11s in 2058 to civilian buyers, though we don't know when mass production ended on that model. It didn't enter production until the end of the 2020s, so it was only in service for about 28 years total, though as an emigrant fleet main fighter there probably wasn't any one end of production galaxy-wide... every fleet likely stopped at a different time.

The VF-171 is already staring down the prospect of replacement at only about 20 years in service, though like the VF-11 it'll probably be retired at different points in time in each fleet using it. Master File suggests that it was still being produced around 2065, with the final variant being the VF-171L.

Thanks a lot guys, this is definitely some useful info. Looks like the potential timeframe is a lot longer than I thought

Macross Δ's visible in-show text, official subs, and merchandise all translated Δ小隊 as "Δ Flight"... prior to this series, 小隊 was always translated "Platoon".

Mirage gives the unit's full designation as Xaos Ragna branch 3rd Fighter Wing Δ Flight. (I guess since the default currency of the armed forces is the VF platoon, Xaos and SMS don't see a need to organize into any units larger than that.)

At first I balked at the term in MF, but then came to appreciate that with a VF team that can transform from fighter to battroid, either could reasonably apply.

What is the VF-171L? Was that the one that appeared in Delta?

At first I balked at the term in MF, but then came to appreciate that with a VF team that can transform from fighter to battroid, either could reasonably apply.

I've never really had an issue with it... since it was, at least, applied consistently until Macross Delta and the Valkyries were as much infantry as aircraft.

What is the VF-171L? Was that the one that appeared in Delta?

About all we know is that, according to Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah, the VF-171L was the last mass-production type of the Nightmare Plus which was used by the Macross Olympia fleet in 2065 when they were starting to transition to the VF-25 they'd codeveloped with the Macross Frontier fleet after canceling their own YF-26. I'm not sure if that version corresponded to what Macross Chronicle called Block II (the 2055 update, which was what the Macross Frontier fleet used) or the Block III update that served as the basis for the Frontier fleet's anti-Vajra upgrade.

On review of the animation of Macross Delta's first and sixth episodes, I would be inclined to suspect that the Brisingr Alliance's NUNS is using a VF-171 variant corresponding to the 2055 Block II update.

Quick question about the eye-tracking tech that was first shown in Macross Zero (that Roy used to target and intercept a volley of missiles). Was that some experimental tech that wasn't actually implemented in mass-production valks until around the time we saw it again in Frontier? Or is there mention of it having been implemented earlier and simply not shown before Zero due to out-of-universe reasons (ie Kawamori not having come up with it yet)? If it was implemented in other valks pre-Frontier, are there any specifics about when and in which valks?

Edited by Raptor One

Was that some experimental tech that wasn't actually implemented in mass-production valks until around the time we saw it again in Frontier? Or is there mention of it having been implemented earlier and simply not shown before Zero due to out-of-universe reasons (ie Kawamori not having come up with it yet)? If it was implemented in other valks pre-Frontier, are there any specifics about when and in which valks?

It's not really talked about much, but my understanding of what little is said on the matter is that the eye-following pointing system used to aim the VF-0's guns and designate targets for the FCS was production-intent hardware that was intended for the VF-1... and built into all of the VFs that followed (with the possible exception of the YF-21).

I'd assume the reason it didn't show up in visuals was simply that Kawamori and co. hadn't thought of a way to make it look visually appealing. Helmet-mounted targeting systems have existed since the 1980s, but even today they're still not much in the looks department. Kawamori probably needed time to think up a way to do it without obscuring the pilot's face, and real-world technology didn't start to offer an answer to that until the mid-to-late 90's (using infrared or other forms of optical tracking).

Quick question about the eye-tracking tech that was first shown in Macross Zero (that Roy used to target and intercept a volley of missiles). Was that some experimental tech that wasn't actually implemented in mass-production valks until around the time we saw it again in Frontier? Or is there mention of it having been implemented earlier and simply not shown before Zero due to out-of-universe reasons (ie Kawamori not having come up with it yet)? If it was implemented in other valks pre-Frontier, are there any specifics about when and in which valks?

Production-wise, it's a retcon.

In-universe? Don't know.

Thanks guys. I'll just assume it has been standard (or at least readily available) equipment since SW1 then.

Another unrelated question: Is there a graphic or map of the galaxy (maybe based on what we've been shown in Frontier and Delta) that shows the (rough) locations of the various colonies and alien homeworlds?

Another unrelated question: Is there a graphic or map of the galaxy (maybe based on what we've been shown in Frontier and Delta) that shows the (rough) locations of the various colonies and alien homeworlds?

I've made up one - I'd like to show it, but due to server traffic my host is currently unavailable :cry:

One thing to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of locations mentioned in Macross, and the majority have never been indicated where they are on a map, let alone in relationship to each other. The only place that we have a definitive number for is Groombridge 1816 (AKA Eden, and Eden 3). And even then, the number is only a distance from Earth, and not what direction.

So, when my site becomes available again and you can see the map, keep in mind that it is the accompanying text that is more indicative of the extent of the Macross universe.

I've made up one - I'd like to show it, but due to server traffic my host is currently unavailable :cry:

One thing to keep in mind is that there are a LOT of locations mentioned in Macross, and the majority have never been indicated where they are on a map, let alone in relationship to each other. The only place that we have a definitive number for is Groombridge 1816 (AKA Eden, and Eden 3). And even then, the number is only a distance from Earth, and not what direction.

So, when my site becomes available again and you can see the map, keep in mind that it is the accompanying text that is more indicative of the extent of the Macross universe.

Oh wow thanks, that'd be perfect. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Speaking of planets Delta special mentioned a new one. Planet Varuna where Messer's orders got mixed up ending him delivering pizza.

Planet list

Airberl (Protoculture ruins- Ruins of Stig Stania, Invaded by Windermere)

Alfheim

Al Shahal

Anthem III (Invaded by Windermere)

Avalon

Avemaria

Banipal(?, there are coal mines there, so presumably some settlement exists)

Bellfan

Beneb

Cashew (In a middle of a civil war between old UN Forces and NUNS.)

Cristania

Dahan

Divide (Kaname Buccaneer's home colony under civil war)

Eden

Eden 3 (not the same star system)

Elysium (abandoned)

Endebald

Ganymede (also a moon)

Gregor

Hue (Basara visited this planet on a Tousugeki Love Heart video)

Hydra

Ionideth

Iota

Jupiter (multiple satellite cities)

Listania (Invaded by Windermere)

Luna (technically a moon, but hey)

Mars

Neo York

Neptune (satellite city)

New Asia (Declared bio hazard)

Ragna( Homeworld of Ragnans)

Randall

Rax (Supposed to be colonized by Macross 5 but blew up.)

Salvation

Saturn (satellite city)

Sephira (Leon Sasaki's home colony)

Susia

Ouroboros

Vajra Homeworld (Colonized by Macross Frontier)

Varauta colony

4th "Ice" Planet in Varauta system. Formerly Arsenal Planet and origin world of Protodevlin and Supervision Army turned prison world.

Varuna (Planet where Messer delivered pizza due to mixed orders)

Veil

Venus ("satellite city" orbital colony)

Voldor (Homeworld of Voldorans, Protoculture Paraganal ruins, Invaded by Windermere)

Vulcan

Windermere (Homeworld of Windermereans)

Zola (Homeworld of Zolans)

Edited by RedWolf

Oh wow thanks, that'd be perfect. I'll keep an eye out for that.

And it looks like server traffic (or whatever) has gone down and it's available again: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Locations/Locations.php

Note: green text = official setting (canon) info. Black is best guess at best.

A few short questions unrelated to each other:

- What is the Zentradi word for "freedom", if known?

- Who wrote the lyrics for Ikenai Borderline and did this person write any other songs in Delta or otherwise, if known?

- And we still don't know who, or how, did the remove piloting for those VFs that saved Hayate, Mirage and Freyja

EDIT: another unrelated question:

- Could anyone share the OFFICIAL kanji lyrics for Ikenai Borderline? As in something published on a CD cover, or something. I am told that the exact intended meaning of "icchau kamo ne" depends on how they spelled it (kanji or kana).

Edited by Saruta

Anyone knows the source of that old origami Valkyrie folding instructions on the front page? I know I first saw it in some generic origami compilation like 25 or 30 years back.

I you haven't found it yet. Here's one: http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/26069/Macross+Origami.html

Is this the one you were looking for? Do you have another version you could share?

Edited by Bub

Macross the Ride question.

So Naresuan was the commander of the Varauta UN Forces unit Etoile Filan and it was destroyed when they were "betrayed"? Meaning the Protodevlin started their mind control.

Having links to Varauta Naresuan has the Neo Glaug bis and Queadlunn Alma produced in the Protodevlin arsenal factory. In the light novel he has Varauta Army variable fighter units among his forces.