So while replaying "That show that can't be mentioned" Battlecry recently, I was selecting my VF and skipped right over the 1S to the 1R. A 1A based unit but with either a reworked head or just fixed antenna on either side. Stats showed that it had the least amount of armor out of any version I'm aware of CATS-eye/AWACS withstanding, it could track and fire on just about as many targets as a J, can't recall the other two stats at the moment. I figured this was a creation of the game in order to try and make the game just a little more difficult for the aces out there. Later on that same day/night while watching Macross yet again, but in English this time, there is actually a good close-up of an VF-1R pretend hand-to-hand fighting with a Zentradi, just before it then shows three 1A's doing the very same and then the ambush really kicks off. So I stand corrected it is/was an actual production VF, what purpose was it designed for? Or was this just a mistake in the anime that has since gained traction?

On a side note, has any company made a toy or model in any scale? My search turned up nothing.

So while replaying "That show that can't be mentioned" Battlecry recently, I was selecting my VF and skipped right over the 1S to the 1R. A 1A based unit but with either a reworked head or just fixed antenna on either side. Stats showed that it had the least amount of armor out of any version I'm aware of CATS-eye/AWACS withstanding, it could track and fire on just about as many targets as a J, can't recall the other two stats at the moment. I figured this was a creation of the game in order to try and make the game just a little more difficult for the aces out there. Later on that same day/night while watching Macross yet again, but in English this time, there is actually a good close-up of an VF-1R pretend hand-to-hand fighting with a Zentradi, just before it then shows three 1A's doing the very same and then the ambush really kicks off. So I stand corrected it is/was an actual production VF, what purpose was it designed for? Or was this just a mistake in the anime that has since gained traction?

On a side note, has any company made a toy or model in any scale? My search turned up nothing.

Animation error....

VF-robotech-22733320-640-480.jpg

robotech-masterpiece-collection-volume-6

Edited by jvmacross

I figured this was a creation of the game in order to try and make the game just a little more difficult for the aces out there.

Yeah, that's just an animation error in the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series that The-Franchise-that-must-not-be-named decided to run with to pad out the game and squeeze one more overpriced, low-quality, "limited edition" VF-1 toy out before Toynami went on to other designs.

There is a VF-1R in Macross... but it's quite a bit different (it's actually a family of three VF-1 variants: the VF-1AR, VF-1JR, and VF-1SR) and was made for Macross II's first video game tie-in, Macross 2036 for the PC Engine, around ten years before the game in question was developed.

Has there ever been a release of the "Beam" (width) and "Air Draft" (height) in addition to the "Length Over All" of the capital ships?

Those would be nice stats to have on capital ships.

I am particularly interested in the Varauta Fleet Carrier

Edited by Zinjo

Yeah, that's just an animation error in the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series that The-Franchise-that-must-not-be-named decided to run with to pad out the game and squeeze one more overpriced, low-quality, "limited edition" VF-1 toy out before Toynami went on to other designs.

There is a VF-1R in Macross... but it's quite a bit different (it's actually a family of three VF-1 variants: the VF-1AR, VF-1JR, and VF-1SR) and was made for Macross II's first video game tie-in, Macross 2036 for the PC Engine, around ten years before the game in question was developed.

Dont forget they also milked the 1R for a little more coin by throwing it into the ROBOTECH Tactics board game as well.

VF-1R05.jpg

c7eda31571f3aedf634c3a70e2a41483.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

Does anyone have an idea on the yields of reaction weapons, such as the fighter-carried RMS missile series and ship-launched missiles?

Officially?

I think the only ones that were given official numbers are the RB-5 reaction missiles on the Oberth Destroyers: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Oberth/OberthSpaceDestroyer.php#OFFENSIVE_SYSTEMS

(remember: green is official setting. Black is speculation)

In SDFM, the RMS-1 are causing nuclear-like explosions around Zentraedi fleet, making Exedore comment 'may... may that be the lost reaction weaponry?', as if it was a capability the Zentraedi lost long ago (most probably to production line decay).

Somewhere in Macross Chronicle (if memory serves) it says or implies that the Zentradi once had those weapons, but due to a loss of the production plants, they couldn't make new ones; and due to use, loss in combat, and time (the half life of the reactive elements was surpassed), the weapons were effectively 'lost'.

Officially?

I think the only ones that were given official numbers are the RB-5 reaction missiles on the Oberth Destroyers: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Oberth/OberthSpaceDestroyer.php#OFFENSIVE_SYSTEMS

(remember: green is official setting. Black is speculation)

100 KT is kinda weak, as some present-day nuclear warheads are more powerful than that (though that is for an early-model reaction warhead). Now moving on to speculation, later reaction warheads are supposed to be more powerful, as the reaction warhead used in Episode 13 of Delta is very powerful for its size, I guess it would have a yield of a few hundred MT to a few GT based on the size of the fireball in comparison with the Ragna Island Ship and Sigur Valens.

Edited by Nazareno2012

100 KT is kinda weak, as some present-day nuclear warheads are more powerful than that (though that is for an early-model reaction warhead). Now moving on to speculation, later reaction warheads are supposed to be more powerful, as the reaction warhead used in Episode 13 of Delta is very powerful for its size, I guess it would have a yield of a few hundred MT to a few GT based on the size of the fireball in comparison with the Ragna Island Ship and Sigur Valens.

To put it into context - the Oberth Destroyer was rushed into production during the 10 years after the landing of the ASS-1 and the arrival of the Zentradi (the SDF-1's Space Launch). It's reasonable to believe that the reaction weapon technology in the Oberth's missiles are the fruits of the initial efforts in reverse engineering the OverTechnology in the ASS-1, and are, just like the Oberth itself, woefully under-powered.

If memory serves, the RMS-1 missiles carried by the VF-1 have a similar punch to the RB-5 missiles (in the sense that a single RMS-1 can incapacitate a Zentradi Destroyer - the same as the much larger RB-5), implying that even within that short decade, the potency of the reaction warheads has increased by a couple of orders of magnitude (the human-head sized warhead in the RMS-1 has a similar yield to the VF-1 cockpit sized warhead of the RB-5).

Some other things to keep in mind:

- the use of reactions weapons was restricted by treaty after the end of SWI. So, despite the capability to make bigger ones, there were political reasons not to.

- Frontier introduced such fun (or annoying) things as Dimension Eaters, Heavy Quantum, and so on. Which messes things up, as Reaction Weapons post Frontier may not necessarily be operating under the same physics as the Reaction Weapons in earlier series.

Oh... and I remembered the opposite end of the spectrum - the 10 gigaton anti-fleet (not anti-ship!) monstrosities in the Varohta Fleet Flagship! (and no, the Varohta weren't restricted by the arms treaty ;) )

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/VarohtaFleet/FleetFlagshipSpaceCarrier.php#OFFENSIVE_SYSTEMS

Edited by sketchley

Does anyone have an idea on the yields of reaction weapons, such as the fighter-carried RMS missile series and ship-launched missiles?

They're pretty scaleable... the lowest yield mentioned to date belongs to the thermonuclear reaction shells used by the Mk.IP Monster destroid, which had a variable yield from 0.1KT to 50KT. (Per Macross Chronicle's Technology Sheet 09A.)

The thermonuclear reaction missiles used by the SF-3A Lancer II space fighter are rated for 0.5KT apiece.

The Oberth-class space destroyers use missiles rated for 20-100KT, but they're noted as being small for a warship-grade missile.

Of course, the former Varauta system fleet mothership had those multi-warhead missiles carrying multiple 10GT warheads.

As a note, it's worth remembering that thermonuclear reaction warheads are far more efficient with their energy than a nuclear warhead thanks to those unique super dimension physics involved. Virtually all the energy is released as heat instead of as various other flavors of radiation, so the immediate destructive effect is greater and without the lingering radiological consequences (so they happen to be safer to use around one's own troops).

Somewhere in Macross Chronicle (if memory serves) it says or implies that the Zentradi once had those weapons, but due to a loss of the production plants, they couldn't make new ones; and due to use, loss in combat, and time (the half life of the reactive elements was surpassed), the weapons were effectively 'lost'.

Yeah, the Supervision Army attacked and destroyed the Zentradi Army's reaction weapons factories, and the remaining stockpiles passed their use-by date after the heavy quantum used as the trigger deteriorated. (The Zentradi, not knowing how they worked, presumably hadn't a clue how to recharge the triggers.)

Granted, but those are predominantly strategic, rather than tactical, weapons.

By any conventional estimate, a 100 kiloton nuclear warhead will produce a fireball 500m in diameter, and guaranteed third-degree burns out to a hair under 4,000m... and that's when they're losing a fair bit of the energy to other kinds of radiation.

When you consider that thermonuclear reaction weapons are essentially an OTM-derived, super-efficient pure-fusion warhead and that fireball is basically a tiny temporary star created by heavy quantum and hydrogen, anything or anyone unfortunate enough to be in or near the fireball is going to be vaporized as surely as if they'd taken a swandive into the sun... so you don't need a huge yield to destroy a starship, you just need a direct hit... though even a near miss is going to inflict incredible damage from the intense heat.

Yeah. Sometime before... 7 I believe, they stopped using thermonuclear reactions and started using pair-annihilation reactions.

In universe, it gets you more bang for your buck, out of universe it lets you avoid people being upset that they just literally nuked someone.

I computed the approximate yield of the reaction weapon used in Episode 13 of Delta based on fireball size and came up with a yield of 4 GT. As it is a physically small warhead, I am pretty sure it is an antimatter reaction weapon not a thermonuclear reaction weapon.

Probably an over-estimate considering the detonation was only a few kilometers from Barette City and it didn't even damage the city or the fleet holding station above it.

Major Valan of the New UN Forces identified it as a directional tactical reaction weapon, so the yield was likely relatively low. The standard is likely different due to the differing scale of war, but if 10 gigatons is an anti-fleet munition then 4 gigatons is certainly in the "strategic warhead" category rather than "tactical warhead" category.

Yeah. Sometime before... 7 I believe, they stopped using thermonuclear reactions and started using pair-annihilation reactions.In universe, it gets you more bang for your buck, out of universe it lets you avoid people being upset that they just literally nuked someone.

Whether they actually adopted pair-annihilation for more than the highest-yield (or simply largest) reaction weapons is unclear. Macross Chronicle completely fails to mention pair-annihilation reaction weapons, and discusses only thermonuclear reaction weapons. The majority of reaction weapons are probably still thermonuclear, given that antimatter is an incredibly dangerous and finicky thing to store for any length of time. Hydrogen and heavy quantum are both inert, making storing thermonuclear reaction weapons much safer and a lot more logistically sound considering hydrogen and heavy quantum are both readily available. That also comes with the major advantage that you can't set off a thermonuclear reaction warhead by shooting it, so the chances of accidental missile fratricide or friendly fire resulting from a fighter carrying warheads being shot down are nil compared to the high risks inherent in antimatter weapons.

Were there any major changes going from the YF-21 to VF-22? I know that the BDI/BDS cockpit/canopy was swapped out for a more traditional setup, but anything beyond that?

Ah, yes... there were a number of fairly significant changes, plus a bunch of changes of less importance.

First and foremost, the cockpit was completely redesigned to replace the YF-21's unreliable initial-type BDI system with a traditional control setup supplemented by a support BDI that used a non-contact sensor system.

Secondly, the fuselage was redesigned somewhat... particularly the ventral fuselage and the monitor turret. In the former case, the underside of the fighter was retooled to store both gunpods completely internally to improve passive stealth (previously they were just sort of stuck to the underside). The design of the optical array on the monitor turret was changed, though an explanation of why has not been given. Obviously, the canopy was changed per the above. Somewhere along the way, the aircraft got 210kg lighter.

Third, the free-transforming OTM composite materials used in the YF-21's wings were scrapped and replaced with more conventional joints (the composites were not production-intent design content even when they were being tested on the YF-21).

Lastly, the Macross Chronicle comparison notes that the armaments stations were miniaturized (what precisely this means is unclear.)

There is a caveat again. In fact, most present-day nuclear warheads are actually less powerful than older ones, and it has nothing to do with nuclear pacts. It has to do that 10 low powers MIRVs can destroy an area more effectively via carpet bombing than a large single multimegaton warhead that utterly destroys... a lot of sky and some ground. Do the math yourself, draw a megasphere, see where it intersects with ground level, then fill that circular area with 10 smaller spheres. See? Also, as ICBM precision improved, warheads needed a lower yield to destroy subterranean bunkers, as it could impact within ~50m instead of ~450m from the target. Or you can target the industrial area instead of razing the whole city. More survivors but also a lot of injured or radiation poisoned in need of treatment, while industrial capability is as gone as if razing the area entirely. There is nothing simple about nuclear weapons, all is MAD around those. Surface-to-air missiles to defend nuclear silos were canceled because for the prize of one system you could just build another silo. That in turn meant another aimpoint, which translates to the enemy needing to waste another nuclear head just to destroy another silo, and not some strategic industrial city.

If you are targetting a 4Km long OTM marvel megaship, by all means, go crazy about megatons. But if you are using MDE, that no kind of material or technology shown has been able to shield against, a medium yield warhead turning the middle-aft of a megaship into nothing is as effective as an insanely large MDE yield engulfing one entirely. And you may target ten with ten medium yield where only one could have been targeted with a large one, so the above paragraph considerations about real world nuclear arsenals also apply in Macross.

[Edit]: Sorry for the heavy editing. I commited a LOT of mistakes up there. Even writing air-to-air where it clearly meant surface-to-air.

Edited by Aries Turner

Sorry, I forgot: what are fold carbon rocks about?

I was reading Sketchley's translations and noticed that the wing root of the VF-31A, while not having fold quartz, are that coal color because those have fold carbon instead. A cheap, less efficient alternative? That would certainly put those a notch above VF-25s.

Edited by Aries Turner

I was reading Aaron's translations and noticed that the wing root of the VF-31A, while not having fold quartz, are that coal color because those have fold carbon instead. A cheap, less efficient alternative? That would certainly put those a notch above VF-25s.

That's 'Sketchley's Translations', PATY.

Also, it's not Fold Carbon 'rocks'. Just Fold Carbon.

More info: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRtechnology/08aOvertechnology-SpaceFold.php

Sorry, I forgot: what are fold carbon rocks about?I was reading Aaron's translations and noticed that the wing root of the VF-31A, while not having fold quartz, are that coal color because those have fold carbon instead. A cheap, less efficient alternative? That would certainly put those a notch above VF-25s.

Fold carbon is a (synthetic) substance that's used in overtechnology devices that operate on the higher-dimension physics of fold space. In particular, fold carbon is the catalyst which permits the production of heavy quantum, which is essential to the function of thermonuclear reaction power systems, gravity control systems, converging energy cannons, and so on.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to list fold carbon as "special equipment", since having fold carbon on the aircraft is not only not in any way special but a bare necessity for essential systems like the engines and beam gunpod to operate.

It's a lot like calling blood "special equipment" on a person...

Not a lot of heat transfer in a vacuum so near misses wont be imparting much heat and gaseous blast damage in space.

Heat travels pretty effectively in vacuum as infrared radiation... but yeah, the effects of being adjacent to a blast in space will be somewhat less due to the lack of a pressure wave from an atmosphere.

Fold carbon is a (synthetic) substance that's used in overtechnology devices that operate on the higher-dimension physics of fold space. In particular, fold carbon is the catalyst which permits the production of heavy quantum, which is essential to the function of thermonuclear reaction power systems, gravity control systems, converging energy cannons, and so on.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to list fold carbon as "special equipment", since having fold carbon on the aircraft is not only not in any way special but a bare necessity for essential systems like the engines and beam gunpod to operate.

It's a lot like calling blood "special equipment" on a person...

Heat travels pretty effectively in vacuum as infrared radiation... but yeah, the effects of being adjacent to a blast in space will be somewhat less due to the lack of a pressure wave from an atmosphere.

I'm not sure if it has ever been clarified that Fold Carbon is an entirely synthetic material, or not.

I think you're putting too much stock in the 'day to day uses' of Fold Carbon in the VF-31, and ignoring the 'special uses' aspect. Perhaps considering it in terms of what is the Siegfried using Fold Quartz for, and what the equivalent would be in the Kairos would be more helpful.

Edit: and I forgot to mention this in my preceding post on the topic, too: we're looking at this from the Macross F perspective and definition of Fold Carbon and Fold Quartz. As Kawamori-san has indicated that each Macross series is more or less unique or independent from the others, we can't neglect that the definition of Fold Carbon/Quartz may be somewhat to radically different in the Delta version of the Macross universe.

Edited by sketchley

I'm not sure if it has ever been clarified that Fold Carbon is an entirely synthetic material, or not.

What little I've found on the subject seems to suggest that the vast majority of the fold carbon in use is synthetic.

I do suspect that there is naturally-occurring (or biological) fold carbon in the setting. My pet theory on the matter is that since galactic whales have a partially crystalline body and are fold-capable, that their bodies contain or are made of fold carbon of unusually high quality. That'd explain the rather bizarre statement that galactic whales were being hunted for the benefits the body of the whale could provide to starships.

Just like fold quartz, a higher-purity and larger stone means a better, higher energy reaction and better-quality heavy quantum.

I think you're putting too much stock in the 'day to day uses' of Fold Carbon in the VF-31, and ignoring the 'special uses' aspect. Perhaps considering it in terms of what is the Siegfried using Fold Quartz for, and what the equivalent would be in the Kairos would be more helpful.

I doubt they'll reinvent the wheel for this one... Delta was kind of a minimum-effort series from the mechanical standpoint. The VF-31's systems are mostly nicked from the VF-25 if the stats are anything to go by, and even the Xaos Valkyrie Works custom job is practically a fighter built ala carte from existing systems.

They didn't really introduce any new wrinkles to the setting or the existing technologies this time around... it was almost "Macross by numbers".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I remember something about Walkure attires using fold carbon as well. Now THAT is getting weird.

Haven't seen that myself, but I would not be surprised if it were so.

After all, Walkure's fold song amplification technology is almost certainly built on research and technologies developed by Dr. Gadget M. Chiba in the 2040s (IIRC Dr. Chiba was alleged to be Lady M's protege). The core of the Sound Energy System he developed to amplify song energy was a super dimension converter from a fold system, which probably contained a fair amount of fold carbon. The "microphone" end of the amplifier ought to have a dimensional resonator that can pick up the fold waves of the singer and boost and/or transmit them to the amplifier for further enhancement.

I remembered where I saw that.I think it would be best to follow the discussion there.

Ah, I can have a whack at that when I get home.

(I took an extra day after MacrossWorldCon to do a few more tourist-y things before flying home.)

I was reading Sketchley's translations and noticed that the wing root of the VF-31A, while not having fold quartz, are that coal color because those have fold carbon instead. A cheap, less efficient alternative? That would certainly put those a notch above VF-25s.

Fold Carbon or Fold Coal has been attributed from ECA to Fold Drives. It is wonder material that is core to Overtechnology. Walkure's bras and shoes have them too.

Vajra also have them in their bodies along with Fold Quartz.

Vajra drones mine Fold Ore or Fold Coal from asteroids with the Vajra Queen processing them into Fold Quartz.

Fold Carbon is a black crystalline carbon-like material that has Heavy Quantum. 99% of its mass is in subspace.

What make Fold Quartz different is that it has Super Heavy Quantum state and it resonates zero lag time Fold Waves.

Haven't seen that myself, but I would not be surprised if it were so.

After all, Walkure's fold song amplification technology is almost certainly built on research and technologies developed by Dr. Gadget M. Chiba in the 2040s (IIRC Dr. Chiba was alleged to be Lady M's protege). The core of the Sound Energy System he developed to amplify song energy was a super dimension converter from a fold system, which probably contained a fair amount of fold carbon. The "microphone" end of the amplifier ought to have a dimensional resonator that can pick up the fold waves of the singer and boost and/or transmit them to the amplifier for further enhancement.

According to Macross Chronicle Chiba studied under Mao Nome. After the war Mao Nome researched about songs and the Protoculture.

Whether she is Lady M we don't know as it is presumed to have perished in the Vajra attack on Global.

In any case Berger's theories on Lady M don't jell well. One he said lady M started a study on songs after Space War 1. On the other she debuted right after Ragna received a possible transmission from Megaroad-1.

Edited by RedWolf

According to Macross Chronicle Chiba studied under Mao Nome. After the war Mao Nome researched about songs and the Protoculture.

Whether she is Lady M we don't know as it is presumed to have perished in the Vajra attack on Global.

In any case Berger's theories on Lady M don't jell well. One he said lady M started a study on songs after Space War 1. On the other she debuted right after Ragna received a possible transmission from Megaroad-1.

Lady M may well be Mao Nome. She was researching the Vajra and their capabilities long before the Frontier encountered them. She may be believed to have perished with the Galaxy colony ship, but no wreckage was ever found of that ship. So if the Galaxy survives and she continued her work with the Vajra and fold quartz, it is possible she received a latent transmission from the Megaroad 01 fleet via a fold quartz receiver. Whether that transmission was before or after it's disappearance 50 years prior was never indicated. If she did "show up" after the attack on the Galaxy and founded Xaos then it would appear to answer both questions about who Lady M is and if the Megaroad was ever found.

Edited by Zinjo

Lady M may well be Mao Nome. She was researching the Vajra and their capabilities long before the Frontier encountered them. She may be believed to have perished with the Galaxy colony ship, but no wreckage was ever found of that ship. So if the Galaxy survives and she continued her work with the Vajra and fold quartz, it is possible she received a latent transmission from the Megaroad 01 fleet via a fold quartz receiver. Whether that transmission was before or after it's disappearance 50 years prior was never indicated. If she did "show up" after the attack on the Galaxy and founded Xaos then it would appear to answer both questions about who Lady M is and if the Megaroad was ever found.

Mao didn't die on Macross Galaxy, she died on Galia 4 when the Vajra attacked the planet where the 117th research fleet was in the 2040s, before Galaxy even started scheming to use the Vajra for their evil mind control plans. It is implied Grace studied under Mao along with Ranshe (Ranka's mother), thus why Brera ended up being saved by her and taken to Galaxy whereas Ozma got Ranka out to Frontier.

I don't really understand why so many people are so keen to believe Mao is alive when it was basically stated plainly she died. I keep hearing the idea and there is basically nothing to suggest it. Someone from Megaroad-1 being Lady M makes more sense to me. At least they might actually still be alive.

Mao didn't die on Macross Galaxy, she died on Galia 4 when the Vajra attacked the planet where the 117th research fleet was in the 2040s, before Galaxy even started scheming to use the Vajra for their evil mind control plans. It is implied Grace studied under Mao along with Ranshe (Ranka's mother), thus why Brera ended up being saved by her and taken to Galaxy whereas Ozma got Ranka out to Frontier.

I don't really understand why so many people are so keen to believe Mao is alive when it was basically stated plainly she died. I keep hearing the idea and there is basically nothing to suggest it. Someone from Megaroad-1 being Lady M makes more sense to me. At least they might actually still be alive.

Well everybody in universe believed Mao died. So did everyone else with Grace and Brera till they showed up on Frontier.

Going by the novelization implications of Manfred Brando saving Grace and Manfred being part of the Macross Galaxy cabal implies they've been manipulating from the shadows with Lactence and Black Rainbow. If we go by TV continuity nobody knows where they are now as they are hiding however as demonstrated by Epsilon Foundation with dummy corporations and subsidiaries you can never tell who owns who anymore. People like Mei Leilong and Ivan Tsar somehow having VF-27s when the design was kept secret by Macross Galaxy. The former is the leader of the Ouroboros Hunter Guild while the later is the chief scientist of the shady Zelgar Heavy Industries that experiments with Var Syndrome.

She may be believed to have perished with the Galaxy colony ship, but no wreckage was ever found of that ship.

Because, in the final episode of the series, the ship is revealed to be just fine...

Neither really makes sense, since Lady M has supposedly been active since just after the First Space War and the Megaroad-01 is still MIA in 2067... while Mao has been dead since 2048.

Plus, if Mao were Lady M she would've been one of the wealthiest individuals in the entire galaxy... and wouldn't have needed to beg Critical Path corporation for money to finance her expedition to Vajra space in the 2040s.

People like Mei Leilong and Ivan Tsar somehow having VF-27s when the design was kept secret by Macross Galaxy. The former is the leader of the Ouroboros Hunter Guild while the later is the chief scientist of the shady Zelgar Heavy Industries that experiments with Var Syndrome.

The design was kept secret until mid-2059, at which point they HAD to disclose it because, hey hey, it would've been damn near impossible to deny that they'd been mass producing it from the point Galaxy's "survivors" joined up with the Frontier fleet... and certainly impossible after squadrons of VF-27s fought Frontier's forces at the end of the Vajra conflict.

Galaxy probably coughed up the plans in an effort to avoid sanctions, or their specs were taken by Frontier when Galaxy forces took shelter there.