In SDF he flies a VF-1A with white body and blue limbs, then later a 1J in blue with white trim and a thin red band on the legs.

In DYRL he flies a 1A in Skull Squadron colors with a blue stripe across the chest and blue heatshield. Then a 1S in Skull colors with a blue chest stripe.(And he finishes the movie in a blue QRau, but that's outside the scope of the question.)

In both SDFM and DYRL, what model(s)/paint scheme(s) of VF-1 does Max pilot?

TV:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/variant-vf-1a-max.htm

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/variant-vf-1d-virginroad.htm

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/variant-vf-1j-max.htm

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1j-super-max.htm

DYRL:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/variant-vf-1a-fastpack-max.htm

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/variant-vf-1s-dyrl-max.htm

Mac7:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross7/variant-vf-22s-max.htm

If you google "Hasegawa (name of model) Max" you should be able to find pictures of the model kits of each one, as IIRC all of Max's VF-1s and the VF-22 have been released over the years.

Edited by SebastianP

Don't worry about which one's most important. Get the J because it is the the best version of the VF-1. :p

Also it gives you an excuse to do Millia's red 1J alongside it. You could do an M&M display! I'm helping!

In seriousness... Without timing appearances, my gut instinct is that Max spends most of his screen time in a 1A, but the 1J is more iconic. If you just say "Max's Valk", it'll be the blue 1J that people think of.

And if you do the TV 1A, you need to make a zentradi trenchcoat for it. :)

I always think the of the tv-1a as Max's iconic valk. The blue 1j is not seen that much. Though the 1j is prettier than the his 1a.

Then my perspective is likely skewed by years with a taped-off-the-air collection of Robotech episodes that started with "Exedore" visiting the "SDF-1" for peace negotiations, and ran through a good portion of the post-war arc. Which means the "final battle" and "factory satellite" episodes were frequently watched, and had the M&M 1Js being awesome.

I always assumed in DYRL that Milia was personally and directly responsible for killing Kakizaki right before her amazing duel with Max. But watching the clip for the umpteenth time, I realized it wasn't that clear-cut. Is there an official take or fan consensus on this?

I always assumed in DYRL that Milia was personally and directly responsible for killing Kakizaki right before her amazing duel with Max. But watching the clip for the umpteenth time, I realized it wasn't that clear-cut. Is there an official take or fan consensus on this?

Probably a safe assumption considering it is a pretty straight on shot into the cockpit, something an ace would do well.

An interesting choice since they killed Roy differently in the movie (and if you recall, it was Milia that gave Roy his mortal injuries in the show as well).

Probably a safe assumption considering it is a pretty straight on shot into the cockpit, something an ace would do well.

So, she really made a "Mess" of him? ;-)

I'm not sure it was a cockpit hit, though. Is this clip on Youtube definitive, or are there different edits/versions? It shows Kakizaki talking on the display in Hikaru's cockpit when there is an explosion behind him, causing his chest and helmet to burst (and his left arm weirdly comes up from the bottom of the view, apparently severed at the shoulder?). Hikaru then glances to his right, and see's Kakizaki's valk exploding from the middle - the cause isn't apparent to me - and the canopy is clear and intact (which seems like a minor continuity error, given what we saw on the display). Then Milia appears, leading her flight of Q-Raus, and launches her missiles.

Not trying to be argumentative - I really appreciate the response - I just want to illustrate how puzzling this looks. Maybe it's just the clip - I don't have a good copy of DYRL at hand.

Well it is possible I always chose to see it as a cockpit shot, but it was definitely a single shot kill and regardless of how good everyone is in Macross, doing that with a moving target is not a simple thing. So Milia still seems like a good candidate for being the shooter.

Yes, there are some few statistics so far. It's 17.54 meters long overall, comapred to the VF-31's 19.31 meter length. So they are both pretty close in size and on the bigger side of the variable fighters overall. More statistics can be found on the Macross Compendium entry

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Sv-262_Draken_III

It's interesting stuff.

Edited by Mr March

I, in these parts, often repeated assertion that the poor planetary colonies and expeditionary fleets can not afford to have a good military equipment and, at best, they get a monkey model of Space-UN.

However, in the "Frontier", and now in the "Delta" demonstrates a completely different situation - military units of private military organization "Chaos" and the Knights of the border of the world have the latest fighting machines.

However, regular troops NUNS do not even have to "VF-171EX Super Nightmare Plus" arms, not to mention the aircraft from VF-24 family.

Strangely it all ...

I, in these parts, often repeated assertion that the poor planetary colonies and expeditionary fleets can not afford to have a good military equipment and, at best, they get a monkey model of Space-UN.

Technically, even the wealthy planets and expeditionary fleets are can't get their hands on the very best military hardware. The government tightened the restrictions on the export and sale of weapons to the emigrant fleets and to the regional governments of emigrant worlds thanks, in part, to the YF-19 #2 and YF-21 #2 prototypes breaching Earth's defenses in 2040.

Even the new fighters developed independently by the wealthy emigrant fleets like Macross Frontier and Macross Galaxy are derivatives of the monkey model version of the YF-24 Evolution spec... and there's some evidence to indicate the VF-31 Kairos/Siegfried itself is an "economized" model with some reduced performance compared to the prototype.

However, in the "Frontier", and now in the "Delta" demonstrates a completely different situation - military units of private military organization "Chaos" and the Knights of the border of the world have the latest fighting machines.

It's not that simple, really...

In Macross Frontier, the forces of SMS in the Macross Frontier fleet do have the latest fighter... but one of the very first things we're told by Ozma is that SMS only has the VF-25 because the government hired them to test it in conditions as close to live combat as possible before they start equipping the fleet's military with them. Ozma indicates it's civilians doing the testing in live combat because if one of them dies, it's legally considered an accidental death instead of a combat fatality... so the fleet's government won't have the legal consequences of a real soldier dying.

In Macross Delta, Xaos's VF-31's seem to be reduced capability versions with lower performance than the YF-30 prototype they were based on... and they only seem to have maybe two dozen of them in total. Small numbers and reduced capabilities would make the price tag a little less ruinous for Xaos. Now, on the Aerial Knights side, we don't know the full story yet but it's likely the Windermerean government spared no expense because they didn't have to acquire many fighters to fully equip their forces and they needed a fighter that could oppose whatever the central New UN Spacy is using.

However, regular troops NUNS do not even have to "VF-171EX Super Nightmare Plus" arms, not to mention the aircraft from VF-24 family.Strangely it all...

As noted above, in Macross Frontier the Frontier fleet's military was going to adopt the VF-25 as their next fighter once it was done with testing, and some of the unofficial works like Variable Fighter Master File do indicate that not only did they switch to the VF-25 in the 2060's, they also sold VF-25's to their allies as well. (Macross Olympia also adopted the VF-25 as its next main fighter, and Variable Fighter Episode Archive had the VF-25 being adopted by emigrant planets like Sewell too.)

The NUNS forces in the Brisingr cluster seem to be kind of under-funded thanks to being in a backwater part of the galaxy...

On that note the Laramis star system where Messer is supposed to transfer to is where planet Sephira is. It appeared in Macross VF-X2 and in flashback in Macross 30. Sephira has a branch of SMS as well.

So it is likely in some systems SMS and Kaos is contracted to the same government.

Machine translations are a bit wonky. Can somebody translate this as I am confused what was Naresuan's role during the Varauta campaign in Macross the Ride.

統合軍に入り特務部隊エトワール・フィランの隊長になるも、バロータ戦役時に彼が裏切ったことで部隊は壊滅。

Edited by RedWolf

So I've been thinking about the star valks of the game Macross 30 lately. I recently got a DX YF-29B and absolutely love it. The 29 is already a wonderful upgrade to the 25, and the dark blue colors of the 29B are fantastic (I love dark blues as well, which is also why I'm drawn to Keith's Sv-262Hs). I am actually left a bit wondering about the story behind the YF-29B though. I do own the game, but I have not had the time to play much and have only gotten far enough that I am still flying VF-0s. Thus, while I know the 29B and 30 are important to the game story, I have not personally witnessed it yet and likely I'd have to rely on a synopsis to understand all of it anyway.

Anyway, my point is, the YF-29B Perceval is of course a derivative of the YF-29 Durandal from the Frontier movies which was designed originally as the ultimate anti-Vajra valkyrie but was never produced for cost reasons (until SMS scrapped one together). While it was a successful unit in the final battle, considering all that, I am left wondering why the 29B even exists*. For one, it is a NUNS fighter, which suggests NUNS Frontier and LAI/Shinsei shared that design data and the local NUNS at Uroboros (and Havamal) decided to go ahead and make a version even without the Vajra being a threat anymore (I know there is a Vajra in the game apparently but I don't think it does anything if you leave it be, and I also guess since Havamal is a group with ulterior motives that may be all the reason the 29B exists but I'll continue anyway). More importantly though than why NUNS actually developed a 29 variant after all is whether or not the 29B has any significant differences to the Durandal? All the weapons seem to match, I presume it has a fold wave system too because that is part of what makes the 29 so powerful. I admit I am surprised it doesn't have its own page on the Macross Mecha Manual yet but I know big bulk updates are more common because that is a lot of work.

*(I am assuming only Alto's 29 and Rod's 29B in the game are canon since the DX toys of the Ozma, Isamu, and the 30th anniversary versions are really just special edition toys and not in a story so far as I know).

I am heavily considering picking up a YF-30 too to make a set out of the two since they are the respective rival antagonist and hero valks of the game. As such I was researching that some too (thankfully it does have an MMM page) and it got me thinking. While the FDR system is an upgrade to the fold wave system, giving it that edge, when it comes to weapon load out I am left thinking that the 30 might be a bit less outfitted than the 29B. This comes back to the fact that the 29 in general is basically the valkyrie version of a tank though with its thicker/tougher ECA, auxiliary reaction engines, and larger assortment of weapons. Yeah the 30 has the missile pod, but when the 29 has micro-missiles in its legs and shoulders it kinda matches there, and they both have heavy quantum beam guns. The fact that the 29 in general is basically designed as a 25 with built in tornado parts just makes me wonder if the 30's FDR system really gives it that much more of an edge or if the FDR is only different from the fold wave system in that it can better navigate fold faults (whilst rocking out to Bomba)?

I am actually left a bit wondering about the story behind the YF-29B though. I do own the game, but I have not had the time to play much and have only gotten far enough that I am still flying VF-0s. [...]

Anyway, my point is, the YF-29B Perceval is of course a derivative of the YF-29 Durandal from the Frontier movies which was designed originally as the ultimate anti-Vajra valkyrie but was never produced for cost reasons (until SMS scrapped one together). While it was a successful unit in the final battle, considering all that, I am left wondering why the 29B even exists*. For one, it is a NUNS fighter, which suggests NUNS Frontier and LAI/Shinsei shared that design data and the local NUNS at Uroboros (and Havamal) decided to go ahead and make a version even without the Vajra being a threat anymore (I know there is a Vajra in the game apparently but I don't think it does anything if you leave it be, and I also guess since Havamal is a group with ulterior motives that may be all the reason the 29B exists but I'll continue anyway). More importantly though than why NUNS actually developed a 29 variant after all is whether or not the 29B has any significant differences to the Durandal? All the weapons seem to match, I presume it has a fold wave system too because that is part of what makes the 29 so powerful. I admit I am surprised it doesn't have its own page on the Macross Mecha Manual yet but I know big bulk updates are more common because that is a lot of work.

OK... so, you'll see a LOT of the YF-29B in the game. Its pilot, Rod Baltemar, is The Rival so he shows up here and there to drop exposition or a vague hint as the plot develops. (Actually, you've already fought him once... he was the supposed-to-lose fight at the beginning after you defeat the Ghosts he sicced on you.)

As to why Havamal felt the need to equip its top ace with an improved version of the YF-29... you could say it's a "sorting algorithm of evil" affair. That was, and by in large still is, the most over-the-top powerful Valkyrie on the market in the 5th Generation. In terms of its flight performance, the already over-the-top VF-27 needed a Super Pack and elite pilot just to keep up. Rod's Havamal's ace (in the hole), so with a fighter that overpowered he can expect to curbstomp pretty much anyone in a fair fight... which would be key to keep the Hunter's Guild, Bandits, etc. from getting underfoot. Only the YF-30 is a match for it... which is why Rod is the 2nd to last boss fight.

How the NUNS Special Forces got their hands on the blueprints... sharing isn't just caring, it's mandatory. Under galaxy law, newly-developed weapons have to be disclosed to the New UN Government. It's part of how the central NUNS keeps tabs on the military capabilities of the emigrant forces, and ensures that its forces always have the biggest stick. (To a certain extent this also works the other way 'round, since the central NUNS shared the YF-24 Evolution specs with the emigrant fleets, which became the basis for the VF-25, VF-27, YF-29, etc.)

Exactly what the difference between the YF-29 Durandal and YF-29B Percival is remains to be given... all we know is that the YF-29B is an improved version. Unlike the YF-30, it didn't get a full set of specs or a decent selection of art published, so we're kind of unable to cover it properly on M3 at present. The only outward difference seems to be more guns on the monitor turret and a bayonet on the gun pod.

*(I am assuming only Alto's 29 and Rod's 29B in the game are canon since the DX toys of the Ozma, Isamu, and the 30th anniversary versions are really just special edition toys and not in a story so far as I know).

The 30th Anniversary YF-29 is just a special redeco of the YF-29 toy, but the Isamu and Ozma ones do figure into the plot. Isamu's, in particular, even has its own cutscene introduction.

I am heavily considering picking up a YF-30 too to make a set out of the two since they are the respective rival antagonist and hero valks of the game. As such I was researching that some too (thankfully it does have an MMM page) and it got me thinking. While the FDR system is an upgrade to the fold wave system, giving it that edge, when it comes to weapon load out I am left thinking that the 30 might be a bit less outfitted than the 29B. This comes back to the fact that the 29 in general is basically the valkyrie version of a tank though with its thicker/tougher ECA, auxiliary reaction engines, and larger assortment of weapons. Yeah the 30 has the missile pod, but when the 29 has micro-missiles in its legs and shoulders it kinda matches there, and they both have heavy quantum beam guns. The fact that the 29 in general is basically designed as a 25 with built in tornado parts just makes me wonder if the 30's FDR system really gives it that much more of an edge or if the FDR is only different from the fold wave system in that it can better navigate fold faults (whilst rocking out to Bomba)?

Essentially... the YF-29B is all business. It's a proven design and its one job is to find things and make those things dead, and it's very good at it. The YF-30 is a still-in-testing technology demonstrator/evaluator for the fold dimensional resonance system and, to a lesser extent, the ordinance container system.

OK... so, you'll see a LOT of the YF-29B in the game. Its pilot, Rod Baltemar, is The Rival so he shows up here and there to drop exposition or a vague hint as the plot develops. (Actually, you've already fought him once... he was the supposed-to-lose fight at the beginning after you defeat the Ghosts he sicced on you.)

As to why Havamal felt the need to equip its top ace with an improved version of the YF-29... you could say it's a "sorting algorithm of evil" affair. That was, and by in large still is, the most over-the-top powerful Valkyrie on the market in the 5th Generation. In terms of its flight performance, the already over-the-top VF-27 needed a Super Pack and elite pilot just to keep up. Rod's Havamal's ace (in the hole), so with a fighter that overpowered he can expect to curbstomp pretty much anyone in a fair fight... which would be key to keep the Hunter's Guild, Bandits, etc. from getting underfoot. Only the YF-30 is a match for it... which is why Rod is the 2nd to last boss fight.

How the NUNS Special Forces got their hands on the blueprints... sharing isn't just caring, it's mandatory. Under galaxy law, newly-developed weapons have to be disclosed to the New UN Government. It's part of how the central NUNS keeps tabs on the military capabilities of the emigrant forces, and ensures that its forces always have the biggest stick. (To a certain extent this also works the other way 'round, since the central NUNS shared the YF-24 Evolution specs with the emigrant fleets, which became the basis for the VF-25, VF-27, YF-29, etc.)

Exactly what the difference between the YF-29 Durandal and YF-29B Percival is remains to be given... all we know is that the YF-29B is an improved version. Unlike the YF-30, it didn't get a full set of specs or a decent selection of art published, so we're kind of unable to cover it properly on M3 at present. The only outward difference seems to be more guns on the monitor turret and a bayonet on the gun pod.

The 30th Anniversary YF-29 is just a special redeco of the YF-29 toy, but the Isamu and Ozma ones do figure into the plot. Isamu's, in particular, even has its own cutscene introduction.

Essentially... the YF-29B is all business. It's a proven design and its one job is to find things and make those things dead, and it's very good at it. The YF-30 is a still-in-testing technology demonstrator/evaluator for the fold dimensional resonance system and, to a lesser extent, the ordinance container system.

All helpful answers. I presume the Ozma and Isamu 29s are in the game as well since I know they weren't in the Frontier movies (since Isamu is flying a VF-19 there that we see for all of 2 seconds and Ozma just his typical VF-25).

Considering that the 29 is so proven, despite its clearly high price tag... and has now 2 prototype models, I could almost imagine that Central NUNS might eventually produce a VF series based on it for special ops missions much in the same way they used the VF-22. I mean.. if they are going to carry the biggest stick after all...

Still the fact that the 30 is the only thing that can hold up to the 29B considering all that whilst still being a demonstrator really implies it too is something special. The OCS mentioned is of course a great concept especially since it can change for each mission (and as seen in Delta, there are many possibilities for such packages), but it seems like it really is the Fold Dimensional Resonance system that is the key. It must really top the Fold Wave system.

That also really makes me realize how watered down the VF-31 is in comparison though to the YF-30. I think the VF-31 looks nicer (especially the 31A Kairos model), but that is only has a 'standard' fold wave system as far as we've been told and apparently lowered specs compared to the 30 means they really took the concept Super Prototype literally. Though I suppose as the trope page suggests, the 30 wasn't designed specifically to be like the 31, hence the term tech demonstrator.

Finally I realized, amusingly, after Seto replied that I posted this in the questions thread which actually works out.. but I really thought I was posting in the mecha discussion thread, lol. Sorry if it got a little too focused there.

That also really makes me realize how watered down the VF-31 is in comparison though to the YF-30. I think the VF-31 looks nicer (especially the 31A Kairos model), but that is only has a 'standard' fold wave system as far as we've been told and apparently lowered specs compared to the 30 means they really took the concept Super Prototype literally. Though I suppose as the trope page suggests, the 30 wasn't designed specifically to be like the 31, hence the term tech demonstrator.

According to official website info the VF-31 Siegfried are in house customs of Kaos Works, hence the Fold Wave System with big pieces of Fold Quartz. The VF-31 Kairos, VF-31A and VF-31B, don't have that it seems. The Kairos is produced by Surya Aerospace a joint venture of LAI, Shinsei Industries and a third company whose name escapes me.

The YF-29B Percival it seems was produced by Shinsei Industries.

Thus the irony of the situation. General Galaxy now has a hold on the mainline craft with the VF-171, if your government is cheap. While Shinsei Industries may have captured the elite or special forces market with the VF-25, YF-29B, and VF-31. In the 2040's it was the other way around.

Thus the irony of the situation. General Galaxy now has a hold on the mainline craft with the VF-171, if your government is cheap. While Shinsei Industries may have captured the elite or special forces market with the VF-25, YF-29B, and VF-31. In the 2040's it was the other way around.

Sort of... the dominance General Galaxy suddenly gained after the NUNS scrubbed plans for the VF-19 to be the next main fighter seems like it's destined to be an all-too-fleeting triumph.

The painful irony (for General Galaxy) is that while they were resting on their laurels with the contract for the last standard main variable fighter of the New UN Forces, Shinsei's top designers achieved a design coup of even greater scope. They went back to the formerly-joint development YF-24 program that General Galaxy had abandoned and finished it... and thanks to the technology-sharing mandates of the New UN Government and the newfound autonomy that many emigrant fleets found in arming their forces under the reorganized government, Shinsei's new prototype became the basis for every locally-developed 5th Generation fighter we've yet seen in Macross.

Talk about a coup and a black eye for General Galaxy... not only did Shinsei comprehensively recapture the main variable fighter role, they did it in such a way that even the new VF the General Galaxy flying laboratory (Macross Galaxy) produced was based on a Shinsei design.

This got me thinking. How are colonists selected? Do you have to have some skill or attribute required before you are shoved into space while looking for a new place to live on?

Macross Chronicle unhelpfully says almost nothing on the matter... noting the emigrant fleets launched in the aftermath of the First Space War made use of cloned personnel due to a shortage of people with the essential skills. (Of course, as a good percentage of the Earth's population was made up of cloned humans during that period, it means very little.)

In practice, it seems like the only real requirement to join an emigrant fleet is to have a level of mental stability such that you can handle being locked in an overlarge bottle cast adrift in space for an unspecified period of time. That most of the fleets seem to be quite nice places to live (Macross Galaxy being the exception) seems to help a fair bit. The city ships seem to be just like any other municipality... if you don't count the hypercarbon and herculite walls, and the way it's hurtling through space on a plume of fusion plasma. Fleet authorities probably try to keep a balanced economy going, so we likely won't see any ships setting sail with 10 million telemarketers aboard (unless they're en route to the nearest star).

Fleet authorities probably try to keep a balanced economy going, so we likely won't see any ships setting sail with 10 million telemarketers aboard (unless they're en route to the nearest star).

Though Macross Musiculture seems to imply military-industrial complex is important for a healthy fleet economy. Macross 29 went into a recession due to its pacifist stance. Besides that is tourism and media entertainment are big money earners too.

With a lawyer escort squadron.

Can you imagine the patents,trademarks, and copyrights? One of the reasons why the Anti-UN Alliance happened was the distribution of Overtechnology.

Macross 11 has Fire Bomber American and Ragna has Ragnyan-nyan you have to wonder how lawsuits work as it doesn't seem to be happening on those cases.

How about those airline companies that go from one colony to another, isn't there a chance that it gets too far? I mean Sheryl travelled to Frontier from Galaxy. Any chance they also toured other fleets? And if you are a tourist and the distance between one fleet to another gets farther as you stay in the other place longer, won't that pose a problem?

Macross 11 has Fire Bomber American and Ragna has Ragnyan-nyan you have to wonder how lawsuits work as it doesn't seem to be happening on those cases.

As I had written before, each colony could be independent jurisdictions based on trademark/patent/copyright law, and registering at the trademark/patent offices in every colony is difficult.

Though Macross Musiculture seems to imply military-industrial complex is important for a healthy fleet economy. Macross 29 went into a recession due to its pacifist stance.

Sort of. What I understand from the plot summations that've been published in magazines and so on, it wasn't so much the absence of that military-industrial complex that ruined Macross-29's economy as it was the socio-political fallout of the fleet government's unarmed neutrality policy. They made themselves into a nation that could be bullied pretty darn easily by other fleets or planetary governments and had few, if any, allies.

Basically, their economy went to hell because they had no way to protect their interests.

Can you imagine the patents,trademarks, and copyrights? One of the reasons why the Anti-UN Alliance happened was the distribution of Overtechnology.Macross 11 has Fire Bomber American and Ragna has Ragnyan-nyan you have to wonder how lawsuits work as it doesn't seem to be happening on those cases.

That's a little different... the Anti-Unification Alliance was PO'd because it saw the uneven distribution of overtechnology as a sign that the UN Government was a NATO old boy's club. That kind of problem is (mostly) solved by the New UN Government's mandated technology sharing.

Kawamori has compared the New UN Government to the European Union in a couple interviews, so I'd assume on that basis that the member states all honor some common, centrally-mandated intellectual property laws (and possibly a central copyright, patent, and trademark agency for registering it all).

We know that Nyan-Nyan is a popular interstellar restaurant chain, so Chuck's family's restaurant is probably just a local Nyan-Nyan franchise like the one Ranka worked at on Island-1.

The Macross-11 fleet's unauthorized Fire Bomber cover band is probably is one that's less clear. One of the few things that's said about it is that it's an utterly unauthorized cover band run by Lynn Kaifun that's despised everywhere that isn't Macross-11. As to why Fire Bomber doesn't sue... that could be the result of Basara just being stoked about people liking his music, or it could be because Fire Bomber American is hopelessly unpopular outside of its native emigrant fleet. No sense suing someone who's too broke to pay out, right?

How about those airline companies that go from one colony to another, isn't there a chance that it gets too far? I mean Sheryl travelled to Frontier from Galaxy. Any chance they also toured other fleets? And if you are a tourist and the distance between one fleet to another gets farther as you stay in the other place longer, won't that pose a problem?

Maybe... the emigrant fleets don't fold on short notice unless there's been an emergency situation, but fold systems have gotten progressively better as time has gone on. There are often YEARS between long-distance fold jumps, so unless someone is abroad for a really long time it probably won't be an issue.

Longer trips may call for the larger, more cruise ship-like transports instead of the smaller, jet airliner-style commercial spacecraft... especially if the trip is likely to take multiple fold jumps and require days (experienced time) of fold travel. It seems like most jumps of a couple hundred light years aren't any worse than a long-ish international flight.

Just how fast are post SDF Macross dogfights?

'cause I've been playing around with some of my Valkyrie replicas over at Kerbal Space Program and gave them damn near their actual performances with the exception of stuff like the Flow vector control or something like it which releases gas over the airframe to help aid aero.

I gave them almost their exact power-to-weight ratios and I'm just taking a educated guess at their center-of-mass vs center-of-lift but they have to be near aligned with another to give them their ability to pull cobras at mach speed and change directions near instantaneously and after finally figuring out a way of preventing the wings ripping off during Mach2+ maneuvers I have to ask, at what speeds do the dogfights happen at in each series?

Especially from Frontier and Delta, cause I've flown replicas (in KSP) of the YF-29 and the VF-31 and only 25g's of inertia dampening isnt a whole lot when considering the replicas Ive made with near exact power-to-weight ratios hit acceleration G's approaching 20g's from around a cruising speed of 325m/s to full 2000kn+ throttle and a maneuver at full throttle I'm recording G's breaking through past the 100g's mark.

Though how they fly at full throttle certainly looks like the show especially when they're all glowing golden and flying past their limits like Alto's 29 and Messer and Hayate's 31 with near instant vector changes and the look of zigzagging across the sky but are they really only pulling 20+ G's in the show or should I just overlook it?

post-13018-0-32431200-1469080380_thumb.jpg

Edited by ManhattanProject972

So... has there been any explanation why the Macross capital ships transform, other than the SDF-1? If I recall the SDF-1 had to transform in order to rewire some stuff to fire the cannon; i.e., the cannon wouldn't work unless the ship was configured in such a way. What is the purpose of the other ships (Battle-class, Elysion, Quarter, etc.) transforming? Why not just fire?

So... has there been any explanation why the Macross capital ships transform, other than the SDF-1? If I recall the SDF-1 had to transform in order to rewire some stuff to fire the cannon; i.e., the cannon wouldn't work unless the ship was configured in such a way. What is the purpose of the other ships (Battle-class, Elysion, Quarter, etc.) transforming? Why not just fire?

Because it looks cool.

A logical explanation, based on the position of the various small turrets on the Macross ships, is that when in Attack Mode, all guns could be fired in a frontal "broadside".

Because it looks cool.

Yes I obviously get that, thanks, but I was wondering if there was an in-universe explanation. Not looking for anything super convincing (it's Macross after all), just any explanation at all.

A logical explanation, based on the position of the various small turrets on the Macross ships, is that when in Attack Mode, all guns could be fired in a frontal "broadside".

That's reasonable.

Edited by aurance

It's more maneuverable.