because the J isn't significantly different from the S or the A.

Actually, there are a lot of differences. Aside from the S being commanding officer specification (with enhanced C&C capabilities, better engines and so on), it and the J type are made with better materials than the A type. On the surface the details might not look to different, but there are inherent differences in quality (one interpretation is that the A type is more prone to wearing out and/or breaking).

Also, aside from the increased armaments (the dual head lasers) on the J type, there are a bunch of sources that state that it is the only VF capable of supporting the VF-1's armour pack (supported on screen by the lone appearance of a VF-1J in DYRL being the one that's in the armour). Not surprising as the J type and the Armour pack have the same development manufacturer.

If memory serves, the F in the VF-25F stands for Fighter (as in all the different models of VF-25 are specialized in some way, and the VF-25F is specialized in manoeuvrability and other things that give it an edge over the other ones in combat).

The VF-19F is easier to explain: there are VF-19A,B,C,D and E models. It's simply the next available model designation. (A and C more closely resembling the YF-19, B and D being the two seater variants of the C and D, respectively, and the E being an experimental type for the F and S, not to mention the base for the VF-19 Kai).

Edited by sketchley

IIRC, the Macross Chronicle says that the VF-1J was manufactured in Japan...

I think he's talking about the real world there, not the fictional Macross one.

Anyhow, while having dinner I realized that I had just translated something on the differences between the VF-1A/J/S (man, too busy these days...):

http://sketchleytranslation.host-ed.me/MCRmechanic/All01aVFmasterpiecesVF-1.php#reverseL

That sheet is teh sex. It also has the differences between the models in point form!

The VF-19F is easier to explain: there are VF-19A,B,C,D and E models. It's simply the next available model designation. (A and C more closely resembling the YF-19, B and D being the two seater variants of the C and D, respectively, and the E being an experimental type for the F and S, not to mention the base for the VF-19 Kai).

Also, keep in mind "D" doesn't always have to stand for dual-seat. VF-17D is a single-seat craft. And just happens to be the next letter in the alphabet.

So is there no FB7 soundtrack? Only a Bluray DVD?

Is there anywhere to get some if the live Fukuyama concerts.

Specifically where he does "my soul for you" like Basara does in the series.

It's on YouTube but I don't want to post links to obviously unlicensed content.

The question is why is the "regular" VF-19 from M7 a F and the "regular" VF-17 a D?

Did something happen during the development of the VF-19 that lead to more variants of the Excalibur?

Same thing as happened to the VF-19 as I posted earlier in this thread. There were already VF-17A to C (being that they had under-powered engines is beside the point) and the VF-17D was the production model at the time of Diamond Force's formation.

So is there no FB7 soundtrack? Only a Bluray DVD?

Is there anywhere to get some if the live Fukuyama concerts.

Specifically where he does "my soul for you" like Basara does in the series.

It's on YouTube but I don't want to post links to obviously unlicensed content.

There wasn't enough new music in FB7 to warrant a soundtrack. There were only two new songs in it (Totsugeki Nyannyan medley and Virgin Road) and these were released as a single.

My Soul For You has been on 3 or 4 Fukuyama DVDs.

1)Yoshiyuki Fukuyama presents Firebomber 2005: A Tribute to Nekki Basara

2)Electric Fire 2007: Tribute to Basara & Mylene

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ELECTRIC-FIRE-2007%7ETribute-BASARA-MYLENE%7E/dp/B0014X97U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390625234&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+fire

3)The PARTY: 20 Flight Rock Special 2 Days (Fukuyama 20th anniversary concert DVD set - at for DVDs its massive but focuses more on his Hummingbird and solo stuff than M7. It does have My Soul for You on it though.)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/福山芳/THE-PARTY~20-FLIGHT-Special-2DAYS~/dp/B005GIA37Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390625292&sr=8-3&keywords=福山芳樹

The only Bluray with Fukuyama on it (to date) has been the extras on the FB7 bluray.

post-9325-0-41098700-1390625427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

Question: What's the song the green-haired girl on the big screens in Macross 7 is singing?

I'm guessing you mean Emilia from "The Galaxy is Calling Me!"

The name of the song is "Heart and Soul", iirc

No, I think he's talking about the TV series. It's called "Soko no Aru no ga Mirai Dakara," and it's on both the second Macross II soundtrack, the first Macross 7: Galaxy Network Chart album.

The VF-0 can mount the micromissile pods on the dorsal shoulders, the Vf-0D appears to have the same structures used to mount the pods on its own upper surface. Is there any evidence for or against it being able to mount the missile pods there?

edit: images removed, question answered

Edited by Andras

Greetings,

I apologize in advance if this topic is posted under the wrong forum. I will be passing through Tokyo soon and wanted to purchase some Macross DVDs. Will the discs play in U.S. DVD players or computers? I believe they are formatted for the same region. Additionally, do most of the Macross series in Japan have English subtitles? Should I be looking out for a certain series while in Japan?

Is there a certain title that can be found in Japan but difficult to obtain back stateside?

Thanks in advance.

OkinawaHai!

Japan and Europe shares the same dvd region, Blue ray shares it with the US.

PC drives should be region independent, many DVD players can also be 'modded'.

Sorry, can't answer the rest as all my anime watching is in Japanese or subbed(rarely). But doubt if they are common unless a licence agreement exists.

I do hate dubs may they be E-J,J-E or any other language I can speak/understand.

Edited by CrazyDude

Will the discs play in U.S. DVD players or computers? I believe they are formatted for the same region. Additionally, do most of the Macross series in Japan have English subtitles? Should I be looking out for a certain series while in Japan?

Is there a certain title that can be found in Japan but difficult to obtain back stateside?

It varies depending on the type of media, the operating system on your computer, and some other factors... but when it comes to DVD players, generally speaking the answer is "No" unless you have a region-free player.

Most Macross releases don't have English subtitles, no... the forthcoming (is it still forthcoming?) box set of the two movies for Macross Frontier stands out because it actually DOES.

Greetings,

I apologize in advance if this topic is posted under the wrong forum. I will be passing through Tokyo soon and wanted to purchase some Macross DVDs. Will the discs play in U.S. DVD players or computers? I believe they are formatted for the same region. Additionally, do most of the Macross series in Japan have English subtitles? Should I be looking out for a certain series while in Japan?

You'll need to have: 1) an all region or multi-region DVD player (many, but not all, portable DVD players are multi or all region), 2) a 0 region DVD player (but these can be iffy), 3) a modified DVD player or game console, or 4) a japanese DVD player. You'd probably be better off picking up the Blu-ray verion of whatever is available on BD as Japan and North America are in the same Blu-ray region.

With the exception of the Macross Frontier BD set the only macross series' that is available with english subtitles are SDF Macross, Macross II, and Macross Plus due to the fact that they were the only Macross series' available in North America (their availability can be iffy but apparently Rightstuf.com has Macross II in stock and are restocking their Macross Plus). However, if you pick up the Japanese Macross Plus BDs you'll find that they have english subtitles (the OVA version even has the english audio track from the North American release).

For Macross, pretty much all of the series', with the exception of Macross II and Macross Plus are relatively difficult to obtain in the US, though there are a number of online retailers, and stores specializing in importing movies that can get them for you. Just remember that the older the series is the harder it'll be to obtain them.

Edited by camk4evr

With the exception of the Macross Frontier BD set the only macross series' that is available with english subtitles are SDF Macross, Macross II, and Macross Plus due...

Correction: the Macross Frontier Movies. The TV series BDs don't have English subs. And the movie set isn't coming out until March.

You'd probably be better off picking up the Blu-ray verion of whatever is available on BD as Japan and North America are in the same Blu-ray region.

Just posting this for others in case they aren't aware. The following BDs are completely region free (verified by playing in my Australian region B Playstation 3).

• The first Macross Budokan concert
  • SDF Macross series
  • DRYL
  • Flashback 2012
  • Both Frontier movies (original print run)
  • Flashback 7

I can't vouch for anything else as that's all I own, but I suspect Bandai aren't region locking anything Macross related. Not particularly helpful for anybody buying DVDs rather than Blu Rays of course.

Quick question: Been looking at this DVD set for SDFM on eBay and I'm wondering if anyone knows something about it, obviously a bootleg, but how's the quality, the subtitles, etc...

post-28635-0-87518000-1391751028_thumb.jpg

Edited by DuffCon

Quick question: Been looking at this DVD set for SDFM on eBay and I'm wondering if anyone knows something about it, obviously a bootleg, but how's the quality, the subtitles, etc...

With all due respect, don't buy bootlegs. You're just encouraging piracy.

Have you tried checking the "For sale" section in this site? Every now and again someone sells a set there Someone was selling the brilliant Australian Madman release of Macross a couple of weeks ago.

Hi,

1) Some time ago I noticed that within the DYRL movie there was "Flash Back" sign displayed during Minmei´s concert (end of the movie). I´m not sure that this could be mean something other than actually reinforce it was a movie released in 2031 (as the official chronology says).

2) Being that DYRL is actually a movie inside the history and that actually it was an actress playing the role of Minmei, in which part within the story is Flashback 2012 located? is it just another in-side-the-macross universe movie?

thanks,

Oskull