Well, apparently, judging by Macross F, there were at least a teenage Mao Nome and a certain Kabuki dancer (Alto's ancestor) among the survivors?

Question from 8 year old viewer - "wait, the Macross main cannon used to destroy entire Zentradi ships - now it shoots at Kamjin and his ship still flies?"

I had to make up an answer - that the cannon is likely less effective when used in atmosphere. I guess the real answer is "it's a TV cartoon episode hastily scripted after an extension"? Or did the cannon shot actually miss?

Question from 8 year old viewer - "wait, the Macross main cannon used to destroy entire Zentradi ships - now it shoots at Kamjin and his ship still flies?"

I had to make up an answer - that the cannon is likely less effective when used in atmosphere. I guess the real answer is "it's a TV cartoon episode hastily scripted after an extension"? Or did the cannon shot actually miss?

I'd say it was a combination of not being a direct and the fact that the Macross was in pretty bad condition and not operating anywhere near its full power capacity.

Guest davidwhangchoi

hey all, i got another noob question, please pardon me as i'm always curious,

I brought a bandai 1/72 vf-1a mass production super fighter model back in the 90s (fighter mode only)

waterback2.gif

waterback2.gif

i remember the engines inside the feet looked round similar to the front main intakes.

while the yamato vf-1 intakes are the common rectangle thrust output feet.

was i imagining this and just got it mixed up? or was there actually different designs for the thrust output for the feet?

thanks!

VF-1, right? There are at least two versions of the engine exhaust ports withing the feet:

Normal:

jet engine exhaust port (round shaped) through rectangular 2D Thrust vectoring nozzles/feet

GERWALK Flow Controller:

5 small, rectangular flow controllers are added between the engine exhaust port and the rectangular 2D thrust vectoring nozzles.

The later can be seen when Fokker's VF-1S lands in GERWALK in either the 1st or 2nd episode of SDF:M.

Guest davidwhangchoi

VF-1, right? There are at least two versions of the engine exhaust ports withing the feet:

Normal:

jet engine exhaust port (round shaped) through rectangular 2D Thrust vectoring nozzles/feet

GERWALK Flow Controller:

5 small, rectangular flow controllers are added between the engine exhaust port and the rectangular 2D thrust vectoring nozzles.

The later can be seen when Fokker's VF-1S lands in GERWALK in either the 1st or 2nd episode of SDF:M.

thanks sketchley again for the knowledge, so the types are really no different and change shape between fighter and gerwalk... (one variable design that can't be captured by one mold?)

not sure if i got that correct , i think i might've seen it on the vf-0s feet too, (man i forget as my vf-0s are sealed and don't have an open one anymore)

or if there are two separate design types, (i'm still not sure if this is relevant because i may have misunderstood) which one would be the official design for the vf-1..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Two separate designs. The mechanism itself, from what I've gleaned, must be changed at base (meaning: it's not something you can press a button to activate).

Both are official... (or the flow controller was an extra detail that disappeared during the series run, like the Vajra's version of chaff/flare anti-missile defence.)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Two separate designs. The mechanism itself, from what I've gleaned, must be changed at base (meaning: it's not something you can press a button to activate).

Both are official... (or the flow controller was an extra detail that disappeared during the series run, like the Vajra's version of chaff/flare anti-missile defence.)

Thanks, it good to know they're both official. The 5 rectangle gerwalk flow controller as on the yamato's vf-1 are the ones that disappeared? i thought that was the version that remained in the series and the normal jet engine exhaust disappeared. but anyways, it cool to know people with this range of knowledge to solve another mystery from my youth.

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely remember a Kawamori quote regarding DYRL/SDF continuity/canon differences; something like "The truth is somewhere in between" or some other such cop-out, er phrasing.

Can anyone provide me with the exact quote or interview?

Thanks!

I have read some scattered comments related to the size of Zentradis on older threads that did not seem to get any response and I found them to be quite interesting.

So according to these comments scientists have stated that huge versions of living creatures as we know them are sometimes impossible due to physical constraints, i.e. you cant have a 50 feet insect.

Anyway, do anyone knows if there is documented impossibility for humans to become as big as the Zentradi are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law#Biomechanics

If I recall the reference material for Macross says that Zentradi are more than just huge humans. They're augmented by super Protoculture science.

Bingo.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28072&page=2#entry680780

(That said, I still doubt the Zentradi could ACTUALLY survive Earth's gravity.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow, I knew you meant frontier:)

Same answer..

My question is why the disappearing act?

Again& again!

Megaroad disappears, shin& Serra disappear & of course Alto had to go & disappear!( in the movie)

Which begs for a follow up. Will we be left handling on Alto's surprise vacation?

What a way to avoid telling the girls he's just gay. Haha just kidding!

But really, is that it for Frontier??

F7 doesn't count!

Somehow, I knew you meant frontier:)

Same answer..

My question is why the disappearing act?

Again& again!

Megaroad disappears, shin& Serra disappear & of course Alto had to go & disappear!( in the movie)

Which begs for a follow up. Will we be left handling on Alto's surprise vacation?

What a way to avoid telling the girls he's just gay. Haha just kidding!

But really, is that it for Frontier??

F7 doesn't count!

Although we found out 2 weeks ago that Alto IS alive at least and is trying to get back to the fleet.

Also, the fact that Sheryl is awake and singing shooting star in the credits while referring to miracles happening thanks to her fans suggests that she did indeed wake up (and since she is singing and not out scouring the galaxy Im presuming that this means that Alto made it back). There's a lot of assumptions in that hypothesis but IMO it makes sense if you think about it.

Also, we have already kind of moved on from Frontier anyway with the Macross 30 cast in 2060.

So at this point is there any plans for more TV series, or is it pretty much just the game filling in?

Do you mean will there be any more Frontier? or will there be any more Macross?

Of course there will be more Macross eventually. As to whether theres any more Frontier, that's going to depend on whether creative or market forces win out.

And while the game includes Frontier characters it has its own new and unique cast of characters which are very much cannon (as much as that word can be used when it comes to Macross)- even the recent Crossover 30 concert featured a Macross 30 song among all the other usual suspects.

Edited by Tochiro